Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Swine Flu Outbreak

the color nine

Swine Flu Outbreak

US medical authorities expressed strong concern Friday about an unprecedented multi-strain swine flu outbreak that has killed at least 60 people in Mexico and infected seven people in the United States.
    "It's very obvious that we are very concerned. We've stood up emergency operation centers," Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) spokesman Dave Daigle told AFP.

One major source of concern was that the virus included strains from different types of flu.

"This is the first time that we've seen an avian strain, two swine strains and a human strain," said Daigle, adding that the virus had influenza strains from European and Asian swine, but not from North American swine.

In 11 of 12 reported human cases of swine influenza (H1N1) virus infection in the United States from December 2005 to February 2009, the CDC has documented direct or indirect contact with swine.

But the seven known cases of the previously undetected strain in the United States -- five from California and two from Texas -- did not have contact with pigs. The seven people infected have all recovered from the flu.

"We have determined that this virus is contagious and is spreading from human to human," the CDC said on its website. "However, at this time, we have not determined how easily the virus spreads between people."

Local and state health officials were interviewing not just the people who were infected but the people with whom they had contact, Daigle noted.

Officials were looking for the source of the infection, Daigle said, adding that US health officials were due to receive samples from Mexico that would be tested at a lab at the centers based in Atlanta, Georgia.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has identified swine influenza as a potential source of a human flu pandemic. Pandemics usually occur every 20 years.

"Our experts and others are saying are not saying it's not a matter of whether but when. And we are past due," said Daigle.

Swine flu is caused by type A influenza and does not normally infect humans but cases have been reported among people, especially those exposed to pigs, the CDC said. Most outbreaks take place during the late fall and winter months.

Swine flu symptoms include fever, lethargy, lack of appetite and coughing. Some people who have contracted the virus have also reported runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, according to the CDC.

Human outbreaks of H1N1 swine influenza virus were recorded in the United States in 1976 and 1988, when two deaths were reported, and in 1986. In 1988, a pregnant woman died after contact with sick pigs, the WHO said.

In recent years, the global focus for a pandemic has shifted to the H5N1 bird flu virus, which has spread from poultry to humans, especially in Asia.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.424c5b4c93103272a5d7bbabb402fde a.c1&show_article=1

the color nine

Re: Swine Flu Outbreak

Mexico shut schools and museums and axed public events

Mexican and U.S. health officials searched on Saturday for signs an outbreak of a new flu strain is spreading further, after it killed up to 68 people in Mexico and infected eight in the United States.

As Mexico shut schools and museums and axed public events, global health officials stopped short of declaring a pandemic.

But they warned more cases could come to light, making up a major outbreak, as the flu spreads between people and infected some individuals who had no contact with one another.

The World Health Organization said the virus from 12 of the Mexican patients was the same genetically as a new strain of swine flu, designated H1N1, seen in eight people in California and Texas who later recovered.

The Mexican government said the flu had killed 20 people and it may also be responsible for 48 other deaths. In all, 1,004 suspected cases have been reported nationwide.

Health Minister Jose Angel Cordova, speaking on the evening television news, encouraged people to avoid crowds and wear face masks, noting there was no guarantee that going to get a flu vaccine would help against the new strain.

He said the death rate appeared to have steadied and hospitals in the past few days had not seen the exponential rise in the number of people infected that many had feared.

Genetic analysis shows the flu strain is a never-before-seen mixture of swine, human and avian viruses.

The fact most of the dead were aged between 25 and 45 was seen as a worrying sign linked to pandemics, as seasonal flu tends to be more deadly among the elderly and the very young.

"We realize the seriousness of this problem," Mexican President Felipe Calderon told health officials on Friday.

MORE CASES COULD EMERGE

In California, Dr. Gil Chavez, director of the Center for Infectious Diseases at the California Department of Public Health and the state's chief epidemiologist, said many more cases could come to light as patients are tested. "The more we look the more we are likely to find," he said.

In New York City, health officials were investigating what had sickened scores of students who fell ill with flu-like symptoms in a Queens high school on Thursday and Friday. The symptoms were reported as mild and a city health official said he could not speculate about which flu strain was responsible.

The U.S. government said it was taking the situation seriously and monitoring for any new developments.

more
    http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE53N22820090425

the color nine

DECLARED: PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY

JANET: EVENTS DO NOT WARRANT SCREENING OF INCOMING TRAVELERS...
    'NO EVIDENCE' OF BIO-TERROR...

CDC RECOMMENDS PLANNING FOR SCHOOL CLOSURES...

Positive: NYC students...

WHO: Swine flu could mutate to 'more dangerous' strain...

White House to detail govt response
    Flu fears prompt quarantine plans...

Mexico City residents staying at home...

WHO declares international concern...

CLOSE TO 1,200 SUSPECTED CASES...

Russia Suspends Imports of Meat From Mexico, Some U.S. States...
    2 cases found in Kansas...

New swine flu likely widespread...
    Asia on alert...

10 New Zealand students in scare...

Mideast First: Israeli man hospitalized on suspicions...

Zombie apocalypse.
    http://formspring.me/atm142 - To stare into the abyss is to invite the abyss to stare into you.

:2thescream: :2thescream: i'm scared!!!

This kind of thing really scares the crap out of me. 

This scares me because it's cherry harvest season here soon.  :2huh:

This stays pretty updated:
    http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/investigation.htm

They're closing a bunch of schools in Texas to avoid spreading the flu.

the color nine

[quote author=dogday link=topic=19586.msg1259673#msg1259673 date=1240793131]

[/quote]

I'm ready, bring it.

It's a PIGDEMIC.  Hit the panic button and run for the swine-free hills.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=1064847750 90296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950&ll=39.548397 ,-104.873385&spn=62.487058,88.330078&z=4

the color nine

[quote author=HyperU2 link=topic=19586.msg1259710#msg1259710 date=1240795257]
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=1064847750 90296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950&ll=39.548397 ,-104.873385&spn=62.487058,88.330078&z=4
    [/quote]

Nice!

Thanks Mexico!  :2angry:

Indooroopilly, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Two cases in QLD! Aaah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap-n Meow
    TPT is more caramel. She's sweet and so smooth she'll slide a finger in your butthole.

Mmm...it's like a Darwinian restaurant.

"Welcome to Natural Selection can I take your order?"

"Yeah, I'll have the Baconator, the Chicken McFuckits and a Diet Coke."

"Is Diet Pepsi alright?"

"Yeah I guess."

"Would you like sauce with your McFuckits?"

"Yeah, give me some OMGWTFBBQ sauce."

"Alright sir your total is 6 25 year olds, pull around please."

Yes, you must all suffer for the shit that pops into my head. 

I'm sure I have this. I'm the most paranoid person on earth. I know I am dying of this as I type.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Now featuring creatures. Creature Feature's Avatar

My uncle is a butcher and ended up with it...then he gave it to his wife, then the grandmother that lives with them. Then they let us know while we visited them. ugg

Headlines, "maybe we need to rethink, edition"

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/texas-legislator-defends-perry-secession-comments-2009-04-17.html

Texas to Succeed from the USA?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/DN-flusider_26tex.ART.State.Edition2.4a91400.html

Texas Gov. Perry seeks anti-viral treatment for swine flu for Texas

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/4/26/724827/-Republicans-Stripped-Pandemic-Flu-Preparedness-From-Stimulus

Republicans Stripped Pandemic Flu Preparedness From Stimulus

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/04/bobby-jindal-and-the-volcano.html

Bobby Jindal -- Instead of monitoring volcanoes, what Congress should be monitoring is the eruption of spending in Washington, D.C.

http://newsminer.com/news/2009/apr/05/sen-murkowski-asks-us-volcano-network/
    Sen. Murkowski (R) asks for U.S. volcano network
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=19586.msg1259841#msg1259841 date=1240802893]
    I'm sure I have this. I'm the most paranoid person on earth. I know I am dying of this as I type.
    [/quote]

I will catch it on my flight home Thursday...    That is if they haven't stopped non-essential air travel by then... 

It scares me, too, Natasha. 
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

[quote author=nestlequikie link=topic=19586.msg1259940#msg1259940 date=1240811309]
    I will catch it on my flight home Thursday...    That is if they haven't stopped non-essential air travel by then...  

It scares me, too, Natasha. 
    [/quote]
    meh.  Nothing to be scared about.  It's probably just another false alarm.  And if it is another world wide pandemic on the order of 1918, well, with luck you get it early while there are still beds at the hospital and all the medics haven't gotten sick or flaked out yet. And before the monster gains it's full strength.

I've been reading up on 1918...

No one knows for sure where the 1918 flu came from or how it turned into such a killer strain. All that is known is that it began as an ordinary flu but then it changed. It infected people in the spring of 1918, sickening its victims for about three days with chills and fever, but rarely killing them. Then it disappeared, returning in the fall with the power of a juggernaut.
    This is a great article, go, read.

http://www.cnn.com/books/beginnings/9911/flu/
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

[quote author=puzzld link=topic=19586.msg1260027#msg1260027 date=1240836257]
    meh.  Nothing to be scared about.  It's probably just another false alarm.  And if it is another world wide pandemic on the order of 1918, well, with luck you get it early while there are still beds at the hospital and all the medics haven't gotten sick or flaked out yet. And before the monster gains it's full strength.

I've been reading up on 1918...

This is a great article, go, read.

http://www.cnn.com/books/beginnings/9911/flu/
    [/quote]

We had a thing at work last year about pandemics and how they work. Not interested, thanks. In being part of the pandemic that is, not about your link. I am interested in your link.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

oh god........ it's spreading

MADRID – Spain's Health Ministry confirmed the country's first case of swine flu on Monday and said another 20 people are suspected of having the disease. It was the first confirmed swine flu case in Europe and the first outside of North America.
    :2sad:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090427/...pain_swine_flu

the color nine

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=19586.msg1259841#msg1259841 date=1240802893]
    [/quote]

I get everything :( and because I have chronic illnesses I get it ten times worse.  I am in a panic about having to go to the docs on Wed with all those sick folks.  My husband brought home some masks from work and told me to go Michael Jackson style.  :lol:

Thread Information