Thread: Tom Pfaeffle(49) shot dead after putting Motel room key into the wrong door

Tom Pfaeffle(49) shot dead after putting Motel room key into the wrong door

TWISP, Wash. -- A noted sound engineer and concert audio mixer has been shot to death outside a motel room in Twisp, Wash.

Police Chief Rick Balam tells KING Television in Seattle that 49-year-old Tom Pfaeffle apparently put his room key into the wrong door Friday night at the Blue Spruce Motel. Pfaeffle was shot through the closed door and died two hours later at a hospital. Balam says a second shot went through a wall and nearly hit someone else.

A man has been jailed for investigation of second-degree murder and assault.

Pfaeffle was staying at the motel with his wife. According to his biography at The Tank Studio in Black Diamond, near Seattle, he worked as a sound engineer with Nirvana, the Black Crowes, Queensryche, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper and B.B. King.
    http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_071909_news_sound_engineer.58a709ec.html

Not to make light of the mans death... But i am not sure which I like saying more... The last name Pfaeffle, Or the town name Twisp.

RIP Mr. Pfaeffle

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

Re: Tom Pfaeffle(49) shot dead after putting Motel room key into the wrong door

I hope they lock that maniac shooter away for the rest of his crazy life. What a fuckin mad man.
    Thank the gods that no one else was killed by his insanity. Holy shit!! :-o
    Another bullet went off god knows where!?

RIP Mr. Pfaeffle

Sorry that a crazy person ended your life over nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Shit, I can't count the number of times I've done this.  :2huh:

[quote author=holly link=topic=21166.msg1338984#msg1338984 date=1248051631]
    Shit, I can't count the number of times I've done this.  :2huh:
    [/quote]

Shot people for coming to your room by accident?

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=21166.msg1338986#msg1338986 date=1248051771]
    [/quote]

Shit! I'd hope not....lol!
    It's all fun and games till someone ends up pregnant!

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=21166.msg1338986#msg1338986 date=1248051771]
    [/quote]

Yup.

Shot thru a closed door?  Dude must have been a pussy or on some paranoia inducing drugs.   Don't all hotels have that extra safety thing you can do from the inside only?  

Hubby and I checked into a hotel once and they gave us the key.  We went to the room, slid the card key, the green light flashed, we walked in and there was a guy sleeping in the bed.  He never noticed  :roll:

The next room they gave us had cigarette ashes on the nightstands and a skid mark in the toilet bowl - not a stain skid mark if you get my drift    The third room they gave us had pubic hairs on the sheets and interweaved throughout the blanket.  FML

RIP Unfortunate Key Man  
    Quote Originally Posted by angelaiscaustic View Post
    I mean I spent most V days drunk, but that's because I'm a lush, not bc I was bitter haha

This is crazy.  Just yesterday I was telling my hubby about this time I came home and found some strange older drunk man in my apartment watching TV.  He was all the way inside and it didn't even occur to me to resort to violence.  I wonder what the guy with the gun had to hide.

RIP Mr. Pfaeffle

[quote author=DeaB4 link=topic=21166.msg1338993#msg1338993 date=1248053616]
    This is crazy.  Just yesterday I was telling my hubby about this time I came home and found some strange older drunk man in my apartment watching TV.  He was all the way inside and it didn't even occur to me to resort to violence.  I wonder what the guy with the gun had to hide.

RIP Mr. Pfaeffle
    [/quote]

What happened? Did he just leave or did you have to call the cops?
    It's all fun and games till someone ends up pregnant!

[quote author=DeaB4 link=topic=21166.msg1338993#msg1338993 date=1248053616]
    This is crazy.  Just yesterday I was telling my hubby about this time I came home and found some strange older drunk man in my apartment watching TV. He was all the way inside and it didn't even occur to me to resort to violence. I wonder what the guy with the gun had to hide.

RIP Mr. Pfaeffle
    [/quote]

Well if you don't feel threatened then that's a normal person's reaction.

[quote author=TinkerBelly link=topic=21166.msg1338992#msg1338992 date=1248053477]
    Shot thru a closed door?  Dude must have been a pussy or on some paranoia inducing drugs.   Don't all hotels have that extra safety thing you can do from the inside only?  

Hubby and I checked into a hotel once and they gave us the key.  We went to the room, slid the card key, the green light flashed, we walked in and there was a guy sleeping in the bed.  He never noticed  :roll:

The next room they gave us had cigarette ashes on the nightstands and a skid mark in the toilet bowl - not a stain skid mark if you get my drift    The third room they gave us had pubic hairs on the sheets and interweaved throughout the blanket.  FML

RIP Unfortunate Key Man  
    [/quote]

After that, I think I would stay away from that hotel for LIFE. 3rd time they screw up, and they no longer exist in my world. :lol:

[quote author=boogieman link=topic=21166.msg1339003#msg1339003 date=1248054407]
      After that, I think I would stay away from that hotel for LIFE. 3rd time they screw up, and they no longer exist in my world. :lol:

[/quote]

We left.  They offered us a free drink in the lounge for our troubles.  :roll: 
    Quote Originally Posted by angelaiscaustic View Post
    I mean I spent most V days drunk, but that's because I'm a lush, not bc I was bitter haha

Poor dude. If only he looked at the number on the door.

Of course he had to be someone that sounded cool and decent.

RIP Tom.

[quote author=mattsmillion link=topic=21166.msg1338995#msg1338995 date=1248053813]
    What happened? Did he just leave or did you have to call the cops?
    [/quote]

He left after I convinced him he was in the wrong apartment.  He lived in my building and I guess the landlord had cheaped out by making some of the locks the same, so really drunk + key works + same floorplan = "I think this is my place".

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=21166.msg1338998#msg1338998 date=1248054185]
    Well if you don't feel threatened then that's a normal person's reaction.
    [/quote]

Totally, that's why I want to know the deal with the gunman.

[quote author=deathbecomesme link=topic=21166.msg1339027#msg1339027 date=1248056937]
    Of course he had to be someone that sounded cool and decent.

RIP Tom.

[/quote]

Uh, what is he doing in the background of this picture? Heating a turkey with a blow dryer? :lol:

[quote author=AlexaC link=topic=21166.msg1339214#msg1339214 date=1248074063]
    Uh, what is he doing in the background of this picture? Heating a turkey with a blow dryer? :lol:
    [/quote]

Probably defrosting it. 

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/PrintStory.pl?document_id=2009501190&zsection_ id=2002119633&slug=twisp20m&date=20090720

Monday, July 20, 2009 - Page updated at 12:00 AM

Permission to reprint or copy this article or photo, other than personal use, must be obtained from The Seattle Times. Call 206-464-3113 or e-mail resale@seattletimes.com with your request.

Seattle sound engineer fatally shot as he tried to enter wrong motel room
    By Nick Perry

Seattle Times staff reporter

More details emerged Sunday in the bizarre shooting death of renowned local sound engineer Tom Pfaeffle.

Pfaeffle, 49, who had worked with music groups that include Nirvana, The Black Crowes and Heart, owned and operated The Tank, a recording studio adjacent to his home in the woods of Black Diamond. He also worked as an instructor at the Art Institute of Seattle, teaching audio production.

He is survived by a wife and four children.

Pfaeffle was killed Friday at the Blue Spruce Motel in Twisp. Twisp Police Chief Rick Balam said Pfaeffle and his wife were in town to attend a birthday party when it appeared the couple inadvertently returned to the wrong room at about 10:40 p.m.

Pfaeffle apparently was trying to put his key into Unit 7 when a man inside shot at him, the chief said.

Pfaeffle and his wife managed to retreat and take cover behind a car in the parking lot, Balam said. Emergency crews later took Pfaeffle to the Mid-Valley Hospital in Omak, where he died about two hours after the shooting.

Balam said the shooter also fired a bullet that nearly hit a man in adjacent Unit 6. That bullet tore through the wall and a mirror.

A man in his late 70s was lying on his bed at the time, reading a newspaper with the television on, the police chief said. He was injured from falling debris, suffering a black eye.

When Balam arrived, he was able to speak to the suspect, a 57-year-old Seattle man, by phoning him from the manager's office. Balam said he was quickly able to persuade the man to leave his unit and surrender.

The man is to be arraigned today on charges of second-degree murder and assault.

Balam said the man could not reasonably argue he was defending himself against potential intruders: "He had a total disregard for human safety," Balam said. "It's just crazy."

Family friend and Art Institute colleague Jim Rivers said Pfaeffle's wife told him it took nearly two hours for an ambulance to arrive at the remote town and get Pfaeffle to Omak. Rivers said Pfaeffle was conscious and talking the whole time.

Rivers said his understanding is that one bullet struck Pfaeffle in the arm, the other in his kidney and liver. Omak hospital staff were preparing to airlift Pfaeffle to Spokane or Seattle when he died, Rivers said, apparently due to the amount of blood he'd lost.

"He was one of the most honest, caring guys I know," Rivers said. "He was a great dad. You just can't believe that this happened to him."

Steve Barsotti, the academic director of the Art Institute's audio program, said Pfaeffle was an intense, driven man who essentially worked two full-time jobs.

"He had the utmost respect from all of his students," Barsotti said. "He earned his respect day to day, in the way he treated his students, his complete control over the content of the program and his professionalism."

Barsotti said Pfaeffle also was a great cook who loved to make sushi. He would sometimes unwind by playing guitar.

"He never sat still," Barsotti said. "He never stopped learning."

Nick Perry: 206-515-5639 or nperry@seattletimes.com

Copyright © 2009 The Seattle Times Company

beli : Cunt fingers. Just like butterfingers, only cuntier.

Thread Information