Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Mitchell shot Dan Azeff during an argument over the Confederate Flag

Olivia

Michael Mitchell shot Dan Azeff during an argument over the Confederate Flag

Dan's MySpace URL: http://www.myspace.com/danonaim

Michael's myspace - http://www.myspace.com/mikey2458

A Friday-night argument between two teenagers -- one white and one black -- over the Confederate flag ended with one in the hospital with a gunshot wound and the other in jail, facing felony charges.

Click to enlarge
    Michael J. Mitchell, 18, left, and Dan A. Azeff, 18.
    Buy photo Related Links:
    Sarasota teen recovering from shooting over Confederate flag
    The shooting occurred about 10:30 p.m. in downtown Sarasota near Links and Main streets. The site is across from the Hollywood 20 movie theater and is a popular nighttime gathering spot for teenagers.

According to police and eyewitness reports:

Michael J. Mitchell, 18, a student at the Sarasota Military Academy, was with a group of friends when Dan A. Azeff, also 18 and a student at Sarasota High School and Sarasota County Technical Institute, walked by with another group.

Azeff wore a hat with the Confederate symbol and carried a Confederate flag measuring about 5 feet by 3 feet.

Mitchell and a friend questioned Azeff about the hat and flag, asking if he was a racist. Azeff told them no, he was just exercising free speech.

The fight escalated and the groups exchanged racial slurs. Mitchell reportedly pulled out a handgun and shot Azeff once in the chest, then ran off.

Police closed off Main Street and brought in dogs and a helicopter during a two-hour search for the gunman. They also rounded up several of Mitchell's friends and learned his name and where he lived.

Mitchell was arrested early Saturday at his home in the 5300 block of Southerly Way. He faces a charge of aggravated battery with a firearm.

Azeff, who lives in the 1400 block of Fleetwood Drive, was flown by helicopter to Bayfront Medical Center in St. Petersburg. He was conscious, and was listed in serious but stable condition Saturday evening.

Azeff's parents were at the hospital Saturday and could not be reached by phone.

Azeff's grandfather, Joseph Fischer, said the Azeff family moved to Southwest Florida from the Philadelphia area about 11 years ago. Azeff has an older sister at Florida State University and a younger sister who attends Sarasota High.

Azeff has been involved in the Junior ROTC and is planning to join the Army after graduation, Fischer said.

He also said Azeff hung out with a group of teenagers who call themselves "country boys." An old MySpace page opened by Azeff had the header "A country man can survive," and he posted country music videos by artists such as Rodney Atkins.

Along with his passion for all things country, Azeff has seemed fascinated by the rebel flag, Fischer said. "But he did not know what it truly meant. To him it was just a flag," Fischer said. "I tried to explain to him that, here in the South, it is a symbol of the past."

Azeff had a Confederate flag emblem on his car, but his grandfather scolded him for it.

"I told him: 'Take that off. Don't come to my home with that flag on your license plate,'" Fischer said. "I guess he was hanging around with a group of kids who do that sort of thing."

Mitchell's family could not be reached by phone Saturday and no one answered their door.

Sgt. Major Mike Collis, who is Mitchell's coach for the Sarasota Military Academy's tactics team, said that if Mitchell was indeed involved it was "completely unexpected and completely out of character."

"He was always a good student for me, polite and considerate,: Collis said. "I was his coach and he was a team player."

Collis said Mitchell is a hard worker who always participates in campouts and other activities.

"I was completely taken by surprise," Collis said. "It's a real tragedy and I feel bad for everybody involved."

Collins also wondered why the gunman had a gun in the first place. "Who carries a gun to the movies?"

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090426/article/904261055

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

Re: Michael Mitchell shot Dan Azeff during an argument over the Confederate Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar

Re: Michael Mitchell shot Dan Azeff during an argument over the Confederate Flag

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=19822.msg1273726#msg1273726 date=1242171326]

[/quote]

its funny that someone was shot?  :|
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

[quote author=neenerneener link=topic=19822.msg1273791#msg1273791 date=1242176239]
    its funny that someone was shot?  :|
    [/quote]

Yes.

not funny so much, how bout an old fashioned beat down instead of shooting and running. Coward

[quote author=Hellbettie link=topic=19822.msg1273796#msg1273796 date=1242176447]
    not funny so much, how bout an old fashioned beat down instead of shooting and running. Coward
    [/quote]

Oh, that would be much better. But the whole story is pretty hysterical though.

[quote author=Hellbettie link=topic=19822.msg1273796#msg1273796 date=1242176447]
    [/quote]

What is funny is how Ron hates guns, but when a guy with a confederate flag gets capped, he thinks its funny.

I mean honestly, some people associate the flag with being Southerners, not as a pro-slavery idea.  Then again, some are racists, but we have a right to be racist if we want to.  Judge racists, you don't shoot them because you don't agree...

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=19822.msg1273798#msg1273798 date=1242176540]
    Oh, that would be much better. But the whole story is pretty hysterical though.
    [/quote]

The part I found the funniest is this:

Collins also wondered why the gunman had a gun in the first place. "Who carries a gun to the movies?"

Obviously this guy isn't up on the times. 

[quote author=Chompin link=topic=19822.msg1273799#msg1273799 date=1242176612]
    What is funny is how Ron hates guns, but when a guy with a confederate flag gets capped, he thinks its funny.

I mean honestly, some people associate the flag with being Southerners, not as a pro-slavery idea.  Then again, some are racists, but we have a right to be racist if we want to.  Judge racists, you don't shoot them because you don't agree...
    [/quote]

irony.  :|
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop

[quote author=neenerneener link=topic=19822.msg1273806#msg1273806 date=1242176875]
    irony.  :|
    [/quote]

hypocrisy...

[/quote]
    I don't see what's so hard to understand here.

I think it's funnier than a guy who has the wrong house getting shot.
    We all have different views I guess. :lol:

I'm not shedding any tears cause some racist douche got shot for loudly being a racist douche. You can try to convince me though, it'll be funny.

I hate guns, but our opinion on who needs shooting couldn't be different.

[quote author=Chompin link=topic=19822.msg1273807#msg1273807 date=1242176921]
    hypocrisy...
    [/quote]

You're doing it wrong.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=19822.msg1273808#msg1273808 date=1242177030]
    I don't see what's so hard to understand here.

I think it's funnier than a guy who has the wrong house getting shot.
    We all have different views I guess. :lol:

I'm not shedding any tears cause some racist douche got shot for loudly being a racist douche. You can try to convince me though, it'll be funny.

I hate guns, but our opinion on who needs shooting couldn't be different.
    [/quote]

This guy was not shouting racist slurs, he was wearing a hat.  The perpetrator started the confrontation and just shot him. 

Sticks and stones, right?

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=19822.msg1273809#msg1273809 date=1242177047]
    You're doing it wrong.
    [/quote]

LOL, you are doing it by the book...

[quote author=Chompin link=topic=19822.msg1273813#msg1273813 date=1242177170]
    This guy was not shouting racist slurs, he was wearing a hat.  The perpetrator started the confrontation and just shot him. 

[/quote]

The fight escalated and the groups exchanged racial slurs. Mitchell reportedly pulled out a handgun and shot Azeff once in the chest, then ran off.

Today's lesson.... Don't call a nigger a nigger. They will shoot you. They have guns and shit.
    Class over. See you kids tomorrow.

[quote author=Chompin link=topic=19822.msg1273815#msg1273815 date=1242177193]
    LOL, you are doing it by the book...
    [/quote]

I meant if I was some gun nut that wanted stricter gun laws for everyone else, then you can call me a hypocrite. I hate guns, but I find it funny when certain people get shot.
    That doesn't make me a hypocrite you nerd.

Stop being a dick. Just try for like 5 minutes. Then we'll work on longer periods of time. It's like training yourself to hold your breath longer. :-D

[quote author=Chompin link=topic=19822.msg1273813#msg1273813 date=1242177170]

[/quote]

But he was from Philadelphia, and wearing the confederate flag, I am going to assume that he was wearing it cause of the racism it can symbolize. I doubt he is proud to be a "southerner" considering he isn't.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=19822.msg1273818#msg1273818 date=1242177365]

Today's lesson.... Don't call a nigger a nigger. They will shoot you. They have guns and shit.

I meant if I was some gun nut that wanted stricter gun laws for everyone else, then you can call me a hypocrite. I hate guns, but I find it funny when certain people get shot.

Stop being a dick. Just try for like 5 minutes. Then we'll work on longer periods of time. It's like training yourself to hold your breath longer. :-D
    [/quote]

The victim walked by, the criminal confronted him...he started the shit, period.

[quote author=Chompin link=topic=19822.msg1273821#msg1273821 date=1242177434]
    The victim walked by, the criminal confronted him...he started the shit, period.
    [/quote]

So what? :lol:

What argument are you having here?

Chompin smited me for being a hypocrite. I don't get it. How does laughing at this kid make me a hypocrite? Explain please....

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=19822.msg1273824#msg1273824 date=1242177559]
    So what? :lol:

What argument are you having here?
    [/quote]

Just pointing out how inconsistent you are.  Someone breaking in a house does not deserve to be shot, but a guy wearing a hat, otherwise minding his own business, getting shot is hilarious.

And you insinuating that being called a racial slur is a good reason to murder someone is just insanity at its finest.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=19822.msg1273818#msg1273818 date=1242177365]

[/quote]

well, ron.  from where i grew up, people that were racist hated blacks because they thought they were all gun toting gangsters.

is that fair?  no.  but what was this guy?  :|  you seem to think its ok for him to just shoot someone because he doesnt like what they said.  if that were the case, you would have been shot 8000 times by now.  :lol:

[/quote]

Just a funny thing. Like if i was going to re-write the bold part. I would have said, "those people" have a right to be racist. I would never have said "we"  I don't know, just a random thought.  :lol:

Yeah, the swastika didn't originate with the nazi party. But I'm not going to get a tattoo of it because it used to represent good luck in some ancient culture. Why? Because of what it morphed into, because of the evil things it represents. Out of respect for the millions of people that suffered.  Same shit with the confederate flag. Yeah it may represent southern pride, but it also represents slavery, oppression and racism.

Any respectable white person with any compassion would not wear or have a confederate flag.

But in relation to this case, this kid just didn't know any better. And the coward is the dude who shot him. Whatever happened to just brawling? 

And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

[quote author=neenerneener link=topic=19822.msg1273831#msg1273831 date=1242177825]
    well, ron.  from where i grew up, people that were racist hated blacks because they thought they were all gun toting gangsters.

is that fair?  no.  but what was this guy?   :|  you seem to think its ok for him to just shoot someone because he doesnt like what they said.  if that were the case, you would have been shot 8000 times by now.  :lol:
    [/quote]

I know who to say what to. And I know the safe distance to say it.
    Need proof? I'm still here. ;-)

He didn't change the guy's mind by shooting him, but you're looking for a deep philosophical conversation, and I'm just laughing at a racist douche getting shot.
    But according to Chompin, that makes me a hypocrite. :lol:

[quote author=Chauncy link=topic=19822.msg1273845#msg1273845 date=1242178824]
    Just a funny thing. Like if i was going to re-write the bold part. I would have said, "those people" have a right to be racist. I would never have said "we"  I don't know, just a random thought.   :lol:

Yeah, the swastika didn't originate with the nazi party. But I'm not going to get a tattoo of it because it used to represent good luck in some ancient culture. Why? Because of what it morphed into, because of the evil things it represents. Out of respect for the millions of people that suffered.  Same shit with the confederate flag. Yeah it may represent southern pride, but it also represents slavery, oppression and racism.

Any respectable white person with any compassion would not wear or have a confederate flag.

But in relation to this case, this kid just didn't know any better. And the coward is the dude who shot him. Whatever happened to just brawling?  
    [/quote]

This isn't a surprise coming from Chomp. Him and his Conservative rants. It's all thinly veiled.

It's hilarious that he wants to jump on my shit now cause I find this shooting funny, but I didn't laugh when some drunk guy who went in the wrong house got shot.

Great point on the Confederate flag Chaunce. I don't care what any southerner says. I see a Rebel flag on something, I read "You're not welcome"

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=19822.msg1273852#msg1273852 date=1242179270]
    I know who to say what to. And I know the safe distance to say it.
    Need proof? I'm still here. ;-)

He didn't change the guy's mind by shooting him, but you're looking for a deep philosophical conversation, and I'm just laughing at a racist douche getting shot.
    But according to Chompin, that makes me a hypocrite. :lol:

This isn't a surprise coming from Chomp. Him and his Conservative rants. It's all thinly veiled.

It's hilarious that he wants to jump on my shit now cause I find this shooting funny, but I didn't laugh when some drunk guy who went in the wrong house got shot.

Great point on the Confederate flag Chaunce. I don't care what any southerner says. I see a Rebel flag on something, I read "You're not welcome"
    [/quote]

what if it were the other way around?  what if this guy was just walking by, a black dude made a racist remark to him or was wearing a shirt that said *fuck crackers* (lol, i dont know.) and the white guy shot him?  what would your opinion be?

as far as the rebel flag goes, well, the guy was from philly...he might not have known the meaning behind it when he lived up north.  however, the article said that he HAD been living in florida for 11 years, and i find it difficult to believe that he wouldn't have picked up on the history of the symbolism of the flag.

the article also said that BOTH groups were flinging racial slurs at each other.  that makes the black kids just as bad as the white kids, in my opinion.  racism is racism, any way you look at it.  its NOT more acceptable for one group to use racist remarks against another.

Wait, I may actually have a change of heart.

What if the shooter thought his life was in danger? Like he may have gotten beaten to death(i mean it was a fight between many people) or he thought the other guy or someone in the group was reaching for something or one of them(possibly the kid shot) may have had a gun?

What if he did it because he was scared for his life? To protect his life and maybe protect his friends?

Just saying. People have the right to defend themselves if they feel their life is in danger right?    :|

Btw, here are the type of things that would happen a lot more if more people carried guns. Simple fights of the past turn into shootings. 

Oh and can't we label this shooter as smart and willing to do whatever it takes to protect himself. I mean he was ready for something like this and it may have saved serious injury and even his life.   
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

Thread Information