Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 5-year-Old Missing in Oakland

5-year-Old Missing in Oakland

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/5-year-Old-Missing-in-Oakland-Has-Cerebral-Palsy-52957877.html

An intense search is under way for a missing boy with cerebral palsy who was last seen in Oakland Monday afternoon

Five-year-old Hassani Campbell was reported missing from the area of 6000 College Avenue, according to the Oakland police youth services unit.

Police say his foster father was dropping Hassani off at a shoe store where the child's foster mother works in the Rockridge neighborhood on College Avenue at about 4:20 p.m. He left the boy in the car and walked around to the front to let him in, but he returned, Hassani was gone.

Crews combed the neighborhood with K9 search dogs and even blocked off a couple streets during the search. They asked neighbors to check their basements and back yards to make sure the boy had not wandered into one of the other buildings.

The boy, who wears leg braces to walk and is considered at risk, was still missing as of 1 p.m. Tuesday, police said.

Hassani is described as a black boy with light complexion, brown hair and brown eyes. He is around 3 feet tall and weighs around 40 pounds. He was last seen wearing a gray sweatshirt and gray pants.

Police towed the man's car as part of the investigation.

Anyone with information regarding Hassani's whereabouts should call Oakland police youth services at 510-238-3641, or call 911 if he is believed to be in immediate danger.

I can't imagine this turning out well. How does a five year old with braces on both legs disappear from the back of a car?? I've seen other reports that state the foster mother is the boys aunt and the foster father is her fiance. No news yet on why he is in their care.

Re: 5-year-Old Missing in Oakland

[quote author=morbid1 link=topic=21637.msg1359258#msg1359258 date=1250026154]
    http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/5-year-Old-Missing-in-Oakland-Has-Cerebral-Palsy-52957877.html

An intense search is under way for a missing boy with cerebral palsy who was last seen in Oakland Monday afternoon

Five-year-old Hassani Campbell was reported missing from the area of 6000 College Avenue, according to the Oakland police youth services unit.

Police say his foster father was dropping Hassani off at a shoe store where the child's foster mother works in the Rockridge neighborhood on College Avenue at about 4:20 p.m. He left the boy in the car and walked around to the front to let him in, but he returned, Hassani was gone.

Crews combed the neighborhood with K9 search dogs and even blocked off a couple streets during the search. They asked neighbors to check their basements and back yards to make sure the boy had not wandered into one of the other buildings.

The boy, who wears leg braces to walk and is considered at risk, was still missing as of 1 p.m. Tuesday, police said.

Hassani is described as a black boy with light complexion, brown hair and brown eyes. He is around 3 feet tall and weighs around 40 pounds. He was last seen wearing a gray sweatshirt and gray pants.

Police towed the man's car as part of the investigation.

Anyone with information regarding Hassani's whereabouts should call Oakland police youth services at 510-238-3641, or call 911 if he is believed to be in immediate danger.

I can't imagine this turning out well. How does a five year old with braces on both legs disappear from the back of a car?? I've seen other reports that state the foster mother is the boys aunt and the foster father is her fiance. No news yet on why he is in their care.

[/quote]

I agree with you.

A little boy wearing leg braces doesn't disappear that quickly unless someone picked him up and took off in a hurry.  I am hoping the shopping area described had cameras???

Sounds oddly like a couple of others stories that ended with the caregiver being arrested for their murder.

[quote author=jnicole link=topic=21637.msg1359754#msg1359754 date=1250044739]
    Sounds oddly like a couple of others stories that ended with the caregiver being arrested for their murder.
    [/quote]

That was my first thought too. I wonder when the last time someone other than the parents saw the boy.
    ask me questions damnit<br />http://www.formspring.me/bama

[quote author=Bama Star link=topic=21637.msg1360014#msg1360014 date=1250070203]
    That was my first thought too. I wonder when the last time someone other than the parents saw the boy.
    [/quote]

That would be my first question if I were looking into this.

The story (what we know of it) makes no sense.&nbsp; I am looking forward to hearing more about this one.

A couple of new articles:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_13034146?source=most_viewed

Missing boy identified as 5-year-old Hassani Campbell of Fremont
    By Kristin Bender
    Oakland Tribune
    Posted: 08/10/2009 08:36:43 PM PDT
    Updated: 08/11/2009 10:08:20 AM PDT

OAKLAND — More than a dozen police continue to search this morning for a missing boy with cerebral palsy who was last seen in Oakland Monday afternoon.

Five-year-old Hassani Campbell of Fremont was reported missing from the 6000 block of College Avenue at around 4:15 p.m., according to the Oakland police youth services unit.

Witnesses told police Campbell was in Oakland with a family friend, who was dropping off another child to Campbell's aunt.

Campbell was left in the car, a newer model BMW, while the man took the other child into the aunt's home. The boy, who wears braces on both legs, was gone when the man returned, witnesses said. TV footage shot last night showed the car being towed.

The shopping district in the area of College and Harwood avenues, has been closed on and off during the search, which last night included search dogs and a helicopter.

The boy is described as light-skinned African-American, standing 3 feet tall and weighing about 40 pounds. He was wearing a gray sweatshirt and gray sweatpants the last time he was seen.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at 510-238-3641.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&amp;id=6959546&amp;rss=rss-kgo-article-6959546]
    http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&amp;id=6959546&amp;rss=rss-kgo-article-6959546

By Alan Wang and Cecilia Vega

OAKLAND, CA (KGO) -- The FBI has joined the search for a missing disabled boy from Fremont and homicide detectives are also joining the case. Investigators left with two bags full of items.

Five-year-old Hassani Campbell vanished Monday night while he was with his foster father in Oakland around 4:00 p.m.

Investigators are in a serious race against time. Police have been searching for Hassani and say the FBI received a search warrant and is now helping out with the investigation. They are at the boy's home in Fremont, and search dogs from the Alameda County Search and Rescue are on the scene as well.

FBI agents decline to specify what they are searching in the home, but added that they will be in the home for a few hours.

When asked during a media briefing Tuesday if there was any reason to believe the boy had been harmed, one police sergeant said, &quot;We don't have any specific facts to lead us in that direction but we're not discounting that as a possibility.&quot;

Investigators went door-to-door Tuesday passing out fliers showing Campbell's picture. They searched for clues in the Rockridge neighborhood where the little boy with cerebral palsy was last seen.

Police say Cambell is being raised by his aunt, Jennifer Campbell and her fiance, Lewis Ross. They are both foster parents and legal guardians to him and his 1-year-old sister. The childrens' biological parents live in the Bay Area and police say they have been contacted at this point.

The aunt works in a shoe store on Oakland's College Avenue. The boy's foster father told police he went to drop the two children off at the shoe store and left Hassani alone in his BMW which was parked behind the store. He told police that when he returned to the car the little boy was gone.

Authorities towed the BMW as evidence Monday night. Police have also interviewed both foster parents, but they will not say whether they are cooperating with the investigation.

&quot;She's a devoted caretaker, caregiver for these kids. She's a foster parent. She loves them. I know that. When she talks about the kids she beams,&quot; said John Riker who owns the Shuz of Rockridge store.

Oakland Police Chief Howard Johnson told reporters, &quot;We've devoted a significant amount of resources to finding this young child because it's very important to us that we locate him as soon as possible.&quot;

Police also said that the boy's foster father is the only person who says he saw Hassani behind the store Monday evening. No other neighbors in the area say they saw Hassani there.

On Tuesday evening, Oakland police were doing a one-mile radius search, knocking on doors in the Rockridge area, asking residents if they have seen Hassani or have any information on the case.

Hassani is described as an African-American male, three feet tall, weighing around 30 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes. He was last seen wearing a gray sweatshirt and sweat pants, along with leg braces with a Spiderman design.

Gawd, he is such a darling little boy. Bad feeling about this one but I really hope I am wrong...

He is a cutie. I don't have a good feeling about the foster parents&nbsp; :-(

The foster parents gave a brief interview to one of the newscasts.&nbsp; The mom seemed genuinely distraught and the father seemed to be in shock.&nbsp; He has agreed to take a polygraph...

[quote author=morbid1 link=topic=21637.msg1361194#msg1361194 date=1250186511]
    The foster parents gave a brief interview to one of the newscasts.&nbsp; The mom seemed genuinely distraught and the father seemed to be in shock.&nbsp; He has agreed to take a polygraph...
    [/quote]

Hmm... maybe we are wrong.

Kids *do* get abducted.&nbsp; I immediately assumed the worst of the caregivers.&nbsp; I am anxious to hear more about the polygraph.&nbsp; :-(

Could his bio parents have abducted him? I haven't watched tv, so I don't know if they were still around.

HE FAILED THE POLYGRAPH!!!

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/Police-Looking-for-Sword-in-Missing-Boys-Home-53799922.html

Police were looking for a &quot;sword or cutting instrument&quot; and biological evidence in the home where Hasanni Campbell lives with his foster parents when they searched it in the days after the 5-year-old boy was reported missing, the search warrant shows.

But they didn't take anything from the house, the Oakland Tribune reported.

Also Thursday, NBC Bay Area learned the boy's foster father, Lewis Ross, failed the polygraph test police game him last week.

Hasanni lived in Fremont with his Ross and the boy's aunt Jennifer Campbell.&nbsp; Ross reported him missing from the parking lot of the Shuz of Rockridge shoe store in the 6000 block of College Avenue in Oakland about 4:15 p.m. 10 days ago.

Investigators searched Ross' car shortly after they started the investigation and recovered a pair of latex gloves, eight DNA swabs and fingerprints.&nbsp; They towed the car the first night.

Campbell is pregnant and said she did not want to take the polygraph test because she was concerned it could harm her unborn child.&nbsp; Ross and Campbell are engaged.

Thomason said police talk to Hasanni's foster parents everyday and that they are being cooperative.

On Monday, Ross answered speculation that he might be involved in Hasanni's disappearance. He told reporters to talk to social services about the placement of Hasanni in his home.

“You go to them and ask them why they placed them with us. Because we gave a damn! These were our children.&quot; Ross said. &quot;Don't try to take that from us. This wasn't a situation where we didn't care about those children. We've fought every inch for both of them.&quot;

The couple was also serving as foster parents to Hasanni's younger sister, who has been taken from the couple.

A reporter asked Hasanni's grandmother if she thought Ross had anything to do with the disappearance and she said no and adding that she trusted Ross completely.

Thomason said police are still treating Hasanni's disappearance as a missing persons case and that there is no evidence a crime has been committed.

&quot;We're asking the public to call if they have any credible tips,&quot; Thomason said.

Police said they have followed up on all of the approximately 50 tips they've received so far but none have panned out. Thomason has told reporters that 50 is a very low number when it comes to high profile cases like Hasanni's. They normally come in by the hundreds.

Police describe Hasanni as a black boy with medium complexion, brown hair and brown eyes. He is about 3 feet tall and weighs about 30 pounds. He was last seen wearing a gray sweatshirt and grant pants.

Oakland police and Crime Stoppers is offering a $10,000&nbsp; reward for information leading to the whereabouts of Hasanni.

[quote author=morbid1 link=topic=21637.msg1366638#msg1366638 date=1250789635]

Campbell is pregnant and said she did not want to take the polygraph test because she was concerned it could harm her unborn child.

[/quote]lol wut&nbsp;
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

Damnit.

How can a polygraph hurt an unborn child?&nbsp; The stress of lying?&nbsp; I don't get it...&nbsp; It's her right to refuse, but that is a piss-poor excuse.

When he agreed to do the polygraph I wanted to believe he had nothing to hide.&nbsp; Now they are looking for a sword or cutting instrument???&nbsp;

That poor child&nbsp;

[quote author=Feetprints link=topic=21637.msg1366644#msg1366644 date=1250790519]
    lol wut&nbsp;
    [/quote]

My thoughts exactly.&nbsp; WTF is up with that??

mydeathspace

The local news is making it sound like the foster dad chopped him up with a sword. Currently looking for DNA evidence. yikes!

[quote author=mydeathspace link=topic=21637.msg1366705#msg1366705 date=1250795245]
    The local news is making it sound like the foster dad chopped him up with a sword. Currently looking for DNA evidence. yikes!
    [/quote]

Jesus Christ!&nbsp;

[quote author=mydeathspace link=topic=21637.msg1366705#msg1366705 date=1250795245]
    [/quote]
    I have not read anything about Hassani being chopped up, but yes they are looking for a sword.&nbsp; I imagine it goes something like this:

Police: Do you have any weapons?
    Foster dad: Yes, a sword
    Police: Where is it
    Dad: I dont know or some other BS.

He must have told them about the sword --How else would they know to be looking for it??&nbsp; I thought they did not find a single thing in or around the house and I was under the impression that that part of the investigation was closed.&nbsp; I hate these missing kids cases -- I hate them more when they are sooooo close to home.

:-( Dang&nbsp; :-(

mydeathspace

[quote author=morbid1 link=topic=21637.msg1366721#msg1366721 date=1250797262]
    I have not read anything about Hassani being chopped up, but yes they are looking for a sword.&nbsp;
    [/quote]

Sorry, maybe he didn't CHOP with it. More like sliced and slashed?

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

So is that Greta chick all over this one? Or that Grace lady?
    I forget their names. :oops:
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

UCK!! More news. I can't believe I empathized with this ass!

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&amp;id=6974839

important part of article:
    ABC7 received a text message from Ross regarding the sword that read: &quot;The subject of the sword came up before the search warrant. It is the only weapon we have at the house, and was discussed with police during day one of the search during questioning.&quot;
    The search warrant also revealed that Ross sent a text message to Campbell on July 31 that read, &quot;This is f***ing over, I will watch her but he will be out on the BART and its your responsibility to hey (sic) him so f*** you.&quot; (The text is believed to be about Hasanni and his 1-year-old sister.)
    The Oakland Tribune reported that Ross failed his polygraph test, but authorities declined to confirm that he failed it.

Any ideas what the &quot;hey&quot; should have been?

[quote author=morbid1 link=topic=21637.msg1366852#msg1366852 date=1250805559]
    UCK!! More news. I can't believe I empathized with this ass!

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&amp;id=6974839

important part of article:
    ABC7 received a text message from Ross regarding the sword that read: &quot;The subject of the sword came up before the search warrant. It is the only weapon we have at the house, and was discussed with police during day one of the search during questioning.&quot;
    The search warrant also revealed that Ross sent a text message to Campbell on July 31 that read, &quot;This is f***ing over, I will watch her but he will be out on the BART and its your responsibility to hey (sic) him so f*** you.&quot; (The text is believed to be about Hasanni and his 1-year-old sister.)
    The Oakland Tribune reported that Ross failed his polygraph test, but authorities declined to confirm that he failed it.

Any ideas what the &quot;hey&quot; should have been?

[/quote]

probably get. I could be wrong though. Sad I was hoping the foster parents had nothing to do with it.

I read(or heard) somewhere that if you're pregnant a lie detector could get messed up. I will look into it in a few and see.

[quote author=Laurie_khikhi link=topic=21637.msg1366856#msg1366856 date=1250806020]
    probably get. I could be wrong though. Sad I was hoping the foster parents had nothing to do with it.

I read(or heard) somewhere that if you're pregnant a lie detector could get messed up. I will look into it in a few and see.
    [/quote]

I think that blood pressure and other things might lead to a false reading in a lie detector if the woman is pregnant, but I certainly don't see how it would harm the BABY.&nbsp; That is what she claimed, right?&nbsp; I don't get it.

I can't stop thinking about what this little boy was thinking and going through.&nbsp; To consider that the man who was watching the children made that sort of comment in a text shows that he felt angry that he had to babysit.&nbsp; He took this anger out on the boy.&nbsp; I am sick about this.

As for the &quot;hey&quot; thing, it could be anything...

&quot;get&quot;
    &quot;feed&quot;
    &quot;change&quot;
    &quot;take care of&quot;

?

DAMN DAMN DAMN!!&nbsp;

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/Hasannis-Foster-Parents-Arrested-55906027.html

The foster parents of a missing 5-year-old Fremont boy were arrested for murder Friday afternoon in connection with his disappearance, Oakland Police said.

Oakland Police spokesman Jeff Thomason said Friday that Hasanni Campbell's aunt Jennifer Campbell and her fiancee Louis Ross were arrested. Oakland attorney John Burris, who has been advising the couple,&nbsp; said he was notified of the arrests this afternoon but he did not know what the couple was being held for.

Hasanni was reported missing from the parking lot of the Shuz of Rockridge shoe store in the 6000 block of College Avenue in Oakland at about 4:15 p.m. on Aug. 10.

Campbell works at the store and police say Ross was the last person to see Hasanni before he disappeared.

Police have served multiple search warrants as part of the investigation into the disappearance of the boy and the boy's foster father turned over a sword to investigators, a police spokesman and an Oakland attorney said last week.

Hasanni had been living with his foster parents, Ross and Jennifer Campbell -- who is also&nbsp; Hasanni's aunt -- at a home on Roxie Terrace in Fremont before he was reported missing.

Police spokesman Officer Jeff Thomason said last week at least one of the search warrants was served at the Roxie Terrace home, but he declined to disclose what police were looking for there.

&quot;The sword is something I keep underneath my bed.&quot; Ross told NBC Bay Area earlier. &quot;The sword was initially put in the closet, to be honest. But we had some incidents, a couple of incidents where somebody was setting off our alarm while it was in our garage.&quot;

Investigators gave Ross a polygraph test but he failed it. He says the test was fraudulent.

Ross initially responded to the polygraph result by calling them a fraud.

&quot;They gave me five questions. Three were controls. The controls was: Is my name Loius Ross? Am I 38-years-old? Do I live in Fremont? Then they asked two other questions around the case. They showed me results that said I was 99 percent deceptive.&quot; Ross detailed. &quot;So he told me I didn't even get my name right.&quot;

Thread Information