Thread: Funeral home accused of cutting off man's legs to make him fit into his coffin

Senior Member A Midnight Dreary's Avatar

Funeral home accused of cutting off man's legs to make him fit into his coffin

Police have launched an investigation after claims an American man's legs were severed so he could fit into his coffin.

Investigators in South Carolina exhumed the body of James Hines, who was 6ft5in, yesterday.

They described what they found as 'undesirable evidence' - and said nothing more. The coroner refused to confirm what they had seen.

Mr Hines - a minister - died in 2004 of skin cancer.

His widow, Ruth Hines, told local media: 'According to the measurements on the casket, and the funeral director, we asked him, 'Was this suitable for his length?' and he said, 'Yes that will be perfect.'

But when an employee of the funeral home - Cave Funeral Services - contacted media police to claim extreme measures were taken, the investigation was launched.

'I'm just going through quite a bit,' Mrs Hines said. 'It's like starting all over again, and it's left me with hurt and numbness.'

She said that her family has used Cave Funeral Services for a number of years.

Coroner Hayzen Black told local media that officials had 'found some causes for further investigation'.

'It's heart-wrenching,' a spokeswoman for Mr Hines' church told media.

'There's nothing bad you can say about James Hines,' she added. 'Everyone knew him as this huge, lovable man who was devoted to the church, his family and the community.'

Mr Hines's body has now been reburied in a different coffin. The funeral home has declined to comment.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1166680/Funeral-home-accused-cutting-mans-legs-make-fit-coffin.html

Re: Funeral home accused of cutting off man's legs to make him fit into his coffin

I saw this article in my morning paper and was going to post it here tonight too..

[quote author=A Midnight Dreary link=topic=19295.msg1235354#msg1235354 date=1238703395]
    [b]...we asked him, 'Was this suitable for his length?'[/quote]

Heh.  Length. 

Rest in [s]pieces[/s] peace, James Hines.
    A nap is only nice when it's a luxury, not a necessity.

Re: Funeral home accused of cutting off man's legs to make him fit into his coffin

[quote author=azkarisma link=topic=19295.msg1235542#msg1235542 date=1238717620]
    I saw this article in my morning paper and was going to post it here tonight too..

Heh.  Length.   

Rest in [s]pieces[/s] peace, James Hines.
    [/quote]

Not nice!  :|

This was an episode of "Tales from the Crypt"

So they cut off his legs, big deal. He's gonna be worm food/mush/dust in a year anyway.  :roll:
    <br /><br />Funk all night.

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar

[quote author=DaGr link=topic=19295.msg1236127#msg1236127 date=1238766577]
    So they cut off his legs, big deal. He's gonna be worm food/mush/dust in a year anyway.&nbsp; :roll:
    [/quote]

i think there are some religions where things like autopsies, embalming, and those kinds of things are not allowed.&nbsp; having part of the legs removed might fall into that realm of thought... it could also be considered abuse of a corpse.

and anyway, its just disrespectful.&nbsp; why couldnt they just give them a coffin that was the correct size?&nbsp;

you might feel differently if it were your husband/parent/child in there.&nbsp; :|
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

I think the fact that my husband/parent/child is in there would be enough to make me crazy, keeping his legs attached doesn't mean he's coming back. He'll still be dead, I'll be depressed no matter what, and he will still be worm food in a year.

Death is final, we are all just stardust, and the human shell is only temporary.

I do agree on the religious aspect, but if that were the case, she would have made specific arrangements to make sure his body is kept intact...but in most religions practiced by the West, religious doctrine states that the body is temporary and the soul eternal. Having your legs cut off is arbitrary.

She should still sue, though. They should have notified her before just doing it.
    <br /><br />Funk all night.

Re: Funeral home accused of cutting off man's legs to make him fit into his coff

He was a tall gentleman.

The man died 5 years ago.&nbsp; There are lots more details in this article:

[size=11pt]Funeral home could be closed by state on Friday[/size]

Posted: 5:47 PM Apr 2, 2009
    Reporter: Gene Petriello

ALLENDALE CTY, S.C. --- A source close to the investigation of a man's legs possibly being cut off before being buried, tells News 12 the state licensing department hopes to close Cave Funeral Services on Friday.

Investigators are looking into criminal charges, after digging up the body on Tuesday and finding &quot;undesirable evidence.&quot;

News 12 is learning that late Thursday afternoon, investigators took their case to the Solicitor's Office for review. We're told right now they are not seeking a warrant because there isn't sufficient evidence. But, that could change in the near future.

James Hines died in 2004 he was about 6'7&quot; tall. &quot;He was amazing,&quot; says his wife Ruth Ann Hines.

It's not just losing her husband of 31 years that was painful for her. &quot;It's like I'm grieving all over again,&quot; she says. That, after her husband's body was dug up by state investigators on Tuesday nearly 5 years after he died and she was starting to move on.

&quot;Very stressful, very painful,&quot; says Ruth Ann. &quot;There's a lot of hurt behind it.&quot;

Ruth Ann tells us James was an R&amp;B star for nearly 30 years, had 5 children, 9 grandchildren and a wife that loved him very much. &quot;He loved me,&quot; says Ruth Ann. &quot;He treated me like a queen and I treated him like a king and that's the way a husband and a wife should be.&quot;

After battling skin cancer, James passed away in 2004 and that's when the rumors started. Those rumors that went through the town said his legs were cut off and his coffin was just too small. That happening just days before he was buried behind the church where he preached.

&quot;I was in denial for a long time,&quot; says Ruth Ann.

On Thursday, she went with News 12 to visit her husband for the first time since his body was dug up. State investigators won't confirm they are coming to close the Funeral Home on Friday, nor will they say James' legs were cut off. All they will tell us is they found &quot;undesirable evidence&quot; when they dug up the body.

&quot;We have always used Mr. Cave for our family service,&quot; says Ruth Ann. &quot;They always treated us well.&quot;

But, this time may be different. We went to Caves and they told us to leave the property. They even called the police on us while we were there.

Ruth Ann on Thursday said goodbye to her husband and love again, as this investigation is only beginning. &quot;There was nothing phony about him,&quot; she tells us. &quot;He was just a good man.&quot;

This whole investigation started after a person who worked for Cave's called the South Carolina Licensing Board for Funeral Homes and told them the funeral home cut off the legs of Mr. Hines. That worker signed an affidavit saying what he told them was true. We did talk to him on the phone on Thursday, but he did not want to comment. Nor did he say whether he was currently employed by Cave's.

Ruth Ann did tell me her family noticed something had been wrong with the casket they ordered for James before he was buried. She says the daughter told Ruth Ann that her dad was bigger than the size of the casket. Ruth Ann adds, several other families members, friends and strangers came up to her in the past few years to tell them of what they heard. She says, she did not notice it when her husband was buried because she was grieving.

Ruth Ann says they picked out a casket for James with the funeral home that fit his taller body.
    RIP James

I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar

[quote author=DaGr link=topic=19295.msg1236147#msg1236147 date=1238767660]
    I think the fact that my husband/parent/child is in there would be enough to make me crazy, keeping his legs attached doesn't mean he's coming back. He'll still be dead, I'll be depressed no matter what, and he will still be worm food in a year.

Death is final, we are all just stardust, and the human shell is only temporary.

I do agree on the religious aspect, but if that were the case, she would have made specific arrangements to make sure his body is kept intact...but in most religions practiced by the West, religious doctrine states that the body is temporary and the soul eternal. Having your legs cut off is arbitrary.

She should still sue, though. They should have notified her before just doing it.
    [/quote]

yeah, but having your loved one die, and then their body being desecrated on top of that?&nbsp; its like rubbing salt in their wounds.&nbsp; i guess we'll have to agree to disagree about that.

they just shouldnt have done it in the first place, unless she gave consent.&nbsp; which is a weird thing to consent to, but whatever.&nbsp; or they should have just used an appropriately sized coffin.&nbsp; they paid for a service; for their loved one to be put in a coffin and buried.&nbsp; not hacked up, put in a coffin, and buried.&nbsp; :|
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

if the body won't fit,

you must...cut the legs off in order to make it fit in the coffin properly.

[quote author=FUPA link=topic=19295.msg1236227#msg1236227 date=1238771290]
    if the body won't fit,

you must...cut the legs off in order to make it fit in the coffin properly.
    [/quote]

I'm short.&nbsp; This story makes me hopeful that I can get a mini-coffin (like that Fantasy Island guy) and get a discount.&nbsp; I could use the money.
    I shoulda worn a helmet

Re: Funeral home accused of cutting off man's legs to make him fit into his coff

^^^^&nbsp; :2eyesbleed:

Yay!&nbsp; Frick and Frack are back!!&nbsp;

Y'all just talk amongst yourselves.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

[quote author=nestlequikie link=topic=19295.msg1236238#msg1236238 date=1238771710]
    ^^^^&nbsp; :2eyesbleed:

Yay!&nbsp; Frick and Frack are back!!&nbsp;

Y'all just talk amongst yourselves.
    [/quote]

^^^^^ ok ^^^^^
    I shoulda worn a helmet

Thread Information