Thread: Zachary Waddell (8) asphyxiated by church elevator

Zachary Waddell (8) asphyxiated by church elevator

Boy found with head pinned in church elevator
    Ky. 8-year-old dies of asphyxiation at his grandmother's wedding reception
    The Associated Press
    updated 2:14 a.m. MT, Tues., June 16, 2009

STURGIS, Ky. - The body of an 8-year-old boy was found with his head pinned in a church elevator as his family was cleaning up after his grandmother's wedding reception, authorities said Monday.

No foul play is suspected in the death Saturday of Zachary Waddell at First Christian Church in Sturgis, Kentucky State Police said in a statement. The church's pastor, the Rev. Nate Harper, found the boy's body in the doorway at the lower level of the shaft connecting the church's first and second floors, authorities said.

Union County Coroner Stephen Shouse said the boy died as a result of compression asphyxia, meaning he couldn't breathe after the elevator came down on him. He said the elevator was purchased in 1963 and is similar to a freight elevator. The Evansville (Ind.) Courier & Press reported that Shouse is a distant cousin of the boy's mother.

State Police said the boy was pronounced dead at the church. State Police gave few details and did not return telephone messages to The Associated Press about the circumstances.

The boy was found with his head pinned between the walls of the elevator and the shaft and his body was outside the elevator car, Shouse said.

Harper told the newspaper that the discovery was the "worst thing" he's ever experienced.

"It was really hard for us, but more than anything else our hearts go out to that family," he told the newspaper. He also said he did not know a lot about the elevator, "but to our knowledge, we believe it was up to standards."

"There's a family that needs prayer," Harper told the AP on Monday afternoon. "They've suffered a great tragedy."

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31381116/ns/us_news-life/
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Re: Zachary Waddell (8) asphyxiated by church elevator

What a horrible story.

This other elevator incident was tragic also

Friday, May 1, 2009
    Blind man dies after fall down elevator shaft

By Kevin Deutsch
    kdeutsch@riverdalepress.com

A 67-year-old legally blind man was found dead at the bottom of an elevator shaft in his Spuyten Duyvil co-op after he walked through a malfunctioning elevator door and plunged 25 feet Thursday, police said.

Sheldon Scott, who friends say had severe macular degeneration, was reported missing by his wife after he failed to return from an errand to a nearby Chase bank branch on Thursday. He left his apartment about 11 a.m. Thursday, and police found him lying motionless in the shaft at 25 Knolls Crescent at approximately 4 p.m.

A preliminary investigation by the city's Building Department found that the accident was due to a faulty mechanical latch meant to prevent the manual elevator door from opening when the elevator is not there, said department spokesman Tony Sclafani. The department has issued one violation, as well as a cease use order for the elevator.

Since 1991, the Building Department has issued six violations related to the co-op's elevators. But there were no violations or complaints related to the device that malfunctioned Thursday, Mr. Sclafani said.

Residents say the building's two elevators have long been plagued by malfunctions, including shaky elevator cars and doors that open for no reason, exposing the shaft. They had long feared an accident like Thursday's would occur.

"You never feel safe in those elevators. You never feel comfortable," said one longtime resident, who didn't want to give her name for fear the co-op board would chastise her. "One or the other was always out of service. They had just put a new motor in one of them and they said it was going to be fine. Instead, a good man is dead."

Repairmen had been servicing the elevators for weeks due to the ongoing problems, residents said. On Friday. a truck from McGlynn Hays Elevator Company was parked in front of the co-op while men did repairs in the basement.

"They had just been called in to improve the elevator service," said Marvin Goodman, 81, a longtime friend and neighbor of Mr. Scott's. "Because of his vision problem, I don't think he knew that the elevator car wasn't there."

Michael Rowe, President of Knolls Cooperative Section II, where Mr. Scott lived, issued a statement saying the co-op was "deeply saddened by the death of one of our friends and longtime residents" and are cooperating with authorities. The co-op is owned and managed by its residents.

Mr. Scott, who lived in the co-op more than 30 years, was a favorite of the workers at Ben's market next door. He and his wife Elaine would come in for a roast beef or turkey sandwich, and Mr. Scott would play his lucky numbers in the lotto, workers said.

"He was a sweet old man," said Genevieve Martinez, 25, who said she practically grew up with Mr. Scott. "He was in three times a week, just the nicest man you can imagine."

Anna Rufino, 48, who works in the deli at Ben's, said she has a retarded brother who is enamored by the "state" quarters issued by the treasury. So Mr. Scott would put them aside for her whenever he got one.

"He'd do anything for you," said Ms. Rufino. "I used to kiss him on his cheek and warn him not to tell his wife or she'd be jealous. We had fun."

At the Chase branch where Mr. Scott was headed when he died, the branch manager said bank workers had hoped Mr. Scott show up there after his wife reported him missing.

"We tried to help and keep an eye out for him in case he showed," said Pierre Morales. "Unfortunately, he never did."

The medical examiner's office is working to determine the official cause of Mr. Scott's death.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelaiscaustic View Post
    I mean I spent most V days drunk, but that's because I'm a lush, not bc I was bitter haha

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar

Mr. Scott, who lived in the co-op more than 30 years, was a favorite of the workers at Ben's market next door. He and his wife Elaine would come in for a roast beef or turkey sandwich, and Mr. Scott would play his lucky numbers in the lotto, workers said.

This made me particularly sad. :-( RIP Zachary and Sheldon.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

I always wonder if the cable is going to snap for some fucked up reason and I will plummet to my death.

REALLY fucked up way to go. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

Thread Information