Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Missing girl Sandra Cantu found dead

Missing girl Sandra Cantu found dead

(03-29) 21:40 PDT Tracy -- The FBI, police and hundreds of volunteers are searching for an 8-year-old Tracy girl who vanished from the mobile home park where she resides with her family.

Sandra Cantu failed to return to her home at the Orchard Estates Mobile Home Park on West Clover Road on Friday.

"She went to her friend's house to color and play," said Sandra's aunt, Angie Chavez, 41. The girl came home briefly Friday afternoon, she said, "then left to see another friend and just never came home."

It appears the second friend wasn't home, Chavez said, but it's not clear if Sandra ever even made it there.

"She didn't come home for dinner. ... They went looking for her and couldn't find her," Chavez said. "It got to be 8 o'clock, and they thought: Something is not right here."

The family summoned Tracy police, and by Sunday they were joined by law enforcement from surrounding communities and the FBI.

Hundreds of search-and-rescue personnel combed the rural area, along with crowds of volunteers eager to help.

"It's just astounding the number of people that have come out from the community wanting to help. We've had over 220 volunteers coming out wanting to help, and that's not including the people from the search-and-rescue teams," Chavez said. "We've actually had complete strangers coming by the house and offering food and drinks."

One of those strangers was Lisa Encarnacion, who volunteered to serve as the family's spokeswoman to the media. She said she was motivated by the loss of her 16-year-old son, Adam, in a car wreck.

"I wanted to offer my assistance in any way we could facilitate Sandra's return," she said Sunday night. "They are holding up as best as can be expected."

There are few clues to explain Sandra's disappearance. The girl did not express any desire to run away, her aunt said, and is close to her mother, Maria Chavez, 41. She attends Jacobson Elementary School and shares a mobile home with her mother, three older siblings and grandparents in a mobile home park full of friendly children.

"Everybody knows everybody in this little mobile home park. All the kids play together," Angie Chavez said. Sandra is outgoing and friendly, she said. "Probably too friendly, to a fault."

Sandra's father has been estranged from the family but is in Tracy helping and has been interviewed by police, Angie Chavez said.

Sandra's grandfather recently installed surveillance cameras on his mobile home after the tires on his truck were slashed, Chavez said - a rare crime for the area that the family has speculated might be retaliation for him trapping cats that trespass on his property and taking them to the pound.

The surveillance cameras have been helpful in showing Sandra on the property at about 4 p.m. Friday. A second camera, which faces the entrance to the park, does not show the girl leaving that way, Chavez said - which would have been unusual.

"She never goes outside the park," she said. Both tapes have been given to investigators, she said.

Sandra is Latina, 4 feet tall and weighs 45 pounds. She has brown hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing a pink Hello Kitty T-shirt and black leggings.

Police are asking anybody with information to call the Tracy Police Department at (209) 831-6847 or for urgent tips at (209) 831-4550. Tips can also be phoned in to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at (800) 843-5678.

Tracy Crime Stoppers and the FBI have offered a $2,000 reward for information about Sandra's whereabouts, Chavez said.

E-mail Matthew B. Stannard at mstannard@sfchronicle.com
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/30/BA1016P7VF.DTL

mydeathspace

Re: Missing girl Sandra Cantu found dead

I saw a worker van with a missing photo for Sandra on the back window Sunday afternoon. Wonder where she went.

i remeber when my daughter (then 5 yrs old) went with her father but neither thought to tell me she was going. for 3 hours i went thru thinking she had been taken. We had lived in the country and when i tried to get the police to go out there it was out of thier area so they tried to get the state police to out they said they would if they found time. Finally a officer heard what was going on he went ,off duty, out there and found out she was with her father and ok. He came to the house crying so relieved she was ok. let me tell you for 3 hours my life seemed like it was over . I wanted to scream, cry, run all over town knocking on doors to find her. All these terrifing thoughts ran thru my head. It felt like a ton had been lifted off me when he told me she was ok. For 3 short but what seemed like a lifetime hours my world was caving in. i cant imaging going thru days,weeks, months or years of that feeling. i truly feel for her family.

(CNN) -- Eight-year-old Sandra Cantu came home from school, kissed her mother, and left to color and play with a friend who lived a couple of houses down.

Sandra Cantu, 8, disappeared on Friday, according to police in Tracy, California.

That was at 3 p.m. Friday.

By Tuesday -- despite an intense search by hundreds of search-and-rescue personnel and volunteers over three days -- the little girl in the pink Hello Kitty T-shirt and black leggings had yet to be found.

The mysterious disappearance of Sandra from the Orchard Estates Mobile Home Park in Tracy, California -- about 60 miles east of San Francisco -- has baffled law enforcement officials. A dozen different agencies are looking for her.  Watch Nancy Grace on the case ยป

"The entire weekend was filled with just a massive search effort -- a manhunt involving multiple freeways, agents checking cars, volunteers going door-to-door," said Sebastian Kunz, a reporter with KNEW-AM radio in San Francisco, who is covering the case. "A lot of people are pulling for this little girl."

Call with tips:
    Police in Tracy, California, are asking anyone with information about Sandra Cantu to call the Tracy Police Department at 209-831-4550 or the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at 1-800-843-5678.
    On Monday night, Tracy police and FBI agents searched six locations, some in the mobile home park and some in Tracy, and all of them connected to two men.

Authorities did not call the men suspects, and did not name them publicly. They said both live in the mobile home park but did not say how or if they are related to Sandra.

"We're looking for evidence that will lead to the discovery of Sandra's whereabouts," Tracy Police Sgt. Tony Sheneman told reporters Monday night. "We operate on the assumption she is alive and well."

Sandra came home from school about 3 p.m. Friday. She asked to go play with a friend who lived a few houses down in the same mobile home park.

"I told her it was OK," Sandra's mother, Maria Chavez, told CNN's Nancy Grace, dabbing tears. "And that was the last time I saw her."

Surveillance camera footage recorded the girl playing in the park. But her parents reported her missing about 8 p.m. Friday, when she was supposed to be visiting a second friend.

"We just know that she had gone to the first house, and played for just a very short time. And then she was on her way to another friend's house," said Lisa Encarnacion, the spokeswoman for Sandra's family. "And we don't know, we can't confirm that she was there or she was not."

The mobile home park has less than 100 units. There are about 80 registered sex offenders living in a five-mile radius around it. The family has not looked at the list of offenders to see if they may know any of them, Encarnacion told Nancy Grace.

And so the search continues.

A reward fund set up for information leading to Sandra's return grew to $7,000 Monday. More than 150 tips poured in, police said.

But, at least for now, none has yielded information on the 4-foot-tall, brown-haired, brown-eyed girl.
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/03/31/california.missing.girl/index.html
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve. - Jello Biafra

mydeathspace

Apparently there are 2 persons of interest. The cops searched SIX locations linked to the men and both of their vehicles were towed.

I am going to bet they find this little girl's body in a canal somewhere in Tracy. Years ago I was invited to a few different "beach parties" that were on the banks of these nasty canals. Lots of very remote locations.

ETA: I read that there are approximately 80 sex offenders within a 5 mile radius of Sandra's trailer park. ugh.

Sandra's mom was on the Today show today.  I felt so bad for her.  She could barely talk because of the tears.

A police officer or police chief was on there too.  He said that all of the registered sex offenders were interviewed, but that no leads came out of the interview.

Also, Sandra's granddad, who Sandra and her mom and siblings lived with, had security cameras installed on the outside of their trailer.  The only thing the cameras captured was Sandra walking off in one direction.

Police Eye Oakdale Property in Search for Sandra

As the search for Sandra Cantu continued for a sixth night, family and friends gathered for another prayer vigil on Wednesday, refusing to give up hope that Sandra will come home.  Meantime, Tracy investigators are working around the clock to find the missing 8-year-old, who disappeared from the Orchard Estates Mobile Home Park on Friday, March 27th.  Since then, volunteers and officials from the FBI and officers from area agencies have been searching cars, homes and going door to door in search of clues.
        On Thursday, April 1st, police expanded their search to the Tracy landfill as well as a home in Oakdale.  Authorities tell us the home belongs to a relative of Chris Sinclair, a resident of the Orchard Estates Mobile Home Park who has been identified as a person of interest in the case.  FOX40 spoke with Sinclair, who says he's not sure why he's under investigation.  Sinclair said he returned home earlier this week, and both of his cars were gone.  He says police asked if he knew anything about Sandra's disappearance.  Martial arts instructor, Frank Wohler, is another person of interest who has  been questioned by police.  He lives a few houses down from Sandra and peaked the interest of investigators when they learned he kissed Sanda on the lips at the community pool two years ago.  Wohler says he was just being friendly and nice.  "It's kinda my nature and I haven't talked to her since.  I've seen her in the park, but that's it," Wohler said.
        In addition to the search in Oakdale, officers have impounded three cars as part of the investigation. The cars are being examined by a team of investigators from the Tracy Police Department and the FBI.  Investigators say they're still sifting through the more than 500 tips they've received since Sandra's disappearance.  One of those tips was from a family acquaintance, alleging Sandra's father, Daniel Cantu, may have kidnapped his daughter and taken her to Mexico.  In an interview with FOX40, Daniel Cantu denied the allegations.  He said the reason he went back to Mexico earlier this week is because, "I needed to get back for my job."  Cantu says he returned to Tracy on Tuesday and has been in constant contact with investigators.  Cantu admits he wishes he saw more of his daughter, but said there has never been an issue over custody.
    http://www.fox40.com/pages/landing_local_headlines/?Police-Eye-Oakdale-Property-in-Search-fo=1&blockID=256041&feedID=190

Surveillance footage of her that day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1j5R-sVIRA

You're like a hurricane to me: your violence is beautiful, your centre, so sweet.

Video: 44-year-old bachelor admits missing girl Sandra Cantu had been inside his home

Sandra CantuDavid Slayter, 44, whose home and cars were searched on Friday admitted to police that missing 8-year-old Sandra Cantu had frequently visited him inside his home.

On Friday, Mar. 27, Sandra disappeared from outside her home at the Orchard Estates Mobile Home Park in Tracy, Calif.  A surveillance camera installed by her family captured an image of her as she was leaving her home.  To see the surveillance video, click here.

In an interview with Geraldo Rivera on Saturday, authorities discussed Slayter, saying no one has been ruled out as a suspect in the case and they are continuing to search for Sandra.  See the video interview below: 

Sandra is described as Hispanic, 4 feet tall, 45 pounds, with brown hair, brown eyes, and a small birthmark on her right cheek.  She was wearing a pink Hello Kitty t-shirt and black leggings when she disappeared.

If you have any information about Sandra, please call the Tracy Police Department at 209-831-4550 or the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at 1-800-843-5678.  There is a reward of $26,000 for information regarding Sandra.

http://www.examiner.com/x-1168-Crime-Examiner~y2009m4d4-Video-44yearold-bachelor-admits-missing-girl-Sandra-Cantu-had-been-inside-his-home

I really hope they find her alive and well.  :|

[quote author=kittee link=topic=19249.msg1239265#msg1239265 date=1238961060]
    Surveillance footage of her that day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1j5R-sVIRA
    [/quote]

Look how sweet and innocent she is just skipping along without a care in the world. It freaks me out I have a daughter her age. I also have a 5 yr.old daughter . Raising girls can hard enough,now I have to make sure some ol' pervert doesn't molest,kidnap, or kill them? If I lose their sight for 5 minutes, I freak the hell out!
    Guess it's better to be vigilant.

Quote Originally Posted by angelicajustice View Post
    I wouldn't fuck her with Ron's dick.

Of course she had to be seen on camera doing something very cute and innocent, right?  She was probably singing a song to herself.  Geez, could it get any sadder?   

Senior Member skindeep_curiosity's Avatar

A suspicious suitcase has been found about two miles from the trailerpark that Sandra lived in. So far, authorities have not reported what is inside the suitcase (it was removed and relocated to an "undisclosed area" for investigation), but there have been no further updates yet...

http://www.ktla.com/landing_news/?Po...amp;feedID=171

"TRACY -- Police are investigating the discovery of what appears to be a suitcase with a red ribbon around it found two miles from the mobile home park where missing 8-year-old Sandra Cantu was last seen.

The black container was discovered Monday in a Tracy irrigation pond.  Tracy Police Sgt. Tony Sheneman says there is no evidence there is anyone inside although authorities have called the item suspicious.

Authorities have not yet opened the container, but say they will once the investigation around the pond is complete.

A farmer called police this morning after discovering the container in an irrigation pool on his property, located on North Tracy Boulevard north of Sugar Road.

The road has been shut down and the CHP is clearing air space over the area.

The discovery comes 10 days into the search for missing 8-year-old Sandra Cantu.

The second-grader disappeared on March 27 from the Orchard Estates Mobile Home Community.

According to family members, the 8-year came home from school, kissed her mother, and left to play with a friend who lived a couple of houses down.

Surveillance camera footage released this weekend shows the girl skipping down the street.

"We just know that she had gone to the first house, and played for just a very short time. 

And then she was on her way to another friend's house," said Lisa Encarnacion, the spokeswoman for Sandra's family.

"And we don't know, we can't confirm that she was there or she was not."
    Her mother reported her missing about 8:00 that night.

Police have not identified any suspects in the girl's disappearance, but they have searched several homes.

All the locations were connected to two men who live in the mobile home park, officials said.

Authorities have also towed four cars from the mobile home park.

The cars were being examined by a team of investigators from the Tracy Police Department and the FBI.

Sandra was wearing a pink Hello Kitty T-shirt and black leggings when she vanished.

The reward posted for information leading to the little girl's return has been increased to $26,000."

mydeathspace

Yep, she was in the suitcase. I'm not really surprised.

[size=15pt]Missing girl Sandra Cantu found dead[/size]

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/04/07/california.missing.girl.dead/index.html

Authorities found the body of 8-year-old Sandra Cantu in a suitcase in a dairy-farm pond near her California home on Monday.

The girl had been missing since March 27 from her home in Tracy, California. Police did not identify a suspect.

News of the girl's death devastated her family, Tracy police spokesman Tony Sheneman said.

"They have just experienced the unimaginable," Sheneman said.

The day Sandra was last seen, she came home from school, kissed her mother and left to play with a friend who lives a couple of homes away. A short time later, she left that home to go to another friend's home, according to a spokeswoman for her family.

The child was last seen by her family wearing a pink Hello Kitty T-shirt and black leggings.

Authorities identified her body by the clothes she was wearing, Sheneman said.

Earlier in the investigation, police released surveillance video that showed the child in the mobile home park where she lives -- skipping and happily swinging her arms on the day she disappeared. They had hoped to get tips with the eight-second video.

On Monday, they got a tip about the dairy farm.

Workers on the farm were getting water from a retention pond when the black suitcase came to the surface of the water, police said.

"It is very difficult for everybody involved. We were optimistic that we would find Sandra alive," Sheneman said.

this monster needs to be caught asap.

FUCK!  :2angry:

[quote author=mydeathspace link=topic=19249.msg1232533#msg1232533 date=1238517769]
    I am going to bet they find this little girl's body in a canal somewhere in Tracy. Years ago I was invited to a few different "beach parties" that were on the banks of these nasty canals. Lots of very remote locations.[/quote]

[size=14pt]Does [/size]  [size=14pt]= [/size]   [size=14pt] ? [/size]

:lol:
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

I want to watch it when I get home.
    [youtube=425,350]__EXrdcTX7c[/youtube]

all of the ladies at work and I were following this...  and they had a live feed to the announcement on the news last night...  you couldn't help but cry.  I can't wait until they find out who did it.  I cannot even fathom the pain her family is going through!! 

Did they rule out her father?  I know they questioned him recently because of his shady past... 

[quote author=sarahsue link=topic=19249.msg1241371#msg1241371 date=1239120151]
    all of the ladies at work and I were following this...  and they had a live feed to the announcement on the news last night...  you couldn't help but cry.  I can't wait until they find out who did it.  I cannot even fathom the pain her family is going through!!  

Did they rule out her father?  I know they questioned him recently because of his shady past... 
    [/quote]

what about his past I must have missed this?

I guess he was pretty heavy into drugs for a while...  I mean none of the charges were really SERIOUS... but they were still questioning him.

TRACY, Calif. -- The father of missing 8-year-old Sandra Cantu has a criminal past, including methamphetamine problems and time served in Pelican Bay State Prison.

The Tracy girl disappeared March 27; she was last seen inside Orchard Estates Mobile Home Park, just off West Clover Road.

A search of court records in San Joaquin County Superior Court showed five criminal cases involving Daniel Cantu dating between 2001 and 2005.

Charges included possession of a controlled substance; resisting, obstructing, delaying a peace officer; possession of a controlled substance for sale; and possession of a hypodermic needle or syringe.

Records also show the court assigned Cantu to drug court at one point, but he was dropped from the program.

According to the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, Cantu was sentenced to two years in prison for possession of a controlled substance for sale. He served 13 months between September 2005 and October 2006.

KCRA 3 tried to talk to Cantu on Wednesday about his criminal history, but he became upset and declined to answer questions.

Cantu, who lives in Mexico, was interviewed Thursday by police in Tracy. He said he took a polygraph test. Cantu was also interviewed Wednesday by police.

Nicole Stevenson, a friend, said Daniel Cantu has been clean and sober for more than three years and that he volunteered to take a polygraph test when the investigation began.

mydeathspace

[quote author=nestlequikie link=topic=19249.msg1241276#msg1241276 date=1239115388]
    [size=14pt]Does [/size]  [size=14pt]= [/size]   [size=14pt] ? [/size]

:lol:
    [/quote]

No one has yet retained my services. 

mydeathspace

Today on the news they said that police are focusing on a shed near a church. Also there were a bunch of tire tracks and footprints found near the pond/irrigation ditch/whatever where the suitcase was found.

Shouldn't be that hard to find the person(s) who did this.

On the surveillance video, it looks like someone may have called to Sandra for her to walk towards them because it looks like she is skipping to the house and then she stops and goes in the other direction.  She even looks at her house as if she knows she shouldn't leave without telling someone.  So sad. 

[quote author=FemmeFatality link=topic=19249.msg1241463#msg1241463 date=1239125206]
    On the surveillance video, it looks like someone may have called to Sandra for her to walk towards them because it looks like she is skipping to the house and then she stops and goes in the other direction.  She even looks at her house as if she knows she shouldn't leave without telling someone.  So sad. 
    [/quote]

you know, i thought the same thing when i saw that video. it was like something kinda caught her attention and she walks toward it.  Or someone saw her swinging her arms & skipping, and she may have been embarrassed and stopped and got nervous about walking past them or something. 

so sad. 
    Child kilers should be tourtured.

When the policeman ended that video with "watch your kids and give them a hug tonight" I thought damn, did this killer know this girl or was it just random. Makes me glad i'm not a parent when i hear things like this. They said there was lots of tire tracks and footprints around the lake because workmen hae been there for several days and they don't know if any one of them will help them with the case.

Surely if the person was local they would know there was work going on around it and its likely to be drained? If its for farming reasons, i'm guessing the same process happens around the same time every year

Thread Information