Thread: Patrick Cooper (16) died after he called his brother to say he was being chased by a bear

Patrick Cooper (16) died after he called his brother to say he was being chased by a bear

Patrick Cooper had already turned around after reaching the halfway point in a popular mountain race in Alaska when he somehow veered off the trail and became lost. That's when the 16-year-old Anchorage boy encountered the black bear that would take his life in a rare predatory attack.

Cooper began running, and at one point he reportedly placed a frantic call to his brother, saying he was being chased by a bear Sunday in the Robert Spurr Memorial Hill Climb race south of Anchorage. The brother notified race director Brad Precosky, who alerted race crews to begin searching for Cooper, known as Jack.

It took a couple hours for responders to locate the teen, whose body was found about a mile up the path, at about 1,500 vertical feet (457 vertical meters). The bear was found at the site, guarding the body, Precosky said.

A Chugach State Park ranger shot the 250-pound (113-kilogram) bear in the face, but the animal ran away.

Alaska State Troopers said the boy's remains were airlifted from the scene on Sunday.

State park staffers were scouring the area Monday looking for the bear, state Fish and Game spokesman Ken Marsh said. Sunday's attack was believed to have been a rare predatory move, not a defensive action such as when a female bear will protect her cubs, he said.

"It's very unusual," Marsh said of the mauling. "It's sort of like someone being struck by lightning."

Later Monday, a second fatal mauling at the hands of a black bear was reported nearly 300 miles northeast of Anchorage. Officials with an underground gold mine reported a contract employee hired to take geological samples was killed and another injured in a black bear attack.

No names have been released. Alaska State Troopers and federal mine officials are investigating the mauling at Pogo Mine.

Matt Wedeking, division operations manager with Alaska State Parks, said the predatory behavior of the bear in the attack on the teen was not normal. Asked if there were cubs around this black bear, he said, "We don't know. There could have been. But right now I don't have any information about the bear."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/20...reme-race.html

Most awesome Member emmy_dreamy's Avatar
    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/adn...&pid=185852692

Patrick "Jack" Cooper (2001 - 2017)
    Obituary

Patrick ""Jack"" Cooper, 16, passed away on June 18, 2017. Jack was born on Jan. 12, 2001. A service will be held at the Anchorage Church of Christ, 2700 Debarr Road in Anchorage, Alaska, on Saturday, June 24, 2017, at 6 p.m. A full obituary will be run at a later date. Arrangements are with Janssen's Evergreen Memorial Chapel.
    Published in Alaska Dispatch News on June 20, 2017
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/signaturepics/sigpic8247_1.gif

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Poor guy.

Patrick "Jack" Cooper (2001 - 2017)
    Obituary

Patrick ""Jack"" Cooper, 16, passed away on June 18, 2017. Jack was born on Jan. 12, 2001. A service will be held at the Anchorage Church of Christ, 2700 Debarr Road in Anchorage, Alaska, on Saturday, June 24, 2017, at 6 p.m. A full obituary will be run at a later date. Arrangements are with Janssen's Evergreen Memorial Chapel.
    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/adn...&pid=185852692

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Ah ha ~ great minds think alike, Emmy.

Most awesome Member emmy_dreamy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    Ah ha ~ great minds think alike, Emmy.
    Can't find a facebook though. Good luck.
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/signaturepics/sigpic8247_1.gif

Black bears usually don't attack people? I wonder if it's the same one that killed both people?

Poor Patrick, what a terrifying way to die.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

This is probably going to haunt my dreams. Christ.

Damn they shot the bear in the face. People are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by S281Saleen160 View Post
    I was surprised to read that part myself. The way it read to me was that the attack was aggressive and when they found the boy, the bear was guarding his body. Perhaps they didn't want to take any chances that the bear would run off and attack more people?
    The whole thing is what nightmares are made of.

Well, you would know.

Quote Originally Posted by zombiemoon View Post
    I was surprised to read that part myself. The way it read to me was that the attack was aggressive and when they found the boy, the bear was guarding his body. Perhaps they didn't want to take any chances that the bear would run off and attack more people?
    They almost always put down an animal that has killed a person. There is a pretty good article I remember reading about the reasoning for it.

This is the most relevant part in regards to you question:

Man-eaters do have a tendency to turn a one-time thing into a habit. A small number of aberrant animals are responsible for a shockingly high share of human attacks. The infamous Panar leopard of Northern India killed and mostly ate 410 human beings until the famous hunter Jim Corbett ended its career in 1910.

A single, huge crocodile in Burundi had eaten up to 300 people as of 2008. ”Gustave” is presumably still out there in the wild. A Frenchman by the name of Patrice Faye spent about 15 years unsuccessfully trying to trap the creature alive.

And here is the rest if anyone is interested in reading the whole thing. Some parts feel more like the opinion of the writer, though.
    http://www.slate.com/articles/health..._kill_it_.html
    Last edited by Jumaki15; 06-21-2017 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Added part of article

Quote Originally Posted by zombiemoon View Post
    Yes the attack was aggressive, as it should be, this is a wild animal we're talking about. Its not the bears fault and the bear should not have been shot. Why do idiots think they can venture into the forest or jungle then expect not to be killed by wild animals? Humans go off and kill wild animals for sport, you dont see other humans shooting humans in the face for violent acts against animals so why should humans kill animals for doing what they do in their natural habitat? Its fucked up. And I dont buy the whole black bears dont usually attack and kill. We have black bears here by me and its noted everywhere do not fuck with bears or you will be killed by the bears.

Yes the attack was aggressive, as it should be, this is a wild animal we're talking about. Its not the bears fault and the bear should not have been shot. Why do idiots think they can venture into the forest or jungle then expect not to be killed by wild animals? Humans go off and kill wild animals for sport, you dont see other humans shooting humans in the face for violent acts against animals so why should humans kill animals for doing what they do in their natural habitat? Its fucked up. And I dont buy the whole black bears dont usually attack and kill. We have black bears here by me and its noted everywhere do not fuck with bears or you will be killed by the bears.
    The way they described the attack being aggressive is because there was no reason the bear should have attacked, meaning they didn't find cubs near by or a den. The fact that the bear attacked at all is extremely rare and when they found the boy, they shot the bear in order to prevent it from continuing to feed on the boy or choose to attack others.
    Do I LIKE the fact that the bear was shot, personally no I don't, however these weren't poachers out fucking around shooting bears in the face for fun. This was a matter of life and death for the people around.
    I think it said the bear ran off and they were unable to track it. So it's possible that the bear survived.

Black bear lives matter ✊🏿

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post

They almost always put down an animal that has killed a person. There is a pretty good article I remember reading about the reasoning for it.

This is the most relevant part in regards to you question:

And here is the rest if anyone is interested in reading the whole thing. Some parts feel more like the opinion of the writer, though.
    http://www.slate.com/articles/health..._kill_it_.html
    A friend who studied cougars claims that Mom teaches the cubs how and what to hunt, so if bunnies are common when the cub is a kitten that's going to be the default food for the whole life of the cat... unless it finds something easier. Like say people.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

RIP Jack.

I feel sorry for the bear. I mean, if it were me being chased and mauled Id want someone to kill it in it's face. Still sad when an animal dies for being an animal.

Do they really think this is a predatory attack? If so, there wasn't much hope for the poor man. Obviously.

RIP near.
    [quote author=thanatos link=topic=5272.msg211093#msg211093 date=1172939327]<br />Thank you! Good Karma for you! I&#39;m sick of everyone using &quot;bi-polar&quot; as an excuse for violent behavior. Pet peeve here. :2angry:<br />[/quote][quote author=Olivia link=topic=5272.msg

As far as people shooting people for animal abuse.....Dude. Get a bunch of SPCA volunteers onto the subject and whhhoooooo, you'll hear some mess that makes "Saw" look like a pillow fight.

To be fair, and not trying to blame the bear for anything, but in general black bears WILL get as far away from a human as they can when confronted. You're absolutely right that they'll kill, but I hunting down people is almost statistically unheard-of.

Could be that the bear's predatory instincts were triggered by this poor kid running past him.

But how long was this call to his brother? If a bear was flat-out chasing you, you wouldn't have time to talk long. Maybe you'd have a little longer if the bear was stalking you. That one guy killed in Denali ( I think it was Denali National Park) took several pictures of the black bear that ate him. AS it stalked him.

If you have a chance, google the pics. Chilling and sad stuff.
    [quote author=thanatos link=topic=5272.msg211093#msg211093 date=1172939327]<br />Thank you! Good Karma for you! I&#39;m sick of everyone using &quot;bi-polar&quot; as an excuse for violent behavior. Pet peeve here. :2angry:<br />[/quote][quote author=Olivia link=topic=5272.msg

We're talking about Alaska. The dangerous animal capital of the world.

Alaska just came out of light winter (they have dark winter, then light winter before spring/summer) and all the bears are coming out of hibernation.
    May and June are considered a transitional period for Alaska. Brown bears usually start to come out of hibernation around May- and there are warnings up everywhere.

Black bears will kill and eat anything especially if they're having a hard time getting food. Bears will kill moose, caribou, and even cougars.
    (thanks to the documentary show on Netflix "life below Zero" )

One of the stars on Life below Zero and how she explains the bear attack on her
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-...al-bear-attack

What went wrong on the day you were attacked?
    I have to use both hands to pump water out of the river so I put down my rifle. A juvenile male had been hiding and he snatched me up, dragged me into the tundra and did what I call an alpha push: they take their jaws, wrap them around your head ? I can still feel where the teeth went into the skull ? and they toss you around.

Why an alpha push?
    They see me as a bear: I'm protecting my territory and they want to steal it so the chicks see what a badass bear he is. If you put any back pressure on the claws, that's a rule of engagement meaning: I'll take you on, let's go. So while all of this is happening, you have to maintain your composure. You don't play dead because being limp as a noodle will put pressure on the claws. You must roll with it, you must try to maintain your composure.
    He charged me a few more times before disappearing over the bank. That's my clue: he's taking me territory and if I don't finish the job, he will. Had it been an older bear, I would not be here.
    Mauled Sue Vs angry bear... What did you do?
    I made my way back to the dining hall and called for help on the air-to-ground [radio]. I left a message on the troopers' answer-phone: "Sue at Kavik had been attacked by a bear and needs help". They never showed up. Later, I found out that they thought the bear had ransacked camp but hadn't hurt me because I sounded so calm.
    My hips had been torn out of my sockets so I cinched them together with my gun-belt, sewed up my head and my arm, went out and shot the bear. On the way back to camp, my hips gave out so I had to drag myself back. And then I laid there for 10 days until somebody found me.
    Who found you?
    A pilot. There aren't many people up here but you get in tight with your pilot friends because they are gonna save my bacon when it needs saving. It's a symbiotic relationship because I'm the only resident and the only gas station in an area about a third of the size of California.
    Why did it take so long?
    I could hear the plane flying over but it was foggy so he couldn't see. He could make out that the fuel shed was open because I had been working out that way before I went to get the water. When I didn't answer the air-to-ground, he assumed I was out working and took off. A few days later I could hear him flying over again. When I didn't answer, he left a message: "Good Lord, you're trapped in the fog. Hope you're ok."
    On the 10th day, the fog had cleared and he saw that nothing had changed ? the fuel shed was still open, the equipment was still out ? so he knew something was wrong. He landed, found me, helped clean me up because I' had to perform my bodily functions. The next day he flew me all the way to Fairbanks who sent me to Portland for spinal surgery.
    And here's a recent article about the attacks. This explains how other runners saw many bears along the route. It's a bear "hotspot"

IMO- I really believe this is the racing organizers responsibility. They should have done a better job at keeping the runners safe- and providing a better path for the runners (so they wouldn't get lost or off trail)
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...nflict-alaska/

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    Sorry, I love animals, but once a HUMAN is attacked, it can die. I just don't feel this overwhelming sympathy for a human killing animal. Humans over animals any day, and I don't LIKE people much, but I value human life over that of a bear.

Turtles are different. Nobody better kill a turtle! Lions can go though. I hate them.

I watch way too many Discovery Channel animal shows. Seriously, once a bear gets a taste of human meat they almost always prey after humans.

Holy shit that story.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Thread Information