Thread: 'Dead' baby wakes before funeral

'Dead' baby wakes before funeral

Shocking  :-o

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8191023.stm

'Dead' baby wakes before funeral
    A premature baby declared dead by doctors at a hospital in Paraguay was found to be alive hours later when he was taken home for a funeral wake.

Jose Alvarenga said he had discovered his son was alive after he heard crying from the box in which he was placed.

The baby is now back at the same hospital's intensive care unit and reported to be in a stable condition.

The head of paediatric care at the hospital said a doctor had not properly checked the infant's vital signs.

"This is a very unusual case," Ernesto Weber told the AFP news agency, adding that an investigation into the incident would be carried out.

A doctor who works at the hospital's maternity unit said staff had tried to revive the baby for an hour before declaring him dead.

"His pulse was so low that it was undetectable," Aida Notario said.

According to medical records, the baby weighed only 500g (17.6oz).

The smallest on record was an American baby who weighed just 280g (10oz), born at less than 22 weeks.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/americas/8191023.stm

Published: 2009/08/08 01:12:29 GMT

© BBC MMIX
    beli : Cunt fingers. Just like butterfingers, only cuntier.

Re: 'Dead' baby wakes before funeral

That's a lot of emotion for one family in such a short period of time.

A girl that I met in college was born with the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck. She was blue when she came out, and the doctor thought she was dead (this was in the early 1970s). No attempts were made to revive her immediately, but after a few minutes a nurse did revive her. Because of the lack of oxygen, there were areas of her brain that were damaged and she therefore has cerebral palsy. Her family took the doctor/hospital to court and she received a settlement that is intended to provide for her basic needs + a home care attendant, and keep her out of a group home setting.

I hope this baby goes on to live a happy, long & healthy life!

A nap is only nice when it's a luxury, not a necessity.

Southern Undertaker Key West Digger's Avatar

An interesting case that I heard about that happened years before I started actually working in a funeral home in the 60s as an attendant. A young girl was entombed in the city's mausoleum several years before my employment. The funeral home I was with was asked to dis-entomb her and place her in the newly built family mausoleum. (note - this funeral home wasn't the one who originally entombed her). The day that the transfer took place, the family and priest was present. Upon removing the casket, liquid started leaking from the casket. The family then asked the funeral director to place the child in a new casket. When the casket was taken to the funeral home and opened, the funeral director was horrified at what he saw. The child's body was turned to it's side and had pieces of ripped casket interior in her hands. They contacted the local authorities and it was determined that the child was buried alive. There was a doctor in attendence at the time of "death" and had signed the death certificate. The body was not embalmed (by law wasn't necessary) because there wasn't a visitation. only placed in a casket, taken to church for a funeral mass and entombed.

Another case was when a young lady was killed in a traffic accident in the early 80s. After 3 weeks on life support, the hospital was able to get a court order to declare the child dead. The parents still fought to the bitter end. They didn't realize the stench was so bad that it had the hospital removing patients to other floors. And when the body was removed they stripped both ajoining rooms, actual walls and ceilings. Thank God we had an excellent embalmer, who created the best memory picture for the family.

I only shared this to show anything can happen and how it affects so many people. Families, friends and yes, funeral directors.

OMG! i couldnt even think of this happening to me! this is such a sad story but then a happy one all in the same since! i hope the baby is ok!

Most awesome Member emmy_dreamy's Avatar

Apparently this happens often:

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSN149975820070917?feedType=RSS&feedName=odd lyEnoughNews
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/signaturepics/sigpic8247_1.gif

[quote author=Key West Digger link=topic=21578.msg1357535#msg1357535 date=1249871853]
    An interesting case that I heard about that happened years before I started actually working in a funeral home in the 60s as an attendant. A young girl was entombed in the city's mausoleum several years before my employment. The funeral home I was with was asked to dis-entomb her and place her in the newly built family mausoleum. (note - this funeral home wasn't the one who originally entombed her). The day that the transfer took place, the family and priest was present. Upon removing the casket, liquid started leaking from the casket. The family then asked the funeral director to place the child in a new casket. When the casket was taken to the funeral home and opened, the funeral director was horrified at what he saw. The child's body was turned to it's side and had pieces of ripped casket interior in her hands. They contacted the local authorities and it was determined that the child was buried alive. There was a doctor in attendence at the time of "death" and had signed the death certificate. The body was not embalmed (by law wasn't necessary) because there wasn't a visitation. only placed in a casket, taken to church for a funeral mass and entombed.

[/quote]

That is so disturbing on so many levels.  I can't imagine waking up knowing that I'm buried alive and probably going to die anyway.  That poor family must have gone through so many emotions that day.

There are photo's and a video on this page of the little baby  :-) it won't let me save the pics from the site

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2579504/Dead-baby-in-Paraguay-declared-alive.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Us1KARFeE

[quote author=LilDevil link=topic=21578.msg1358028#msg1358028 date=1249925703]
    That is so disturbing on so many levels.  I can't imagine waking up knowing that I'm buried alive and probably going to die anyway.[/quote]

Plus knowing NO ONE is going to come for you. That'd be such a helpless feeling.
    [quote author=Olivia link=topic=21574.msg1377077#msg1377077 date=1251870961]<br />You are every kind of fail<br />[/quote]

The baby didn't make it :(

http://news.aol.com/article/dead-baby-found-alive-in-coffin/609390?icid=main|htmlws-main|dl1|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle %2Fdead-baby-found-alive-in-coffin%2F609390

How sad :( However, not too surprising seeing as how premature the baby boy was.
    I feel horrible for the family though, what a roller coaster, we're having a baby, our baby is dead, nope, our baby is alive, nope he is dead again...how awful.

[quote author=ICDEDPPL link=topic=21578.msg1358603#msg1358603 date=1249962041]
    The baby didn't make it :(

http://news.aol.com/article/dead-baby-found-alive-in-coffin/609390?icid=main|htmlws-main|dl1|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle %2Fdead-baby-found-alive-in-coffin%2F609390
    [/quote]

That really shocked me&nbsp; i thought the baby was on the mend and finally there was going to be a happy ending, what a terrible terrible thing to happen. I wonder if he would have survived if he hadn't been put in a box&nbsp; :?

I wonder how long he went without food. This is my worst nightmare, being buried alive. Key West, do you know if they told the parents? I don't know if I would be able to do that. Could you imagine knowing that was your childs fate? ugh.

Thread Information