Thread: Dentist Loses Tools In Elderly Man.

Dentist Loses Tools In Elderly Man.

WINTER PARK, Fla. (July 20) -- A Florida dentist is being sued for allegedly dropping tools down the throat of an elderly patient — twice.
    Relatives of 90-year-old Charles Gaal Jr. recently filed the suit in circuit court accusing Dr. Wesley Meyers of negligence. An answering message at Meyers' office in Winter Park said Saturday that he was on vacation. He did not reply to a message from The Associated Press seeking comment.
    The lawsuit says the doctor dropped an "implant screwdriver tool" in 2006 and a "mini-wrench" in 2007.
    The suit also says Gaal underwent several medical procedures to remove the tools but never fully recovered. He died in 2007.
    Meyers was fined $17,000 by the state a year later. The dentist was found negligent in a settlement.

http://news.aol.com/article/tool-dropping-dentist-wesley-meyers/577603
    An elderly patient -- a 90-year-old man who died after the second incident -- is being sued for negligence.

Relatives of Charles K. Gaal Jr. recently filed the suit in Orange County Circuit Court against Dr. Wesley Meyers of Aloma Park Dental.

They accuse Meyers of failing to take precautions to guard against dropping and losing his dental tools down Gaal's throat and failing to handle his tools properly during the second incident, which they say occurred May 1, 2007.

On Oct. 4, 2006, while he was performing work on Gaal, Meyers dropped an "implant screwdriver tool" down the patient's throat, the suit said.

Gaal swallowed the tool and two days later, he underwent a colonoscopy. The tool was removed from his intestines, the suit said.

On May 1, 2007, Gaal visited Meyers because he had a sore mouth. The suit says Meyers wanted to remove a "ball" attachment on an implant.

It was during that procedure that Meyers allegedly dropped a "mini-wrench" into Gaal's throat, which the patient swallowed. Also, Meyers lost a "ball attachment," which he presumed Gaal also swallowed, the lawsuit said.

Gaal underwent multiple medical procedures. The tool was spotted in his lung.

His chest cavity was cracked open, part of his left lung was removed and the tool was found. The ball was never recovered.

Gaal never fully recovered and was in "grave medical condition," the lawsuit said. He suffered a "cardiac event" on June 13, 2007, which required resuscitation. On June 19, 2007, he died.

In June 2008, the state fined Meyers $17,000. In a settlement, officials found Meyers negligent for dropping the tools in Gaal's unprotected throat in October 2006 and May 2007.

http://www.mizozo.com/weird/07/2009/19/dentist-sued-for-dropping-tools-down-a-patient-s-t....html
    Oh god, that makes me cringe.
    That is always my worst fear when I'm at the dentist.
    Scumbag, stop stalking me through the interwebs.

Re: Dentist Loses Tools In Elderly Man.

Why did the dude go back a second time? There's gotta be other dentists around..

Re: Dentist Loses Tools In Elderly Man.

[quote author=Trahnse link=topic=21244.msg1341914#msg1341914 date=1248311522]
    Why did the dude go back a second time? There's gotta be other dentists around..
    [/quote]

I wondered why too.  :|
    Scumbag, stop stalking me through the interwebs.

Thread Information