Thread: Valerie Beale (23)--Woman Denies Trying to Stab Her Baby

Valerie Beale (23)--Woman Denies Trying to Stab Her Baby

Burlington, Vermont - July 27, 2009

Valerie Beale, 23, smiled at her baby's father as she was brought into the courtroom to be charged with attempting to murder their 13-month-old girl.

The smile might have been unexpected since it was the baby's father, Alan Charbonneau, who provided the statements to police that got Beale arrested.

Police say the incident happened Sunday evening in the couple's Burlington apartment when their baby daughter wouldn't stop crying and Beale became enraged.

"At some point in time she picked up a knife, she went to shut the baby up in her words, and to carve a smile on the baby's face because the baby was crying," Chittenden County Prosecutor T.J. Donovan said.

Police say Charbonneau stepped in, blocked the attack with his body and ended up with deep scratches and a cut thumb, but the baby was not injured.

Police say Beale was still carrying the knife when they arrested her two blocks away.

She told police she never threatened the child with the knife. She denied charges of attempted first-degree murder and attempted aggravated assault.

"We'll prosecute this case to the fullest extent of the law because I don't think anybody in their wildest imagination can think something like this up," Donovan said. "Extremely disturbing."

"One child is one child way too many," said Linda Johnson of Prevent Child Abuse Vermont.

Johnson says a new state report shows a dramatic increase in the number of children injured or killed by parents because the children were crying. The report shows 737 kids were abused last year-- about the same as the prior year. But the number of babies injured by being shaken because they were crying increased to 14.

"This is very bad news," Johnson said. "In the past we've had maybe three or five a year, but certainly in a two-year period we have never seen 14. And four of the 14 died within a couple of days of being shaken."

Johnson says it's important for parents to know how to cope by putting the child down and walking out of the room to calm down and asking someone else to help with the child.

Court records show Valerie Beale has six prior convictions since 2003; four of them for burglary and theft. Burlington police reports show she was a suspect in at least 20 other thefts. Records show she also has a mental health history. She received a courthouse screening Monday and was determined to be mentally competent to be charged.

For now, Beale is being held without bail as a public threat pending a bail review hearing yet to be scheduled.

The little girl is in the father's custody, but under supervision of the state Department of Children and Families.

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=10793811

http://www.myspace.com/lenoredecaying

Re: Valerie Beale (23)--Woman Denies Trying to Stab Her Baby

According to court documents, Beale and Charbonneau got into an argument Monday night and the infant started to cry. Charbonneau told police Beale picked up and knife and said, "I'll put a smile on the baby's face." In the court papers, he told investigators that Beale said if the baby was dead "I could have my own life."

Have fun with your new "own life" bitch.
    Her myspace is utterly lacking evidence of her kid, other than she lists herself as "proud parent".

why so serious?
    "ill put a smile on that face..."

guess she's a vampire...eh...

[quote author=paranoia agent link=topic=21369.msg1346879#msg1346879 date=1248796664]
    why so serious?
    "ill put a smile on that face..."

guess she's a vampire...eh...
    [/quote]

If the woman denies everything, then why was she still carrying the knife a few blocks away when they arrested her??

What was her explanation for carrying the knife outside of the house?

[quote author=Shiki link=topic=21369.msg1346859#msg1346859 date=1248795444]
    According to court documents, Beale and Charbonneau got into an argument Monday night and the infant started to cry. Charbonneau told police Beale picked up and knife and said, "I'll put a smile on the baby's face." In the court papers, he told investigators that Beale said if the baby was dead "I could have my own life."

Have fun with your new "own life" bitch.
    Her myspace is utterly lacking evidence of her kid, other than she lists herself as "proud parent".
    [/quote]

I do not have evidence of my kids on myspace. People are creepy.

[quote author=IvannaTrailer link=topic=21369.msg1354323#msg1354323 date=1249507932]
    [/quote]

I was about to say that as well.  I finally put up that I was a mother of two on mine.

I couldn't imagine ever getting angry enough at your baby to say/do something like that.

[quote author=IvannaTrailer link=topic=21369.msg1354323#msg1354323 date=1249507932]
    [/quote][quote author=jnicole link=topic=21369.msg1357409#msg1357409 date=1249858359]
    I was about to say that as well.  I finally put up that I was a mother of two on mine.

I couldn't imagine ever getting angry enough at your baby to say/do something like that.
    [/quote]

Sad thing is I'm pretty sure there's not much evidence of me being a parent on my myspace either.

Thread Information