Thread: Pet Python Strangles Toddler in Her Bed

Pet Python Strangles Toddler in Her Bed

By KI MAE HEUSSNER
    July 1, 2009
    Lt. Bobby Caruthers of the Sumter County Sheriff's Office said the toddler lived in the central Florida town of Oxford.
    A 12-foot Burmese python escaped from its aquarium and strangled a 2-year-old Florida girl in her bed today, officials said.

The python belonged to the mother's boyfriend, who did not have a state license to possess the snake, a spokeswoman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission told ABCNews.com.

"Basically, the snake was put away last night in an aquarium in a bag," Caruthers said. "[He] woke up this morning and discovered the snake was missing, ran into the infant's bedroom and saw the snake on top of the child."

Caruthers said the owner stabbed the snake to remove it from the child. Emergency officials were notified with a 911 call at 9:53 a.m. but the child was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after they arrived around 10 a.m.

After it was stabbed, the snake slithered away and was last seen under the dresser in the infant's bedroom, Caruthers said.
    . . .
    Full article: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Sto...476&page=1
    -----

Eek!

Re: Pet Python Strangles Toddler in Her Bed

i just heard the 911 call on the news and i think i heard the guy say something along the lines of the stupid snake got out, the baby is dead. i'm not a reptile person at all so maybe i'm biased in my thinking that small children + python + same home = bad idea. and the snake, s/he wasn't stupid. not stupid at all. rip baby girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post

Also, I just noticed my girlbox is full.

Err -- yep darwin family!!!!!!!!!!!!  I handle snakes - own a ball python. She is docile but WILD.. AGAIn wild!  This is a sad but a death that could have SHOULD HAVE been prevented.

[quote author=holly link=topic=20754.msg1320828#msg1320828 date=1246513329]

After it was stabbed, the snake slithered away and was last seen under the dresser in the infant's bedroom, Caruthers said.
    . . .

-----

Eek!
    [/quote]

Thats the last we know of it? Where else could it be? It didnt steal the family car

Thats an awful story RIP baby girl

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/19914383/detail.html

OXFORD, Fla. -- A man woke up Wednesday morning and found his girlfriend's 2-year-old daughter being strangled by his 8.5-foot pet albino Burmese python, according to Sumter County sheriff's officials.

VIDEO: Toddler Strangled | Pet Python Laws
    911 AUDIO: Call 1 | Call 2
    PHOTOS: Girl Strangled | Python Invasion
    RAW VIDEO: Python Caught Last Year
    The fatal incident occurred at about 10 a.m. at a residence in the 1500 block of county Road 466 in Oxford, which is located about 60 miles northwest of Orlando.

Investigators said there were several bite marks on the toddler.

911 calls from the home were released Wednesday afternoon. The caller told the dispatcher that a baby is dead.

"Our stupid snake got out in the middle of the night and strangled the baby," the caller said.

The snake apparently escaped from its cage overnight and strangled Shaunnia Hare, Sumter County sheriff's deputies said.

Charles Darnell, who owns the snake, woke up and found the snake's enclosure empty. He went in the girl's room and found the snake wrapped around the girl's neck. He stabbed the animal and pulled the girl away before calling 911, deputies said.

Emergency workers could not revive the girl. The medical examiner was called to the Sumter County house, and an investigation into the death is ongoing.

Darnell told deputies this was not the first time the python escaped from its terrarium. He said it had happened as recently as earlier Wednesday morning.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission removed the snake from the home Wednesday evening.

A 6-foot boa constrictor is also inside the house, but it did not escape from the terrarium.

Shaunnia's mother, Jaren Hare, was also inside the home at the time of the incident, deputies said.

Detectives are questioning Hare and Darnell at the sheriff's office.

Darnell did not have a permit to keep the snake as a pet. According to snake expert Scott Hardin of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Burmese python owners must have a license to keep the snake as a pet. The license costs $100 a year and mandates specific caging requirements.

"Law enforcement with the assistance of the FWC is going to investigate this case further to see if there is any kind of game violations or any other misconduct," Bobby Caruthers of the Sumter County Sheriff's Office said.

A Department of Children and Families official said the organization believes that two other children were in the home at the time of the incident, but it is unknown if they live there or were just staying temporarily.

Go here for pics: http://www.clickorlando.com/slideshow/news/19915826/detail.html

[quote author=intrigued1csc link=topic=20754.msg1320883#msg1320883 date=1246518152]
    http://www.clickorlando.com/news/19914383/detail.html

OXFORD, Fla. -- A man woke up Wednesday morning and found his girlfriend's 2-year-old daughter being strangled by his 8.5-foot pet albino Burmese python, according to Sumter County sheriff's officials.

Investigators said there were several bite marks on the toddler.

911 calls from the home were released Wednesday afternoon. The caller told the dispatcher that a baby is dead.

"Our stupid snake got out in the middle of the night and strangled the baby," the caller said.

The snake apparently escaped from its cage overnight and strangled Shaunnia Hare, Sumter County sheriff's deputies said.

Charles Darnell, who owns the snake, woke up and found the snake's enclosure empty. He went in the girl's room and found the snake wrapped around the girl's neck. He stabbed the animal and pulled the girl away before calling 911, deputies said.

Emergency workers could not revive the girl. The medical examiner was called to the Sumter County house, and an investigation into the death is ongoing.

[/quote]

Poor girl, how could she defend herself? I hope this guy pays for her death. It wasn't legal for him to have the "stupid snake" in the first place

I was just watching the local news and they played a part of the 911 call. The guy sounds so upset and he didn't call the snake stupid in the parts that they showed. I feel really bad for everyone involved. I tried finding an article on my local news' website but they didn't have one. I was hoping they would have the recording.
    Oh nooooooo your tires all flat and junk.

this isn't weird and bizarre...it's retarded and obvious. Who the FUCK has a 12 foot snake AND a baby. I mean, I question owning a snake of that size period, but I would think it would be time to get rid of it once you bring a baby into the picture. Fucking idiots.
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    I love everyone except Amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowCake1 View Post
    Amy's taste > Tara's

[quote author=Karalicious link=topic=20754.msg1321483#msg1321483 date=1246574034]
    this isn't weird and bizarre...it's retarded and obvious. Who the FUCK has a 12 foot snake AND a baby. I mean, I question owning a snake of that size period, but I would think it would be time to get rid of it once you bring a baby into the picture. Fucking idiots.
    [/quote]

Well I think you can have both. It's not like a dog or a cat. You keep a snake caged. The thing that is ridiculous, is the fact that this wasn't the first time the snake got out of it's cage. They also had a 6ft snake but that one never got out of it's cage.

I haven't listened to the call, but holy fucking cock and balls, my quote would be NOWHERE near as tame as this dude.  "Stupid" snake?  Really, dude?  I'd have carved that fucking reptile into a hundred pieces before I even THOUGHT to call anyone.

[quote author=Peavey link=topic=20754.msg1321553#msg1321553 date=1246579788]
    I haven't listened to the call, but holy fucking cock and balls, my quote would be NOWHERE near as tame as this dude.  "Stupid" snake?  Really, dude?  I'd have carved that fucking reptile into a hundred pieces before I even THOUGHT to call anyone.
    [/quote]

yea, i like your way of thinking. i would have been the same way.  m thinking this is homicide, they let that shit out and crossed their fingers.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/sto...040&page=1

This link has the 911 call. I don't know how to put the video directly on here.

Ugh, why would a mum with a small child let her boyfriend bring such a dangerous animal into her home? Especially an animal that requires a license to keep? It's amazing to me what mums will do to their children to have their boyfriends. I know this family is in pain, but all of this could have been avoided. In everything, my child comes first. There is no way you could ever pay me enough to have anything like that near my child.

Where was the snake kept that it had such access to the baby? This is just horrid.

RIP baby girl. I pray that you didn't suffer.  :-(
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for someone I am not.

Mom, Man Charged In Tot's Python Death
    2-Year-Old Strangled By 8.5-Foot Burmese Python

POSTED: Monday, August 24, 2009
    UPDATED: 6:40 pm EDT August 24, 2009

OXFORD, Fla. -- The mother of a 2-year-old girl who was strangled by a python, along with the mother's boyfriend who owned the snake, were arrested Monday in connection with the girl's death, according to Sumter County sheriff's officials.

Jaren Ashley Hare, 19, and Charles Jason Darnell, 32, were arrested on charges of manslaughter, third-degree murder and child abuse in the death of Shaunnia Hare, who was killed in July at her Oxford home.

Hare turned herself in to police Monday afternoon, and Darnell was already in jail on unrelated drug charges. Both are being held on $35,000 bond.

Last month, Darnell woke up at a residence in the 1500 block of county Road 466 in Oxford, which is located about 60 miles northwest of Orlando, to find Shaunnia being strangled by his 8.5-foot pet albino Burmese python, according to Sumter County sheriff's officials.

Investigators said there were several bite marks on the toddler. A medical examiner determined that she died from asphyxiation.

"Our stupid snake got out in the middle of the night and strangled the baby," Darnell said in a 911 call.

Emergency workers could not revive the girl.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission removed the snake from the home. A 6-foot boa constrictor was also inside the house, but it did not escape its terrarium.

Darnell did not have a permit to keep the snake as a pet, deputies said. According to snake expert Scott Hardin of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Burmese python owners must have a license to keep the snake as a pet. The license costs $100 a year and mandates specific caging requirements.

"Law enforcement with the assistance of the FWC is going to investigate this case further to see if there is any kind of game violations or any other misconduct," Bobby Caruthers of the Sumter County Sheriff's Office said.

Hardin said the Burmese python is a popular pet because it is considered to be more docile than other snakes. He said the risk of a human attack is low, and attacks typically involve the snake's owner or immediate family.

The Humane Society of the United States said including Wednesday's death, at least 12 people have been killed in the United States by pet pythons since 1980, including five children.

Matt Harrison, a Critter Control employee who has worked with pythons for more than eight years, said the animals are extremely strong.

"A 12-foot snake is kind of like having a truck sitting on your chest. They have enough power not only to asphyxiate you, but to break bones as well," said Harrison, who added that stabbing a python would not force the animal to release its prey.

Harrison suggested throwing alcohol down the snake's throat or running hot water over it to get it to release its prey.

Harrison urged owners to be careful with pet pythons.

"Most (of) the time, as long as you're careful, you don't have anything to worry about, but occasionally, they can turn on their owners," Harrison said.

Harrison said attacks tend to be a feeding response, but he said it is important to keep cages secure and safe, especially when there are children in the house.

Harrison speculated that there are probably more pythons in Florida than anywhere else in the United States.

According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, pythons are a nonnative species to Florida, although some Burmese pythons have been found in parts of Florida.

An invasion of giant Burmese pythons in South Florida that made national headlines last year was "rapidly expanding" and expected to reach Central Florida, according to a University of Florida study.

"There's no part of this state that you can point at and say that pythons couldn't live here," researcher Frank Mazzotti said. "They're capable of incredible movement -- and in a relatively short period."

Most of the pythons were brought over as pets and then turned loose in the wild, he said.

Anyone who comes across a python is urged to call wildlife officials at 888-404-FWCC. For more information about pythons, visit the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/20536347/detail.html
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

good.
    i couldnt imagine it not being at least manslaughter.  i bet you they thought that they were getting away with the perfect crime.  no one loses a child to a snake and underreacts the way he did.  "stupid snake"... "its under the dresser somewhere"...

[quote author=ZoMyGoddess! link=topic=20754.msg1370092#msg1370092 date=1251165109]
    good.
    i couldnt imagine it not being at least manslaughter.  i bet you they thought that they were getting away with the perfect crime.  no one loses a child to a snake and underreacts the way he did.  "stupid snake"... "its under the dresser somewhere"...

[/quote]
    Yeah.  I'm more upset when one of the dogs chews up a shoe, or gets the treats off the counter.  Stupid dog...

I would be beyond hysterical if my pet killed a child, any child...
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Ridiculous.

Ok so these people live like 10 minutes from me and have shopped at the pet store my husband works at. Apparently, the snake "escaped" because they did not own a lid to the cage the snake was in, but instead they secured the top of the cage with a bed-sheet. I also heard a few days ago (before they were charged with this) that the man was being rearrested for selling drugs. I also saw a picture of the snake after he "repeatedly stabbed it" to get it off of the baby and it had one nasty gash, not anywhere near what a normal person would have done to it. And I do know these snakes are heavy and massive, hubby and I used to have an 8 foot one. But no kids, and we sprung for a lid for the cage too! Stupid Stupid Stupid!

Yeah, ya just can't fix stupid. Poor baby.

Also, I think I read somewhere they couldn't remember when they last fed the snake.  Wasn't the snake that was stupid....glad the idiots are going to pay!

[quote author=sarabei link=topic=20754.msg1370289#msg1370289 date=1251204286]
    Also, I think I read somewhere they couldn't remember when they last fed the snake.  Wasn't the snake that was stupid....glad the idiots are going to pay!
    [/quote]

No kidding! Not feeding a snake when it is hungry is asking for it. Using a bed sheet to cover it's cage is something even a grade schooler would know is wrong. The snake wasn't dumb, it was doing what it would do in the wild, it's owners are flipping ridiculous!

[quote author=ZoMyGoddess! link=topic=20754.msg1370092#msg1370092 date=1251165109]
    good.
    i couldnt imagine it not being at least manslaughter.  i bet you they thought that they were getting away with the perfect crime.  no one loses a child to a snake and underreacts the way he did.  "stupid snake"... "its under the dresser somewhere"...

[/quote]

Did you listen to the 911 call? You can hear the guy sobbing. He sounded very upset. I don't know exactly how I would react in a situation like that but him calling the snake stupid to me doesn't sound like him "undereacting".

Thread Information