Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Families Stunned By Taconic Crash Revelations

In Diane Schuler 2009 Taconic Parkway crash, 4 lawsuits settled

Four lawsuits have been settled from a 2009 crash that killed eight after a drunk and high West Babylon woman drove the wrong way on the Taconic State Parkway, according to court documents and attorneys handling two of the cases.

The lawsuits against the estate of Diane Schuler, 36, claimed she was negligent when she drove a minivan south in the northbound lanes of the parkway on July 26, 2009. Schuler, one of her children and three of her young nieces in the minivan were killed, as were three people in the northbound car she hit.

Officials said Schuler's blood-alcohol level was 0.19, more than twice the legal limit of 0.08, and that she had consumed marijuana.

"The terms of the settlement are confidential and the court records are sealed," attorney Kevin Grennan, of Garden City, said Wednesday. Online records show the four cases, all in state Supreme Court in Westchester County, were marked with a disposition date of Sept. 11, 2013.

Grennan said there are still two cases pending in the state Court of Claims alleging that the design of the roadway was faulty. Grennan was the attorney in one of the Westchester County cases, representing Bryan Schuler, who was 5 at the time and the sole survivor, and the estate of Erin Schuler, 2, who was killed. He also is the attorney in one of the Court of Claims cases.

The settlement included claims by the estates of the three Yonkers men in the other car who died: Guy Bastardi, 49; his father, Michael Bastardi, 81; and their friend, Daniel Longo, 74.
    http://www.newsday.com/long-island/s...tled-1.8925923
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Yes, the roadway design is faulty, and not our mother who drove drunk/high. Riiiiight.

Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

http://briarcliff.dailyvoice.com/new...ues-state-laws

Oh, and the idiot husband sued his brother in law - you know, the one that lost all of his kids in the crash - for owning the minivan.

What the hell.

Quote Originally Posted by MBPearls View Post
    http://briarcliff.dailyvoice.com/new...ues-state-laws

Oh, and the idiot husband sued his brother in law - you know, the one that lost all of his kids in the crash - for owning the minivan.

What the hell.
    Yah, there is quite a lot of discussion in this thread about what a piece of shit the husband is and his disgusting lawsuits.

I saw a show where the husband consulted the best medical examiners in the country to get them to say she wasn't drinking when she crashed. They all told him she was, and he still wasn't satisfied!

One M.E. did try it make him feel a little better by saying she had an assessed tooth, so she was in extreme pain and that's possibly why she drank. The husband said she mistook the bottle of vodka for water! I had to turn the tv off before I started screaming at it.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I've just read this entire thread and I have a couple of questions I didn't see answered.

1. Was there something wrong with the car? Witnesses said it was driving erratically, horn beeping, lights flashing and one person said Diane looked like she was scared out of mind before the crash. I'm asking because I was a passenger in a car that crashed because the accelerator stuck and the brakes wouldn't work. That's what the driver said anyway. I had a head injury and no memory of what right before and after the accident.

2. Were Diane and Daniel the only adults on that camping trip? Where were the 3 nieces' parents? I've been on many family trips where we took more than 1 car. We always stayed together in case something went wrong. Like car trouble, someone being sick, or having to move 1 or 2 kids to another car. Why was Diane, with the abscessed tooth made responsible all the kids? It doesn't make sense to me. If the cars had stayed together, the accident may have been prevented. Maybe when she called her brother (father of 3 of the kids) and said she was sick, he said, "F*ck it, hurry up and get that car here now and stop the bs!" Maybe that's why he delayed calling 911, and thought better of it when it was too late. Meanwhile Diane gets pissed and slugs some vodka and lights a joint?

3. Even though witnesses say the bodies were on fire, there was nothing about them being burnt. I wonder if that was the result of the vodka being slashed around the car during the crash. Or even the cause of problems in the car.

I'm not trying to exonerate Diane but I am having trouble about putting all the blame on her. As far as Dan suing his brother-in-law and the state, I'm not sure I blame him for that. He's probably being sued left and right, not to mention that he lost his wife and one child while another kid was critically injured.

Still, my biggest question is where in hell were the Hances when Diane Schuler was drunk driving their kids to their death?

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Crone View Post
    I've just read this entire thread and I have a couple of questions I didn't see answered.

1. Was there something wrong with the car? Witnesses said it was driving erratically, horn beeping, lights flashing and one person said Diane looked like she was scared out of mind before the crash. I'm asking because I was a passenger in a car that crashed because the accelerator stuck and the brakes wouldn't work. That's what the driver said anyway. I had a head injury and no memory of what right before and after the accident.

2. Were Diane and Daniel the only adults on that camping trip? Where were the 3 nieces' parents? I've been on many family trips where we took more than 1 car. We always stayed together in case something went wrong. Like car trouble, someone being sick, or having to move 1 or 2 kids to another car. Why was Diane, with the abscessed tooth made responsible all the kids? It doesn't make sense to me. If the cars had stayed together, the accident may have been prevented. Maybe when she called her brother (father of 3 of the kids) and said she was sick, he said, "F*ck it, hurry up and get that car here now and stop the bs!" Maybe that's why he delayed calling 911, and thought better of it when it was too late. Meanwhile Diane gets pissed and slugs some vodka and lights a joint?

3. Even though witnesses say the bodies were on fire, there was nothing about them being burnt. I wonder if that was the result of the vodka being slashed around the car during the crash. Or even the cause of problems in the car.

I'm not trying to exonerate Diane but I am having trouble about putting all the blame on her. As far as Dan suing his brother-in-law and the state, I'm not sure I blame him for that. He's probably being sued left and right, not to mention that he lost his wife and one child while another kid was critically injured.

Still, my biggest question is where in hell were the Hances when Diane Schuler was drunk driving their kids to their death?
    The oldest Hance daughter called her dad and told him that she thinks there's something wrong with Aunt Diane.

I think this was a murder/suicide. That's only logical conclusion that I can come up with.

This is all from http://www.autopsyfiles.org/reports/...ice_report.pdf

1. Was there something wrong with the car? Witnesses said it was driving erratically, horn beeping, lights flashing and one person said Diane looked like she was scared out of mind before the crash.
    I don't think there was a problem with the car. They said she was driving erratically, but that she had actually pulled over and stopped the car twice to throw up in between. This is just me, but if my car was randomly accelerating and I managed to stop it, I sure as hell wouldn't be getting back in it, especially with those poor children.

And of course she looked scared out of her mind, she couldn't see or speak clearly.

Diane and Daniel were the only adults on the camping trip. They had borrowed the minivan so they could take all the kids.

I'm not trying to exonerate Diane but I am having trouble about putting all the blame on her. As far as Dan suing his brother-in-law and the state, I'm not sure I blame him for that. He's probably being sued left and right, not to mention that he lost his wife and one child while another kid was critically injured

Vodka would burn up quickly, though.

Witnesses were able to pull the children from the car before they were too badly burned.

Mr. Hance was at his office when he spoke to Diane. He told her to stay where she was and that he would meet her there. He called two police departments and even stopped at one of them, telling them that there was a possible medical emergency.

There is no way in hell Mr. Hance should be sued. Ridiculous. This is all on Diane.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Just as I suspected. A ring of elderly pedophiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Love View Post
    Fucking piece of shit, fucking scum, internet ass holes. fucking ingrate no life having fat ass. you have no fucking clue at whats going on fuck tard shit for brains.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I just read this entire thread. The answer is simple to me. Closet drinker, Social Drinker, Not usually a drinker, the Family DID/DID NOT know....doesn't matter.

1. She got in a car with a boatload of kids.
    2. She was fucked up. (At the campsite, from the night before with hair of the dog or chugging on the road...doesn't matter).
    3. She KILLED 7 people plus herself.

End. Of. Story.

This had to be SO heartbreaking for everyone. Whether the Husband and Family knew she had problems or not doesn't really matter now. Only that everyone lost someone that day and they'll never be the same. Picking apart really does no good since it won't change anything unless it's in regards to lawsuits. She fucked up hardcore and a slew of people paid the price for the actions of this cunt.

Oh! And Orajel makes you come up positive on a BAC test apparently.

DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE. Period. You can't take it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Kasey: A Love Story
    You know the old saying, "A baby is God's opinion that life should go on"? For us that couldn't be more true.
    By Jackie Hance

I'm amazed when I look at this photo since it seems so normal. In the first weeks after Kasey Rose was born, in October 2011, I thought becoming a mother again was a terrible mistake. I wasn't sure I could let myself love her. Two years earlier my daughters Emma, Alyson, and Katie (8, 7, and 5) were killed in a car accident that became known as the "Wrong Way on the Taconic" tragedy.

My husband Warren's sister, Diane, was driving the car, and tests later showed she'd been drinking.
    After the accident I was so consumed with grief and anger that I felt I didn't deserve to be happy. I felt guilty playing with Kasey when her sisters weren't here to have fun with us. My friends gushed and cooed over the baby, but I was frozen. Then early one morning Kasey beamed her first toothless smile at me, and my heart began to thaw. Gradually I came to realize that loving Kasey didn't mean I was betraying her sisters. We're all a family, and Kasey is part of a bigger story.

When I was pregnant with Kasey I wrote an article for Ladies' Home Journal and the outpouring of support I received convinced me I should write a book to help other people struggling with tragedy. I'll See You Again is a story about hope. I want everyone to know that even though the worst happened to me, I'm still here.

I think constantly about Emma, Alyson, and Katie. But I also allow myself the pleasures of being with Kasey. At different times she reminds me of each of her sisters, and she's given Warren and me a reason to keep going. I finally understand that we can't control the sadness in our past. All we can do is try to build a future based on love.

http://www.lhj.com/relationships/fam...-hance-update/
    Last edited by nestlequikie; 09-05-2014 at 02:03 PM.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

I thought her death pic was posted in here, some where.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

The pics are still out on the interwebs......NSFW ACCIDENT PHOTOS AT LINK http://www.documentingreality.com/fo...y-crash-85422/

"Satisfaction of ones curiosity is one of the greatest sources of happiness in life" Linus Pauling

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    Ok just watched the documentary. I can't help but wonder if diane and hubby crept away and smoked a fat one before they both left the campsite and he's trying to throw all this smoke up paying for re-testing, thinking about exhuming, so that he isn't slapped with some sort of criminal responsibility? I wouldn't have considered that till Jay said she knew Diane would smoke before bed (hubs says rare occasion..hmm). Could be the case with the alcohol too, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

Yeah. Daniel knows something.

I thought it was telling that, in that documentary, he was mad because Diane was the one who wanted kids, now here he is left to take care of a disabled child on his own.

I still think she might have had an Ambien in there somewhere. You can act totally normal emotion-wise and speech-wise even when "nobody's home" in terms of your actions.

Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    Yeah. Daniel knows something.

I thought it was telling that, in that documentary, he was mad because Diane was the one who wanted kids, now here he is left to take care of a disabled child on his own.

I still think she might have had an Ambien in there somewhere. You can act totally normal emotion-wise and speech-wise even when "nobody's home" in terms of your actions.
    Daniel is such a piece of shit. I really dislike that man.

They drug tested her several times, they would have detected it if it was in her system. She was drunk, the kids picked up on it, whoever she talked to picked up on it-she behaved like a very drunk driver.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I love that she named her daughter she had after the accident, Kasey. I noticed all the letters in that name, are letters that are in the names of all 3 daughters she lost in the accident. Not sure if that was intentional, but I just notice things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

I can't imagine how scared those kids must have been. They knew there was a problem and couldn't stop it

Fuck this bitch.

Yeah, normally death pics somewhat affect me, but not this bitch. I look at her dead fat ass laying on the ground and think:

Same reaction to Dylan and Eric's from Columbine death pics.

Too bad she took a shit ton of innocent people with her. Dumb cunt.
    Last edited by debk589; 08-27-2014 at 05:22 AM.

I just watched the documentary There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane. I'd forgotten about this case and thread, and was looking for something to watch on Amazon Prime, and there it was (it is also on YouTube if anyone is interested).

The biggest thing that I came away with after watching it was that there was a TON of denial that went on in that family. Not just after the accident (which is obvious), but also prior to.

For example, there was a lot of talk about how Diane's mother left her family when Diane was a child and how nobody talked about it. It finally came out that she'd basically run away with a neighbor who was a family friend. Dian'es husband stated that he didn't know why Diane's mother had left, that Diane never wanted to talk about it. Something affects you that much and you don't want to talk about it with your husband? The husband didn't seem to think that was a big deal.

Another indication was when the husband talked about Bryan, the one son who survived. He was asked if he was in therapy and he said no, that Bryan was fine (later, his sister in law says that Bryan's pediatrician told him he needs to get the kid in therapy and they have made an appointment).

What else went on in that family that they just didn't talk about? Lots, I'd wager.
    "...Jeffrey Dahmer... actually confessed and accepted his punishment. Had real remorse for the sick things he did. It's pretty bad when Jeffrey Dahmer is a better person than you are." ~Justice11 (re: Jodi Arias)

Answers to your questions

I just finished reading a book about this tragedy. I also remember when it happened.

According to witnesses, Diane Schuler was not horn beeping and light flashing, those things were being done to her by other drivers to try to get her attention. As far as driving erratically, witnesses say that occurred earlier in the drive home from the campground. By the time she was driving the wrong way on the Taconic she appeared to be pretty focused on the road, though she apparently did enter her right shoulder a little, which was actually the left shoulder of the northbound Taconic. I do not think there was something wrong with the car based on my personal investigation. I am not an expert, just a person who tends to reconstruct things to try to understand how they occurred.

Diane and Daniel Schuler were the only adults on this trip. The nieces' parents were home on Long Island. It would certainly have made much more sense for the cars to travel together but apparently there was a rift between Diane and Daniel so they drove back independent of one another. If Diane truly had an abcessed tooth, or anything wrong with her for that matter, her husband should have taken responsibility for the youngsters involved in this tragedy. Is it possible he left that morning before Diane arose, I suppose so. Then he would not have known her state of being. Even if he was at odds with his wife he should have considered the children. It seems clear he was not concerned with the children's well-being.

As far as Warren Hance responding to his sister Diane's phone calls about "not feeling well", I do not think he would have dismissed the phone call as BS. 911 was never called by him or his wife. The theory I believe is that he knew his sister was drunk, wanted to avoid an embarrassing situation that had probably been covered up before, and took off to locate her without having to involve the police. According to the medical examiner and toxicology reports, the amount of alcohol that was found in Diane's system could not have been consumed in the short period of time between the calls and the accident.

I know I am late to the party, but I am almost done watching 'There's something wrong with Aunt Diane'. I just can't believe the audacity of her husband.

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    I know I am late to the party, but I am almost done watching 'There's something wrong with Aunt Diane'. I just can't believe the audacity of her husband.
    I've watched that a few times, and I agree with you. I really liked Jay and felt sad for her. She was very much in denial. But her husband straight up saying that he basically didn't want to deal with his own child was appalling.

I'll have to watch this....

Daniel went home a different way from Dianne because he was towing the trailer (and/or) boat. I know I read that somewhere.

Senior Member UncomfortablyNumb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Daniel went home a different way from Dianne because he was towing the trailer (and/or) boat. I know I read that somewhere.
    I think you're right. She had all the kids and stopped at McDonald's to get them something to eat. Not sure if that would be a different route, but she didn't go home right away like he did.

Thread Information