Thread: 800-pound corpse hoisted from downtown Fresno room

800-pound corpse hoisted from downtown Fresno room

As soon as they release this dude's identity, I'll check to see if he has a MySpace and change the post. 

800-pound corpse hoisted from downtown Fresno room
    Published online on Tuesday, May. 19, 2009
    By Denny Boyles / The Fresno Bee

Fresno firefighters had to remove a wall and use an improvised pulley system to remove a man believed to weigh more than 800 pounds who was found dead in a downtown residential hotel Tuesday night.

The 51-year-old man was not identified.

Fire department spokesman Ken Shockley said the removal effort, at the Asia Hotel near the intersection of Kern and G streets in Chinatown, was unlike anything anyone in the department has ever seen.

“It was a major challenge, and our firefighters were trying at the same time to protect his identity and the dignity of his remains,” Shockley said.

The death was reported at 7:50 p.m. Police officers and firefighters from Station 3 responded, then called for assistance from the fire department’s urban search and rescue unit when it became clear that they couldn’t remove the body in the normal way.

More than a dozen firefighters first removed a wall between the man’s second floor apartment and the stairwell, Shockley said, then built a pulley system to slowly lower the body downstairs.

Once the body, wrapped in a large tarp, was on the ground floor, the firefighters used the pulleys, rope and a gurney rated for 1,500 pounds to load the man into a coroner’s van.

Shockley said neighbors told firefighters that no one had seen the man walking around the hotel, which has shared restroom facilities, for more than a month.

“They said when he did walk, he used two canes and had difficulty making it through the hallways. The residents here were helping him with basic needs before his death,” Shockley said.

A resident of the hotel, who would only identify himself as Rod, said no one had seen the dead man in several days.

“He had gained a lot of weight, several hundred pounds at least, just in the last year. I think he probably died several days ago,” Rod said.

http://www.fresnobee.com/local/story/1416606.html

I cannot even begin to imagine how that apartment hallway must have reeked.   

RIP Big Guy

Re: 800-pound corpse hoisted from downtown Fresno room

If he was walking around the hotel a month ago he must have been able to get out of his room, right? I wonder why they had to remove the wall. I'm confused, as usual.  :lol:

My mom was just telling me about a guy in my area who died in his mobile home and they had to cut through the wall to get him out when he died because he was so huge.

RIP large unidentified man.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=19936.msg1280671#msg1280671 date=1242801590]
    If he was walking around the hotel a month ago he must have been able to get out of his room, right? I wonder why they had to remove the wall. I'm confused, as usual.  :lol:

My mom was just telling me about a guy in my area who died in his mobile home and they had to cut through the wall to get him out when he died because he was so huge.

RIP large unidentified man.
    [/quote]

:lol:

that sounds so weird.  :oops:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

A long time ago when my dad was a firefighter, they had a very large man dead upstairs. They honestly didn't know what to do and ended up
    rolling him down the stairs. Reluctantly.

[quote author=snowfallsoon link=topic=19936.msg1281048#msg1281048 date=1242841772]
    A long time ago when my dad was a firefighter, they had a very large man dead upstairs. They honestly didn't know what to do and ended up
    [/quote]

Rollin, Rollin, Rollin down the river....

Very sad. 

RIP Big Guy 
    Quote Originally Posted by angelaiscaustic View Post
    I mean I spent most V days drunk, but that's because I'm a lush, not bc I was bitter haha

[quote author=b_fly27 link=topic=19936.msg1281067#msg1281067 date=1242842936]
    Rollin, Rollin, Rollin down the river....
    [/quote]

I couldn't believe it when my dad told me, but he said 'he didn't feel anything, jeez'

[quote author=snowfallsoon link=topic=19936.msg1281048#msg1281048 date=1242841772]
    [/quote]

Is anyone else thinking about the scene from Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory where they had to roll Violet out of the scene b/c she was getting HUGE ?  :2grin: "Your turning violet, Violet"

So far just a first name

Quote Originally Posted by http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id=6823943
    Fresno Coroner Searches for 800lb Man's Family

By Gene Haagenson

Fresno, CA (KFSN) -- The Fresno Coroner's office is looking for relatives of 800 pound man who was found dead Tuesday in a Chinatown apartment.

Neighbors say the man's name is Bernard. He lived in a second floor apartment for about three years. The coroner's office is trying to find out if he has any living relatives. Those who live here may have been the closest thing he had to family.

The wall to Bernard's room has been boarded up. His neighbors in the Old Asia Hotel say he kept to himself.

Rodney Torre said, "He always leaves his door open a crack, and I used to just go by and say hi to him. That's all."

Benjamin Cardinez said, "He was a nice man. He wasn't feeling good for the last week. You know because it was the heat. Everybody thought it was the heat."

The Fire Department estimates Bernard weighed at least eight hundred pounds. A dozen firefighters had to remove him from the Hotel, on a stretcher made from a four by eight foot piece of plywood. Neighbors say Bernard had a very tough time getting around.

Keith Thompson said, "He would suck his stomach in, just to get through the door, sideways."

He had people go get his food for him. Because he couldn't get up and down. It took him like ten minutes to get up the stairs."

Now the case is in the hands of Fresno County Coroner ... Dr. David Hadden. He says the priority is trying to find the man's family.

Dr. David Hadden said "And there are those cases where, it's terribly sad where there is nobody, and I always find it a little sad that nobody knows and nobody cares because there is nobody for you."

Dr. Hadden is investigating that the man had one or more ex wives. So social security records and other databases are being checked for any family connections to help bring closure to this tragic story.
    I don't sell crack, I'm a prostitute.

Thread Information