Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Spiers missing 26 January 1996 from Claremont, Perth, Western Australia

Re: Sarah Spiers missing January 26, 1996 from Perth, Western Australia

Honey bee what do you really know? C/mon tell us?  Informer fill me in on your investigation; All you seemed to have done is you have told everyone who you are. Cause we know hey. Fancy coming over here From coolbulture (QLD)to solve the CSK killings? The Oracle know all about you & always will. Might be best getting a real job hon? Then we will have a harder task.Think of what could happen if you spilled the beans....Think alot on that 1 hon. We would have to retrain you, snigger,big job. lols. cant be stuffed. See Angelina & Brad split up last week. Things happen, oh well. x

[quote author=iprangedtheute link=topic=20399.msg1521764#msg1521764 date=1264771003]
    Honey bee what do you really know? C/mon tell us?  Informer fill me in on your investigation; All you seemed to have done is you have told everyone who you are. Cause we know hey. Fancy coming over here From coolbulture (QLD)to solve the CSK killings? The Oracle know all about you & always will. Might be best getting a real job hon? Then we will have a harder task.Think of what could happen if you spilled the beans....Think alot on that 1 hon. We would have to retrain you, snigger,big job. lols. cant be stuffed. See Angelina & Brad split up last week. Things happen, oh well. x
    [/quote]

Hey Phibes  :-)

Oracle knows all.

Phibes knows zip. I don`t know much either. I didn`t write the last post. That case probably never will be solved. Not enough evidence. Most murders are by someone they know or it was an event like an argument  etc. like say the perpetrator  knew the victim. This was random me thinks. Then again didn`t one of the victims babysat for the boss of another of the victims? I did read that ages ago. This is old hat. Time flies.

Informer; Hows it going? Still after me? Hey the ladies at your school drop off say you`re a strange one. You really should leave this state hey. You are in a really warped state of mind going by your blogs. Forwarding my email and or location will result in one thing hey.That being i will not  contact you again.How is the leg tattooed one going.....

[quote author=iprangedtheute link=topic=20399.msg1569972#msg1569972 date=1269178717]
    Informer; Hows it going? Still after me? Hey the ladies at your school drop off say you`re a strange one. You really should leave this state hey. You are in a really warped state of mind going by your blogs. Forwarding my email and or location will result in one thing hey.That being i will not  contact you again.How is the leg tattooed one going.....
    [/quote]

.. the fuck?

What I mean by I won`t contact you again is I won`t have to . You will not see it coming. How goes the research re the Pechey Rd carpark?

[quote author=iprangedtheute link=topic=20399.msg1618696#msg1618696 date=1273315435]
    What I mean by I won`t contact you again is I won`t have to . You will not see it coming. How goes the research re the Pechey Rd carpark?
    [/quote]

You are very cryptic.

What is the significance of the Pechey Road carpark?

Apparently there was a blood curdling scream there on the night Sarah Spiers disappeared. The area has been searched. It is right next to the John Forrest national park.

Really? Is the car park still there as it was in 1996?

I would not at all be surprised if there was a few of the missing out that way. The question is where? ... John Forrest, Glen Forrest, Paulls Valley, Karragullen, all are very creepy, deep, desolate forest areas. The sad thing is that so many years have passed since alot of these girls vanished, even if one of these places were their final resting place, at this point in time, what is the chances of someone stumbling across any remains.

That being said, I still hope for their families sake that one day this will be the case, so that they can be returned home to them, and they can have some sense of closure. Especially Sarah Spiers's family.

Yes a woman was found  burnt on a tree stump in Farrel grove near Mundaring Wier (just past it as you drive from mundaring). I go up to the JFNP quite a bit but for hiking & other similiar reasons.

The sex worker right? There isn't much information about her case ... I have been meaning to go and check the archives for any newspaper articles about her murder. As well as Kerryn Tate. Do you know when she was found, the sex worker?

As far as I know, there was one suspect in that case, who was allegedly implicated in another incident around the same time period involving the kidnapping/assault of another sex worker, and police were looking at links between the two because of the similiarities in location.

I have been trying to find out more about the missing/unsolved murder cases in W.A. There is not a lot of information relating to many of the disappearances, aside from the Claremont victims. So far, I have counted 28 missing/murdered girls in W.A since 1979.

The girls had their throats you know whatsied...  The csk is deceased but not the 2nd person involved. Several  bodies found & not found can be attributed to them. Not all were definately done as a team me says.

I have returned to Perth after working in the Eastern States for many years. I didn't fully understand what was going on from the scant news I heard in the East. I heard enough about the Claremont killings to report a person I used to know to Crime-stoppers. A bloke who used to be very angry with 'Claremont' girls. This bloke was angry, violent and scary. Stalked me out of the State - I went into hiding for 23 years. He used to give me second-hand jewellery which was too expensive and ostenatious for me to ever use. I am concerned that the murders are unresolved and that there are no obvious leads. I spend a lot of time in Claremont and after reading posts from this forum will be circumspect about going into the Claremont Village in future.

Just saw a re-run of the Crime Investigation Australia episode about the Claremont Murders. It's a very informative and well researched episode, with re-enactments of each girl's movements, covering each case from the disappearance of Sarah Spiers, to the abductions and murders of Jane Rimmer and Ciara Glennon. Well worth a watch and probably worth putting in this thread.

The CI episode is below in [s]4 parts[/s] 5 parts. The fourth video shows the whole CCTV footage released in 2008 of Jane Rimmer interacting with a "mystery man" outside the Continental Hotel, shortly before she disappeared on 9 June 1996.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-IthXggnrc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvphl3AWjoc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLj3GfLSkUA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT6zV2wvN5E&feature=related

Re: Sarah Spiers missing 26 January 1996 from Claremont, Perth, Western Australia

Don`t forget Claremont part 5. :-(    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnHztPrWRls&feature=related

Re: Sarah Spiers missing 26 January 1996 from Claremont, Perth, Western Australia

:oops:

my bad.

cheers mate

My Bad?  :2huh:

Thanks for posting that trepid! I am up to part 4 but while loading part 5 i spotted Mark Dixie's name in there, his dna was sent but i can't find if it was his or not, i know australian police keep most info very private, and guessing it was no match or that would of been reported, right? Thought it was interesting none the less because even if he isn't related to this case, i wonder if he is too any other unsolved crimes against women in the area. Seems he had a record in UK, Spain, Holland and Australia. He's a total scumbag.

From 2006-

http://blogs.news.com.au/news/crime/index.php/news/comments/uk_link_in_wa_serial_murders/

One of Australia’s longest-running serial murder investigations, the Claremont killings in Perth, has taken a new twist with the emergence of a suspect in Britain. The 35-year-old British man, who has been charged with the brutal murder of an 18-year-old girl, lived in WA at the time of the three unsolved Claremont murders. And there are intriguing similarities between the Perth murders and the killing in Britain. Perth police have asked for DNA records of the British suspect and are reportedly preparing to fly to London to question him. But if he does turn out to be the elusive Claremont serial killer, it will raise serious questions about how he was able to slip through the net, given he had been arrested for a sex offence in Perth about six years ago and deported.

Mark Dixie, a pub chef, was arrested in June and charged with the murder of 18-year-old model Sally Anne Bowman in the south London suburb of Croydon in 2005. He had been caught after providing a DNA sample to police following a pub punch-up earlier this year. The DNA sample tied him to the Bowman murder and an incident in south London in 2001, when he allegedly masturbated in front of a woman making a call from a public phone box.

The possible link between Dixie and the Claremont murders was revealed by a south London newspaper last week.

Sally Anne Bowman fits the profile of the three young women killed in Perth. All were attractive young blondes. And all were killed on their way home after being out at nightspots with friends.

Sally Anne was knifed to death, then sexually assaulted not far from her home. Bite marks were found on her body. Only two of the bodies of the Claremont murderer have been found. Police have always refused to reveal details of the cause of death or the injuries they suffered. Sarah Spiers, 18, disappeared in January 1996 and her body has never been found. Jane Rimmer, 23, was murdered in August 1996 and Ciara Glennon, 27, was killed in March 1997. Perth police have also always refused to say whether DNA of their killer was recovered from the bodies, although this seems likely because DNA testing has since been used to eliminate a number of suspects. It would also explain why Dixie’s DNA samples are being sent to Perth for testing.

According to the Perth Sunday Times, Dixie used the alias Shane Turner while working as a chef in Perth and other areas of WA in the 1990s. He became an illegal immigrant when he overstayed his visa and was eventually caught when he exposed himself to a woman in a telephone box about six years ago — the same type of crime he allegedly committed in London in 2001. He was deported back to the UK about six years ago.

WA police will only say that their contact with London police over Dixie was “standard practice of looking at perpetrators of major crimes and their possible links to offences that occurred in WA during their time here”. London police are believed to have already interviewed former friends of Dixie’s in WA.

If Dixie proves to be the Claremont serial killer, it will solve one of the intriguing aspects of the case — why the string of abductions and murders suddenly stopped. Most serial killers keep offending until they are caught.

Perth police had all but given up on ever catching the Claremont killer. In November 2004 a special panel comprising two Australian, two British and one US criminal experts was assembled to review all the evidence gathered to date in the investigation.  In September last year the Macro taskforce which had been working on the killings was scaled back and the investigation handed to a new cold case unit.

Dixie and Sally Anne

When he was convicted, mention of him in Australia http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7254628.stm

And of other links abroad- http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article837417.ece

There is some interesting comments on that blog Hayalet (granted they were posted in 2006) ... particularly this one:

Linda Bowman
    Fri 10 Nov 06 (11:17am)

i am the mother of SALLY ANNE BOWMAN, my 18year old daughter was murdered on 25th september 2005. she was brutally stabbed to death and sexually assaulted. i keep reading about the clairmont murders in perth western australia, but to my knowledge no! D.N.A. has been requested from london on mark dixie, alias shane turner from the australian police, i wish it had so the families in australia of these younge girls who have been murdered there can maybe have some closure if the D.N.A. is a match. The parents in australia need to push this matter with the Australian police A.S.A.P.
    I'll have to do some digging, I can't recall whether Mark Dixie was ever officially ruled out by the W.A Police as a suspect with DNA evidence. You would certainly hope that the DNA was in fact requested and tested. I do, however, recall investigators in the U.K stating that if Dixie was responsible for any other heinous crimes, it would almost certainly have been in Australia.

You know, Mark Dixie certainly has a striking resemblance to the unidentified man seen interacting with Jane Rimmer on the CCTV footage.

For what it is worth, he also resembles somewhat the identikit released by a group of psychics at a show held in Perth at the end of September 2009, called the "Psychic Taskforce", where they discussed aspect of the Claremont cases and offered "psychic insights" into the crimes.

That show was controversial and slammed by both the public and police alike, as self-proclaimed psychics inserting themselves into the investigation have reportedly been disseminating misleading information and causing a great deal of distress to Sarah Spier's family since Sarah disappeared.
    See news article here: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=103303

Still, it is interesting to note the similarities in their identikit to Dixie.

This is the identikit:

This is the e-mail that was circulated around regarding the Psychic Taskforce show that was posted on some other public forum. I hesitate in posting it here because the details contained in it are essentially purely speculation and could well be completely misleading, but it makes for interesting reading nonetheless. Please take it with a grain of salt.

This is from the Pyschic Taskforce show in Perth at end of September with Scott Russell Hill, Deb Malone & Anthony Grzelka – makes interesting reading

I have just seen the most amazing show.... and have just seen the face of the Claremont serial killer – if he crosses my path I will know him in a heartbeat!!

The show was by 3 psychics who have done an AMAZING investigation into the Claremont killings. And the information was too incredible not to pass on ..... oh and by the way – he is planning on striking again very soon so make sure you let as many females know this info as soon as you can.

So.... the killer is about 35 years old now, possibly as old as 40. He has been killing for quite some time – the Claremont girls were not his only victims. In fact if you remember Julie Cutler and Hayley Dodd then you will already know he was operating well before Claremont. The psychics know where Sarah is located but it is going to be difficult to get her remains as they are underneath limestone in Henderson. This area was redeveloped very soon after he hid her body there – in fact he knew this would happen as he works in the area. As for his work he is involved with Trucks, mechanics and guess what... there is a serious RAC link to this man. In fact the psychics know who he is – they know his full name, they know his work history and they know the colour and make of car he used when he took Sarah. And they can link all of these things to the person they have identified. The information is now sitting in the hands of the Police... it will be interesting to see what happens.

So things of interest – this man is not a taxi driver, he actually drove a blue Ford Falcon (can’t remember the exact model as I am hopeless with car sh*t!!) and he definitely knew Sarah – that is why she got into his car. He was a casual friend of one of Sarahs’ friends – that is why she trusted him despite not knowing him really well. The psychics also have the name of this friend and they can use this to verify the information to the Police. He is very clever, cold and calculating – everything was well planned and he went out knowing exactly what he was going to do and how he would make it happen. He had a plan.

The really important thing that has been uncovered is that Sarah was not the girl sighted at the phone box on Stirling highway – this is really crucial as the Police have been looking in totally the wrong direction. Basically there are witnesses out there who saw some really significant stuff that night but discounted what they saw because it didn’t fit with Sarah being at that phone box at that time. So rather than report what they saw to the police – they believed their info was not relevant because the Police had Sarah pinned to a position where she never went. She was actually taken from a car park behind Club Bayview – as was the case with Jane and Ciara. This guy picked these girls because of their hair – and he has kept their hair as trophies. He interacted with these girls before taking them AND YES he is the man on the CCTV vision that has just recently been released – and yes he was talking to Jane on that footage.

I had a really good look at an identikit picture of this man. He is of Mediterranean or Italian background. He has dark hair and dark eyes. I felt absolutely sick when I looked at him and as I stared at his picture I could feel the rage and anger and hate – to the point where I saw his face change to what it would have looked like when he committed these crimes. It was really scary. He is driven by compulsion and he will not stop. So you may ask why has he gone so quiet? Well he has other victims buried very close to Sarah. They were taken before Sarah. But he has in the meantime gotten married and had children. The psychics believe as a result he switched his victims to prostitutes who could disappear without any fanfare. They all agree that his man wants to be famous, he wants his work to be known. He hid Sarah very carefully but was disappointed she was not quickly discovered – hence he made no effort to hide Jane and Ciara – it was important to him that they would be found. He is a south of the river person with links to Freo, Kwinana and Henderson and he has a brother, sister and also 2 children of his own. They also believe his compulsion is going to cause him to strike again – and it won’t be the prostitutes he will be going after. They are hoping if enough people start talking about all this info and if they can get his picture spread around enough it might make him think twice about doing this again. More than anything they are just hoping the Police will act on their information.

Whilst they were careful not to describe anything too graphic to us about what he did to the girls – he did some pretty bad sh*t to them – and it involved a ritual that had “surgical aspects” this was important to him, he did it to all the bodies. And the violence escalated with each girl. Sarah was still alive when he took her to Henderson – she actually tried to make a run for it when they got there – but to no avail. He is driven by issues with his mother – whilst she did not physically harm him, she put him down a lot and he suffered mentally at her hands. She did this because of issues with his father. He has an inferiority complex and this is why he goes after the high class girls – when they reject his offers they are signing their own death certificates.

Personally – I have no doubt that Sarah is talking from beyond the grave and she has tried to make her efforts known by linking in to high profile media personalities like Scott Russell Hill. She has timed it to coincide with all the latest hype about Claremont – particularly with the release of that footage not so long ago. I am sure she is telling us there is going to be a lot more bad stuff going down unless they solve this mystery and get this guy locked away. Even if you have no belief in psychics and what they can do – at least tell your daughters to be on their guard and give them as much info as you can – it won’t hurt to have this knowledge. I think these psychics have absolutely nailed this case – they have really detailed information and it will be easy for the Police to validate if it is real or not. Lets hope with a new approach and a bit of help from the other side that this case can be shut – for once and for all.

Not wanting to change this email, I have made some notes of discrepancies & inclusions. It was a full on day with a lot of information to intake.

1- Sarah was not taken from behind club bayview. This is where he was parked and saw Sarah initially (also his 'stalking ground'). He offered her a lift there and she said she was ok.. She then walked off down Bay View Terrace and fumbled through her bag for keys - think about when you do it- she got a bit frustrated and made a slight scene that someone would have seen. This was in front of a Cafe (now offices). Someone would have seen but not said anything because at the time the police said she was somewhere else! He pulled up to her here and she got in there!! She's told Scott Russell Hill 'I wasn't supposed to get in the car' but she did, but it wasn't an obvious struggle, cos she knew him.. He then drove her to down towards Peppermint Grove, where she was going to stay with friends, but then he struck.

2- The psychics, although drawn to the site at Henderson do not necessarily believe she is there but one of the bodies of his other victims are. He did take her there though! They were also drawn to the area as they believe his has strong connections to the place- he either by work or his home. He also has connection to Limestone - crushed Limestone! His route to this destination was straight down Cockburn Road (you could travel from Freo straight to Kwinana at this time).

3- A group of guys, likely from the South Freo Football club where out that night, drunk & mucking around, and one of these boys did an army roll over a car - This was his car!

4- He likes to drive long distances (the Hayley Dodd connection)

5- The car was done up, lowered body kit etc. So he's into his cars. He is also into racing/speedway (hence the Kwinana/Henderson connections as well)..

6- He is good looking, but extremely violent. He would be violent to his wife & kids - hence the family break-up which is about to happen, this divorce/seperation will give him the freedom to re-commence his killings!!

7- We were not told about the RAC connection at our show.

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t604881.html

I can't believe i missed Linda Bowman's comment. Great spot! When the cctv was shown i wondered if it was Dixie. Most went to same hotel/nightspot and he is/was a chef.

I can't find anything about the DNA, if he wasn't involved in this i'll be surprised if his dna didn't link him to other cold cases.

Never mind, found it-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1579461/Mark-Dixie-20-years-of-sexual-violence.html

At the age of 16, he was charged with indecent assault after allegedly putting a knife to a woman’s throat and fondling her breasts. Although the case was withdrawn in court, it was the first of many brushes with the law.

Just a year later, he attacked a Jehovah’s witness, threatening the married mother-of-three with her life and ending up in jail for six months.

The trained chef, now 37, committed three other sexual offences in the UK, assaulted a police officer and was charged with theft on eight different occasions.

His criminal past was also international with DNA links to the “savage and sexual” attack of a Thai student in Western Australia and he was investigated in connection with the most notorious unsolved murders in Perth - the Claremont killings.

Police sources are sure he struck several times in Australia, as he travelled the length of the country in the 1990s. They are convinced Miss Bowman is not the first person he killed and believe if there is another victim, it would have been in Australia.

Miss Bowman’s killer lived through aliases, changing his name on at least four occasions to Mark McDonald, Steve McDonald, Mark Down or Shane Turner.

Born in Streatham on September 24, 1970, Dixie lived with his mother and step-father in south east London and started smoking cannabis at 14.

After two convictions for robbery in 1987, he was found guilty of indecent exposure and indecent assault in 1988 when he exposed himself to a woman and forced her to the ground.

Just a few months later, he attacked a woman who had struck up a relationship with his then girlfriend. Trapping the woman in the lift in his tower block in Plumpstead, south east London, he punched her in the face before rubbing his leg against hers.

“I definitely thought he was going to rape me,” she said. “He was holding my arms, I fought a lot and it was then that he hit me, it was my eye mostly and my upper jaw.
    “After I struggled to my feet, he got hold of me by the throat with both of his hands. When we got outside, he told me not scream or else he would kill me.”

The woman - now in her 60s - escaped and Dixie was sentenced to six months in prison for indecent assault. In 1993, he moved to Australia with the girlfriend and their two sons, and they moved from Sydney to Queensland, Melbourne to Perth.
    Arrested in 1999 for exposing himself, he was deported back to the UK and returned to Croydon. A year before he came home, a Thai student was set upon by a man with a knife who forced her to strip and nearly killed her. No one was ever caught.

But in 2006, a scientific breakthrough identified the DNA found in her underwear as belonging to Dixie. That same year, Dixie was named as suspect in the Claremont killings, where two women died and a third went missing in 1996 and 1997 in Perth. Again, no one has been convicted, but Dixie was cleared of any connection.

On his return to the UK, Dixie moved from working in one pub to another in south east London and Islington, never settling.

In 2003, he went to Spain to work in a restaurant with his new girlfriend Stacey Nivet, then only 19, who discovered she was pregnant. They came back in October 2003 just before she gave birth to their son and lived in Blenheim Crescent where Miss Bowman was murdered two years later.

Dixie and Miss Nivet separated in 2005 - just three weeks before the murder - although they continued to see each other and had a sexual relationship until April 2006.

He kept his violent past from the many women he met over the years, most of whom recalled a man who regularly smoked cannabis, took cocaine and ecstasy. They also described him as moody and unpredictable.

Another ex-girlfriend remembered him regularly drinking 10 pints at a time.

Miss Nivet, now 24, said they would “get a bit rough” when having sex after taking drugs, with him biting her on the neck and sides. Miss Bowman was found with four bite marks on her body.
    Miss Nivet said he would “get angry at the slightest thing” but speaking to him only hours after he killed Miss Bowman he appeared his normal self.

He claimed to be “repulsed” by the murder, but refused to offer his DNA when local men were asked to do so to eliminate themselves from the inquiry.

A total of 1,170 men came forward. A few weeks after the killing, he went to Amsterdam but returned in January 2006. Six months after Miss Bowman’s death, he filmed himself committing a sex act in front of a newspaper bearing her image.

Nine months passed as police trawled through thousands of suspects, but it was only when Dixie was arrested in a drunken brawl in Crawley during the 2006 World Cup that his DNA was matched with evidence found at the scene.

Just five hours after his name came up on the DNA database on June 27, he was arrested in his chef whites at the Ye Old Six Bells in Horley, Surrey.

Officers asked if was mentally fit to be arrested and chillingly, he replied: “I must be mad to something like that, eh?”

THEY were three young women who all had enjoyed a night out in one of WA?s most affluent suburbs.

And within the space of just over year, all three had disappeared.

For almost two decades, Perth has been haunted by the Claremont serial killings ? the name given to describe the murders of Jane Rimmer and Ciara Glennon, and the disappearance of Sarah Spiers.

While WA Police this week had a major breakthrough in a baffling missing person?s case ? the disappearance of Hayley Marie Dodd ? they have yet to solve arguably WA?s biggest murder mystery.

Just who was responsible for taking the trio has stumped authorities for nearly 20 years.

Despite multiple reviews, help from an FBI profiler, forensic examinations in the UK and several possible suspects, police have yet to crack the case.

What is known is that all three women were last seen in the Claremont area, the wealthy western suburb of Perth.

Ms Spiers, a fresh-faced secretary, vanished after a night out with friends at Club Bayview on Australia Day, 1996. The 18-year-old had left the venue in search of a taxi. She has not been seen since.

Five months later, 23-year-old child care worker Jane Rimmer disappeared from the same spot. She too had been out with friends. A little over a month after she disappeared, her body was found in bushland in Perth?s south.

Then in March 1997, 27-year-old lawyer Ciara Glennon failed to return from a night out in the Claremont area. Her body was found a few weeks later in bushland north of Perth.

Following the discovery of Ms Glennon, police declared they were searching for a serial killer.

Initially, the Macro taskforce, the unit set up to catch the killer, believed all three women may have been taken by a taxi driver because all three had left friends in search of a cab.

This lead sparked a massive overhaul of the WA taxi industry ? and triggered fear among the taxi-using public.

Women no longer felt safe to travel in cabs alone.

DNA testing was carried out on all licensed taxi drivers in WA, as well as review into their personal backgrounds. Those with a criminal history were immediately de-licensed and standards for the industry were raised.

A report to the WA Parliament revealed the fear generated by the killings led to a 25 to 30 per cent drop in taxi usage in the city, prompting the taxi industry to volunteer for the mass swabs.

Eventually all the taxi drivers who had taken part were excluded from inquiries.

Following that detectives in charge of the case became focused on other leads.

Very early on they suspected a junior police officer who surfaced during a decoy operation. He later went to the media purporting his innocence.

The macro taskforce also honed in on a 42-year-old public servant who lived in the nearby suburb of Cottesloe. He was subject to round the clock surveillance but he was never charged.

Police also targeted a former mayor of Claremont and civil libertarian, who has refuted any involvement in the unsolved crimes, and a taxi driver who reportedly gave Ms Spiers, as well as two others, a lift to a hotel the night before she disappeared.

There had also been reports police had investigated the possibility Bradley Murdoch, who was convicted of killing British tourist Peter Falconio, might have been involved as well as Mark Dixie, the man jailed for killing UK model Sally Anne Bowman. Both suspects have since been ruled out.

In recent years WA police have gone back over the file trying to discover if that crucial piece of evidence has been missed.

In December they began ?reaching? out to anyone who had ever been interviewed or appeared on police files in connection with the cold case.

They asked people to fill out questionnaires and provide DNA samples in a bid to rule them out.

And just a few months ago, it was reported that police had moved away from the taxi theory and now believe the three women may have been the victims of a blitz attack and were forced into a car.

It was also reported that WA Police still believe they can catch whoever is responsible.

Lets hope for the Ciara, Sarah and Jane?s families that they can.

In a statement,WA Police told news.com.au: ?Claremont (Macro) is an on-going investigation, hence inquiries will continue to be made. Police are in regular contact with family members.

WA Police remain committed to resolving these and other significant offences.

?The Macro inquiry has been extensively reviewed, both internally and externally. Since 1996 there have been 11 independent reviews, six of which did not involve members of the WA Police. The high-profile Schramm Review in 2004 was undertaken by highly-experienced and qualified homicide detectives, forensic and other experts from SA, NSW, the UK and USA.

?Any person with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.?

http://www.news.com.au/national/crim...-1227370836343

They moved away from the taxi theory?

Interesting.

I remember reading just a few months ago that a man had supposedly come forward with information that puts a taxi at the scene where Ciara Glennon's body was found.

Never heard anything more about it

Here -->http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/west...-1227173673919

I think there's a story On this case on channel 7 this week on their Sunday Night show.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-1...gation/6859620

Claremont serial killer investigation : Ciara Glennon's murderer linked to unsolved rape
    By Graeme Powell
    Updated about 2 hours ago

PHOTO: Police have reportedly linked the murder of Ciara Glennon to an unsolved rape two years earlier. (ABC News)

RELATED STORY: Timeline of key events: Claremont serial killingsRELATED STORY: Police release footage of Claremont murder victimRELATED STORY: Police defend Claremont serial killer investigationRELATED STORY: Murder victim's father welcomes investigation review
    MAP: Claremont 6010
    Police in Perth have reportedly made a breakthrough in the Claremont serial killings, one of the nation's longest running investigations.

The Post newspaper has reported that police believe the person responsible for killing three women last seen in Claremont in the 1990s also raped a teenage girl in the year before the first murder.

The newspaper said police had established a forensic link showing that whoever killed Ciara Glennon in January 1997 also abducted the 17-year-old from a Claremont street in February 1995 before sexually assaulting her in Karrakatta Cemetery.

The teenager survived.

Almost one year after the sexual assault, in January 1996, 18-year-old Sarah Spiers was abducted after leaving Club Bayview in Claremont.

For operational reasons the Macro Taskforce has not commented on similar media reports about possible links to other crimes.
    WA Police spokesman
    Ms Spiers told her friends she was tired and was going to get a taxi home, and has never been seen since.

Five months later, Jane Rimmer, 23, vanished after drinking at the Continental Hotel in Claremont.

Ms Rimmer's body was found in August 1996 in bush at Wellard, south of Perth.

Ms Glennon, 27, was the killer's third victim.

She disappeared from the Claremont area in March 1997, having also visited the Continental Hotel.

Her body was found in April of that year in bush at Eglington, north of Perth.

Police decline to comment on 'breakthrough'

Approached by the ABC, police released a statement saying they would not respond to the reported DNA breakthrough.

"For operational reasons the Macro Taskforce has not commented on similar media reports about possible links to other crimes," a police spokesman said.

PHOTO: Sarah Spiers was said to be the first victim of the Claremont serial killer. (ABC)
    "Maintaining the operational integrity of this investigation is paramount if we are to bring the offender, or offenders, to justice, therefore operational outcomes must be prioritised over media and public interest.

"Media reports on an active investigation can seriously jeopardise the investigation and negatively impact future prosecutions."

Acting Assistant Commissioner Pryce Scanlan later read the prepared statement to reporters and media cameras, but would not answer questions about the case.

Premier Colin Barnett said he hoped it was the breakthrough police and the victims' families had been waiting for.

"The police have persisted in this, I don't know any more details, but I hope this does lead to further lines of investigation, because this has been a long time, 20 years now since those young girls disappeared," he said.

Post editor Bret Christian said the link would not come as a surprise.

"When the Claremont series began, we went to an ex-FBI profiler in the United States and put the four crimes to him," he told Fairfax Radio.

"And he said, 'I would be looking thoroughly at that first sexual assault. I think that's your bloke.'

"I published this and we got criticised roundly for it and publicly for publishing this opinion, which turned out to be right."

Mr Christian said as far as he knew, police had not identified the man responsible for the 1995 rape, but had re-interviewed thousands of people since originally making the link a number of years ago.

"What's really chilling is that when they [the police] began a cold-case review of the serial killings in 2004 ... they announced they would be examining the disappearance of 16 women," he said.

"So who knows how active and for how long this guy has been before this."

Investigation spans two decades

The Claremont serial killings paralysed Perth and sparked one of the biggest murder investigations in Australia's history.

PHOTO: Jane Rimmer's body was the first to be found, in bush in Perth's southern suburbs. (ABC)
    The Macro task force was established by police early on in an attempt to solve the mystery.

Senior officers leading the task force publicly focussed their attention on a handful of suspects, including a middle-aged public servant who lived with his parents in Cottesloe.

There have been more than 10 independent reviews of the Claremont investigation by expert crime fighters from the eastern states and around the world.

In 2008, police released previously unseen video footage of a man seen with Ms Rimmer just minutes before she disappeared.

The CCTV vision showed Ms Rimmer standing outside the Continental Hotel when a man approached her and engaged in a brief discussion.

Police said the man was the only one in the footage they had not been able to identify, but described him as a person of interest, not a suspect.

Senior officers also said in 2008 that up to 3,000 people had been investigated as part of the Macro probe.

The Macro task force remains active, two decades after Sarah Spiers disappeared.

Thread Information