Thread: Alex Forster (19) charged in fatal crash, receives 8 months community service

Alex Forster (19) charged in fatal crash, receives 8 months community service

A San Luis Obispo teen who killed a Pismo Beach woman in June 2008 in a head-on collision was sentenced to eight months of community service for the woman’s death.

Forester and girlfriend:

http://www.myspace.com/33617002

Alex John Forster, 18, entered a guilty plea Wednesday to felony vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence for the June 13 crash that left 58-year-old Francheska Rubin dead.

Forster had previously pleaded not guilty to the charge, which carries a six-year maximum prison sentence, but changed his plea as part of deal reached with the District Attorney’s Office.

The teen was driving a 2007 Audi RS4 sedan about 60 mph eastbound on Price Canyon Road in heavy traffic when he attempted to pass the vehicles ahead of him.

Forster was looking out his left window at oncoming traffic and began drifting across the double yellow lines into the path of an oncoming 2001 Kia, according to police reports.

The driver of the Kia swerved and avoided Forster’s car but collided with a fourth vehicle.

Forster was about 2 feet across the double-yellow lines when his vehicle then collided head-on with a 2003 Toyota Avalon driven by Rubin, who died at the scene.

The teen was also under the influence of marijuana at the time of the collision, and police found marijuana concealed in a chocolate bar in the Audi.

Forster was also charged with felony possession of marijuana while driving, which was dropped as part of the plea deal.

As part of the plea bargain, Forster was only supposed to serve six months of community service, but after learning the teen was planning a trip to Europe with his parents, Judge Dodie Harman increased the sentence by two months.

“I don’t know why in a situation like this, I would allow him to leave the country,” Harman said. “I think he needs his time occupied.”

Forster will begin his community service May 11, which includes a 40-hour work week every week until the end of December at Transitions Mental Health Growing Grounds farm in rural San Luis Obispo.

Forster attends school in Pasadena, and finishes his current semester May 8. He was originally set to start the community service in July.

Rubin’s grown children, Vadim Rubin and Mira Rubin Karp, both spoke at Wednesday’s hearing, saying they felt justice wasn’t served with the sentence.

“What happened wasn’t an accident,” Rubin Karp said. “You are a killer and a coward. You are getting away with murder in my eyes. You aren’t supposed to be the lucky one. My mother should have been (the lucky one).”

Vadim Rubin said not 10 minutes goes by in a day that he doesn’t think about talking to his mother, and that her death has been hardest on his father, Benjamin.

“He’s not the same person anymore,” Vadim said. “A whole part of him was hacked off. They were always together and enjoyed the same things.”

The Rubin family immigrated to the United States from Russia in 1980. Francheska and Benjamin had been married for 40 years.

“I can never forgive or forget,” Vadim said. “Justice truly hasn’t been done here.”

8 months community service, that is ridiculous.

Re: Alex Forster (19) charged in fatal crash, receives 8 months community service

8 MONTHS OF COMMUNITY SERVICE !? OMG. I am sorry but that sentence was WAY too lientent. He should have sentenced to the maximum term of 6 years ! This is a travesty. I hope karma bites him in the ass.

Thread Information