Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Drunk college student killed when attempting to enter wrong house

Drunk college student killed when attempting to enter wrong house

This is a big controversy in sodak right now.  The guy was so wasted he didn't know his own house and attempted to break into a neighbors house.  The neighbor shot him when he attempted to break in. 

Brookings police believe a South Dakota State University senior was intoxicated when he was shot to death this morning while trying to enter a Brookings home two houses from his own.

Brad Odens, a 23-year-old electronics engineering technology student from Sioux Falls, was walking south toward his home at about 2 a.m. from a downtown bar about three blocks away. Intoxication may have been a factor in confusing the house at 129 S. Main Ave. from his own at 143 S. Main Ave, said Capt. Jeff Miller, who is leading the ongoing investigation.

“The door was locked, and he woke up the resident while trying to enter,” Miller said. “He was warned by the resident not to enter the home, and that he had a gun inside, but the victim was pretty insistent that it was his home and was making threats to the resident.” The resident, whose name has not been released because there are no charges filed, lives alone.

Miller said that Odens was warned by the 28-year-old male resident when he was inside the front entryway trying to enter a locked door to the main part of the house. After being warned several times, Odens broke the window on the upper part of main door. He was shot by the resident after breaking the window, Miller said.
    http://www.argusleader.com/article/20090410/NEWS/904100322&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

Facebook memorial http://www.facebook.com/s.php?q=Brad+Odens&init=q&sid=76ea2fa77867 bc6340a86675ad52d0fd#/group.php?sid=76ea2fa77867bc6340a86675ad52d0fd&amp ;gid=80921123901&ref=search

Re: Drunk college student killed when attempting to enter wrong house

... What's the controversy?

he was warned not to enter

He said he wanted to come in and have some shots.

That he was a drunk college student and that people should turn them away peacefully.  Some quotes from the Sioux Falls paper

"It's pretty sad that a person thinks they have to kill a man for coming into their house. How cowardly do you have to be to pull something like this off. Note to brookings residents: If a college kid stumbles into your house by mistake, try laughing it off and pointing him in the right direction, instead of murdering him. "

"when i was a kid living in brookings and we had lots of college kids living by the house we always had kidfs come in to the house after 2 am and we never shot them. they were always told that they have the wrong house and they need to leave and they did leave the house. when they were coming into the house that i use to live in they have been drinking alot."

"This story is so SAD. This was completely AVOIDABLE!!! Call the cops!!! We are talking about Brookings, SD. I'm a SDSU grad and was raised in SD, the safest place in the world! This shooter needs to live in a serious crime ridden area. Then he might realize a drunk college student is NOT that threatening. . . . SO SAD"

Wow, I'd hate to live in Souix Falls.  Sounds like a bunch of idiots.

Clearly this guy was pretty scared to have some stranger trying relentlessly to enter his house, making threats, and not backing down after several warnings.

I doubt he was psyched to blow some dude's brains out all over his floor and wall.

[quote author=mowt link=topic=19406.msg1245268#msg1245268 date=1239424316]

Clearly this guy was pretty scared to have some stranger trying relentlessly to enter his house, making threats, and not backing down after several warnings.

I doubt he was psyched to blow some dude's brains out all over his floor and wall.
    [/quote]
    :roll:

It's too bad a drunk idiot met up with an idiot with a gun. Brookings is a sleepy college town.  If there is a ruckus, it is usually caused by a drunk student.  People know that.  The town does have police.  If you call them, they come pretty quickly. Maybe there are extenuating circumstances but it seems like this could have been avoided. 

Too bad.  One young man is dead.  And someone else is going to have to live with knowing s/he took a life, when it could have been avoided.

RIP Brad. Too bad you couldn't hold your liquor.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I'm not sure I'd call him and idiot for shooting him.

[quote author=puzzld link=topic=19406.msg1245300#msg1245300 date=1239428767]
    :roll:

It's too bad a drunk idiot met up with an idiot with a gun. Brookings is a sleepy college town.  If there is a ruckus, it is usually caused by a drunk student.  People know that.  The town does have police.  If you call them, they come pretty quickly. Maybe there are extenuating circumstances but it seems like this could have been avoided. 

Too bad.  One young man is dead.  And someone else is going to have to live with knowing s/he took a life, when it could have been avoided.

[/quote]

When you're at the door, prepping yourself to have the door broken open, you probably aren't thinking that you have tons of time to go after the phone.  I agree that it's sad some dumb kid died, but I can in no way fault a man who was woken up in the middle of the night, scared, and had to make a quick decision.

I've had to do it  before, stick my big ass gun in someones face and that person was breaking in.
    I figure if you know I'm home and youre still coming through my door I'm blasting.

[quote author=mowt link=topic=19406.msg1245304#msg1245304 date=1239429154]
    When you're at the door, prepping yourself to have the door broken open, you probably aren't thinking that you have tons of time to go after the phone.  I agree that it's sad some dumb kid died, but I can in no way fault a man who was woken up in the middle of the night, scared, and had to make a quick decision.
    [/quote]

It's just an impression... But it seems like there was a fair amount of back and forth between the two.  I dunno.  If I shot every drunk that came pounding on my door when I lived in a college town... Well let's just say me and Billy the Kid would be mentioned in the same breath.

It's not like our shooter was some little old lady, or some scared teen-ager.  He was probably a fellow student.  
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

the color nine

I lived in a two college town and this happened all the time, drunk or some other chemically induced people coming into homes.  Some regret that they didn't have a gun to prevent what happened to them and then there were cases when it wasn't a violent situation.  You just don't know what the mindset is of the person breaking in. 

[quote author=the color nine link=topic=19406.msg1245435#msg1245435 date=1239461034]
    I lived in a two college town and this happened all the time, drunk or some other chemically induced people coming into homes.  Some regret that they didn't have a gun to prevent what happened to them and then there were cases when it wasn't a violent situation.  You just don't know what the mindset is of the person breaking in. 
    [/quote]
    True.  I guess I would feel safer dealing with the drunk than I would with the person whose waving the gun around.  (God.  Now I sound like Ron) 

It's just that I know Brookings.  The whole town is less populated than many university campuses. It's really hard for me to believe that the only recourse our shooter had was to kill this drunk.  I tend to think deadly force should be the last resort, not the first, regardless of whose hand the gun is in. 

i bet you he wouldnt have shot if it was a naked drunk girl asking for some cookies.

What I don't understand is why wouldn't he call the police? He obviously had time to call them because it said he warned him multiple times. I don't own a gun and I never would but if I heard someone trying to break into my house the first thing I would do is call the police.
    Oh nooooooo your tires all flat and junk.

[quote author=HyperU2 link=topic=19406.msg1245261#msg1245261 date=1239423755]
    He said he wanted to come in and have some shots.
    [/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I tend to think if you get so wasted you can't remember what house you live in, it is probably your fault if you die in some manner.  If it wasn't the neighbor shooting him, it would have been the alcohol poisoning, or the fatty liver that did him in...or something.

[quote author=puzzld link=topic=19406.msg1245300#msg1245300 date=1239428767]
    [s]:roll:

Too bad.  One young man is dead.  And someone else is going to have to live with knowing s/he took a life, when it could have been avoided. [/s]

[/quote]

fixed...

personal responsibility.  While this is unfortunate, no one forced him to get so drunk he committed a home invasion.  Being hammered is not an excuse for any crime or action committed by someone, and this guy was within his legal right to protect himself.  I mean seriously, with all the nutbags running around, how could this person know what his intentions were?

I say better safe than sorry. 

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

[quote author=mowt link=topic=19406.msg1245268#msg1245268 date=1239424316]

[/quote]

I disagree.
    Asshole was waiting to shoot someone, and now he's not even being charged for it. I wish karma was real cause this dude needs to bite a fuckin fat one. Asshole.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=19406.msg1245569#msg1245569 date=1239474897]
    I disagree.
    Asshole was waiting to shoot someone, and now he's not even being charged for it. I wish karma was real cause this dude needs to bite a fuckin fat one. Asshole.
    [/quote]

Why should he be charged?  He was defending himself. 

[quote author=Chompin link=topic=19406.msg1245576#msg1245576 date=1239475098]
    Why should he be charged?  He was defending himself. 
    [/quote]

Bullshit.

[quote author=Chompin link=topic=19406.msg1245550#msg1245550 date=1239474239]
    fixed...

personal responsibility.  While this is unfortunate, no one forced him to get so drunk he committed a home invasion.  Being hammered is not an excuse for any crime or action committed by someone, and this guy was within his legal right to protect himself.  I mean seriously, with all the nutbags running around, how could this person know what his intentions were?

I say better safe than sorry. 
    [/quote]

i hope you werent one of those people that was defending that the dude in NYC subway got his legs lopped off by the subway train.
    i cant remember.

this post is good for that thread as well.

[quote author=Chompin link=topic=19406.msg1245547#msg1245547 date=1239474070]
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

I tend to think if you get so wasted you can't remember what house you live in, it is probably your fault if you die in some manner.  If it wasn't the neighbor shooting him, it would have been the alcohol poisoning, or the fatty liver that did him in...or something.
    [/quote]

do you know how many times in college, myself or friends have tried to enter the wrong houses/hotel rooms after drinking. just 3 weeks ago some guy tried getting to my apt, he was drunk and got off on the wrong floor. i've done it once too, and i was sober.

good thing i don't live in a place where shooting drunk people is acceptable.

[quote author=aquatwins link=topic=19406.msg1245302#msg1245302 date=1239429068]
    I'm not sure I'd call him and idiot for shooting him.
    [/quote]

I would.

Was the drunk guy actually putting this guy in fear of his life? For me, that's the only time you should be shooting someone.
    Anyone who says onions make you cry has clearly never been hit in the face with a turnip.

I'm sure it didn't go down the way the guy is describing it either.   :|

Pretty sure there was just shooting right away.  
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

[quote author=delta9 link=topic=19406.msg1245591#msg1245591 date=1239475544]
    do you know how many times in college, myself or friends have tried to enter the wrong houses/hotel rooms after drinking. just 3 weeks ago some guy tried getting to my apt, he was drunk and got off on the wrong floor. i've done it once too, and i was sober.

good thing i don't live in a place where shooting drunk people is acceptable.
    [/quote]

Seriously. If you come to the states, avoid the south. Oh, and the midwest.
    Oh fuck it, just try to stay in the cities.

And Chompin
    "I mean seriously, with all the nutbags running around, how could this person know what his intentions were?"
    What is it with you the-sky-is-falling people? You guys are afraid of your own fuckin shadows.
    And you think that 'shots' joke was funny? You guys are something else.

[quote author=Chauncy link=topic=19406.msg1245594#msg1245594 date=1239475672]
    I'm sure it didn't go down the way the guy is describing it either.   :|

Pretty sure there was just shooting right away.  
    [/quote]

BINGO!

Thread Information