Thread: Swimmer paralyzed after someone lands on him

Swimmer paralyzed after someone lands on him

I am not sure this really counts as weird or bizarre.... But it freaks me out. It's not like an accident, where the bright side is that your paralyzed, and not DEAD. There  is no bright side... One minute your having fun... The next, some idiot lands on your head.

OREGON CITY, Ore. -- A swimmer was paralyzed Wednesday evening after someone jumped on him in the Clackamas River at High Rocks Park.

In the water, 44-year old Rick Walmer was struggling to stay afloat. A jumper had landed on his neck. From the shore, Rick's girlfriend Samantha knew it was serious.

"There must have been a couple hundred, it seemed like ... there were so many people on the other side, up on the rock," recalls Samantha Gould.

It was a classic High Rocks evening. The waters of the Clackamas River were packed with swimmers and the rocks above were filled with jumpers. It was perfect. Then it was pure panic.

"He came up like help," explains Gould.

"It looked like he was fighting with the guy because he was trying to push him off of him."

As friends yelled for help, AMR paramedics moved across the water to assist. In the chaos, the jumper who dislocated Rick's neck and damaged his spinal cord got out and left the water.

"All of a sudden he was gone. He just left," remembers Gould.

Walmer's family isn't focused on finding that person, they're concern is greater.

"One careless moment and the rest of my brother's life is changed," says Walmer's sister Jeannie Curtis.

With the hot weather still upon us, the river still packed, they ask not for vengeance but caution.

"The rivers are crowded. There are too many people out there. But people are trying to find relief. You can't tell them to stay home so what you need to tell them is to be safe," says Curtis.

Curtis asks all jumpers to take a second look into the water. Make sure no swimmers are below and the water's clear before you leap.

Rick Walmer may never walk again. The person who landed on him may never come forward. But out of this, his family hopes the message is delivered. Stay safe, watch for others and live to return another day.
    http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_073009_news_high_rocks_paralyze.8f1f34cd.html

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar

Re: Swimmer paralyzed after someone lands on him

and the dude who jumped on him just left?  what an asshole.  :x

one of my friends got jumped on when she was swimming in a pool, it broke 3 of her ribs.  it doesnt seem like that big of a deal, but a broken rib can puncture a lung or another organ.  not good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

What a freaky accident! I wonder if the other guy even realized what had happened? Or do you think it was like a hit-and-run? :-o

[quote author=Nocturnal1 link=topic=21412.msg1349599#msg1349599 date=1249001049]
    What a freaky accident! I wonder if the other guy even realized what had happened? Or do you think it was like a hit-and-run? :-o
    [/quote]
    Damn pool rage  :x

Maybe in such a busy swimming area, people shouldn't be jumping in, unless there's a designated roped off place to jump, seperate from where kids and people who aren't crazy in the water can swim in peace and not worry about this.  There should be a no jumping ordinance. I can't jump into the lakes we go to unless I go to the family cottage and do it. I've never been able to jump off of anything in a public swimming area :(

I bet the guilt is eating away at the guy who did it, he's probably afraid to come forward for fear of retribution. Myself, I wouldn't be jumping into a crowd of swimmers, too dangerous. And I'd stick around to help get the man out of the water before he drowned. He'd probably be punching me the whole way, but I can't live with that sort of thing, and know I didn't do anything to help the guy.

[quote author=neener link=topic=21412.msg1349399#msg1349399 date=1248985485]
    and the dude who jumped on him just left?  what an asshole.  :x

one of my friends got jumped on when she was swimming in a pool, it broke 3 of her ribs.  it doesnt seem like that big of a deal, but a broken rib can puncture a lung or another organ.  not good.
    [/quote]

Broken ribs a muy painful too, I had a ex crack a rib of mine and it hurt to breathe, and of course I dreamt about it stabbing my organs.

I always need pictures:

This is the victim with his son.

I've read that this place they were swimming in is a disgusting meth hellhole.  Crime, dirty, that kind of thing. 

He looks to be in good shape, not your typical meth head, least he's not wearing a flannel shirt like the meth heads next door in the summer, 88degrees and they're wearing flannel, sitting by a fire rollin' that bowl.

If this wasn't designated for swimming, then that's bad. Kid who jumped on him was probably hopped on meth and bailed out of paranoia. Sad all around.

[quote author=Hellbettie link=topic=21412.msg1350134#msg1350134 date=1249058477]
    He looks to be in good shape, not your typical meth head, least he's not wearing a flannel shirt like the meth heads next door in the summer, 88degrees and they're wearing flannel, sitting by a fire rollin' that bowl.

If this wasn't designated for swimming, then that's bad. Kid who jumped on him was probably hopped on meth and bailed out of paranoia. Sad all around.
    [/quote]

Your neighbors sit in hot weather wearing flannel shirts???  Are meth heads always cold or something?

Anyway, here's a comment about this meth watering hole:

[i]It has forced all but the most basic white trash families out of that swimming hole, in favor of the new matrix of out of control animals that don't pay attention to their children to drunken frat-like behavior. EVERY YEAR someone either dies there or is horribly injured, ususally due to some sort of rampant, inbred stupidity

[quote author=deathbecomesme link=topic=21412.msg1350143#msg1350143 date=1249058950]
    Your neighbors sit in hot weather wearing flannel shirts???  Are meth heads always cold or something?

Anyway, here's a comment about this meth watering hole:

[i]It has forced all but the most basic white trash families out of that swimming hole, in favor of the new matrix of out of control animals that don't pay attention to their children to drunken frat-like behavior. EVERY YEAR someone either dies there or is horribly injured, ususally due to some sort of rampant, inbred stupidity
    [/quote]

Well, ex neighbors now, thank God, funny enough it's a drug counseling center now. But yeah, they'd wear coats and flannels and still hug themselves. I'm not sure if it make you cold, or that they weren't eating or sleeping that was effecting their body temps. I couldn't help but laugh at the site, cos I jumped in the pool cos I was that damn hot, pop my head out and hear "Braaaaad?!" and its them asking for my husband  :lol:  They have some ears on them, senses increased, PCP would know well. I see a full bonfire, and guys dressed like it's late fall and just bust out laughing.  :lol:  Summertime, they were doing it rong.

[quote author=Hellbettie link=topic=21412.msg1350152#msg1350152 date=1249059259]
    Well, ex neighbors now, thank God, funny enough it's a drug counseling center now. But yeah, they'd wear coats and flannels and still hug themselves. I'm not sure if it make you cold, or that they weren't eating or sleeping that was effecting their body temps. I couldn't help but laugh at the site, cos I jumped in the pool cos I was that damn hot, pop my head out and hear "Braaaaad?!" and its them asking for my husband  :lol:  They have some ears on them, senses increased, PCP would know well. I see a full bonfire, and guys dressed like it's late fall and just bust out laughing.  :lol:  Summertime, they were doing it rong.
    [/quote]

Okay, first, it's a drug counseling center now?? 

Anyway, that's some interesting stories you have from your neighbors.  :lol:Almost makes me wish I could live next to meth heads.  (Okay, not really).

Thread Information