Thread: Police Say Girl 13, Killed Man Over Spilled Milk

Police Say Girl 13, Killed Man Over Spilled Milk

MILWAUKEE (Aug. 11) - A long-simmering feud between a 13-year-old girl and her step-grandfather erupted after the man allegedly poured her milk down the drain, prompting the girl to fatally stab him in the neck, court documents said.
    Labrina T. Brown, who allegedly threatened Robert A. Moon with knives before, told an officer who responded, "I killed him," and said to a neighbor, "I'm not afraid to go to jail for this," according to the criminal complaint against her.
    The Milwaukee girl is charged as an adult with first-degree reckless homicide, which carries a maximum penalty of 60 years in prison. At an initial appearance Tuesday in Milwaukee County Children's Court, she was ordered held on $150,000 cash bond.
    Her mother and grandmother declined to speak with The Associated Press after the hearing.
    Public defender Joy Sherard told the AP that county officials had intervened in the household on several occasions in the past but she declined to elaborate, citing concern for the family's privacy.
    "This is about more than spilled milk," she said. "The family would like everyone to know there's a history here."
    In their criminal complaint, prosecutors said the confrontation began Saturday after Brown went shopping with her mother and Moon's stepdaughter, Denitra Aldridge, and brought groceries back to the house.
    Aldridge and Brown poured bowls of cereal, but when they tried to add milk Moon sarcastically told Brown she could have some only after Aldridge's child was served, authorities said.
    Aldridge told investigators Brown responded with a profane outburst, adding "Next time I'm going to bust you."

Prosecutors said the 48-year-old Moon dumped what was left of the milk down the drain and turned his back, taking a glass of milk into the living room, apparently to prepare it for the baby.
    "Why the ---- would you do that?" Brown said, according to the complaint.
    Aldridge told authorities Brown grabbed a paring knife with a 2- to 3-inch handle from the sink and charged after Moon. Aldridge told investigators she previously had seen Brown threaten Moon with knives but never use them.
    Brown knocked the milk out of Moon's hand, and when he turned, she swung at him, according to the complaint. Aldridge said she thought Moon had been punched in the face, but then saw he was covered in blood.
    "She stabbed me, she stabbed me in the neck," Moon said, his voice weakening as he collapsed, the complaint said.
    Authorities said a neighbor heard a commotion, then saw Brown step outside with blood on her.
    "I told you, I stabbed him! I cut his throat! He's dead," Brown told the neighbor, according to the complaint, later adding, "I'm not afraid to go to jail for this."
    State law mandates that children older than 10 accused of first-degree intentional or reckless homicide be charged in adult court, said district attorney John Chisholm. He said the case should remain in adult court, although he expected the defense would seek to have the case returned to juvenile court.
    "I would oppose that at this stage," Chisholm said.
    Although Brown was charged as an adult, she would either be held in a juvenile facility or be segregated from other prisoners in an adult facility, he said.
    http://news.aol.com/article/13-year-.../613493?cid=11

Re: Police Say Girl 13, Killed Man Over Spilled Milk

Good Lord.

I wonder what the entire history is...

She clearly has anger problems, but I wonder why she hated him so much?  Was it the normal "I hate my step-father" business that tends to happen with kids, or did she hate him because he abused her or something like that?

Nobody wins here.  It's so sad.

a 'long going feud'? at 13?

I expected to see the story the other way around.

If this guy was anything like my stepfather, he had it coming to him.
    If he wasn't, well, then this sucks for him.

Sadly, this young woman will be released from custody at some point in her life and I'm gonna doubt she'll have received the resources she needs to be functional.

Not to be childish or devil's advocate here, but it kind of sounds like the man was slowly torturing her, using his powers as an adult of the home to make her life more difficult on a daily basis. Demanding his child eat first? Pouring the remaining milk down the drain so she couldn't have any? Children don't usually start "fueds" with adults before thier teenage years, so if there was a long running feud, the man probably instigated it.

When you're a teenager, you're a very emotional being as your body encounters changes. Its hard enough to be a teen in a normally functioning family. I can't imagine how jumbled and confusing and pressuring it must be in that kind of situation. Easier to snap. I know I was a very angry teenager, but I never did anything violent.

Of course, we won't know without any of the history behind it. I'm so curious!

[quote author=AlexaC link=topic=21640.msg1360165#msg1360165 date=1250093969]
    Not to be childish or devil's advocate here, but it kind of sounds like the man was slowly torturing her, using his powers as an adult of the home to make her life more difficult on a daily basis. Demanding his child eat first? Pouring the remaining milk down the drain so she couldn't have any? Children don't usually start "fueds" with adults before thier teenage years, so if there was a long running feud, the man probably instigated it.

When you're a teenager, you're a very emotional being as your body encounters changes. Its hard enough to be a teen in a normally functioning family. I can't imagine how jumbled and confusing and pressuring it must be in that kind of situation. Easier to snap. I know I was a very angry teenager, but I never did anything violent.

Of course, we won't know without any of the history behind it. I'm so curious!
    [/quote]

Yeah it always the guys fault.  :|

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

[quote author=Peavey link=topic=21640.msg1360126#msg1360126 date=1250089459]
    If this guy was anything like my stepfather, he had it coming to him.
    If he wasn't, well, then this sucks for him.

Sadly, this young woman will be released from custody at some point in her life and I'm gonna doubt she'll have received the resources she needs to be functional.
    [/quote]

Well she commited a crime. So she should burn. Doesn't matter if she's at an age where we could prevent something like this from happening in the future. And if we could actually take the time to rehabilitate her, instead of putting her away to make her a harder, tougher, scarier and less remorseful felon, we'd be using your tax dollars to do it. And everyone knows that tax be bad! Rawr!

We are too nice to our prisoners as it is. Ask some people, they'll tell you all about it.

Man, this girl is so fucked.

[quote author=PCP777 link=topic=21640.msg1360166#msg1360166 date=1250094261]
    Yeah it always the guys fault.  :|
    [/quote]

Always. One of the things you can learn here on MDS. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

I wasn't making a point based on him being a man and her being a girl. Not about gender. If she had stabbed a mother I would still question the adult. It revolves around the idea that she is a child and he is an adult. An adult who was obviously abusing his power as a caregiver of children in some respect.

And as far as the consequences go, obviously she is happy to do the time. hah hah.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=21640.msg1360188#msg1360188 date=1250096157]
    Well she commited a crime. So she should burn. Doesn't matter if she's at an age where we could prevent something like this from happening in the future. And if we could actually take the time to rehabilitate her, instead of putting her away to make her a harder, tougher, scarier and less remorseful felon, we'd be using your tax dollars to do it. And everyone knows that tax be bad! Rawr!

We are too nice to our prisoners as it is. Ask some people, they'll tell you all about it.

Man, this girl is so fucked.

Always. One of the things you can learn here on MDS. :)
    [/quote]

You've taken way too much medication today.

[quote author=AlexaC link=topic=21640.msg1360264#msg1360264 date=1250101017]
    I wasn't making a point based on him being a man and her being a girl. Not about gender. If she had stabbed a mother I would still question the adult. It revolves around the idea that she is a child and he is an adult. An adult who was obviously abusing his power as a caregiver of children in some respect.

And as far as the consequences go, obviously she is happy to do the time. hah hah.
    [/quote]

I read your post as an age issue, too.  The responsibility is on the adult to act like one.  I think you might have been onto something.  How many children dislike their step parent?  How many are actually being tortured by him or her?

[quote author=Peavey link=topic=21640.msg1360267#msg1360267 date=1250101445]
    You've taken way too much medication today.

[/quote]

I just wanted to yell about something. I didn't really care what. :lol:

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=21640.msg1360271#msg1360271 date=1250101728]
    I just wanted to yell about something. I didn't really care what. :lol:
    [/quote]

You've got pudding and pain killers.  You're better than 3/4 of the rest of us.

[quote author=Peavey link=topic=21640.msg1360274#msg1360274 date=1250101861]
    You've got pudding and pain killers.  You're better than 3/4 of the rest of us.
    [/quote]

Yea, so yelling is the missing 25%.
    If I had nothing to be pissed about, I would have probably ended it all years ago. Some of us enjoy being angry you know!   :)

You know spilled milk is some serious shit. "That's how the milk spills bitch!" or something like that......

AlexaC, wherever you are, you were right to wonder

There are too many shitty things in this kids life, I'd have to highlight most of the article so I've just left it as is

http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/wat.../53314487.html

Robert Moon did not die over spilled milk.

Labrina Brown, the 13-year-old girl accused of fatally stabbing her grandmother's husband this month after he poured some milk down the sink, was abused and neglected for years, court records show. Her young relatives were victimized, too.

And though by all accounts Labrina is a volatile and angry child, the adults responsible for protecting her and her relatives - those in the child welfare system, in the courts, and in their own family - all failed.

Just last month, social workers asked Milwaukee County Circuit Judge William S. Pocan to send Labrina to a foster home or group home outside Milwaukee County for her own protection. The judge declined. He planned to review the decision at a hearing in the fall.

(Clarification, Oct. 7, 2009: Although the Bureau of Milwaukee Child Welfare filed a motion to send Labrina Brown out of the county for her own protection, a bureau case worker did not argue that position in court, transcripts show. The case worker did not speak during a hearing July 27, a week and a half before Labrina allegedly killed her step-grandfather. No one who spoke at that hearing objected to Labrina staying in her grandmother?s home. Judge William S. Pocan did not*approve or deny*the written motion to send Labrina out of the county before ordering her placed at her grandmother?s home.)

Instead, Robert Moon is dead and Labrina is in jail, charged with first-degree reckless homicide.

Juvenile court records usually are not open to the public. Children's court judges allowed the Journal Sentinel access to the files of Labrina and the adolescent boy accused of molesting young girls in her family because of the serious nature of the crimes for which they are charged.

Pocan said he could not discuss the case because it is pending. The transcript of last month's hearing was not available Friday.

Half a decade of horror

Labrina's troubles began at least five years ago, court records show.

She was sitting on a couch at her grandmother's house with Robert Moon's son, then 10.

Her grandmother, Thelma Moon, saw the boy touch Labrina inappropriately and did nothing, according to court records. Labrina, the oldest of five sisters, soon began to spiral out of control.

The girls were sent to school dirty, disheveled and wearing clothes that smelled bad and didn't match.

Sometimes they brought extra outfits to school. They hoped someone would show up there to take them away, they told a family friend. Labrina scratched out suicide notes. A sister didn't want to go home.

After school and during the summers, Labrina, her sisters and their cousins spent a lot of time with Thelma Moon, who works at a day care. Sometimes, while she was away, Robert Moon's now teenage son would baby-sit.

According to court records, Oct. 27, 2007, was one of those times.

Labrina was not home. When she returned, a young relative told her the teenage boy had sexually molested her and four other girls between the ages of 4 and 7.

When Labrina told her mother and an aunt, they accused her of lying and sent her to bed.

The next day, Labrina's school principal asked if their mother had been whipping them again. Labrina said yes, and told the principal about the sexual assaults.

The principal called the Bureau of Milwaukee Child Welfare, which along with the Milwaukee Police Department, opened an investigation.

Less than two months later, while that investigation was ongoing, the bureau got another call about the family, according to bureau records filed with the court. A victim in the earlier crime was bleeding into her underwear. Labrina's mother told an investigator the child had fallen off a bed.

Despite the earlier sexual assault report to the bureau, the new allegation was ruled unsubstantiated and the case was closed, the records show.

Bureau spokeswoman Angela Russell said the bureau could not release additional records or discuss the case because of state law.

The signs of abuse

Two weeks after the girl was found bleeding, Labrina and her sisters spent the weekend with a family friend. When the woman got the girls undressed for a bath, she discovered scars on their legs and scabies.

The woman called the bureau. This time, the bureau substantiated the allegations of mistreatment. Rather than remove the children from their mother's home, the bureau provided the family with Safety Services, which allow parents to keep their children if they agree to close supervision by social workers.

The same day, Moon's son was charged as a juvenile with six counts of sexual assault in the October incident. He was never charged with molesting Labrina. Milwaukee County Circuit Judge Marshall Murray allowed the teenager to return to the home he shared with his father and Labrina's grandmother. The judge ordered him not to have contact with the girls.

The Moons promised they would not allow it. It was a promise they did not keep.

On Jan. 6, 2008, when Thelma Moon went to the store, leaving one of the victims alone with her husband's son, he molested the girl again, criminal and bureau records show. She told her teacher, who again called the bureau. Another felony charge was added to the teenager's case.

Bureau social workers removed Labrina and her sisters from their mother's custody. The social worker asked if there was a relative with whom the girls could stay.

To the worker's amazement, their mother suggested Thelma Moon.

Home after home . . . 

The juvenile court records released to the Journal Sentinel were redacted to protect the identity of Labrina's sisters; it is unclear where they were placed.

Labrina spent time in two group homes and in the Milwaukee County Mental Health Complex. She ultimately was sent to live with her father, whose home was near the Moons'.

The Journal Sentinel is not naming Labrina's parents to protect her sisters' identities. Both parents, who do not live together, as well as Thelma Moon, refused to comment for this story.

When Labrina moved in with her father, Moon's son was no longer living in the neighborhood because of the sexual assaults.

As part of a plea agreement in juvenile court, he admitted responsibility for two counts of second-degree sexual assault of a child. Murray ordered him to serve at least a year of probation, with the first five months in a residential sex offender treatment center, followed by four months in a halfway house. He was allowed day passes to visit his dad.

The teenager now lives with an aunt and is planning to attend high school in the fall. His probation has been extended through May 2010.

Friends and family members say Labrina frequently ran away from her father. They say she was not welcome at her mother's home, and often ended up staying with the Moons.

"She fought with everyone," said Denitra Alridge, Robert Moon's stepdaughter from a previous marriage and his son's half sister.

"She ran back and forth. She's very defensive. She beat up a neighbor who told her she needed to be more respectful. She broke out our window.

"I kept my distance once I saw what she was like."

After a January fight with her mother that ended in Labrina's arrest, bureau social workers filed a petition to have her sent out of Milwaukee County.

"The grandmother did nothing to protect the children who were sexually assaulted and did not believe it happened," the petition says.

"If there is no intervention, (Labrina's) safety is in jeopardy."

The fateful day

As it turned out, Robert Moon's safety was in jeopardy as well.

Early on the afternoon of Aug. 8, Labrina poured herself a bowl of cereal in the kitchen of the Moons' second story flat, according to the criminal complaint and witness accounts.

Robert Moon and Labrina began to argue about milk. There was only a little left in the gallon container, and Moon insisted on giving it to Alridge's two young children. Labrina swore at him. Moon poured the rest of the milk down the sink.

Moon was walking from the kitchen into the living room when Labrina stabbed him with a small kitchen knife three inches below his left ear. The blow, which sliced open Moon's carotid artery, bent the knife's two-inch blade.

When police arrived, Labrina was standing outside. She was covered with blood.

A police officer asked for her name.

"I'm Labrina Brown," she said. "And I killed him."

A hearing scheduled for Aug. 24 will determine if Labrina will stand trial in adult criminal court or if her case will be returned to Children's Court.

If she is tried as an adult, Labrina faces up to 60 years in prison. Juvenile court would yield much lesser penalties.

Her friend and neighbor, Jewel Gordon, hopes Labrina will by tried as a child.

"She didn't want to be like this," Gordon said.

"She wasn't a bad person. She wanted to get right. She wanted to collect her thoughts. I guess she just got tired."

But Wavey McDowell, Gordon's father and Robert Moon's friend of 40 years, said he feels no mercy for Labrina.

"She took my friend away from me forever," he said. "I wake up every day and think: 'I've lost my friend.' "

Hope you're doing ok Latina, & Latina's little sisters, wherever you ended up
    Last edited by blighted star; 04-19-2015 at 06:22 AM.

http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/59763102.html

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- A 14-year-old girl faces an upgraded charge of first-degree intentional homicide after being accused of fatally stabbing her step-grandfather in the neck after he poured her milk down the drain.

But the family of Labrina T. Brown says she was a troubled teenager who couldn't get the help she needed and is scared sitting in jail facing a possibility of life in prison.

"All she needs is help," aunt Tawana Brown said. "We were trying to help her, we need a lot of people to help with her, too. She's not a bad girl, she's just trouble, she needs help."

Assistant district attorney Kevin Shomin on Friday filed the amended criminal complaint against Brown that upped the charge against her from first-degree reckless homicide to first-degree intentional homicide. Brown had been scheduled to have a preliminary hearing.

Brown spent about 5 minutes in court while Milwaukee Children's Division Court Judge Karen Christenson told Brown of the new charges and her rights.

When asked if she understood, Brown said, "Yes."

Defense attorney Joycarol Sherard declined to enter a plea to the new charge on her client's behalf and a status conference was set for Oct. 16.

Shomin and Sherard both said after the hearing that they're working toward a resolution, but neither would divulge details of a potential settlement.

"Both sides are interested in it, whether we get to that stage, I don't know," Shomin said.

A first-degree reckless homicide charge carries up to 60 years in prison, but Brown now faces life in prison if convicted as an adult. Wisconsin does not have the death penalty.

If Brown's case is sent to juvenile court and she's convicted there, the maximum time she would spend in prison would end on her 25th birthday.

Shomin said in court Friday that he upgraded the charge to protect the state's interests. Charges are more difficult to upgrade if a case is moved to juvenile court.

"It's a very serious new charge," said Sherard, who understood the legal maneuvering behind it.

State law requires that all children older than 10 accused of first-degree intentional or reckless homicide be charged as an adult, but the initial appearance and preliminary hearing are in juvenile court.

Brown's aunt, Tawana Brown, said Labrina has been writing the family daily and that she's scared and confused. She remains jailed on $150,000 bail.

"A lot of people are just saying things that she should get what she got coming to her. But everybody doesn't know the story," the aunt said of Labrina's rough upbringing. "We don't have $150,000, but if we can get it lower, believe me we're trying to get her out."

State Rep. Polly Williams was in court as an observer. The Milwaukee Democrat said she hopes Brown's case is sent to juvenile court.

"She did this horrible thing, but I know for her to do something like that, her pain was so great," Williams said. "The system contributed to this, and all of the adults in this young child's life failed her."

In court, Labrina Brown passed in front of about a half-dozen family members, including her mother Sabrina. One family member said, "We love you, Labrina," as she was led away by Milwaukee County sheriff's deputies, but she did not respond.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    After what continuously happened to Labrina, I can totally understand why she did what she did. First, to suffer what she had to endure and to have no one believe or do anything about it? That really shows you that your family cares...or ...not.

I can't say as I blame her for stabbing a motherfucker. I mean shit, it was his son that assaulted her. What you wanna bet that he's harbored some deep seeded hostility toward her "that bitch got my son in all sorts of trouble". Maybe he even called the girl names...to her face. Young people take that shit to heart. They're like sponges, and if you are someone in their lives who is supposed to care about them...you shouldn't ever say shit like that. I bet she heard disparaging comments all the fucking time.

And her mom is a total piece of shit, to me. First, it seems she married a brotha' to be more stable, and wasn't going to do anything to "fuck up a good thing", if you get my meaning...including ignoring repeated sexual assaults by her stepson. That alone means an automatic removal of the title of "MOTHER" in my book. She wasn't a mom, she's just a bitch looking for a meal and a roof over her head.

I feel horrible for this young lady. She had a rough start to her life, and not one of the adults in her life is being held accountable for their dismal failures to protect this little girl from shit even the little girl knew was wrong.

What does it say about an adult when a child knows better than you what is right and what is wrong? Looks to me as if the people closest to Labrinna are total human fail.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Thread Information