Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Families Stunned By Taconic Crash Revelations

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

Re: Families Stunned By Taconic Crash Revelations

[quote author=bowieluva link=topic=21513.msg1354219#msg1354219 date=1249501403]
    Ummmm.
    I've gone the wrong way on a one way street in a strange town where there are no cars, but never when there's traffic on a highway.
    But this woman was horribly impaired. It's so hard for me to swallow because to me, that argument is moot based on her decision to become that impaired.
    [/quote]

Not exactly a highway, but you know what NYC avenues look like. We turned off of the West Side Highway somewhere by 14th street near the piers, and thought we were on 12th or something. I forget.
    I'm just trying to point out that it can happen by accident, and that the person who's going the wrong way isn't gunning it while trying to hit an oncoming car.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

I heard on the radio that the husband admitted that Diane drank socially and she would occationally smoke pot, but he would never allow his own children with her thinking she would ever do those things behind the wheel.  And think of the brother, i mean he lost all his children - do you think that if he knew that his sister was an addict he would have allowed his children in a car with her for a trip around the block, let alone a hour and a half.
    she must've thought that she could handle it.  I cant imagine why she would do something so stupid.

and the fact that the other family wants to sue Diane's family... i mean, whats the point.  They experienced unimaginable loss as well.  Would the husband really send his children off with her knowing she was about to down 10oz of vodka and smoke a damn blunt?? really? what would they gain, money? would money bring their family back? i dont know.  I just cant imagine how they could punish Diane's family anymore than what they must be going through already.  Now that this info has been released this experience must be twice as devastating.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar

Totally totally agree with you.
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

I think that they should see if the kids have any trace of weed in their systems.. do you think that she could have hot boxed in the van or something? that would be so wrong.

[quote author=ZoMyGoddess! link=topic=21513.msg1354278#msg1354278 date=1249504896]
    I think that they should see if the kids have any trace of weed in their systems.. do you think that she could have hot boxed in the van or something? that would be so wrong.
    [/quote]Everything I read suggested she smoked 15 minutes to an hour prior to the crash, and since she had been in the car for over an hour... :|

[quote author=ZoMyGoddess! link=topic=21513.msg1354264#msg1354264 date=1249503680]
    I heard on the radio that the husband admitted that Diane drank socially and she would occationally smoke pot, but he would never allow his own children with her thinking she would ever do those things behind the wheel.  And think of the brother, i mean he lost all his children - do you think that if he knew that his sister was an addict he would have allowed his children in a car with her for a trip around the block, let alone a hour and a half.
    she must've thought that she could handle it.  I cant imagine why she would do something so stupid.

and the fact that the other family wants to sue Diane's family... i mean, whats the point.  They experienced unimaginable loss as well.  Would the husband really send his children off with her knowing she was about to down 10oz of vodka and smoke a damn blunt?? really? what would they gain, money? would money bring their family back? i dont know.  I just cant imagine how they could punish Diane's family anymore than what they must be going through already.  Now that this info has been released this experience must be twice as devastating.
    [/quote]
    Well the point is she probably had insurance which will, no doubt pay out more for a "wrongful death" than they would for a simple accident...
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

[quote author=puzzld link=topic=21513.msg1354288#msg1354288 date=1249505332]
    Well the point is she probably had insurance which will, no doubt pay out more for a "wrongful death" than they would for a simple accident...

[/quote]

i mean, i get that.  but being that so many lives were lost on both sides what is money going to do at this point.  then again, i dont know their financial status - but really, a trial is just going to make everything uglier and drag out the pain. IMO.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=21513.msg1354189#msg1354189 date=1249499015]
    Wrong.
    [/quote]

So what does her brain register the oncoming cars as?  Does she just not notice them?

I guess I have to chalk this up to "alcohol affects everyone differently" because that's never happened to me.  I remember everything from the night before even if I puke and pass out.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve. - Jello Biafra

[quote author=Evolved1 link=topic=21513.msg1354304#msg1354304 date=1249506488]
    So what does her brain register the oncoming cars as?  Does she just not notice them?

I guess I have to chalk this up to "alcohol affects everyone differently" because that's never happened to me.  I remember everything from the night before even if I puke and pass out.
    [/quote]

she was in the left lane of the highway, (from her POV she's on the right) she could have maybe thought it was the cars on the other side of the road. 
    the other direction is on the other side of a grassy tree-lined area so she probably couldnt even see the side she was supposed to be on.

[quote author=Evolved1 link=topic=21513.msg1354304#msg1354304 date=1249506488]

[/quote]

Are you for real?

Do you think she remembers now? Oh wait that's right, She's dead

[quote author=ZoMyGoddess! link=topic=21513.msg1354301#msg1354301 date=1249506320]
    i mean, i get that.  but being that so many lives were lost on both sides what is money going to do at this point.  then again, i dont know their financial status - but really, a trial is just going to make everything uglier and drag out the pain. IMO.
    [/quote]
    Oh I agree, but money makes people do strange things.  And who knows, they probably need a lot of it. They have several family members to bury, and god knows how much income they lost.  
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

[quote author=ZoMyGoddess! link=topic=21513.msg1354308#msg1354308 date=1249506801]
    she was in the left lane of the highway, (from her POV she's on the right) she could have maybe thought it was the cars on the other side of the road.  
    the other direction is on the other side of a grassy tree-lined area so she probably couldnt even see the side she was supposed to be on.
    [/quote]

I guess I could see that if no other cars used that lane, but there were reports of swerving, honking and flashing lights.  I wonder what all that looked like to her?  And it was the middle of the day in an area she was supposedly familiar with.  But it happened, so it's obviously possible to do...  It's just hard for me to imagine when I try to place myself in that scenario.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve. - Jello Biafra

the news reported that they have not attempted to interview Brian, the 5yr old son who is stable and recovering.  The police said that they will try to interview him if they deem it necessary. 
    he may be the only one with the answers.  i doubt he's going to remember too much.  poor lil guy.

If this situation happened in my life I would just want to die.  If my sister killed my kids and her kids in this type of situation I would never be the same.  

When we had our summer camp it was nothing to start drinking bloody marys at 8AM and just continue on from there. My kids would be with their dad on weekends that I would partake in an alcohol infested morning.  We also weren't doing anything but walking from campsite to campsite.  We had a rule that we all tossed out golf cart keys into a bucket on such days.  Not one of our "group" would have ever thought about even driving our golf carts nevermind car.

This is such a horrible story.  I read that at one point she called her brother and he told her to stay put and he would come and get her.  If only in her alcohol induced state she could have seen thru the fog in her brain.  

RIP Children and victims.  I hope the people left living to deal with this tragedy can learn to cope.  If you can you are a much better person than I.  
    Quote Originally Posted by angelaiscaustic View Post
    I mean I spent most V days drunk, but that's because I'm a lush, not bc I was bitter haha

[quote author=TinkerBelly link=topic=21513.msg1354330#msg1354330 date=1249508718]

When we had our summer camp it was nothing to start drinking bloody marys at 8AM and just continue on from there.
    [/quote]
    Yeah.  That was what I was thinking.  You're kicking back, having about 5 too many... Nothing unusual about that.  But why was she behind the wheel especially with the kids? Did she really do all that drinking once she headed out? 

[quote author=puzzld link=topic=21513.msg1354334#msg1354334 date=1249509194]
    Yeah.  That was what I was thinking.  You're kicking back, having about 5 too many... Nothing unusual about that.  But why was she behind the wheel especially with the kids? Did she really do all that drinking once she headed out? 
    [/quote]
    None of it makes sense.  None of it. 
    Quote Originally Posted by angelaiscaustic View Post
    I mean I spent most V days drunk, but that's because I'm a lush, not bc I was bitter haha

[quote author=puzzld link=topic=21513.msg1354334#msg1354334 date=1249509194]
    [/quote]

supposidly (sp?) the husband and (bear with me) the brother of the mother of the other kids (so mother would be Diane's sister in-law) helped her pack the kids into the van.  They both said they didnt sense anything wrong, she had not been drinking or doing drugs according to them.

[quote author=ZoMyGoddess! link=topic=21513.msg1354337#msg1354337 date=1249509781]
    supposidly (sp?) the husband and (bear with me) the brother of the mother of the other kids (so mother would be Diane's sister in-law) helped her pack the kids into the van.  They both said they didnt sense anything wrong, she had not been drinking or doing drugs according to them.
    [/quote]
    But if she was generally a functional alcoholic...maybe they wouldnt have been able to tell?
    You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to your own facts.- D. Moynihan
    Quote Originally Posted by aquatwins View Post
    I WILL STICK MY DICK IN YOUR HEAD

[quote author=Monter link=topic=21513.msg1354348#msg1354348 date=1249510843]
    But if she was generally a functional alcoholic...maybe they wouldnt have been able to tell?
    [/quote]

this is true, but she had 6 grams of undigested alcohol in her stomach - she was 90mins into her trip so if she hadnt drank in the car, it would all be in her blood.  The toxicologist determined she mustve smoked 15min - an hour before the crash.  it really seems she did all that stuff in the car with the kids. horrible.

[quote author=Evolved1 link=topic=21513.msg1354181#msg1354181 date=1249498337]
    I've driven really fucked up before and have never come close to doing what this chick did.  I don't see how you could be so fucked up that you think that all the cars honking and swerving around you is normal, yet still be conscious.  That's the weird part here.  She had to know she was driving the wrong way.  Maybe she wasn't suicidal per say, but just didn't give a fuck either way.   :|
    [/quote]

So you're one of those dumb sots who asserts that "I DRIVE REALL GOOD DRUNKS LOL!!239"

Sane people write kids like you off as worthless.

Did it say anywhere that the kids died on impact? I pray they did not burn to death.  Also, I wonder if the mom put her vodka in the McDonald's cup, and if that is the case the kids wouldn't know any different. Did they say if the mom smoked cigarettes? Maybe if she smoked cigarettes, the kids didn't know a cigarette from a cigaweed...

I do not blame the brother for honoring all but his sister. That would be the hardest spot to be in, it's not even like, "well I can't lay blame on her, it was a car accident"... IMO this was no "accident" (not saying I think she did it on purpose or to committ suicide, but she DID create the atmosphere).

I cannot imagine what the families feel like. Such a tremendous loss.

[quote author=absquatulated link=topic=21513.msg1354558#msg1354558 date=1249534206]
    So you're one of those dumb sots who asserts that "I DRIVE REALL GOOD DRUNKS LOL!!239"

Sane people write kids like you off as worthless.
    [/quote]
    Word. To add to that, stop basing what she was like on your own personal experiences, since you've obviously never been drunk enough to kill two car loads of people, evolved, Jesus fucking christ.

[quote author=intrigued1csc link=topic=21513.msg1354560#msg1354560 date=1249534696]
    Did it say anywhere that the kids died on impact? I pray they did not burn to death.  Also, I wonder if the mom put her vodka in the McDonald's cup, and if that is the case the kids wouldn't know any different. Did they say if the mom smoked cigarettes? Maybe if she smoked cigarettes, the kids didn't know a cigarette from a cigaweed...

I do not blame the brother for honoring all but his sister. That would be the hardest spot to be in, it's not even like, "well I can't lay blame on her, it was a car accident"... IMO this was no "accident" (not saying I think she did it on purpose or to committ suicide, but she DID create the atmosphere).

I cannot imagine what the families feel like. Such a tremendous loss.
    [/quote]When they said the results weren't released until after the funeral- do you think they were released to the family?

[quote author=Nancy Drew link=topic=21513.msg1354574#msg1354574 date=1249536566]
    When they said the results weren't released until after the funeral- do you think they were released to the family?
    [/quote]

This article makes it sound that they all had a funeral together...
    http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...tims-1.1337288
    "Moments later, Warren Hance addressed the hundreds that filled the chapel and the basement Thursday, spilling outside onto the steps and lawn. They were there to mourn the loss of Hance's daughters, his sister and niece, all killed Sunday in a tragic wrong-way crash."
    "Warren and Jackie Hance and other loved ones, including Daniel Schuler, stepped from those limos just before 10:40 a.m. and watched as ushers and pallbearers removed the white, gold-trimmed coffins holding Emma, Alyson, Kate, niece Erin and Warren's sister, Diane."

I know they had the funeral together- what I meant was, do you think the brother had been informed of the tox results at the time of the funeral?

Thread Information