Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Missing girl Sandra Cantu found dead

Re: Missing girl Sandra Cantu found dead

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/04/11/...est/index.html

(CNN) -- Relatives of slain California 8-year-old Sandra Cantu expressed "shock" Saturday at news that a neighbor -- a Sunday school teacher whose daughter was a playmate of Sandra's -- was arrested in the girl's death.

Melissa Huckaby was charged with kidnapping and murder in the death of 8-year-old Sandra Cantu.

"Just utter shock and disbelief," Sandra's aunt, Angie Chavez, told CNN affiliate KOVR. "I can't imagine a mother doing this to a child."

Melissa Huckaby, 28, was booked into the San Joaquin County Jail early Saturday and faces charges of kidnapping and murder in the death of Sandra in Tracy, California.

Sandra was last seen March 27 in the Tracy mobile home park where she lived with her family -- the same mobile home park where Huckaby lives.

The girl's body was found Monday, stuffed into a suitcase submerged in a pond at a dairy farm.

"We have to live the rest of our lives without Sandra. [Huckaby] is in jail. She can still see her little girl grow up," Sandra's uncle, Joe Chavez, told KOVR.

He said the family is "shell-shocked" and hopes that in time they can learn to trust people again.

"Who can you trust at this point?" he said. "Who do you know?"

A police spokesman told reporters Saturday he "couldn't begin to theorize" a motive for Sandra's death.

Huckaby is the granddaughter of Clifford Lane Lawless, pastor at the Clover Road Baptist Church, which was searched as part of the investigation, Tracy police Sgt. Tony Sheneman told reporters. Huckaby taught Sunday school at the church, he said.

In addition, Huckaby's 5-year-old daughter was close friends with Sandra, who often played at Huckaby's home.

Earlier Saturday, Sheneman said he did not believe Huckaby had retained an attorney.

In a Friday interview with the Tracy Press newspaper, Huckaby acknowledged owning the black rolling suitcase that held Sandra's body, but said she reported it missing the day before the girl's body was found. She said it disappeared the same day the girl was last seen.

"There's been a lot of speculation on the news about what happened to my suitcase," she told the newspaper. "It's not my granddad's. It's mine, and someone took it."

Police said Huckaby lives in the same mobile home complex where Sandra lived with her family; the Tracy Press reported Huckaby lives with her grandparents.

Police noted "inconsistencies" between comments Huckaby made to the newspaper and a previous statement she gave authorities, Sheneman said. It was one reason police asked her Friday to come to the station to be interviewed again. She drove there about 6 p.m. Friday, he said.

Authorities believe Huckaby lied about the suitcase being missing, Sheneman said.

Asked whether authorities believe Sandra's death was planned, Sheneman said the question is "not something I can answer right now" but "we do have an indication." He said authorities have found where they believe the girl was killed, but would not divulge that location to reporters.

"I couldn't begin to theorize what her motive is," Sheneman said of Huckaby.

During the Friday night interview with police, Huckaby was "very relaxed for a bit, and then she became very emotional, and then she became relaxed again" before appearing resigned, Sheneman said. He declined to say whether Huckaby had confessed, but said "she revealed enough information that we had probable cause to arrest her."

Huckaby was booked into the San Joaquin County Jail about 3:25 a.m. (6:25 a.m. ET), according to the county sheriff's Web site. She is set to appear in court Tuesday.

Police took Huckaby into custody about 11:15 p.m. Friday (2:15 a.m. ET Saturday), Sheneman said, but she chose to continue talking with them for more than two hours.

Authorities told Sandra's family of the arrest about 2:15 a.m. local time, he said. "They were in disbelief."  Watch neighbors remember slain girl ยป

Police have had contact with Huckaby before, but she does not have a record of violence, Sheneman said, but did not elaborate. He said no other arrests are expected in Sandra's death.

Citing court records, the Tracy Press reported Huckaby pleaded no contest January 9 to a felony charge of second-degree commercial burglary and a misdemeanor charge of property theft with a prior theft, burglary or robbery.

A criminal complaint says she was jailed in Los Angeles County on a property theft conviction in 2006 and that she attempted to steal from a store in November 2008. According to the complaint, she is on probation in San Joaquin County and is due back in court April 17.

Asked about the court records, Huckaby told the newspaper it wasn't her and that she did not know why the address and cell phone number in the court documents match her own. "I don't know what to say," she said. "That's not me."

Police believe that by the time Sandra was reported missing, she was already dead, Tracy Police Chief Janet Thiessen told reporters Saturday.

"There was some speculation early on that [the suspect] would be a man," Sheneman said Saturday. "It's unusual for a woman -- statistically, according to the FBI -- to be involved in anything like this."

The day Sandra was last reported seen, she returned home from school, kissed her mother and left to play with a friend who lives nearby.

A short time later, wearing a pink Hello Kitty T-shirt and black leggings, she left to go to another friend's home, according to a family spokeswoman. Police said the girl's clothing helped them identify her body.

Huckaby told the Tracy Press that Sandra stopped by her home that day to ask if she could play with Huckaby's daughter, but Huckaby refused because she wanted her daughter to pick up her toys. Sandra left for another friend's home, Huckaby told the newspaper.

How Sandra died has not been made public. An autopsy was conducted earlier in the week, but CNN affiliate KRON-TV said results are not expected for weeks. Thiessen said Saturday any autopsy information as well as search warrants filed in the case remain under seal.

looks like they're pretty sure she did it.. RIP Sandra 

Vague, but i guess it answers my question.

I'm not sure she did do this. The suitcase is circumstantial as it is plausable it was missing at the time of the murder. I keep reading all the news stories and there is nothing they are saying about her that is not rumor, or solid evidence.

Someone steals a suitcase outside my house and puts a body in it, then throws it in a lake, doesn't mean I killed the person.

[quote author=wheresthebeef link=topic=19249.msg1246067#msg1246067 date=1239497499]
    I'm not sure she did do this. The suitcase is circumstantial as it is plausable it was missing at the time of the murder. I keep reading all the news stories and there is nothing they are saying about her that is not rumor, or solid evidence.

Someone steals a suitcase outside my house and puts a body in it, then throws it in a lake, doesn't mean I killed the person.
    [/quote]
    I would say there's considerable evidence because they stated they aren't looking for anyone else in relation to this. And they were hyper focused on the Pastor's family from the get go.

They're not telling us everything. .... ugh, why would she do this? I wish we had the whole story. They still haven't given us a motive.
    [quote author=Olivia link=topic=7606.msg1221694#msg1221694 date=1237710360]<br /> She is in the death queue.<br />[/quote]<br />You got me all wrong.

Wait?! I thought I read somewhere there will be more arrests for her murder. I am going to have to see if I can find it.

[quote author=Laurie_khikhi link=topic=19249.msg1246098#msg1246098 date=1239499340]
    Wait?! I thought I read somewhere there will be more arrests for her murder. I am going to have to see if I can find it.
    [/quote]

&quot;Asked whether authorities believe Sandra's death was planned, Sheneman said the question is &quot;not something I can answer right now&quot; but &quot;we do have an indication.&quot; He said authorities have found where they believe the girl was killed, but would not divulge that location to reporters.&quot;

see a few posts up there's a linked story. Seems like they're gonna stop with the arrests. Reading the linked story it just seems like this woman is mentally off.&nbsp;

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=7606.msg1221694#msg1221694 date=1237710360]<br /> She is in the death queue.<br />[/quote]<br />You got me all wrong.

[quote author=vaga link=topic=19249.msg1246103#msg1246103 date=1239499626]
    &quot;Asked whether authorities believe Sandra's death was planned, Sheneman said the question is &quot;not something I can answer right now&quot; but &quot;we do have an indication.&quot; He said authorities have found where they believe the girl was killed, but would not divulge that location to reporters.&quot;

see a few posts up there's a linked story. Seems like they're gonna stop with the arrests. Reading the linked story it just seems like this woman is mentally off.&nbsp;

[/quote]

yea i looked for a minute. I couldnt find it. I cant imagine why she did it. I wonder if she walked into the house and saw something and then the chic snapped. I dont know..sad sad case.

Could she have some sort of Munchhausen thing going on?&nbsp;

She was a loving mother to her ailing child, she taught Bible study at her grandfather's church, and her 5-year-old daughter played a lot with 8-year-old Sandra Cantu and other kids on the block.

Until Saturday, that was the main impression neighbors and family had of 28-year-old Melissa Huckaby.

What they apparently never suspected was that the brown-haired single mother with the quiet smile might kill an 8-year-old girl, then stuff the body in a suitcase and hide it in a pond - but that's just what Tracy police say Huckaby did.

&quot;She must have had a double life, because she seemed sweet and the Bible study kids love her,&quot; said Carlos Martinez, who lives in the Orchard Estates Mobile Home Park near Huckaby. &quot;This is a total shock.&quot;

Huckaby's relatives said they were bewildered at the concept that the churchgoing woman they've seen get down on her knees to play with children and lead them in singing religious songs such as &quot;Deep and Wide&quot; would do what police say she has.

&quot;I've never seen her truly scold her daughter,&quot; said Cynthia Browning of Manteca (San Joaquin County), Huckaby's great-aunt. &quot;She is soft-spoken. I trust my grandchildren with her. I don't believe she could do this.&quot;

Huckaby lives with her grandparents because she suffers from severe allergies and wanted relatives' help to be able to have more time &quot;to take better care of her daughter, who is super-thin and gets sick a lot,&quot; Browning said. She was named &quot;class mother&quot; of her daughter's preschool, friends said.

Along the way, however, Huckaby has had legal problems.

She was convicted in 2006 in Los Angeles County of property theft, and was due in court Friday to be sentenced for a local January felony burglary conviction, according to court records. In 2002, the Sutter Tracy Community Hospital won a $10,000 civil judgment against her for owed bills; she declared bankruptcy the next year.

&quot;She is a good churchgoing girl, but she has had her challenges,&quot; said her great-aunt.

Neighbors said the only thing that struck them as odd about Huckaby was that instead of sending her child over to other kids' houses to play, she always insisted on playmates coming to her house. Huckaby wasn't overly chummy with everyone on the street, they said, but always cordial when approached.

The house, neighbors said, is a neat, inviting place where Huckaby and her daughter live with her grandparents, 77-year-old Lane Lawless - pastor of the nearby Clover Road Baptist Church, where Huckaby teaches - and Connie Lawless, a former elected member of the local Republican Central Committee. In this trim park of beige-toned mobile homes, nothing stuck out as unusual about the place. The family - including her parents, who live in Southern California and sing in their church choirs - is respected.

&quot;Look, her grandfather is a preacher; there are some good influences in that family,&quot; said Dwight Porsche of Tracy. &quot;This makes no sense at all. I mean, who would do that to a baby?&quot;

Huckaby's only occupation was the Bible study job, relatives said. The Baptist church has a small membership, and Sandra's family said they were not involved with the church.

After Sandra disappeared March 27, Huckaby attended a community vigil to offer condolences, but evidently was not heavily involved in the 10-day search effort. After the girl's body was discovered Monday, she spent several days at the Tracy hospital in intensive care for various ailments, her great-aunt said.

&quot;This just makes no sense at all,&quot; said neighbor Maria Ramirez, shaking her head sadly. &quot;I'm so surprised. Such nice people, such bad things to happen.&quot;

E-mail the writers at kfagan@sfchronicle.com and jvanderbeken@sfchronicle.com. Chronicle staff writer Erin Allday contributed to this report.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/12/MNJQ17163H.DTL
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

This blog has a lot of info on Melissa Huckaby:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&amp;friendId=542346 35&amp;blogId=482546277

This is her myspace, pic was removed but if you go to the link I listed above, the pic is there.

http://www.myspace.com/Cinderella888

Senior Member skindeep_curiosity's Avatar

[quote author=vaga link=topic=19249.msg1246103#msg1246103 date=1239499626]

[/quote]

I've heard that she was killed inside the church, which is where they removed a large unidentified object (it was covered with a sheet) a couple days ago.

[quote author=Laurie_khikhi link=topic=19249.msg1245575#msg1245575 date=1239475081]
    I'm not suggesting anything. Although if I believed it was the same person no big deal. I dont really have an opinion either way. I know the media messes up a lot so...

With saying all that I have seen tons of mug shots where the person looks nothing like the pictures on their myspace, facebook or in person.

I would think the news would clarify they used a wrong picture...I have seen them do that many times also. I will keep checking the link TC9 posted to see what happens.
    [/quote]

Our local news station did apologize for posting a picture of the wrong Melissa Huckaby the same day that she (the &quot;real&quot; Melissa) was arrested, so I'm assuming this was the same woman that you're discussing.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar

Could someone post any highlights from her blogs for me?
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

Pics from her facebook page:

This makes me sick. They are considering rape and molestation charges on this bitch:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090413/ap_on_re_us/girl_in_suitcase

TRACY, Calif. โ€“ Prosecutors say they're considering rape and molestation allegations against the woman suspected of killing an 8-year-old Northern California girl and putting her body in a suitcase.

Twenty-eight-year-old Melissa Huckaby was arrested Saturday on suspicion of kidnapping and murdering Sandra Cantu. The girl was a playmate of her 5-year-old daughter.

San Joaquin County Deputy District Attorney Robert Himmelblau said Monday that a homicide charge against Huckaby could include the special circumstances of rape with a foreign object, lewd and lacivious conduct with a child and murder in the course of a kidnapping.

Himmelblau wouldn't provide more details. Huckaby is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday.

Sandra's body was found in a suitcase in an irrigation pond last week.

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar

[quote author=Laurie_khikhi link=topic=19249.msg1247676#msg1247676 date=1239656342]
    This makes me sick. They are considering rape and molestation charges on this bitch:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090413/ap_on_re_us/girl_in_suitcase

TRACY, Calif. โ€“ Prosecutors say they're considering rape and molestation allegations against the woman suspected of killing an 8-year-old Northern California girl and putting her body in a suitcase.

Twenty-eight-year-old Melissa Huckaby was arrested Saturday on suspicion of kidnapping and murdering Sandra Cantu. The girl was a playmate of her 5-year-old daughter.

San Joaquin County Deputy District Attorney Robert Himmelblau said Monday that a homicide charge against Huckaby could include the special circumstances of rape with a foreign object, lewd and lacivious conduct with a child and murder in the course of a kidnapping.

Himmelblau wouldn't provide more details. Huckaby is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday.

Sandra's body was found in a suitcase in an irrigation pond last week.

[/quote]

what. the. fuck.&nbsp; :2huh:

as if it wasnt bad enough to murder this little girl...rape with a foreign object?&nbsp; what a sick bitch.&nbsp; :x&nbsp; she can DIAF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

omg. It just keeps getting worse. That poor little girl.. I keep thinking of that video of her just skipping along all happy....&nbsp;

What a sick twisted bitch that lady is. And she was a sunday school teacher to a bunch of little kids... I wonder what she had against Sandra. or just what the FUCK made her do it. I can't wait to hear what happens with this

RIP Sandra&nbsp;

God.&nbsp; I was hoping there was some sort of crazy accident and they panicked.&nbsp; Something tragic, that was quick and painless for poor Sandra.&nbsp; Gah.

lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

[quote author=moosella link=topic=19249.msg1247529#msg1247529 date=1239644563]
    This blog has a lot of info on Melissa Huckaby:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&amp;friendId=542346 35&amp;blogId=482546277

This is her myspace, pic was removed but if you go to the link I listed above, the pic is there.

http://www.myspace.com/Cinderella888
    [/quote]

We should get her to become a MDS member....

As sexist and ageist as this sounds, I was expecting to hear it was some pervy old man. I am really shocked it was a semi-young woman. To hear she was a sick fuck child molester as well really floors me. I mean, I know they exist (female sexual predators) but man they aren't exactly a dime a dozen like the Chester the child molester motherfuckers we hear about often. The same shit boggles my mind as usual though, why, how, what creates a monster like this?

I am terrified at the thought of what her own daughter must have lived through all these years.

I have a feeling (if they do find out she was def raped) it wasn't Meilssa that did it.&nbsp; I think there is someone else in this sick tale.&nbsp; Poor little Sandra.&nbsp; RIP

[quote author=missberi link=topic=19249.msg1248051#msg1248051 date=1239677210]
    We should get her to become a MDS member....
    [/quote]

Yea no kidding! I was reading through that blog (skipping through... it's pretty long) and she said something about the police investigating a possible sex ring within the church! some sick shit might have been going on. Also, it said.. gah nevermind I might as well go find it and quote it......

NBC is reporting Huckaby was questioned by investigators a few months ago after taking a 7 year old to the park--7 year old came back with narcotics in her system. See the above video/phone interview with Melissa. Bottom line is police are looking for a sex tape child molesting video ring---searching the church roof top for a receiver etc. all angles are being looked at along with the connection to all the child molesters.
    Seriously this story gets crazier and crazier

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar

[quote author=lalizaa link=topic=19249.msg1248074#msg1248074 date=1239678446]
    Yea no kidding! I was reading through that blog (skipping through... it's pretty long) and she said something about the police investigating a possible sex ring within the church! some sick shit might have been going on. Also, it said.. gah nevermind I might as well go find it and quote it......

Seriously this story gets crazier and crazier

[/quote]

you dont think she did some kind of baby snuff film do you?&nbsp; :2huh: :x

ughhhhhh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_121193...ce=most_viewed

Neighbor says Huckaby kept her child inside

&quot;Carlos Martinez, a handyman for the Orchard Estates Mobile Home Park where both Sandra Cantu and Melissa Huckaby lived, remembered seeing Sandra going into Huckaby's home about two weeks ago to play with Huckaby's daughter.

According to Martinez, Huckaby's young child never played outside with the other children in the neighborhood.

&quot;Kids here are raised to play by themselves, go to the park, kick a ball around,&quot; Martinez said. &quot;Her kid never played outside. Sandra was the only girl I've ever seen go inside.&quot;

Makes you wonder how abused/neglected Huckaby's own child was if (and I say &quot;if&quot; only until it's been proven that she actually did this/was a part of this) she would abuse someone else's young daughter in this way... I hope they're getting Huckaby's daughter some counseling, and delving further into the possibilities of any abuse or neglect in that situation.

mydeathspace

Apparently she will be eligible for the death penalty. Sweet.

[quote author=mydeathspace link=topic=19249.msg1248600#msg1248600 date=1239744633]
    Apparently she will be eligible for the death penalty. Sweet.
    [/quote]

Does anyone know when the arraignment will actually be taking place?

Thread Information