Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sarah Spiers missing 26 January 1996 from Claremont, Perth, Western Australia

Wow! I'm so curious about the daughter... was he out snuffing these girls while his little princess was at home playing with her dollies? Or did he off a bunch of girls then have his own and suddenly decide to quit killing to raise her? I can't wait to hear more about this, hope more updates come soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CanaryDiam View Post
    Wow! I'm so curious about the daughter... was he out snuffing these girls while his little princess was at home playing with her dollies? Or did he off a bunch of girls then have his own and suddenly decide to quit killing to raise her? I can't wait to hear more about this, hope more updates come soon.
    I was talking to a friend about this - imagine if he kept Sarah alive and this is her daughter.

These murders happened in the city I grew up. The first girl to go missing (Sarah Spiers) disappeared when I was 12. It was a massive media story as more women were abducted and eventually found raped and murdered. I lived about a 20 minute drive away from the suburb where the disappearances happened. When I was 16/17/18 and started to go out to nightspots in the area, we were still scared about it 6, 7 and 8 years later. We always made sure to stick with friends and not take taxis home alone.

It comes as a big shock and relief to have someone finally arrested. He has been named as Bradley Robert Edwards. It is all over the news here. He lived in a suburb close to me and was the president of the Belmont Little athletics club (the club's Facebook page and I'm guessing his profile also have been removed). Here is a picture from his or his wife's FB page from before it was removed (or I cant find it, at least).

News reports have said he is 48 and has a 20 year old daughter. The pic above is of his wife Catherine. These murders changed the feel of an entire city for years. They scared the entire community so much. I can't emphasise how big of a story this was and how shocking this development is.

ACCUSED Claremont serial killer Bradley Robert Edwards has pleaded not guilty to the murders of three young women in Perth in the mid-1990s.

Edwards also entered not guilty pleas to six further charges relating to other alleged assaults on women, including an alleged 1995 rape at Perth’s Karrakatta cemetery near Claremont

Mr Edwards, 49, who has been in custody since his December 2016 arrest, appeared in the Stirling Gardens Magistrates Court via video link from Hakea prison on Wednesday morning.

ABC News reported Mr Edwards wore prison greens, glasses and showed no emotion as the nine charges were read and he replied “not guilty”.

Don Spiers, the father of one of the three women whose murders comprise the alleged Claremont serial killer case, arrived at court for the hearing.

Mr Edwards was charged with the murder of Sarah Spiers in February, after having been charged with the murders of 23-year-old Jane Rimmer and 27-year-old Ciara Glennon.

All three women disappeared in 1996 and 1997 after nights out in Perth’s popular entertainment quarter in the smart western Perth suburb of Claremont.

Ms Rimmer’s and Ms Glennon’s bodies were found in the weeks after they were reported missing, but 18-year-old Ms Spiers’s body has never been located.

Mr Edwards is also accused of the sexual assault of a woman in her Huntingdale home in 1988, and the Karrakatta Cemetery abduction and rape of a 17-year-old girl in February 1995.

A woman understood to be the victim of the alleged Karrakatta attack was also present in court, the ABC reported.

Mr Edwards has been remanded in custody until a WA Supreme Court appearance in September, and may face trial in 2019.

https://www.news.com.au/national/cou...04feaff528177f

https://www.news.com.au/national/bre...f83aff84c80a0e

Accused Claremont killer kept 'stories'

The man accused of the Claremont serial murders had "stories of interest" on his electronic devices, the Perth court that will hear his epic trial has heard.

Rebecca Le May
    Australian Associated PressDECEMBER 18, 20184:37PM

"Stories of interest" were found on electronic devices in the house of the man accused of the Claremont serial killings, who faces a nine-month trial from mid-2019..

Bradley Robert Edwards, 50, has pleaded not guilty to eight charges against him including the murders of 23-year-old Jane Rimmer, 27-year-old Ciara Glennon and Sarah Spiers, 18, in 1996 and 1997.

Edwards is also accused of attacking an 18-year-old woman in her Huntingdale home in 1988 and raping a 17-year-old girl in Karrakatta in 1995.

The former Little Athletics coach appeared in the West Australian Supreme Court on Tuesday via video link from Hakea prison, where he has been held since his arrest in December 2016.

Justice Stephen Hall ruled Edwards would stand trial from July 22, rather than in May as previously flagged, to allow the legal teams more time to prepare.

Justice Hall will be sitting without a jury and not take a break until it is complete.

"Once started, it would continue until finished," he said.

"We would just work through."

Prosecutor Carmel Barbagallo said many electronic devices were seized from Edwards' house and contained four or five "stories of interest" he had either authored or downloaded.

Defence counsel Paul Yovich said he needed to know the dates when the stories were said to have been created, downloaded or accessed with as much accuracy as possible.

He indicated he might object to the admissibility of the material.

Mr Yovich is also planning a severance application, which if successful, could see two charges heard separately.

Ms Barbagallo said lengthy records documenting "every aspect of his working existence" with Telstra, including personal leave and the vehicles Edwards used for his job, were being gathered.

His medical records are also being obtained, as are statements from 20 taxi drivers who worked during a certain date range.

Statements of manufacturers' specifications are even being obtained from Holden as he drove a Commodore.

Reports are being prepared on fibre and hair analyses by expert witnesses, with tens of thousands of pages so far collated.

The bodies of Ms Rimmer, a childcare worker, and Ms Glennon, a lawyer, were discovered in bushland weeks after they were killed, but the body of Ms Spiers, a secretary, has never been found.

Thread Information