Thread: Daniel Barter (4) went missing on a camping trip on June 18, 1959

Daniel Barter (4) went missing on a camping trip on June 18, 1959

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted.htm

The last sighting of Daniel Barter was June 18, 1959, near Perdido Bay in Alabama during a family camping trip. The then 4-year-old child had just returned from a trip to a nearby store with his father and went missing shortly after.

Law enforcement officials initially thought Daniel had ventured off into the alligator-infested, swampy area and encountered a gator or drowned, but no trace of him or the soda bottle he was carrying was found.

Investigators then proposed Daniel may have been kidnapped because of the lack of evidence from the search, but no evidence was found to support a kidnapping. Bloodhounds were used to track his movements, but the dogs failed to pick up a positive trail after leading investigators to a spot alongside a road near the boy's last sighting on the beach.

At the time of his disappearance, Daniel stood at 3'0" tall, weighed approximately 50 pounds, and was wearing gray boxer shorts. He has brown hair and eyes, and an age-progressed photo has been provided to portray what Daniel may look like today.

Photograph taken at age 4

Photograph age progressed in 2009

CONTACT: If you have any information concerning this case, please contact your nearest FBI office.

Danny Barter, missing since 1959

The FBI reopened the case last summer but I can't find anything that has come of it so far.

The mother sounds a little ditzy. Of course it was a different time then and people probably didn't just naturally assume the child would be killed.

http://www.dannybarter.com/

Danny Barter's mother seemed to be such a sweet lady who only saw good in people. The next few paragraphs are quotes from her that were printed in the Mobile Register.

Has Danny Barter been kidnapped? His mother seems to think so. "I definitely believe now that someone picked him up and carried him away."  A note of hope crept into her voice as she said "I hope now that someone did take Danny because I know if anyone wanted him bad enough to kidnap him they would take good care of him."

Why would someone kidnap Danny? His mother's opinion.  "I can understand why someone would want to take him because he's such a pretty child."  "I know it wasn't for ransom because we have no money saved and are supporting our children on my husband's income."(Paul Barter was a stockroom manager at Morrison's Cafeteria.)With her voice forlorn, Mrs. Barter says, "I know that I will get my Danny back.....He's such a very pretty and sweet child......I felt that nothing could ever happen to him..."

What happened the day Danny vanished? Mrs. Barter's detailed recollection.  "Paul had gone to a store and bought some drinks for the children, taking Danny with him. When they returned, the children opened their drinks and Danny got one for himself. Danny and my husband were playing together on one of the roll-away cots for a short while then Paul got up and began preparing for the fishing trip. We had rigged three poles for the fishing trip when suddenly we noticed that Danny was not in the tent. I didn't become alarmed at first, even though he was not at the immediate campsite." (Mrs. Barter thought he had went to play with some children who lived about 150 feet away). "I had first believed that despite Danny's fear of water he had wandered into the water and drowned. But not now. I believe he probably walked up the road and someone picked him up."

Did this couple take Danny? The Barter's witnessed a truck ride by with a man and woman inside the morning Danny disappeared. The road leading to the campsite is seldom traveled. "If they or someone else did take Danny it could have been because they were strongly attracted to him." Mrs. Barter stated.

The Barter family would like to Thank a special lady Lynn Ruess who has worked hard on finding Danny.
    All the above information is from Lynn's site

Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Re: Danny Barter, missing since 1959

Mom's hope is amazing. 

danny barter missing since 1959

if anyone has any information about danny barter who has been missing since 1959 i would greatly appreciate your help i am new at this i only recently came accross this case and cannot let it go the case is so bazarr there was no trace of the four year old found. the family continues their quest to find out what happened to danny i would love to be able to give them some closure to this.  shebe

Re: danny barter missing since 1959

Is there any other info you can provide?  Like his parents names, the details of his dissapearance - where was he from?  Where did he dissapear from?

You need more to go off of than just a name.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California

http://www.dannybarter.com/

DOB:  Dec 12, 1954
    Missing:  Jun 18, 1959
    Age Now: 54
    Sex:  Male
    Race:  White
    Hair:  Brown
    Eyes:  Brown
    Height:  3'0" (91 cm)
    Weight:  50 lbs (23 kg)
    Missing From:
    PERDIDO BAY
    AL
    United States

Daniel Barter was born on December 12, 1954 to Mr. & Mrs. Paul Barter. He was the 3rd youngest child of 7 siblings at the time of his disappearance. The eighth child was born after making it a total of 8, he was 4 years old, just 6 months away from his 5th birthday. Danny weighed 50 lbs and was 3'0" tall. He was last seen at his family's campsite in Perdido Bay, AL  wearing only a pair of gray boxer shorts.  How could such a handsome little boy just disappear? Was his wavy brown hair and big brown eyes the reason he was kidnapped, if indeed he ever was? His mother seemed to think so. In fact, these are her exact words as told in the Mobile  Register 6/21/59, "I can understand why someone would want to take him because he's such a pretty child."
    DANNY'S STORY

Since the only one who knows Danny's story is Danny, we are only able to assume what really happened that day on June 18, 1959. According to news articles compiled from the Mobile Register, many thoughts ran through the minds of his family and those involved in the desperate search to find little Danny Barter. Over 500 people helped Anthe search for Danny, 150 of which were Law Enforcement and Firemen. The Navy brought in 115 men to search the waters and land by ship and helicopter. Civilian Volunteers in bands of 25 teamed together and walked almost shoulder to shoulder over a 5 sq mile radius through woods and swamps in search of Danny. Three champion bloodhounds were donated by a doctor from Gadsden, AL.Unfortunately, the dogs were unable to find a trail leading from the site. A skin diver even volunteered to search the bottom of the bay for Danny. As a last resort, dozens of water holes were dynamited in an effort to bring up a body and large alligators in the area were hunted down and killed so stomach contents could be examined. All of this was done but to no avail. Danny was still missing. By this time, Danny's parents considered the possibility that Danny may have been kidnapped.

A DESPERATE MOTHER'S WORDS

Danny Barter's mother seemed to be such a sweet lady who only saw good in people. The next few paragraphs are quotes from her that were printed in the Mobile Register.

Has Danny Barter been kidnapped? His mother seems to think so. "I definitely believe now that someone picked him up and carried him away."  A note of hope crept into her voice as she said "I hope now that someone did take Danny because I know if anyone wanted him bad enough to kidnap him they would take good care of him."

Why would someone kidnap Danny? His mother's opinion.  "I can understand why someone would want to take him because he's such a pretty child."  "I know it wasn't for ransom because we have no money saved and are supporting our children on my husband's income."(Paul Barter was a stockroom manager at Morrison's Cafeteria.)With her voice forlorn, Mrs. Barter says, "I know that I will get my Danny back.....He's such a very pretty and sweet child......I felt that nothing could ever happen to him..."

What happened the day Danny vanished? Mrs. Barter's detailed recollection.  "Paul had gone to a store and bought some drinks for the children, taking Danny with him. When they returned, the children opened their drinks and Danny got one for himself. Danny and my husband were playing together on one of the roll-away cots for a short while then Paul got up and began preparing for the fishing trip. We had rigged three poles for the fishing trip when suddenly we noticed that Danny was not in the tent. I didn't become alarmed at first, even though he was not at the immediate campsite." (Mrs. Barter thought he had went to play with some children who lived about 150 feet away). "I had first believed that despite Danny's fear of water he had wandered into the water and drowned. But not now. I believe he probably walked up the road and someone picked him up."

Did this couple take Danny? The Barter's witnessed a truck ride by with a man and woman inside the morning Danny disappeared. The road leading to the campsite is seldom traveled. "If they or someone else did take Danny it could have been because they were strongly attracted to him." Mrs. Barter stated.

The Barter family would like to Thank a special lady Lynn Ruess who has worked hard on finding Danny.
    All the above information is from Lynn's site

Email
        Copy and paste this Banner at the top of your Website. Hopefully someone will spot him and call or send an E-mail to the Police.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

Thanks Duckie!

Didn't occur to me to just friggen google it. :lol:
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

Between the ocean and shitty farm fields, California

[quote author=strmmrgrrl link=topic=24395.msg1551005#msg1551005 date=1267473730]
    Thanks Duckie!

Didn't occur to me to just friggen google it. :lol:
    [/quote]

:lol: It's all good. They have a forum on the website too. Maybe it can be of use to Shebe.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncomfortablyNumb View Post
    I want that fucking meat.

Three threads on this kid, now. I knew it sounded familiar.  :lol:

http://mydeathspace.com/smf/index.php?topic=20655.0

http://mydeathspace.com/smf/index.php?topic=23993.0

[quote author=PunkerDuckie link=topic=20655.msg1551001#msg1551001 date=1267473452]
    "I hope now that someone did take Danny because I know if anyone wanted him bad enough to kidnap him they would take good care of him."
    [/quote]Wish that were true.  :|
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

Re: Daniel Barter (4) went missing on a camping trip on June 18, 1959

dannys parents were paul and maxine barter . mrs barter was prwegnant with the eighth child at time. danny  was last seen playing near the banks of perdido bay alabama at the campsite was his parents 3  brothers an uncle and 2 cousins he disappeared about 9:45am he was barefooted and wearing gray boxer shorts his mother changed her story several times i have that info if you need it i cant understand how no signs of the child were never found shebe

[quote author=shebe link=topic=20655.msg1551255#msg1551255 date=1267489869]
    dannys parents were paul and maxine barter . mrs barter was prwegnant with the eighth child at time. danny  was last seen playing near the banks of perdido bay alabama at the campsite was his parents 3  brothers an uncle and 2 cousins he disappeared about 9:45am he was barefooted and wearing gray boxer shorts his mother changed her story several times i have that info if you need it i cant understand how no signs of the child were never found shebe
    [/quote]

But people disappear and are never found all the time, shebe.

Do you think the mother had something to do with it? She seemed like kind of a flake to me. Not a killer, just not too reality based.

i am not sure but there was something strange about the whole thing. first she said the children slept alone in the car and danny was gone when they awoke then she said she slept with the children in the car and danny disappeared later inthe morning she also told that her husband took danny to the store to buy soda then she said that it was her that went to the store withdanny and his brother shetold that danny disappeared while watching dad prepare fishing gear then  she said danny was right beside her when he disppeared the father nor any of the other family members said anything and tey tell me now that danny was not discussed that much over the years by the parents. i just cant understand even though it was 1959 why blood hounds were unable to find some sign of danny. shebe

[quote author=shebe link=topic=20655.msg1551274#msg1551274 date=1267490873]
    i am not sure but there was something strange about the whole thing. first she said the children slept alone in the car and danny was gone when they awoke then she said she slept with the children in the car and danny disappeared later inthe morning she also told that her husband took danny to the store to buy soda then she said that it was her that went to the store withdanny and his brother shetold that danny disappeared while watching dad prepare fishing gear then  she said danny was right beside her when he disppeared the father nor any of the other family members said anything and tey tell me now that danny was not discussed that much over the years by the parents. i just cant understand even though it was 1959 why blood hounds were unable to find some sign of danny. shebe
    [/quote]

I thought I read that the bloodhounds traced him to the side of the road near the campground. That would make it seem like he was picked up from there in a car.

Do you have links to your info? I don't think I've read about the various stories mom told.

if you compare the first news articles to the article written by tommy campbell of the sun-advocate you will see many differences however the family tells me that the MEDIA never got any of the info right and that noone ask them what happened so i dont know what to think there had to be some questions asked. you were right about the blood hounds in one article it did say they lost the trail at edge of highway but other articles said there was no trace thqats what makes this so interesting.the article can be found at htpp://littleboylost_dannybarter./colony.com/whatsnew.html  let me know what you think.  shebe

I would not solely depend on what news articles say. There obviously was a stalker involved. He was seen in the store parking lot and in the neighborhood where Danny lived. At the time, the parents didn't think the stalker was interested in boys so they kept  a closer eye on the girls. This was the 50's. People lived their lives totally different from today. They worried more about girls than boys.
    I don't think Mrs. Barter was guilty of anything. A couple of the articles states that she had to be sedated due to the stress of it all. I think she was just confused.....not guilty.

you are exactly right about times being different and i wasnt saying the mother was guilty but there was something swith the whole investigation and why didnt they question any of the rest of the family that was there that day. i read about a peeping tom lurking around their house but i dont know if there was a follow up done. it seems that the investigation just ended quickly and i know in 1959 that families kept things quiet unlike today where everyone knows everyone elses business i feel bad for the parents because i lost my thrteen yearold son in a car accident in 1996 and a stepson to suicide in 1998 and i cannot imagine not knowing what happened to them maybe it was the medication that caused her to tell different stories i just dont understand how there was no evidence found and how noone saw him wander off maybe they should have question the other kids that were there and where was the uncle when danny went missing there are so many unanswered questions.  shebe

I can't imagine living my life not knowing what happened to my Son.

Shebe, I'm sorry for the loss of your boys.

Do as you would be done by.

Thread Information