Thread: Chastity Bono announces sex change

Chastity Bono announces sex change

ANGELES — Chastity Bono is having a sex change to become a man.

A spokesman for Bono, born a girl to Sonny and Cher, says he "has made the courageous decision to honor his true identity" and began the sex-change process earlier this year.

Publicist Howard Bragman said Bono is proud of his decision and hopes "that his choice to transition will open the hearts and minds of the public regarding this issue."

The 40-year-old writer, activist and reality-TV star came out as gay 20 years ago, Bragman said.

In the book "Family Outing: A Guide to the Coming-Out Process for Gays, Lesbians, & Their Families," Bono describes the realization of being "somehow different — specifically different from who my mom expected me to be."

A message left with Cher's representatives was not immediately returned Thursday.

Bono's second book, "The End of Innocence: A Memoir," details how relationships with Joan, a lover, and Sonny and Cher changed after coming out.

In 1995, Bono posed for the cover of the gay magazine The Advocate and began working for the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD).

http://www.comcast.net/articles/entertainment/20090611/US.People.Chastity.Bono/

Cher must be so proud

Re: Chastity Bono announces sex change

Ugh.  They need to stop referring to her as "he/his/him"....she clearly isn't a man yet.

[quote author=Just Me link=topic=20347.msg1303069#msg1303069 date=1244765186]
    Cher must be so proud
    [/quote]

Did I miss the part where Chastity murdered somebody? Or defrauded old people? As far as I can see, she's just changing genders. She's not hurting anybody.

I don't know, I don't have kids, but parents are always telling me that their love for their children is "unconditional." I would hope that Cher loves her daughter and is proud of her, no matter what gender she chooses to be. Switching genders isn't going to change who Chastity is as a person.

Or perhaps you were serious and really meant that Cher is proud? She is, after all, an icon of the gay community.
    <br /><br />I want to go to Heaven for the weather and Hell for the company.

She is going to end up looking like the guy from King of Queens when its all over.&nbsp;

the color nine

Actually Cher had a friggin fit when Chas told her parents she was gay.&nbsp; Sonny was the cool one about it all.&nbsp; Strange, huh?

[quote author=the color nine link=topic=20347.msg1303093#msg1303093 date=1244766639]
    Actually Cher had a friggin fit when Chas told her parents she was gay.&nbsp; Sonny was the cool one about it all.&nbsp; Strange, huh?
    [/quote]

How sad. Like I said, not a parent, but I really can't imagine getting upset with my child over something like this.

I'm all for sex changes. But being a parent I can see how it would be difficult. It doesn't mean you're against sex changes. If my son wanted a sex change, I would be devastated, but I would find a way to come to grips with it and I would still love him the same.

[quote author=Hotsauce McGilacuty link=topic=20347.msg1303104#msg1303104 date=1244767320]
    I'm all for sex changes. But being a parent I can see how it would be difficult. It doesn't mean you're against sex changes. If my son wanted a sex change, I would be devastated, but I would find a way to come to grips with it and I would still love him the same.
    [/quote]

Exactly.&nbsp; I have absolutely nothing against it.&nbsp; At all.&nbsp; But if my daughter told me that she wasn't happy with who she was, part of me would probably blame myself.&nbsp; Illogical, yes.&nbsp; But parenting isn't always logical.

[quote author=Nocturnity link=topic=20347.msg1303113#msg1303113 date=1244767666]
    Exactly.&nbsp; I have absolutely nothing against it.&nbsp; At all.&nbsp; But if my daughter told me that she wasn't happy with who she was, part of me would probably blame myself.&nbsp; Illogical, yes.&nbsp; But parenting isn't always logical.
    [/quote]

That makes sense to me.

I never really fully understood the transgender issue until I met people who are transgender. I've never heard a single one say that it was about not liking who they are, but about becoming on the outside who they've always felt like on the inside.

But I can totally see how this would be extremely emotional for parents. In my perfect world, more parents would be like you and Sauce: have the emotional reaction, but come to realize that your child will always be your child and you'll always love them.

[quote author=mishira link=topic=20347.msg1303121#msg1303121 date=1244768195]
    That makes sense to me.

I never really fully understood the transgender issue until I met people who are transgender. I've never heard a single one say that it was about not liking who they are, but about becoming on the outside who they've always felt like on the inside.

But I can totally see how this would be extremely emotional for parents. In my perfect world, more parents would be like you and Sauce: have the emotional reaction, but come to realize that your child will always be your child and you'll always love them.
    [/quote]

Quoted for truth.

Every one that I've always spoken to said basically the same thing.&nbsp; But as a parent I wouldn't hear that part. :lol:&nbsp; Sometimes parents have a hard time seeing their children as individuals rather than extensions of ourselves.&nbsp; We want to be able to fix them, even when the reason they're broken has nothing to do with how we raise them.

Cher's Daughter Chastity To Become A Man

Cher's daughter Chastity Bono is undergoing surgery to become a man.

The writer, actress and musician - who confirmed she was gay in a magazine interview in 1995 - has been considering having the gender reassignment operation for a while, according to Bono's publicist Howard Bragman.

He reveals the gay rights activist's decision has been welcomed by her family and friends, and Bono - now known as Chaz - began the lengthy process to change genders after celebrating her 40th birthday in March.

Friends, including Bragman, have already started referring to her as a 'he'.

Bragman tells TMZ.com, &quot;Chaz, after many years of consideration, has made the courageous decision to honour his true identity.

&quot;He is proud of his decision and grateful for the support and respect that has already been shown by his loved ones. It is Chaz's hope that his choice to transition will open the hearts and minds of the public regarding this issue, just as his 'coming out' did nearly 20 years ago.

&quot;We ask that the media respect Chaz's privacy during this long process.&quot;

Meanwhile, the Gay &amp; Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) has come out to salute Bono.

President Neil Giuliano says, &quot;Chaz Bono's decision to live his life authentically represents an important step forward, both for him personally and for all who are committed to advancing discussions about fairness and equality for transgender people.

&quot;Coming out as transgender is an extremely personal decision and one that is never made lightly. We look forward to hearing Chaz's story in his own words in the future.&quot;

http://www.imdb.com/news/ns0000002/#ni0829737

Re: Cher's Daughter Chastity To Become A Man

http://mydeathspace.com/smf/index.php?topic=20347.0

^ Just posted in the wrong section, in my opinion.

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar

[quote author=Nocturnity link=topic=20347.msg1303075#msg1303075 date=1244765361]
    Ugh.&nbsp; They need to stop referring to her as &quot;he/his/him&quot;....she clearly isn't a man yet.
    [/quote]

i dont think there's anything wrong with referring to him as a man.&nbsp; he identifies as a man, why not respect that and refer to him as such?&nbsp;
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

I LOVE CHER. I can't even begin to describe it.

Good for Chaz.&nbsp; The media needs to GTFO.&nbsp;

[quote author=neenerneener link=topic=20347.msg1303253#msg1303253 date=1244777240]
    i dont think there's anything wrong with referring to him as a man.&nbsp; he identifies as a man, why not respect that and refer to him as such?&nbsp;
    [/quote]

Can't help it.&nbsp; I don't see gray areas too well.&nbsp; My brain operates strictly on logic.&nbsp; Until the surgery, she is a female in my eyes.

Edited to add:&nbsp; By my calling her a &quot;she&quot; until her surgery, I mean no disrespect to her.&nbsp; I have friends who are women living as men and vice versa, and I call them by their physical gender.&nbsp;

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar

[quote author=Nocturnity link=topic=20347.msg1303282#msg1303282 date=1244779728]
    Can't help it.&nbsp; I don't see gray areas too well.&nbsp; My brain operates strictly on logic.&nbsp; Until the surgery, she is a female in my eyes.
    [/quote]

meh, we all have a right to our own opinion.&nbsp; we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.&nbsp; :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

[quote author=neenerneener link=topic=20347.msg1303289#msg1303289 date=1244780093]
    meh, we all have a right to our own opinion.&nbsp; we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.&nbsp; :-P
    [/quote]

:kiss3:

I really dont see why anyone cares about this.

But if she identifies as a male and is happy then yay for Chas!

Now there's another famous daughter who is also planning to become a man --

Warren Beatty &amp; Annette Bening's daughter Kathlyn, who now goes by Stephen Ira.

The eldest daughter of Warren Beatty and Annette Bening is living as a young man after changing her name.

Kathlyn Beatty, 18, is now known as Stephen Ira and is said to be planning a sex-change operation.

According to reports in the U.S., Hollywood veteran Beatty, 73, is 'crushed' by his child's determination to change her gender.

Meanwhile Miss Bening, 52, who starred in American Beauty, is trying to support her daughter as best she can, despite finding the situation heartbreaking.

The National Enquirer reported that the teenager was currently attending college dressed as a man.

'Warren Beatty is beside himself over the situation with his daughter Kathlyn,' a source told the Enquirer.

'He and Annette have tried to deal with this over the years when their daughter was younger, but she's determined to go ahead with the transgender operation, just like Chastity [Bono].

'She repeatedly told her parents that once she turns 18 she would take matters into her own hands.'

Bening remains close to Kathlyn but, although Beatty loves his daughter and vows not to turn his back on her, the experience is absolutely 'crushing him' according to the Enquirer.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...e-Stephen.html
    A nap is only nice when it's a luxury, not a necessity.

Thread Information