Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bryan Lee(30) Test drove a Dodge Challenger at 100mph, crashed killing 2 people

Bryan Lee(30) Test drove a Dodge Challenger at 100mph, crashed killing 2 people

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- A Louisville man is facing charges after a fatal crash that happened while he was test driving a car from an auto dealership.

The crash happened Sunday afternoon near the intersection of Fern Valley Road and Fern Valley Way.

Investigators said Bryan Lee, 30, was driving a 2009 Dodge Challenger when he hit a Mercury Sable that was turning into an apartment complex.

Police said Lee was going 100 miles an hour in a 45 mile per hour zone when he ran into a vehicle on Fern Valley Road with two people inside.

Judge Janice Martin chastised Lee during the arraignment.

"Sir, this is the most egregious thing that I think I have seen in my 16 years on the bench, that somebody would test drive a vehicle and drive at a rate of 100 miles an hour, endangering the lives of not only yourself, but of hundreds of other people on the road," she said.

The victims have been identified as Toya Buckner-Dioum, 40, and Sherman King Sr., 63.

King was Buckner-Dioum's stepfather. Both were wearing their seat belts.

Lee's bond is $100,000.

http://www.wlky.com/news/20523273/detail.html#

http://www.myspace.com/bslee9853

The car he hit:

I am not sure how he hit the driver side of the Sable, if they were turning into apartments... Unless they were illegally turning from the wrong lane or he swerved to avoid them and  happened to go the same direction as them.

Re: Bryan Lee(30) Test drove a Dodge Challenger at 100mph, crashed killing 2 people

White Trash Nascar fan is my guess.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

Re: Bryan Lee(30) Test drove a Dodge Challenger at 100mph, crashed killing 2 people

Ooh the dealership is in some trouble!
    The salesman should have been in the passenger seat and should have been screaming at him to slow the eff down
    When I went test driving the Challenger I definitely wasn't preapred for how quick I hit such a high speed, but 100 mph is no accident.

RIP Toya & Sherman

[quote author=HockeyGirl link=topic=21884.msg1369791#msg1369791 date=1251144489]
    Ooh the dealership is in some trouble!
    The salesman should have been in the passenger seat and should have been screaming at him to slow the eff down
    When I went test driving the Challenger I definitely wasn't preapred for how quick I hit such a high speed, but 100 mph is no accident.

RIP Toya & Sherman
    [/quote]

Yeah, I'm surprised dealerships still allow customers to go out on their own.

On another forum, a year or so ago, they had a big thing where a dealership let a kid test drive a Nissan Skyline. The kid left a fake ID and never came back. Luckily for the Dealership, They posted about it being stolen, on a forum and that led to a bunch of sightings of the stupid kid racing it around town... Much stalking and LOLs later, he was arrested.

It just seems logical that a dealership would protect itself and NOT let people take the car without a salesperson.

Then again, When I test drove a Mazda RX8, the salesperson was encouraging me to go faster then I felt necessary (i was already going faster then I 'should have' on some curvy backroad) So the salesperson doesn't always do the right thing. :lol:

Do any of the articles mention if he was alone?

None of the articles I have read have said anything about a salesperson (Or even about the dealership.). I assume that IF he was in the car, They'd mention at some point that the salesperson was uninjured.

I am sure the salesperson isn't OK though, As he is probably looking for a new job now. :lol:

[quote author=boogieman link=topic=21884.msg1369817#msg1369817 date=1251145561]
    None of the articles I have read have said anything about a salesperson (Or even about the dealership.). I assume that IF he was in the car, They'd mention at some point that the salesperson was uninjured.

I am sure the salesperson isn't OK though, As he is probably looking for a new job now. :lol:
    [/quote]

:lol: true!

Great find Boogie
    Update if you find anything!

It just bewilders me that a dealership would let him take such a powerful car alone
    The guy at my dealership was reluctant to let me test drive it period.
    He was an asshole.
    When i went and asked to test drive it his response was "Hunny this car dont come in pink"
    meh  

[quote author=HockeyGirl link=topic=21884.msg1369829#msg1369829 date=1251145916]
    :lol: true!

Great find Boogie
    Update if you find anything!

It just bewilders me that a dealership would let him take such a powerful car alone
    The guy at my dealership was reluctant to let me test drive it period.
    He was an asshole.
    When i went and asked to test drive it his response was "Hunny this car dont come in pink"
    meh  
    [/quote]

I tried to test drive one too when they first started showing up... But "Unless you have cash in hand, You must be 25 or older to test drive our performance models" was the dealerships policy. And they did not fall for the 'I'm a Millionaire,man. But i left my wallet at home accidentally!" :lol:

Fan of the Underdog kateisgr3at's Avatar

[quote author=boogieman link=topic=21884.msg1369784#msg1369784 date=1251144246]

I am not sure how he hit the driver side of the Sable, if they were turning into apartments... Unless they were illegally turning from the wrong lane or he swerved to avoid them and  happened to go the same direction as them.
    [/quote]

He could have been behind them and they were making a left turn into the apartment complex.
    Balls.

A few things have been cleared up by new info that has been released (See below). Biggest thing being that the Salesman WAS in the vehicle, As well as the accused's Brother.

(WHAS11) - The dealership that owned that car involved in a fatal crash during a test drive has released a statement on the incident.  

It happened when Bryan Lee was test driving a vehicle from Commonwealth Dodge. Authorities say he reached speeds of 101 miles per hour.            

Lee is charged with manslaughter after that vehicle crashed into another, killing two people.

On Tuesday, Commonwealth Dodge said in a statement:

"Commonwealth Dodge expresses its deepest sympathy for the families involved in this terrible accident. Mr. Lee in no way was encouraged to break the law by our salesman, whose life was also in jeopardy during these events, and who incurred injuries in this needless accident. At two different times during this test drive, our salesman begged Mr. Lee to slow down."

You can see the entire statement by clicking here.

After receiving the statement from Commonwealth Dodge, WHAS11 spoke with family members of the two people who died. They say that doesn't change things in their mind.

They say there's plenty of blame to go around.

The crash took the lives of Toya Buckner-Dium, 40, and Sherman King, Sr., 60.

Their car was struck by a Dodge Challenger driven by Lee, 30, who was taking it on a test drive from Commonwealth Dodge. The crash took place on Fern Valley Road.

The two victims were attempting to cross the road to turn left, when lee plowed into them at 100 miles an hour.

Lee has been charged with two counts of manslaughter.

Lee's brother was in the car, along with Commonwealth Dodge salesman Sayed Ghafoori.

There are differing accounts about whether Ghafoori told lee to slow down. Commonwealth Dodge's Attorney said in the statement that the salesman asked Lee to slow down twice, but police say they were not told that during the initial investigation.

They also say that Ghafoori told them he estimated the car was going about 50-to-60 miles per hour at the time of the track.

Ghafoori hasn't been charged with any crime in relation to the crash.

However, WHAS11 looked into Ghafoori’s backround and found he has been charged six times with speeding in recent years, including one charge of driving 34 miles an hour over the speed limit.

He also has prior felony convictions. He received a 10-year sentence after he was convicted of 54 counts related to a string of burglaries.

Neither Ghafoori nor Commonwealth Dodge's attorney would comment when we asked them about the salesman's past.
    http://www.whas11.com/news/local/stories/whas11-crime-090825-test-crash-statement.116b48bd2.html

I honestly do not believe that the salesman told him to slow down. I think that is BS being spewed by the  salesman (to save his job) and by the dealer (To avoid a lawsuit).

Re: Bryan Lee(30) Test drove a Dodge Challenger at 100mph, crashed killing 2 peo

I'm not surprised the dealership let him take it out without anyone with him. I went in on a Friday to test a Dodge Durango and they let me keep it til' Monday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by angelicajustice View Post
    I wouldn't fuck her with Ron's dick.

[quote author=Its Me De link=topic=21884.msg1379198#msg1379198 date=1252073290]
    I went in on a Friday to test a Dodge Durango and they let me keep it til' Monday afternoon. [/quote]

:lol:

wtf, is that normal? They must of all wanted to knock off early that day at the car dealership.

[quote author=boogieman link=topic=21884.msg1379166#msg1379166 date=1252064949]
     A few things have been cleared up by new info that has been released (See below). Biggest thing being that the Salesman WAS in the vehicle, As well as the accused's Brother.

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/stories/whas11-crime-090825-test-crash-statement.116b48bd2.html

I honestly do not believe that the salesman told him to slow down. I think that is BS being spewed by the  salesman (to save his job) and by the dealer (To avoid a lawsuit).
    [/quote]I agree.  A car salesman will do a lot to sell a car.  My cousin test drove a GTO a few years ago.  He hit 75 in a 45 and the salesman just sat there uncomfortably and didn't say a thing.

Re: Bryan Lee(30) Test drove a Dodge Challenger at 100mph, crashed killing 2 peo

[quote author=Its Me De link=topic=21884.msg1379198#msg1379198 date=1252073290]
    I'm not surprised the dealership let him take it out without anyone with him. I went in on a Friday to test a Dodge Durango and they let me keep it til' Monday afternoon.
    [/quote]

The sales person was in the car with him.
    Oh nooooooo your tires all flat and junk.

I think the salesman probably did tell him to slow down.............................. eventually.

[quote author=ICDEDPPL link=topic=21884.msg1379315#msg1379315 date=1252083365]
    I think the salesman probably did tell him to slow down.............................. eventually.
    [/quote]

Yeah I agree. I think he was being the cool guy and letting him go fast and then when he realized how fast the guy was going he got scared and told him to slow down.

[quote author=tanya2012 link=topic=21884.msg1379326#msg1379326 date=1252084079]
    Yeah I agree. I think he was being the cool guy and letting him go fast and then when he realized how fast the guy was going he got scared and told him to slow down.
    [/quote]

He was trying to make a sale.  Period.

If letting the guy speed shows him how fast the car can go, the more likely he is to buy it?

I am sure the salesman did tell him to slow down, but not right away.  Just a guess.

[quote author=winters_footsteps link=topic=21884.msg1379340#msg1379340 date=1252085614]
    He was trying to make a sale.  Period.

If letting the guy speed shows him how fast the car can go, the more likely he is to buy it?

I am sure the salesman did tell him to slow down, but not right away.  Just a guess.
    [/quote]

Oh I totally agree. When my husband lost his job with Geek Squad the only job he was able to get 3 months later, was working at a dealership selling cars. The other salesmen he said were crazy. The first day of work he told me the job wasn't for him. But unfortunately with this economy you have to take what you can get. They are a bunch of sharks and will do anything to get a sale. ( He no longer works there. After 4 weeks the entire dealership had to close down due to this wonderful economy)

wow. what should have happened is the occupants of the challenger should have died and the people in the taurus/sable/buick/whatever that thing [s]is[/s] was should have survived but it never seems to happen that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post

Also, I just noticed my girlbox is full.

[quote author=boogieman link=topic=21884.msg1379166#msg1379166 date=1252064949]

[/quote]

Thank you for updating this Boogie, i was so curious to see what the dealership/salesman was going to release on the matter and of course they deny it.
    Although proving it one way or another is impossible and ultimately, to my knowledge (which is incredibly limited) passengers are not responsible for the actions of the driver. So it solely falls on Lee and now i want to know what his defense will be.
    btw, the crash looks much wose from the angle in the second pic you posted and it looks like Kate is right about the left handed turn

[quote author=tanya2012 link=topic=21884.msg1379344#msg1379344 date=1252085936]
    Oh I totally agree. When my husband lost his job with Geek Squad the only job he was able to get 3 months later, was working at a dealership selling cars. The other salesmen he said were crazy. The first day of work he told me the job wasn't for him. But unfortunately with this economy you have to take what you can get. They are a bunch of sharks and will do anything to get a sale. ( He no longer works there. After 4 weeks the entire dealership had to close down due to this wonderful economy)
    [/quote]

I completely understand why he didn't want to work there.

When I first moved back to Utah, I had a job as a customer service rep for a large company.  A week into the training classes they told us that we would also be require to sell upgrades to our customers.  They used some pretty high pressure sales examples to show us how to do it.  My first day out of training I quit (this was before the economy went kaput).  I don't want a job that requires me to sell people things they don't need/want just to keep my job.  It's not customer service to do that IMO.  It's the opposite.  Some of my customers were elderly and they wanted me to upsell things to them?  Hell no.  They had what they needed. 

I just hate jobs like that, and I hate it when I run into a salesman like that.  High pressure sales turn me off immediately.  If I feel that they are being that way, I make a conscious decision NOT to buy from them.

I am sorry your husband lost the job (even though he hated it).  Has he found work yet? 

[quote author=winters_footsteps link=topic=21884.msg1379510#msg1379510 date=1252096065]
    I completely understand why he didn't want to work there.

When I first moved back to Utah, I had a job as a customer service rep for a large company.  A week into the training classes they told us that we would also be require to sell upgrades to our customers.  They used some pretty high pressure sales examples to show us how to do it.  My first day out of training I quit (this was before the economy went kaput).  I don't want a job that requires me to sell people things they don't need/want just to keep my job.  It's not customer service to do that IMO.  It's the opposite.  Some of my customers were elderly and they wanted me to upsell things to them?  Hell no.  They had what they needed. 

I just hate jobs like that, and I hate it when I run into a salesman like that.  High pressure sales turn me off immediately.  If I feel that they are being that way, I make a conscious decision NOT to buy from them.

I am sorry your husband lost the job (even though he hated it).  Has he found work yet? 
    [/quote]

No he hasn't found anything. 20+ applications and still nothing. It really sucks but it's reality for a lot of people. I just keep telling myself that it could be worse.  :-)

[quote author=tanya2012 link=topic=21884.msg1379514#msg1379514 date=1252096577]
    No he hasn't found anything. 20+ applications and still nothing. It really sucks but it's reality for a lot of people. I just keep telling myself that it could be worse.  :-)
    [/quote]

I am in a similar situation.  I have been on countless interviews and called to follow up on every single one of them.  Nothing.  Nada.  It's frustrating because I am a hard worker and I have a lot to offer.  I am sure its the same with your husband.

If it wasn't for doing photography I would be in a world of hurt.  Money is tight right now and I am trying to find a roommate just to make ends meet.  It's rough for everyone out there.

Thinking of you, and crossing my fingers for everyone 

[quote author=winters_footsteps link=topic=21884.msg1379526#msg1379526 date=1252098833]
    I am in a similar situation.  I have been on countless interviews and called to follow up on every single one of them.  Nothing.  Nada.  It's frustrating because I am a hard worker and I have a lot to offer.  I am sure its the same with your husband.

If it wasn't for doing photography I would be in a world of hurt.  Money is tight right now and I am trying to find a roommate just to make ends meet.  It's rough for everyone out there.

Thinking of you, and crossing my fingers for everyone 
    [/quote]

Thanks 

I will definitely cross my fingers for you too!

He plead Not Guilty. Next court date is January 4th.

A Jefferson Circuit Court judge Friday lowered the bond for the Louisville man accused of test-driving a car at speeds surpassing 100 mph before a fatal collision on Fern Valley Road.

Judge Barry Willett reduced Bryan Lee’s bond from $100,000 cash to $25,000 cash.

Lee, who pleaded not guilty Monday to two charges of second-degree manslaughter, had already posted the $100,000 bond and was released from Metro Corrections on Oct. 2.

Lee, who is scheduled to stand trial in March, was driving a Dodge Challenger in a 45 mph zone about 1 p.m. Aug. 23 when the vehicle hit a Mercury Sable as it pulled onto Fern Valley Road from the Pebble Creek apartment complex on Fern Valley Way.

The Sable’s driver, Toya Buckner-Dioum, 40, of the 6300 block of Fern Valley Way, and passenger Sherman King Sr., 63, of the 2500 block of Meadow Drive, died at the scene of multiple blunt-force injuries.

Lee was driving the Challenger from Commonwealth Dodge on Preston Highway, and a sales representative and Lee’s brother were in the car, police have said.

Commonwealth Dodge President Billy Hays has said the salesman “begged” Lee to slow down twice and did not encourage him to speed.

It also said the dealership “was not complicit” with Lee’s “reckless driving,” and that the salesman also was injured in the crash.

Lee’s next court hearing was set for Jan. 4.
    http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20091030/NEWS01/910300359/Bond-lowered-for-driver-in-fatal-test-driving-crash

Thread Information