Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jamie Neale (19) from London is missing in the Blue Mountains, near Sydney

Jamie Neale (19) from London is missing in the Blue Mountains, near Sydney

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article6655948.ece

British backpacker Jamie Neale missing in Sydney mountains
    (NSW Police)
    Jamie Neale was last seen on Friday of last week
    Sophie Tedmanson in Sydney
    A British backpacker has gone missing in the Blue Mountains, near Sydney, while on a winter break in Australia.

Jamie Neale, 19, from London, has not been seen since leaving his youth hostel in Katoomba on Friday morning. He had checked into the Blue Mountains hostel on Thursday for a two-night stay in the mountains, about 70 miles (100km) west of Sydney.

Janet McGarry, a spokeswoman for the hostel, said Mr Neale appeared to be in good spirits and had booked and paid for a tour of the nearby Jenolan caves for Saturday morning. He never turned up.

She added that staff had seen him leaving the hostel on Friday of last week.

After discovering his belongings still in his room on Saturday, the hostel reported the Briton missing to local police, who began to search for the teenager. Today police released an alert on behalf of Mr Neale’s family appealing for help in finding him.

A spokesman for New South Wales Police said that most of Mr Neale’s belongings, including his mobile phone and personal papers, were left at the hostel and there were indications on his phone that he had been preparing to take a bushwalk.

The Blue Mountains, a world heritage listed region of sandstone plateaus, gorges, waterfalls and bush, are among the most popular tourist destinations in the state.

There are hundreds of bushwalks through national park areas which are accessible by road and/or foot from Katoomba. However, the terrain can be dangerous for people without proper knowledge of the area as much of it is covered by enormous cliffs and dense bushland in the valleys below.

Mr Neale, who was travelling on his own, was last seen wearing a fleece jumper, T-shirt, blue jeans and black joggers and was carrying a burgundy day-pack.

Police said they are concerned for Mr Neale’s welfare, especially as he has now been missing for almost five days in the peak of Australia’s winter. Temperatures in Katoomba over the weekend reached a 10C average, but dropped to near freezing overnight.

A spokeswoman for the British Consulate-General said that it had been in contact with Mr Neale’s family in England and was providing consular support.

It is not known how long Mr Neale had been in Australia, but he was recently photographed at Wildlife World in Darling Harbour, Sydney.

Olivia

Re: Jamie Neale (19) from London is missing in the Blue Mountains, near Sydney

Police have received fresh information about the whereabouts of Jamie Neale, but admit finding the British backpacker in the Blue Mountains is "like searching for a needle in a haystack".

After six days of intensive searches since the 19-year-old went missing on July 4, police now say they hold grave concerns for his wellbeing.

Mr Neale left his Katoomba youth hostel about 9.40am on July 3 and police believe he had planned a bushwalk near Ruined Castle, a rock formation in the Jamison Valley.

There had been no further sighting of Mr Neale, but police yesterday were told Mr Neale was spotted about midday the next day on top of Ruined Castle "in good spirits and good health".

It's believed Mr Neale then intended to walk east towards Mt Solitary.

Police have searched nearby bushland in the past week, but have found no trace of Mr Neale, who was wearing a light blue shirt with a white T-shirt underneath it, blue jeans, light coloured joggers and carrying a small day-pack.

After six days of searches, hopes were fading, said North West Metropolitan Region Commander Denis Clifford.

"Police have not lost hope of finding this young man alive but as every day passes it does become less likely that we will do so," Assistant Commissioner Clifford said.

"The search will continue over the next few days but we do hold grave concerns for his welfare.

"The fact police have no leads on Jamie's intended route has frustrated the search effort. It really is like searching for a needle in a haystack."

The search in the next few days will involve police, the National Parks and Wildlife Service, Rural Fire Service, State Emergency Service and the Volunteer Rescue Association.

Mr Neale's father, Richard Cass, has travelled to the Blue Mountains from England and has faith in his son's survival skills.

"He's very tolerant of cold and if anybody can survive this, he will," he said late last week.

Jamie Neale is described as being of white/European appearance and having a pale complexion, short dark hair, brown eyes and a beard.

Anyone who might have seen him near Ruined Castle or Mt Solitary on Saturday 4 July or Sunday 5 July can contact Blue Mountains Police via Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/finding-jamie-like-searching-for-a-needle-in-a-haystack-20090713-dhns.html

I feel bad for his dad.  It is the middle of winter here and it gets below freezing every night in the Blue Mountains.  If he is alive and out there, it would be the biggest miracle ever.  I wonder if he just took off and the new information is a sighting?  I dont know what else it could be

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar

wtf was he thinking, going out there on his own like that?   jeez.  :2sad:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

Olivia

Here are some pics of the Blue Mountains so you can see what they are up against finding him

Olivia

POLICE have confirmed a more recent sighting of an English tourist missing for over a week in NSW's Blue Mountains.
    But they still hold grave concerns for him.

Search and rescue crews have been scouring bushland for Jamie Neale, 19, who is thought to have gone missing while bushwalking near Katoomba on July 3.

Investigators initially said Mr Neale was last seen leaving his Katoomba youth hostel on the morning of Friday, July 3, intending to walk the popular Ruined Castle track.

"Yesterday, police received new information that Jamie was last sighted about midday on Friday, July 3," police said.

"He was seen on top of Ruined Castle in good spirits and good health. Jamie then intended on walking east, towards Mt Solitary.''

Mr Neale left many of his personal belongings including a mobile phone in his room at the youth hostel.

He also had booked and paid for a cave tour on the Saturday, but failed to show up.

"Police have not lost hope of finding this young man alive but as every day passes it does become less likely that we will do so,'' Assistant Commissioner Denis Clifford said.

The fact police have no leads on Jamie's intended route has frustrated the search effort.

"It really is like searching for a needle in a haystack.''

Mr Neale's father Richard Cass and an uncle have flown from the UK to join in the search, which has covered rugged terrain and included the use of aircraft.

So far one searcher has suffered a broken arm after a fall, while a second was winched out of bushland suffering dehydration.

Mr Neale arrived in Australia on June 22 for a holiday and planned to return to the UK to continue studying.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25772355-29277,00.html

I looked the area up on the map when i first read the story and just couldn't believe the sheer size of the range, saw Mt Solitary and thought that sounded glum, and now i wonder why he was heading out that way, on his own.

I hope they find him soon but it sounds less and less likely that it will be alive.

Olivia

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOOW.  I eat my words

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,28318,25785449-5014090,00.html

MISSING British backpacker Jamie Neale has been found alive and well in the Blue Mountains of New South Wales after being missing for 11 days.

The 19-year-old was reportedly found walking out of bushland near Narrow Neck plateau, about 15km from Katoomba.

Island: Man survives 300 days

"It's a great result, we're all very relieved," a police spokesman said.

"About 11.30am today, two bushwalkers alerted emergency services to advise they had come across a man who identified himself as Jamie Neale near the Narrow Neck fire trail, near Katoomba," a police report said.

The report said Police Rescue officers, using a Rural Fire Service vehicle, made their way to the location and confirmed the identity of the man.

Police said Mr Neale has been taken to Katoomba Hospital for treatment of dehydration and exposure.

Mr Neale’s father, Richard Cass – who had been preparing to leave Sydney on a flight this afternoon - has been flown by Polair from Sydney Airport to the hospital, where he will be reunited with his son.

Mr Neale checked into a Katoomba youth hostel on July 2.

Police were alerted to his disappearance after Mr Neale failed to turn up for a tour of Jenolan Caves on July 4, which he had paid for.

His personal belongings, including his mobile phone and personal papers, were found at the hostel.

Police were given no more leads until Sunday, when a couple came forward with information that they had stopped to take photos of Mr Neale on a remote Blue Mountains outcrop on July 3 before he disappeared along a track.

The couple described Mr Neale as being "in good spirits and good health" during their 10-minute conversation at the outcrop known as the Ruined Castle before he left, saying he was going to Mt Solitary.

The breakthrough led to 15 searchers being winched yesterday into remote areas on Mt Solitary and along watercourses in neighbouring Jamison Valley, with plans to examine Cedar Creek.

Mr Neale's father, Richard Cass, and an uncle flew from the UK to join in the search.

On Monday, police said the chances of finding him alive were slim.

Jamie's father had always maintained his son had a good chance of surviving, saying he was "an experienced hiker" and a "hard-working boy who had never been in trouble".

Olivia

- looks pretty good!!!

Backpacker Jamie Neale has been found alive in the NSW Blue Mountains after being missing for 12 days.

"About 11.30am today, two bushwalkers alerted emergency services to advise they had come across a man who identified himself as Jamie Neale near the Narrow Neck fire trail, near Katoomba," NSW Police said in a statement.

"Police Rescue officers, using a Rural Fire Service vehicle, made their way to the location and confirmed the identity of the man.

"He's been taken to Katoomba Hospital for treatment of dehydration and exposure."

One of the bushwalkers had some medical experience and treated Mr Neale before he was taken to hospital, 2GB Radio reported.

Mr Neale told a police officer at the hospital that he had been worried the searchers had given up looking for him, 2GB said.

A 2GB reporter said that, at the hospital, Mr Neale looked very haggard and had answered questions "mumbling". "[He's] walking, talking and now in hospital care," he said.

"He was a bit shocked that there were TV cameras there. [But] he ... didn't look like he was about to fall over."

Mr Neale's father, Richard Cass, had apparently given up hope of his son being found. He was at Sydney Airport and about to fly home to Britain this afternoon, a police spokesman said.

"My understanding is he's now being flown [by helicopter] from the airport to the Blue Mountains ... he was at the airport to fly out of the country," he said.

YHA relieved

A spokeswoman at YHA NSW, the organisation that runs the Katoomba hostel where Mr Neale was staying, said they were extremely relieved that the backpacker had been found.

"YHA is thrilled and delighted for the family and for Jamie," she said.

As he was travelling alone, few of the guests at the hostel had met Mr Neale but were distressed to hear he had gone missing.

"It's been a difficult time. Everyone's been worried for him and we've been assisting the police and crossing our fingers like everyone else."

Mr Neale, 19, from North London, had been missing since July 3, and was last seen above Ruined Castle, a rock formation in the Jamison Valley, about midday, police said.

A massive search had been mounted for Mr Neale, who had left many of his possessions, including a mobile phone, at the youth hostel in Katoomba where he had been staying.

He was seen leaving the hostel, intending to walk the popular track to the Ruined Castle rock formation and was last sighted hours later on top of it.

He told a married couple he met there that he intended to keep walking to Mount Solitary, a return trip of about 10 hours.

Like searching for a needle in a haystack: police

Police had expressed frustration Mr Neale did not register his plans with police or the National Parks and Wildlife Service before setting out on July 3.

Police also urged bushwalkers to use personal locator beacons that are available free of charge from Springwood and Katoomba police stations and the National Parks and Wildlife Service.

Police had said finding Mr Neale was "like searching for a needle in a haystack".

On Monday, they said the chances of finding him alive were slim.

Father travelled from England to help in search

Mr Neale's father had faith in his son's survival skills.

"He's very tolerant of cold and, if anybody can survive this, he will," he said late last week.

Mr Neale's brother Alan, 29, had said the family were deeply concerned for the teenager's safety.

"My stepdad has gone out there to see what he can find out," he told The London Paper.

"My mum has stayed at home. We are very worried about what has happened to Jamie, but we are still hopeful that he will turn up safe.

"It's hard when things are happening on the other side of the world."

Mr Neale, who arrived in Australia on June 22 for a holiday, is described by his family as an experienced hiker.

His family have been all over the tv here this morning giving interviews.  I can't believe they found him alive.  His dad had flown out there and says that he was about to come home after having a little goodbye ceremony for his son when he heard he'd been found.

I can't imagine spending 12 days lost in the middle of nowhere.  His mum says he survived eating seeds and berries and sleeping under a log.

Indooroopilly, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Oh wow, that's amazing. It's all over the news here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap-n Meow
    TPT is more caramel. She's sweet and so smooth she'll slide a finger in your butthole.

Olivia

There are a few things I find weird about this whole thing - maybe its just me?

1 - Where is his mother in all this?  Even if she is camera shy, surely she would have been active in the search?
    2 - His father was leaving to fly home to England, even though the authorities here were still searching for him, which they wouldnt have done if they didnt think there was a chance he would be alive.  Who does that? 
    3 - The father said he 'buried a rose for England' and had a good bye ceremony.  It just seems a bit contrived
    4 - It's come out today that this guy now has an agent and the agent is asking $1M for his survival story
    5 - I am very doubtful that someone who had truly been living in the bush on berries and bugs for 12 days could be in such good condition?

What does everyone else think?

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=20852.msg1335252#msg1335252 date=1247699051]

1 - Where is his mother in all this?  Even if she is camera shy, surely she would have been active in the search?
    2 - His father was leaving to fly home to England, even though the authorities here were still searching for him, which they wouldnt have done if they didnt think there was a chance he would be alive.  Who does that? 
    3 - The father said he 'buried a rose for England' and had a good bye ceremony.  It just seems a bit contrived
    4 - It's come out today that this guy now has an agent and the agent is asking $1M for his survival story
    5 - I am very doubtful that someone who had truly been living in the bush on berries and bugs for 12 days could be in such good condition?

[/quote]

I think you have some extremely valid points!

The story seems too good to be true. 

Edited to Add:  If people find out the whole thing was a set up, could  you imagine the bill they would have to pay for all the searching??  Holy Hell!  People were risking their lives to find him... it's messed up if that is the case.

i couldnt believe they found this dude.  :-o

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand then i read olivia's questions... :| 

now i don't believe his story.  dammit olivia

i cant grasp the fact that his father was going back to england.  wtf?  look at the parents of anyone else who has gone missing.  natalee holloways mom friggin moved to bermuda,  Madeleine mccann's parents stayed in portugal...

had a goodbye ceremony?  :roll:

has a fucking agent already?

and yeah, he looked wayyyyyyyyy too healthy for being lost in the bush for almost 2 weeks.  unless he weighed 100lbs more than he did when he was found and wasted away to what he looks like now...
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop

Olivia

[quote author=neenerneener link=topic=20852.msg1335423#msg1335423 date=1247708143]
    i couldnt believe they found this dude.  :-o

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand then i read olivia's questions... :| 

now i don't believe his story.  dammit olivia

i cant grasp the fact that his father was going back to england.  wtf?  look at the parents of anyone else who has gone missing.  natalee holloways mom friggin moved to bermuda,  Madeleine mccann's parents stayed in portugal...

had a goodbye ceremony?  :roll:

has a fucking agent already?

and yeah, he looked wayyyyyyyyy too healthy for being lost in the bush for almost 2 weeks.  unless he weighed 100lbs more than he did when he was found and wasted away to what he looks like now...
    [/quote]

- this is him ARRIVING at the hospital. 

His dad has not been here for the whole 12 days he was missing either.  I understand it would take awhile for anyone to actually realise he was missing but surely you would hang around longer then 4-5 days if your kid was missing

Also, the Blue Mountains council gives out trackers for FREE to people going bushwalking.  Im sure they advertise this at the hostel where he was staying. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrWRHCSVaRY

I would love to know what the hospital has to say about his condition.  If it were me and my son had been missing for 12 days, there is no way Id let 500345 photogs into his hospital room hours after he was found.

I

no way dude.  there's something fishy about all this.  i dont care how much you know about the wilderness, if you're in the woods for 2 weeks without any real food, you're going to drop some serious weight.  if i dont eat for a day, i drop 3 pounds :-o

The kid looks dazed to me.  You can tell he is a little "out of it."

I can't get over how media friendly the Dad is.  He isn't shy in the least, that is for sure.  It's almost like he couldn't wait to get in front of those cameras and news reporters.  I agree that I wouldn't want cameras in the hospital room with my son like that...

I am leaning towards this being faked... but I really don't know.  Are the reports of his getting an agent confirmed by other news sources or is it just a rumor of sorts?  Also, has the kid been interviewed on how EXACTLY he survived that long in the bush without help or assistance?  People who live and work in the area will know immediately if his story sounds fishy. 

There is no doubt that if we are having doubts here there are doubts raised everywhere.

We will know soon if this is a fake.  I really believe that.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

He looks like shit to me. :lol:
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=20852.msg1335506#msg1335506 date=1247712733]
    He looks like shit to me. :lol:
    [/quote]

thats just because you're perfectly groomed and handsome all the time. 

Olivia

THE British backpacker who spent 12 days lost in the Blue Mountains is reportedly angry at rumours the ordeal was a hoax to make money.

Jamie Neale's father Richard Cass said his son didn't want anyone saying "he was a fake", reports The Daily Telegraph.

Mr Neale, 19, became lost during a day hike on July 3 but emerged from the bush yesterday. He was gaunt and scratched but in relatively good health, suffering from exposure and dehydration.

Following reports he could pocket up to $1 million by selling his story, Mr Cass said Jamie was angry when he told him about the hoax claims.

"He's aware that people are disbelieving," Mr Cass said.

"I know my boy, I know he's been out there for that period of time

"He's been through a God awful experience and for him to then not be believed that will obviously be quite psychologically damaging," he said.

Bald Eagle of Perth Blue Mountains Police Commander, Superintendent Tony McWhirter, said Mr Neale's story appeared to be true.

"It's an incredible story and that's always harder to digest than those that things turn out poorly," Supt McWhirter told the Nine Network.

"There's nothing at this stage to say what he has said is not right, nothing at all."

Supt McWhirter said Mr Neale would be interviewed again once he had been released from hospital.

"There's questions to be asked and those questions are just to clarify where he was and how he went about what he did for that period of time."

He said despite reports that Mr Neale could receive money for his story, he would not be charged for the search.

Meanwhile, Mr Cass has expressed concern about his son's mental state after the ordeal.

"He is still shell shocked. I haven't seen him smile," he said.

"He genuinely is in a pretty fragile state."

I laughed - this is the pic that accompanies the article

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar

Wait, what? Two people stopped and took pictures of him and talked to him and he didn't tell them that he was lost? Am I missing something?
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

Olivia

[quote author=Nancy Drew link=topic=20852.msg1335583#msg1335583 date=1247721802]
    Wait, what? Two people stopped and took pictures of him and talked to him and he didn't tell them that he was lost? Am I missing something?
    [/quote]

I am pretty sure they took pics of him on the day he went missing, so technically he wasnt missing yet?

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=20852.msg1335589#msg1335589 date=1247722669]
    I am pretty sure they took pics of him on the day he went missing, so technically he wasnt missing yet?
    [/quote]Ohh. I are smart. :lol:
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=20852.msg1335252#msg1335252 date=1247699051]

[/quote]

His mother is in the UK.  She was interviewed on tv here yesterday morning after he was found.  She didn't seem particularly happy or bothered considering the interview was only a couple of hours after they'd found him.

His dad was all over the tv this morning defending his son.  The whole thing does sound a little odd.  The hospital said he was dehydrated and suffering from exposure but that was about it. 

They were interviewing survival experts in Australia this morning who was saying it was almost impossible for someone to survive for 12 days in the way that Jamie has described and that they don't believe his story.

[quote author=leapfreak link=topic=20852.msg1335941#msg1335941 date=1247763040]
    His mother is in the UK.  She was interviewed on tv here yesterday morning after he was found.  She didn't seem particularly happy or bothered considering the interview was only a couple of hours after they'd found him.

His dad was all over the tv this morning defending his son.  The whole thing does sound a little odd.  The hospital said he was dehydrated and suffering from exposure but that was about it. 

They were interviewing survival experts in Australia this morning who was saying it was almost impossible for someone to survive for 12 days in the way that Jamie has described and that they don't believe his story.
    [/quote]

That is the information I was waiting for.

If the men and women who know about surviving out there don't believe the story, it speaks volumes.

I am officially waving my "fraud" flag.

[quote author=winters_footsteps link=topic=20852.msg1336002#msg1336002 date=1247767177]
    That is the information I was waiting for.

If the men and women who know about surviving out there don't believe the story, it speaks volumes.

I am officially waving my "fraud" flag.
    [/quote]

I've been trying to find an article that backs up what I said about the survival experts but I can't find one anywhere.  I've checked the website for the breakfast show I saw it on but they don't appear to put any useful stuff on their website.

Apparently the police are backing his story but want to interview him again.

Thread Information