Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Families Stunned By Taconic Crash Revelations

Families Stunned By Taconic Crash Revelations

I am in shock right now.  I just heard the news.  This story has been in the news on LI and they just got the tox report back.  When it happened the cops said this was NOT a drug or alcohol related crash.  She was ill.  The truth comes out.  So fucking sad.

Families Stunned By Taconic Crash Revelations
    Toxicology Report Showed Diane Schuler Had BAC Of .19; Smoked Marijuana As Recently As An Hour Before Crash

A side view of the remains of the minivan that burst into flames after crashing head-on with an SUV on the Taconic State Parkway on July 26, 2009. The minivan had traveled for 1.7 miles in the wrong direction.

The shocking revelations Tuesday in Diane Schuler's toxicology report led to more heartbreak for the loved ones she left behind on Long Island.

When word first leaked that Schuler was drunk and high when she drove the wrong way on the Taconic State Parkway and smashed head-on into an SUV, even police in her brother's hometown of Floral Park were shaken. They barricaded off the Warren Hance's neighborhood street to give the grieving couple privacy as their friends and neighbors reacted to the stunning developments.

Hance's three daughters were killed in the accident.

"I feel so bad, I really, really do. But twice the legal limit? She should have known better I would think, but we've all done things in our past that we can't turn back," said Damian Walsh, a Floral Park neighbor of Hance's.

It was just last week that the emotional community mourned together, burying five victims in all: Hance's daughters, as well as Schuler and her daughter. Now to learn that Schuler allegedly climbed in behind the wheel drunk and high on pot was almost too much to bear for parishioners of Our Lady of Victory.

"I thought medical right away, that something had happened [medically], but now it puts a whole different scenario on it," said Jo LoCurto, a parishioner at the church. "It's kind of sad. It's kind of sad for everybody to have to live with."

Schuler was born and raised in Floral Park and her three nieces all lived there too, leaving behind their mother, Jackie, and father, Warren, who wept at their funerals.

"Love your children. Cherish your children. Kiss your children, and don't ever forget," Warren said then as he broke down during the eulogy.

"He said to love your kids, that's the part that's really touching, it really touched me," said Juliet Boyce, a Floral Park resident who attended the funerals. "I'm very, very shocked."

Schuler was eulogized last week as the perfect mother, but now her husband, Danny, must come to grips with his wife's so very imperfect actions as he raises his son Bryan, the accident's only survivor.

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/taconic.state.parkway.2.1114696.html

Re: Families Stunned By Taconic Crash Revelations

Holy FUCK!
    no way - i just turned on the news to hear it.
    Thats so fucking wrong.  She killed ALL of her brother's children, her own daughter, and three men in another car.

What a fucking bitch. amazing. how could she be so fucking stupid and selfish.

This is alllll over the news here. So so sad. I cannot comprehend what a parent has to be thinking driving their children, their nieces drunk and high. I cant comprehend wtf went on. And she called her brother, whose kids she killed, to say she wasnt feeling well and he told her to pull over. I wonder how surprised he is by these developments. Ugh so ugly
    You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to your own facts.- D. Moynihan
    Quote Originally Posted by aquatwins View Post
    I WILL STICK MY DICK IN YOUR HEAD

Pictures of all of the victims but 1, are on here on a slideshow. I am so happy this lady was killed. The thought alone that she would knowingly put her family and other innocent people into a situation like she did, disgusts me. I hope it's hot down there.

http://news.aol.com/article/wrong-way-crash-driver-diane-schuler-was/588828?icid=main

While I agree with them waiting until after the funerals to release this info, her hubby HAD to have known she had *issues*.  A .19 BAC without barfing shows you are pretty used to that amount.  I wonder if her hubby knew she was drinking and toking that morning.

Wow.

RIP all those that Diane killed.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar

Oh holy fucking hell. This is beyond comprehension. And that little boy, omg. I hope they aren't bombarding him with interviews right away. My heart breaks for all of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

This is horrible, I fucking hate drunk drivers,

Also, Guy Bastardi. That is all.

I've been thinking about this ever since I logged off with my last post here. :| (Yes that makes sense in my world) Like, wtf? Seriously? It was like 1 pm and she hadn't been at a party or anything. And she was fine when she left the campsite. What the shit possessed her to drink for 90 minutes on the way home? And if she smoked less than an hour before the accident, she smoked in the van too. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

More detailed article.  This blows my mind.  Why on earth?  Almost 10 shots in an hour and a half... and weed on top of it.

It's enough to make you sick.

Cops painted a mind-boggling picture of death driver Diane Schuler on Tuesday - guzzling vodka and smoking pot with helpless kids in tow before the horrific Taconic State Parkway crash.

The 36-year-old mom drank so much she could barely see. She still had alcohol in her stomach when she crashed, killing herself, her daughter, three nieces and three men in an SUV she hit, police said.

Toxicology tests did not show what she drank, but a jumbo 1.75-liter bottle of Absolut vodka was found in the wreckage of her Ford Windstar minivan.

She consumed at least 10 ounces of liquor during the reckless 90-mile drive from a campground in Sullivan County to Briarcliff Manor in Westchester County, police said.

She smoked pot within an hour of driving the wrong way on the Taconic heading home to Long Island, police said.

The revelations brought outrage from the family of the men killed in the SUV - but silence from Schuler's relatives.

"I'm stunned that anybody would do that with kids in the car," said Robert Guzzo, whose brother-in-law and father-in-law were killed. "I'm very angry. This was not an accident ; it was a murder."

The July26 crash was ruled a homicide and referred to the Westchester County district attorney, but police don't expect charges.

The toxicology tests came as a shock after police initially said it didn't appear Schuler was drunk. Results came in Friday. Cops waited until the burials of the victims to release the results of the tests.

Killed in the Windstar were Schuler's 2-year-old daughter, Erin, and Schuler's nieces Emma Hance, 9, Alison Hance, 7, and Kate Hance, 5. Five-year-old Brian Schuler was the lone survivor.

Three Yonkers men in the SUV died - Guy Bastardi, 49, his father, Michael Bastardi, 81, and family friend Daniel Longo, 74.

"We got very devastating news today," Michael Bastardi Jr. said .

Schuler's blood-alcohol level was 0.19% - more than twice the legal limit, cops said. She had 6 grams of undigested alcohol in her stomach when she died.

"She would have had difficulty with her perception, with her judgment and her memory," said Betsy Spratt, the Westchester County toxicology examiner.

"Around that level of alcohol you start to get tunnel vision where you can't see peripherally all the time." Marijuana intensifies the effects.

Police could not say if Schuler got wasted while driving or stopped along the way. It was unclear if she was drinking before she got behind the wheel to drive the children home from camping.

Her husband, Daniel Schuler, told cops that his wife was fine when they left about 9:30 a.m. He drove one car straight home to West Babylon, L.I., while she took the kids to McDonald's.

Ann Scott, 77, who owns the campsite the family visited for three years, saw Schuler off.

"I got pretty close to her and waved goodbye," she said. "If she had alcohol in her breath, I would have smelled it."

Schuler drove erratically along much of the route. About 1 p.m., she called brother Warren Hance and said she was sick. At 1:30 p.m., Schuler entered the northbound Taconic via an exit ramp. She drove 1.7 miles the wrong way before plowing into the Bastardis.

"I don't even want to think about if the brother knew what she was doing and let those kids get in the car," Guzzo said.

How much Schuler's loved ones knew is a mystery.

"At this point we're getting limited information from the family," said Maj. William Carey of the state police.

The family was notified of the test results Friday, police said. The day before, Schuler and the four girls were laid to rest.

At the funeral, Hance lovingly remembered his three daughters and paid tribute to Schuler's "miracle" boy, Brian. He didn't say a word about his sister.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...drunk_on_.html

I read that one earlier. I didn't realize a shot was only an ounce though- TEN of those? I really wonder wtf was going on in that car, and how much the kids knew about.

HAD to have been a really selfish and misguided suicide...right?

[quote author=Nancy Drew link=topic=21513.msg1353807#msg1353807 date=1249451934]
    I read that one earlier. I didn't realize a shot was only an ounce though- TEN of those? I really wonder wtf was going on in that car, and how much the kids knew about.

[/quote]

A shot is 1.25 oz.  I suck at math, so I just chalked it up to 'almost.'  :D

[quote author=Nancy Drew link=topic=21513.msg1353807#msg1353807 date=1249451934]

[/quote]

Good God!

Just thinking about that and then looking at the pictures of those 4 little girls makes me want to vomit from sadness :-(

[quote author=yellowCake1 link=topic=21513.msg1353814#msg1353814 date=1249452945]
    Good God!

Just thinking about that and then looking at the pictures of those 4 little girls makes me want to vomit from sadness :-(

[/quote]In all the articles I read that were published before today, everyone seemed to think of her as a doting, loving mother. Everyone suspected she had some medical condition the day of the accident. Didn't seem like she was the type to have a couple drinks and then drive somewhere with the kids in the car- not saying that would be okay either, but this was SO extreme and seemed so far removed from her that I really wonder if she was on a suicide mission.

Maybe something happened at the campsite with her and her husband and she thought she'd get revenge where it would hurt the most? I'm obviously speculating. I wonder if the receipt for the vodka was also in the van. I'd like to know when she purchased that.

I'm still looking up whatever I can find on this.

[quote author=Nancy Drew link=topic=21513.msg1353819#msg1353819 date=1249453561]
    In all the articles I read that were published before today, everyone seemed to think of her as a doting, loving mother. Everyone suspected she had some medical condition the day of the accident. Didn't seem like she was the type to have a couple drinks and then drive somewhere with the kids in the car- not saying that would be okay either, but this was SO extreme and seemed so far removed from her that I really wonder if she was on a suicide mission.

Maybe something happened at the campsite with her and her husband and she thought she'd get revenge where it would hurt the most? I'm obviously speculating. I wonder if the receipt for the vodka was also in the van. I'd like to know when she purchased that.

I'm still looking up whatever I can find on this.
    [/quote]

I don't get it. If he threatened her with divorce and told her he would most certainly get custody of the kids, then she ran off and killed herself and the kids, I could see that. Fuck up as it is I can see that.

But to take your own brothers kids along for the ride with you? That adds a whole other level.

I wonder if she was a recreational pot smoker. If not and it was a last minute decision, where did she get it? who gave it to her?

[quote author=yellowCake1 link=topic=21513.msg1353822#msg1353822 date=1249454483]

I don't get it. If he threatened her with divorce and told her he would most certainly get custody of the kids, then she ran off and killed herself and the kids, I could see that. Fuck up as it is I can see that.

But to take your own brothers kids along for the ride with you? That adds a whole other level.

I wonder if she was a recreational pot smoker. If not and it was a last minute decision, where did she get it? who gave it to her?

[/quote]Yeah, I mean, I have no idea. I think I've read pretty much every article and I'm just at a loss. I wondered about the pot as well. Maybe she had some sort of double life?

And- sorry, I can't remember what I read here and what I read on news sites outside of here- her phone was found at a rest stop. So she called her brother from a rest stop, then just said fuck it and got back on the highway?

It just doesn't make sense. A suicide? But how could someone described by people as "a tremendous mother," etc., do it? At first I thought maybe she got lost and had an anxiety attack or something and took a shot or two and/or hit or two after that to calm herself down, then realized she couldn't drive and called her brother- but obviously it was waaaay more than that, plus by all accounts she went to the same campsite every weekend and could "drive it blindfolded," so there goes that theory too. Maybe she thought the SIL was having an affair with her husband? I don't know, next thing I will be coming up with conspiracy kidnapping theories like in the Kellie Hall thread...I'm just trying to get myself into her head and it's impossible.

Those poor, poor little girls. I don't want to think of what they went through. Five would be old enough to realize something was super wrong, but eight? God, I wonder what those girls knew. I wonder if she talked to them throughout or just ignored them as they grew more and more frantic.

Man, forums that aren't MDS:

After reading this story over and over again, I feel that Diane Schuler was hypnotized by the road. Lost in a daze and believe me when it happens coming out of the trans is just as scary. I've been hypnotized on the road once and it's scary because I almost crashed. You see the road but it's not the road and you don't see anything around or hear anything around you. It's scary!! I feel for this family and the child that survived, I know that what has happened will never leave his heart and it will take long for him to heal. My heart and love go out to this families!

The fuck?

I'm also curious now as to why she called her brother instead of her husband.

Sorry, I'm done for now after this. :oops:

Her brother, the father of the three girls who died, said she called him about a half-hour before the wreck sounding disoriented and saying she didn't feel well. Schuler's 8-year-old niece also spoke briefly with her father from the highway. The woman's cell phone was later found abandoned at a rest stop.

Witnesses said they saw Schuler's minivan straddling two lanes and tailgating, with its headlights flashing and horn beeping.

Others saw the vehicle veering from one lane to another, and one witness said it appeared as if she was attempting to pass him on the shoulder of the highway. Another witness said the van drove across a grass divider at a service area.

Six drivers called 911 before the collision, which happened after Schuler drove 1.7 miles south in the parkway's northbound lane.

An attorney who served as a family spokesman at funerals last week did not immediately return a telephone message left by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Floral Park village police blocked access to the home of Schuler's brother and said no one was there to comment. There was no answer when a reporter knocked on the door of the Schuler family home in West Babylon.

Neither Schuler's husband nor extended family has spoken with reporters about the crash. The families issued a statement last week calling Schuler "a devoted mother to her children, Bryan and Erin."

"She was a constant, doting presence in her nieces' lives, and our extended family admired her competence, ease with children and sense of humor," it said. "Never has there been a more responsible and trusted friend or caregiver."

Something's gonna come out with this. Granted, I have no idea what. :|

I wonder if she was acting messed up in McDonalds?

I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

wow, i was right around this lady's path on the same day, driving ryan home to CT! Thank god I wasnt that close to her. Jesus. I dont think she would have been that messed up in mcdonalds. i think she did his shit on purpose. Although, i wonder what the kids knew. An 8 yr old should be able to recognize an alcohol bottle to the extent of questioning her. and if she was tailgating and beeping etc...my 5 year old tells me how to drive all the time. He's like "watch out, the light up there is red" (of course its like a mile away) but there's no way if I were driving like a crazy person...he would be flipping out. So I'd have to think the kids knew something and were scared :(
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    I love everyone except Amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowCake1 View Post
    Amy's taste > Tara's

Damn.  Her poor brother.

And everybody else involved too. 
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Good god.    I can't even compute the loss.  Wow.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

I don't see why it's so hard to believe someone can hide addiction. Not everyone looks like the people on Interventon.
    It seems to me like the people saying it's suicide aren't ready to deal with the ugly truth here. Usually it's the other way around though...with people denying the suicide. Weird.

But this chick got fucked up, and drove. The end.

Happens with these housewives all the time.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

I could not believe this when I heard it. I really thought it was going to be a medical condition. A few guys I work with said suicide and I was like no way. I like to think that people are good, but this makes me think twice about that. To me if she was drinking that much on a Sunday morning, then she had to have had a drinking problem, I can't imagine her being that bad and the family not knowing. Things still don't add up for me..

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=21513.msg1353903#msg1353903 date=1249477461]
    I don't see why it's so hard to believe someone can hide addiction. Not everyone looks like the people on Interventon.
    It seems to me like the people saying it's suicide aren't ready to deal with the ugly truth here. Usually it's the other way around though...with people denying the suicide. Weird.

But this chick got fucked up, and drove. The end.

Happens with these housewives all the time.

[/quote]

I'm living proof of that.

I wonder if the brother will talk about when she called him.  If he knew then that she'd been drinking, if the family knew she had a drinking problem.

I may have missed this too, but didn't the husband leave when she left the campground?  Were they not following each other?

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

[quote author=InMyLife link=topic=21513.msg1353906#msg1353906 date=1249478208]
    I could not believe this when I heard it. I really thought it was going to be a medical condition. A few guys I work with said suicide and I was like no way. I like to think that people are good, but this makes me think twice about that. To me if she was drinking that much on a Sunday morning, then she had to have had a drinking problem, I can't imagine her being that bad and the family not knowing. Things still don't add up for me..
    [/quote]

Is it actually possible that getting into the car with these kids and driving the wrong way on an expressway was her idea for a kick-ass suicide? Sure.
    But I don't see how her simply deciding to drive drunk doesn't seem like the more plausible scenario. :?

[quote author=andrea0121 link=topic=21513.msg1353908#msg1353908 date=1249478592]
    I'm living proof of that.

I wonder if the brother will talk about when she called him.  If he knew then that she'd been drinking, if the family knew she had a drinking problem.

I may have missed this too, but didn't the husband leave when she left the campground?  Were they not following each other?
    [/quote]

I have to read your latest posts. I'm so clueless.

But I don't understand why people are all 'conspiracy theory' all over this one. She was a drunk, and she drove. It makes more sense than her methodically putting together this elaborate scheme to kill herself, the kids, and some people on the road to-be-named-later.
    I gotta read up on this one some more though. Just cause I'm curious if I can see what some people are seeing.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Thread Information