Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Claudia Lawrence (35) missing 18th March 2009

Claudia Lawrence (35) missing 18th March 2009

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/7962743.stm

Page last updated at 13:16 GMT, Wednesday, 25 March 2009

Missing chef 'has come to harm' 

Claudia Lawrence was last seen at her work at Goodricke College
    A missing university chef may have "come to some harm", detectives investigating her disappearance have revealed.

Claudia Lawrence, 35, was last seen by colleagues at the University of York's Goodricke College last Wednesday.

Det Supt Ray Galloway said she had not been in touch with family or friends since 2030 GMT that night and appealed for the public's help.

He said his "professional judgement is that she has probably come to harm".

Speaking a week after her disappearance, Det Supt Galloway said: "At the moment, we have no tangible evidence of a crime and I really do hope that Claudia is out there and that she makes contact."

'Unusual vehicle'

Miss Lawrence was last seen at about 1400 GMT when she left the college, where she worked as a chef.

She was later spotted on CCTV as she walked the three-mile route to her home in Heworth Road.

Police news conference on Miss Lawrence's disappearance
    The officer said he believed Miss Lawrence was with someone she knew.

He said she had recently been walking to work after her car broke down but that it would be "unlikely" for her to get into a car with a stranger.

"I would really like to encourage people to tell me little snippets of what they know," he said.

"What do they know about Claudia? She was a young, single woman. Did she have a new boyfriend? Did anyone see her in an unusual vehicle? Was she in a pub that she didn't normally frequent?

"Just that little snippet would help me to just contextualise what I know."

'Living nightmare'

The officer said she did not appear on any CCTV footage from her normal route to work on Thursday.

It was believed Miss Lawrence had left home to walk to work at around 0530 GMT on Thursday but the officer said it was not known if she had gone missing on Wednesday evening.

He described her as a "prolific texter" who was always in contact with her family.

Addressing the public he said: "We have no information to her whereabouts after 2030 GMT.

"Try to help me fill that gap, I need the public's help."

Earlier, her father Peter Lawrence said the past few days had been a "living nightmare".

He said: "There is no reason for Claudia to be missing. She had no reason to go, no problems, no troubles."

Miss Lawrence is described as 5ft 6in (1.7m) tall and slim, with brown hair. She was last seen wearing a white T-shirt, blue jeans and trainers.

Police are appealing for help to find a small blue or green rucksack which she used to carry her chef's whites to work.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/7969628.stm

Thousands join Claudia web page 

Claudia Lawrence was last seen at her work at Goodricke College
    More than 10,000 people have joined social networking groups on Facebook appealing for help in finding missing York woman Claudia Lawrence.

Police divers have been scouring waterways in the city for clues as the search for the 35-year-old university chef enters its 10th day.

Prayers for her safe return are also being said throughout the day at the Archbishop of York's home.

A friend who set up the Facebook page said the response was "incredible".

Everyone just wants her to come home safe

Melanie Harrison

Melanie Harrison said all Claudia's friends were heartened by the support shown on the site.

She said: "It's quiet incredible, the response, really.

"It's overwhelming to know that we've got that support behind us in trying to find her.

"Everyone just wants her to come home safe."

Claudia Lawrence was last seen after leaving the University of York's Goodricke College last Wednesday.

Dr John Sentamu said he was asked to pray for Miss Lawrence by her father Peter when they spoke on Thursday.

Mr Lawrence has denied suggestions that his daughter disappeared after a secret meeting with a new boyfriend.

He told the BBC's Missing Live programme: "It's just so unlikely, I think one of her friends would have known [if she had a boyfriend].

"She's the sort of person, who is bubbly, who is sociable, who chats to her friends. So if I didn't know, her friends would have known."

Re: Claudia Lawrence (35) missing 18th March 2009

Claudia police seek 'row' couple

Police searching for missing chef Claudia Lawrence say they are looking into "significant" lines of inquiry after two new witnesses came forward.

Miss Lawrence was last seen leaving the University of York's Goodricke College on 18 March.

At a news conference North Yorkshire Police said a man and woman were seen arguing near the university, where Miss Lawrence worked, early the next day.

Two men were also seen outside her home in the days before she disappeared.

Det Supt Ray Galloway said a motorist saw a man arguing with a woman on University Road at 0610 GMT on 19 March.

The pair were standing across the carriageway from a parked car. Police do not have a description of the man or woman or the vehicle.

Mr Galloway said: "The man and woman appeared to be involved in some form of altercation. We think it was a verbal altercation. One of the doors is open, the passenger door of the vehicle.

"He [the witness] drives past and as he looks in his wing mirror, his rear view mirror, he actually believes the man is stood above the woman... as if he's on some form of banking.

"It's a significant line of inquiry which we wish to pursue."

Mr Galloway said it was a "key moment" for the inquiry team.

A second witness has come forward to say she saw two men outside Miss Lawrence's home on either 10 March or 13 March.

Det Supt Ray Galloway appeals for information to help trace Miss Lawrence

One of the men was described as Asian, aged in his early 20s, 5ft 8in tall, of slim build and with a thin, pointed nose and dark areas beneath his eyes. He was described as nervous.

The second man was taller, with dark hair and a heavier build.

Mr Galloway said: "...One of the men, the Asian male, appears to try the door, whether it be with the key, or whether he's trying the door handle we're not absolutely certain.

"Now, we obviously need to know who the men are. They were watched by the witness for three or four minutes because she's in very slow moving traffic as she approaches the roundabout at Malton Road.

"But we don't know what they were there for. It could have been a legitimate reason, we don't know."

Mr Galloway said people had been claiming to have information about Miss Lawrence and the case on the social networking website Facebook.

He said: "There is a significant amount of people who are contributing to that site. Now some of them are making what could potentially be useful information appeals or claiming that they have information that could be useful to the investigation.

"I would urge anybody that has any information that they are imparting on the Facebook site, please use the police hotline and contact us and allow us to contextualise the information and help take it forward."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/8001922.stm

Her dad was on tv here a few minutes ago.  He says that he's heard that people are leaving information about Claudia's disappearence on Facebook and pleaded with people to ring the police as he says the police are having problems tracking down those leaving the information.

I don't think this is going to turn out well but I really hope it does.  Her poor dad looked devastated :(

The disappearance of York University chef Claudia Lawrence is now being treated as suspected murder, North Yorkshire Police said.

However detectives said they had not found any proof that the 35-year-old, who went missing on 18 March, was dead.

Her father Peter Lawrence made a direct appeal to his daughter to contact him five weeks after she disappeared.

His plea came at a news conference held shortly after a £10,000 reward was offered to help find Miss Lawrence.

Crimestoppers said the sum they were offering was "significantly higher" than usual because of public interest in the case.

Please, please listen to these messages and if you're able to, please send just a quick text or make a quick call

Det Supt Ray Galloway, who is leading the investigation, said: "At the moment we have no proof of Claudia's death.

"However five weeks on from her disappearance we also have no proof of her life.

"The investigation is now being formally classified as one of suspected murder."

Officers now want to speak to a man and woman seen on Melrosegate Bridge at 0535 GMT on Thursday, 19 March.

Detectives believe the two people may have useful information.

In his appeal to his daughter, Mr Lawrence said: "It's just so unusual for you not to be in contact that we just don't know what is happening.

"Despite many appeals, nobody's heard from you, and we're obviously extremely worried."

Mr Lawrence said both he and Claudia's mother had left new messages on their daughter's mobile phone and urged her to listen to them.

He said: "Please, please listen to these messages and if you're able to, please send just a quick text or make a quick call.

"You may not be able to do this but we just hope there's that possibility that you can.

"There's absolutely nothing for you to worry about in terms of getting in contact, you're not in trouble with anybody. We just miss you, we just want to know that you're safe."

On Thursday, North Yorkshire Police said they had scoured thousands of rooms at York University and searched hundreds of homes.

Detectives said they had taken 868 reports and statements and handled more than 900 telephone calls.

Concerns have been raised that potential leads in the search were not being followed up quickly enough.

North Yorkshire Police said leads were assessed methodically and carefully.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/8016236.stm

What a sad case.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1187945/Missing-chef-Claudia-Lawrence-longer-Britain-insists-mother.html

Missing chef Claudia Lawrence is no longer in Britain, insists mother By Chris Brooke
    Created 2:37 PM on 26th May 2009

The mother of missing university chef Claudia Lawrence said today the hunt for her daughter was 'going down the wrong track' and urged police to 'do something different' to find her.
    Joan Lawrence, 65, revealed she had a 'gut instinct' that her 36-year-old daughter was now 'abroad' and was trying to return to a 'normal' life while police attempt to solve the riddle of her disappearance 10 weeks ago.

More recent...Missing chef Claudia Lawrence's 'mysterious and complex love life' probed by police

The BBC's Crimewatch programme is due to feature a reconstruction of her final movements on the show, to be aired on June 2nd, and detectives are desperate for fresh clues from the public.
    Asked if there was anything more that could be done by the public in the hunt for her daughter, Mrs Lawrence appeared to criticise the police inquiry.
    'I think on the whole they have been pretty good, I think they have been fantastic, but we still aren't getting anywhere,' she said.
    'Nobody is coming forward, I don't think hardly anybody is coming forward really, nothing definite. Yet I sometimes feel we are going down the wrong track, there has got to be a new input, there has got to be something different. Something just isn't right.'
    The mother-of-two and grandmother told her local newspaper: 'I don't think she's in the country, I think she's abroad. I don't know for certain, I have a gut instinct. I just don't know really, but I had an instinct about a month ago that she wasn't in the country.'
    Mrs Lawrence said she has been coping by 'doing the regular things' every day and said her days have been 'full with phone calls' and friends taking her out.
    'People have been super, they really have. They have been taking me out and feeding me, you just wouldn't believe it.
    She said she couldn't face going out in public at first, adding: 'But now I'm going to things, I'm trying. I'm doing my best. I've got my faith, my family and my friends.'
    Crimewatch actors reconstruct an encounter between a woman thought to be Claudia and a hooded man in York on the morning of March 19th

Mrs Lawrence lives alone in Malton and has been divorced from Claudia's solicitor father Peter for many years.
    She said she had received 'hundreds' of cards and letters from well-wishers 'and they are still coming.'
    She described her daughter as 'caring, loving and beautiful' and said they had a very close relationship and saw each other regularly.
    Claudia was not believed to be in a relationship or have any personal problems. She lived alone in York and worked shifts in the canteen at the University of York's Goodricke College.
    She was last seen alive on Wednesday 18th March and spoke to her mother from home on the phone that evening.

She seemed 'fine' and they agreed to try and meet up for the forthcoming Mothering Sunday.

'She has never ever missed a Mothering Sunday, this is the first time,' said Mrs Lawrence.
    The brunette either went missing later that evening or the next morning - she was due to start work at 6am but never turned up. Claudia had told her parents she intended to walk the three miles to work.
    Mrs Lawrence said Claudia, despite only being a size 10 or eight,  was desperate to lose 3 lbs in weight she had put on over Christmas and walked as much as possible.
    'I didn't like her walking to work on her own at that time of morning,' she said.
    But Claudia would often tell her mother that walking was 'her only form of exercise.'
    Police want to speak to a man and a woman matching Claudia's description seen on Melrosegate - between Miss Lawrence's home and the university - at 5.35 am on Thursday 19 March.
    A £10,000 reward has been offered to help find Miss Lawrence.
    Detectives also want to identify a man caught on CCTV at 5.50 am on 19 March near Miss Lawrence's home in Heworth Road.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1193012/Missing-chef-Claudia-Lawrences-adulterous-affair-shocks-family.html

Family's shock as they learn of missing chef Claudia Lawrence's adulterous affair
    By Chris Brooke#

Last updated at 1:33 PM on 15th June 2009

The family of missing chef Claudia Lawrence have been shocked by revelations of an affair which broke up a father-of-two's marriage.
    It has also been claimed that the 35-year-old had a string of other flings with married men.
    Miss Lawrence has not been seen for almost three months, and the massive police inquiry has focused on a 'complex' and secretive love life that her close friends and family knew nothing about.

Yesterday it was revealed that she had an affair two-and-a-half years ago with married scrap-metal merchant Lee Horwell, 38, from York.
    The relationship led to the break up of Mr Horwell's marriage to Beth, 40, a nurse and the mother of his two children.

Mrs Horwell said: 'It was a horrible time and it did break up my marriage. It was never what I expected. Lee and I had been together since we were 18.
    'I thought we were set for life so it was very, very difficult. I don't think it went on that long, a couple of months perhaps. Lee told me because he couldn't live with himself. We did try and patch it up. We went to Relate and all those things but it was no good.
    'I could never understand it. She was younger than me, prettier than me so why did she pick Lee? She could have had her pick, couldn't she?
    'In all honesty, because I didn't know her and she wasn't a friend, I couldn't hate her. I blamed Lee but obviously I didn't like what she was doing.'

Mrs Horwell said police questioned her several weeks after Miss Lawrence, who worked at the University of York's Goodricke College, went missing.
    Appeal: Claudia Lawrence and her solicitor father Peter
    Cheated wife: Beth Horwell said the affair caused the break up of her marriage
    'I don't for a minute think Lee had anything to do with it but I wasn't surprised they came round,' she told the Mail on Sunday. 'I was half expecting it. I told them everything I knew. I've got nothing to hide.
    'I don't wish her any malice, I just hope they find her and she can slip back into my past. I've got a new partner, the kids are doing well. Lee and I are working at being good, separate parents.'
    Detective Superintendent Ray Galloway made an appeal on the BBC's Crimewatch programme earlier this month for former partners of Miss Lawrence to come forward.
    Police are known to have spoken to several men, but until now none has been identified.
    The appeal prompted a torrent of gossip about Miss Lawrence's private life, with claims that she 'deliberately targets married men and then dumps them'.

The allegations have added to the misery of Miss Lawrence's divorced parents.
    Her sister Ali Sims admitted Miss Lawrence had made ' unfortunate' choices of boyfriends in the past.
    'I remember once she was supposed to be going on holiday to Florida with a boyfriend and when they got to the airport he wasn't allowed to get on the plane because it turned out he'd been charged with grievous bodily harm at some point and she didn't know anything about it.
    'Over time she stopped talking to the family about that side of her life because she thought we'd shoot her down.
    'Her friends thought she told them everything but when something like this happens, it makes you wonder.'
    Miss Lawrence's solicitor father Peter was said to be 'away' yesterday but his friend and spokesman Martin Dales said the revelations had been a real 'surprise'.
    He said: 'Nobody knows everything about a person and parents don't know everything about their grown up children's private lives.

'But given her work pattern of doing shifts Peter is surprised she had the time. However, if such relationships happened one has to accept it, however distasteful it may be.'
    Miss Lawrence was last seen after finishing work on 18 March. She returned home and did not arrive for work as expected at 6am the following day.

Ex-workmates defend Richard Cartwright, owner of Heworth houses in Claudia Lawrence search

8:52am Monday 10th August 2009
    By Mark Stead »

EX-WORKMATES of a man whose homes have been searched by detectives leading the hunt for Claudia Lawrence say they do not believe he had anything to do with her disappearance.
    Richard Cartwright, 57, who spent his working life at York Carriageworks, died a few weeks after the 35-year-old chef from Heworth vanished in March.
    Two of Mr Carwright’s properties – only yards from Claudia’s home – have come under the spotlight of the huge probe into her suspected murder.
    Police believe Mr Cartwright, who was found dead on April 9, was the man seen on CCTV walking to the rear of Claudia’s house when she failed to arrive for work on March 19.
    Last week, detectives began searching two houses owned by unmarried Mr Cartwright in East Parade, Heworth.
    An inquest has been opened and adjourned into his death which is not being treated as suspicious, and a toxicology report is currently being prepared. Paul Cooper, who worked with Mr Cartwright at the carriageworks, said: “I knew him quite well – he was a personable chap, but he kept his own life to himself.
    “At work, he was outgoing, popular and a bit of a joker. He had a real passion for his job – he used to bring sandwiches in and sell them even though you weren’t really supposed to. I was at his funeral and his death came as a real shock because I’d seen him at the funeral of one of our former colleagues a few weeks before and he looked really well.
    “I would never have thought Richard could have any aggression in him towards anybody and I can’t believe he would ever be involved in something like this – that’s not the person I knew. It’s a shame his name has come into the investigation in this way because he is not around to speak for himself, and I also feel sorry for his family.”
    Another friend of Mr Cartwright, 57-year-old Colin Molloy, described him as a “workaholic” who bought properties to let before it became common practice. He also had a night job, cleaning railway carriages at York Station.
    Since Claudia, who worked as a chef at the University of York, disappeared, police have searched a string of properties including her local pub, The Nag’s Head.
    Last week, The Press exclusively revealed North Yorkshire Police have so far spent £485,000 on the hunt for her, one of the largest operations in the force’s recent history.

http://www.thepress.co.uk/news/45372...wrence_search/

SEARCHING: Claudia and her father Peter. The search for the chef has already cost £500,000

Sunday August 9,2009

DETECTIVES leading the search for missing chef Claudia Lawrence believe a prime suspect in the case died three weeks after she vanished.

Police continue to search the properties of wealthy landlord Richard Cartwright, 57, and think that CCTV images place him at the back of Claudia’s house at around 5.50am on the day she disappeared.
    Following a BBC Crimewatch appeal, officers are “almost certain” the footage identifies Cartwright who was found dead at his home from natural causes in East Parade, York on April 19.
    Claudia was last seen near her home in York on March 18. She failed to turn up for work at the University of York the next day.
    Police have described Claudia, 35, as having a ”wild and secret” sex life and believe that she was murdered.
    Colin Molloy, 57, who was a friend of Richard Cartwright, said he was a “bit of a loner.”

He added: “He had lived with his mother until she died, and cared for his elder brother who had learning difficulties.
    “He never married, but as far as we were all concerned it was just the way he was. He had bought properties and done them up for rent long before anyone else had any idea.
    “They were all paid for – he didn’t owe a penny. I’d put money on it that he’s worth over a million but he would never have known it.
    “We all feel sorry for his family having had his name brought into this when he cannot defend himself.”
    Neighbour Edward Bacon said Cartwright was an early riser and it was “pure coincidence” that he was seen on CCTV in the area.
    Claudia’s father last night begged police not to scale down the search that has already cost £500,000.

In a veiled plea to police not to give up on finding daughter Peter Lawrence said: “You cannot put a cost on a life.”
    Police have offered a £10,000 reward for information leading to the conviction of those responsible for the death of Claudia.
    Martin Dales, spokesman for Mr Lawrence, said: “The search for Claudia has been ongoing for five months now and it has been costly financially, but it has been costly emotionally too.
    “What I want to say is that you cannot put a price on a life. I would pose the question to anyone: ‘Wouldn’t you do it for your loved one?’
    “We don’t know how long the search will go on for, but we will continue to search for her whatever the cost because there is no other option.”
    Just last week North Yorkshire Police were criticised by Her Majesty’s Inspector of Police for being unable to handle major murder inquiries.
    But yesterday acting Assistant Chief Constable Steve Read said: “From the outset, the disappearance of Claudia was taken extremely seriously and the appropriate level of resources were allocated to the investigation.”
    So far officers have received more than 1,200 calls from members of the public offering information regarding the missing chef. At the height of the investigation, 100 police officers were working on the case.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...or-my-daughter

Its been 6 months but the police say they are having problems as men are lieing about the fact they knew her and they can't get the facts. I wish we knew more about her personal life.

York chef Claudia Lawrence could be in Cyprus, according to detectives investigating her disappearance.

North Yorkshire Police said officers had been sent to the Mediterranean island to try to find people the 35-year-old knew.

Det Supt Ray Galloway was speaking at a news conference to mark six months since Miss Lawrence was last seen.

He said she had been planning a trip to Cyprus and received a text from a man there on the night of 18 March.

Mr Galloway said: "The last text message that Claudia received... was from a friend in Cyprus.

"It is not known whether Claudia ever opened this last text message; therefore there has always been a link to Cyprus.

Some of the people that we have contacted have denied knowing Claudia or being in a relationship with her. I don't believe this to be true
    Det Supt Ray Galloway

"However, over the course of the investigation it has become apparent that Claudia knew several people who live on the island, and it is believed that during her visits to Cyprus she has also received job offers."

Mr Galloway added: "She could be in Cyprus."

The detective said the man who sent the text message had been contacted.

He said: "He has been co-operative with us. However, over the past six months, inquiries have led to a broader knowledge of the fact that she knew different people, several people, on the island of Cyprus, all of whom are British and most of whom work out there or live out there."

Mr Galloway said he had sent a team of officers to the island to speak to these men.

Chef 'could have left the county'

"Some of the people that we have contacted have denied knowing Claudia or being in a relationship with her," he said. "I don't believe this to be true."

He said one man Claudia knew in Cyprus was in the UK on 18 March. "That gentleman has been spoken to and has given an account of his movements," he added

Mr Galloway said it was evidence Miss Lawrence was planning another trip to Cyprus at the time of her disappearance.

He said she had travelled to the country "four or five times" in recent years.

Miss Lawrence's passport was found at her home after she disappeared but Mr Galloway said: "There are ways in which people can leave the country [without a passport]."

The detective said he still believed Miss Lawrence had come to harm, because she had not been in touch with family members on special occasions such as birthdays.

He said: "That is key. It's not something that Claudia would have done."

Mr Galloway said no-one had been arrested on suspicion of murder and there were no formal suspects in the case.

"But people are of interest to the investigation," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/8262689.stm

Father of Claudia Lawrence renews appeal for information
    10:57am Friday 20th November 2009

Comments (0)  Have your say »

By Nicola Fifield »

THE father of vanished Malton woman Claudia Lawrence has spoken of his continuing heartache on the eight-month anniversary of her disappearance.

Peter Lawrence, 63, whose daughter has not been seen since March 18, said yesterday he was still convinced somebody was withholding a vital clue that could help the police to find the 35-year-old.

He said he was desperate to find out what had happened to his daughter and was dreading spending the Christmas period without Claudia.

“After eight months we do need to resolve this,” he said.

“It’s obviously coming up to Christmas, which is going to be a bad time for my family and others and my plea is for information.

“It is going to be awful. Claudia was always around with us at Christmas – she has been for the past 35 years – and it’s going to be dreadful.”

Mr Lawrence, a solicitor from Slingsby, said he had spoken to the detective leading the suspected murder investigation earlier this week and was confident the inquiry was progressing.

He said: “Talking to Detective Superintendent Ray Galloway earlier this week, there is a lot of information there, but they are still missing the piece or pieces to either find Claudia or find whoever is responsible for her disappearance.

“My plea, as always, is if someone out there does have that piece of information they might not think it’s important, but it probably is.

“The police need someone else to give them further information to enable them to take this on.”

£558,000 cost of eight-month investigation
    POLICE have revealed the cost of the investigation into missing York chef Claudia Lawrence has now reached £558,000.

More than 100 officers and staff were involved in the inquiry when the 35-year-old first disappeared eight months ago – and 30 officers and staff are still involved in the case.

However, a case review next week could see the number of detectives dedicated to the investigation reduced.

Claudia’s father, Peter Lawrence, thanked North Yorkshire Police for the ongoing significant resources being ploughed into the hunt behind his daughter’s disappearance.

His spokesman Martin Dales said: “A substantial amount of money has clearly been spent on the ongoing search for Claudia.

“It is welcome to see resources are still be expended in the hunt, exactly eight months after she failed to turn up for work.

“As I have said before, what price can you put on the cost of a life?”

The cost of the investigation, which included £90,000 in the first 12 days after Claudia vanished, has been allocated to North Yorkshire Police’s in-house resources, as well as the services of a range of specialist departments from colleagues across Yorkshire and the Humber, including detectives, specialist search teams, specialist search dogs, underwater search teams and air support.

Police are treating the chef’s disappearance as suspected murder, with a £10,000 reward for information leading to the conviction of those responsible being offered.

http://www.gazetteherald.co.uk/news/4750820.Father_of_Claudia_Lawrence_renews_appeal_f or_information/

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Man-Held-For-Posting-Bogus-Facebok-message-From-Missing-York-Chef-Claudia-Lawrence/Article/201002315551467?lpos=UK_News_News_Your_Way_Region_ 8&lid=NewsYourWay_ARTICLE_15551467_Man_Held_Fo r_Posting_Bogus_Facebok_message_From_Missing_York_ Chef_Claudia_Lawrence

A man has been arrested for posting a bogus message on Facebook claiming to be from missing York chef Claudia Lawrence.

The message appeared on the "Claudia Lawrence Investigation" Facebook page in November 2009.

Following police enquiries, an 18-year-old man was traced to an address in Didcot, Oxfordshire

He was arrested and taken into custody for questioning where he admitted making a malicious communication and wasting police time.

He was cautioned for both offences and released.

Martin Dales, a friend of Miss Lawrence's father Peter, said: "It was a cruel thing to do and caused great distress and offence to Peter, the family and friends and the general public who expressed their disgust on findclaudia.co.uk and Facebook and hoped that it was a hoax.

"As the person has confessed it is a hoax, it means those who love and are concerned for Claudia's well-being can now know that that is the case and carry on with the campaign to find her without this distraction hanging over us all."

Claudia was last seen on March 18, 2009 after leaving work at York University.

She was due to walk the three miles to work for a shift beginning at 6am the following day but she never turned up.

Police are now treating her disappearance as murder.

Detective Superintendent Ray Galloway, who is leading the investigation into her disappearance, said: "The posting of this message on Facebook, claiming to be Claudia Lawrence, caused significant anxiety and distress to Claudia's family and also diverted valuable police resources to pursue a line of enquiry that had no value.

"The arrest demonstrates our determination to pursue anybody that undertakes such malicious and irresponsible behaviour.

"The investigation into the suspected murder of Claudia Lawrence continues and will do so whilst there are positive lines of enquiry to pursue."
    beli : Cunt fingers. Just like butterfingers, only cuntier.

Her father was just on crimewatch. Ugh so sad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/crimewatch/appeals/2009/06/claudia_lawrence_investigation.shtml

[quote author=Lozz*in*Wonderland link=topic=19214.msg1547040#msg1547040 date=1267133146]
    Her father was just on crimewatch. Ugh so sad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/crimewatch/appeals/2009/06/claudia_lawrence_investigation.shtml
    [/quote]

I just watched this.  So sad.  I really wish her family could get some sort of closure either way

[quote author=leapfreak link=topic=19214.msg1547042#msg1547042 date=1267133242]
    I just watched this.  So sad.  I really wish her family could get some sort of closure either way
    [/quote]

Me too. I hope she walks into her parents house on Saturday, her 36th birthday. But i think she met foul play the day she went missing.

[quote author=Lozz*in*Wonderland link=topic=19214.msg1547048#msg1547048 date=1267133441]
    Me too. I hope she walks into her parents house on Saturday, her 36th birthday. But i think she met foul play the day she went missing.
    [/quote]

I agree.  I think if she was going to come back she would have by now.  I think something happened to her that day too

I'm watching the bill atm (shhh) i'm gonna watch crimewatch at 10...that poor family 

They said at the introduction to the show that they had new leads but it all seemed to be a bit clutching at straws. 

[quote author=leapfreak link=topic=19214.msg1547071#msg1547071 date=1267134112]
    They said at the introduction to the show that they had new leads but it all seemed to be a bit clutching at straws. 
    [/quote]

Yeah they didn't really say anything new, i think they have hit a wall of silence with the guys she was seeing that they have no new leads.

[quote author=Lozz*in*Wonderland link=topic=19214.msg1547118#msg1547118 date=1267136187]
    Yeah they didn't really say anything new, i think they have hit a wall of silence with the guys she was seeing that they have no new leads.
    [/quote]

Their new lead appeared to be that guy they showed near where she posted a letter.  All because they think he might have seen the weird interaction between two people.  They aren't even sure if one of those people seen together was Claudia.  It was all very vague. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1253624/New-CCTV-footage-missing-chef-Claudia-Lawrence-TV.html

A new lead in the mystery disappearance of chef Claudia Lawrence was produced after unseen CCTV footage was shown on Crimewatch last night.

The university chef has been missing for nearly a year and the programme was shown ahead of an awareness event today on the eve of her 36th birthday.
    Detective Sergeant Ray Galloway of North Yorkshire Police said the programme produced a new lead which meant officers would check a 'specific location'.
    In an update to the main programme, which was posted on the Crimewatch website, he said: 'It's a lead that will call upon us to check a specific location.

'It's a highly credible piece of information and something that we intend to act on quickly.'
    Witnesses also called in saying they saw a man and a woman arguing near the university where Miss Lawrence worked, he added.
    Miss Lawrence's father Peter Lawrence, 63, who has campaigned tirelessly since his daughter's disappearance, also appeared on the programme.

The 35-year-old from Heworth, North Yorkshire, has not been seen since March 18 and failed to arrive for work at the University of York the following morning.

Enlarge    Previously unseen CCTV footage of Miss Lawrence, shown leaving work on March 18. She has not been seen since
    CCTV footage from 5.20am on March 25, 2009 was broadcast on Crimewatch, showing a silver car being driven along Melrosegate in York.

The same vehicle was caught by cameras in the same location on March 18 and 19 - on the route Miss Lawrence walked to work.

She is believed to have set off for the university at between 5am and 5.30am as usual on the morning of March 19, but never arrived and has not been seen since.

North Yorkshire Police said they have not been able to find any subsequent appearances of the silver car on CCTV or by any other means of investigation.

Detectives want to identify the make and model of the vehicle to eliminate the driver and occupants from the investigation, which is now being treated as one of suspected murder.

Footage was also shown of Miss Lawrence leaving work around 2.30pm on March 18 and walking home.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1253624/New-CCTV-footage-missing-chef-Claudia-Lawrence-TV.html#ixzz0gdui8gRN

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1259665/The-5am-mystery-date-Claudias-friend-kept-secret---One-year-tantalising-new-clue-missing-chefs-hours.html

[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]The 5am mystery date that Claudia's friend kept secret ... One year on, a tantalising new clue about the missing chef's last hours[/size][/size][/size][/size]

Everything is as it was when she walked out her front door for the last time almost a year ago, with a rucksack containing her chef's whites. Her clothes, mostly with her favourite Next label, hang in the same order in the wardrobe.

Toiletries - 'always from Boots' - are arranged in the bathroom. The bed is neatly made-up. Her CDs, featuring local group The Dunwell Brothers, are untouched. The pillows on her sumptuous white sofa are just so.

A home, and a life, frozen in time, as police strive to answer a haunting question: 'What has become of Claudia Lawrence?'
    Nearly 3,000 witness statements, at least 240 properties searched, 1,270 calls to the incident room, appeals for information on the BBC Crimewatch programme, a £10,000 reward, Claudia's face on countless posters, and between 20 and 30 officers still working on one of the most troubling cases of recent times, which began when Claudia, the public school-educated daughter of a Yorkshire solicitor, vanished off the face of the earth last March.

All this - and not a single clue to indicate what may have happened to her, apart from, that is, the firmly held belief that the truth lies somewhere in Claudia Lawrence's 'complex and mysterious' private life; not our words, but those of Detective Superintendent Ray Galloway, the man leading the inquiry.
    He knows - all his team do - that it is 'extremely rare' for an adult woman to be snatched off the streets by a stranger. The statistical likelihood is Claudia went willingly with someone she already knew.

Some friends have been 'reluctant to be candid'
    Could it have been the 'mystery boyfriend' who went on a date with Claudia, a chef at York University, just two days before she went missing? The existence of this man was revealed last week on the first anniversary of Claudia's disappearance.
    The potentially crucial lead came from a colleague, who had previously been interviewed but has now remembered a conversation he had with Claudia days before she vanished, when she spoke about being out 'deep into the night, until around 4.30am or 5am' with a male companion the night before.
    Asked why the colleague had suddenly disclosed this information, Det Supt Galloway said it was a frustrating feature of the investigation that some (male) friends had been 'reluctant to be candid' with police.
    It means, of course, Claudia was involved with at least two men last March. The other man, known to police, was not married but was in a serious relationship and seeing Claudia secretly.

Might the 'mystery boyfriend' be in a similar position or could there be a much more sinister reason for his decision not to come forward?
    The development, whether it proves to be significant or not, has focused attention once again on the tangled web of relationships and affairs Claudia Lawrence left behind her, which detectives have not managed to unravel.
    Old flame: Insurance broker Dan Whitehand dated Claudia for two years

This is not meant to be a criticism of North Yorkshire Police, nor a slur on Claudia's reputation: it's just the way it is, however painful that might be for her family. The irony is that Claudia, who was 35 when she vanished, was in many ways an old-fashioned girl.
    She was not computer literate (Claudia did not even own a computer) and wouldn't countenance social networking sites. She paid the mortgage on her two-bedroom £180,000 cottage in the Heworth district of York promptly and had only one credit card, which she paid off each month.
    Yet, over the past five years, she'd had 12 lovers of whom detectives are aware, half of whom were either married or had partners.
    Though she had close friends, Claudia managed to juggle her suitors without always revealing their existence.
    Many, if not all, of her romantic liaisons were forged at the Nag's Head pub, four doors down from her terraced home. Claudia would have a pint of cider and talk about her favourite guilty pleasures on TV (Hollyoaks and, at the time, Mistresses) with her friends.
    Lock-ins were not uncommon.
    Sometimes the 'party' continued back at Claudia's house.
    It was here, about three years ago, that she met scrap metal merchant Lee Horwell, 38, a married father of two.
    The affair lasted only a couple of months. It came to light, say locals, when a guilt-racked Mr Horwell confessed to his wife because he couldn't 'live with himself'.
    'Lee wasn't alone, she was seeing a couple of other married men too,' said one. Mr Horwell and his wife, who were childhood sweethearts, are now living separately in York.

Very few people knew what she did at home
    Before Lee Horwell, there was insurance broker Dan Whitehand, 34, who dated Claudia for two years, and before Whitehand, 46-year-old roofer Paddy McGinty.
    Although not married, he too was in a relationship and the father of a young child at the time.
    His affair with Claudia was common knowledge. Mr McGinty's long-term partner was also aware of it. It was also at the Nag's Head that Claudia met Steve Sammons about five years ago. They have enjoyed a close friendship ever since.
    Mr Sammons, a building site labourer, now lives in Cyprus. It was Mr Sammons, we can now confirm, who sent Claudia the final text message she received at 9.12pm on March 18, 2009, hours before she was reported missing.
    Claudia had stayed with Mr Sammons in the past and was planning to do so again shortly before she disappeared.
    Speaking from his home in the village of Peyia, near Paphos, yesterday, Mr Sammons, 36, told how he has already been interviewed by detectives who travelled to the Mediterranean island.
    Tireless: Peter Lawrence has made constant appeals for information on his missing daughter, Claudia
    'They spoke to me for more than three hours,' he said. 'I co-operated with them throughout, from day one. I just want Claudia to be found.'
    In fact, police have spoken to Mr Sammons - who denies he was ever romantically involved with Claudia - frequently over the past year. The last time was just a few weeks ago.
    'They asked me whether I could think of anything that had occurred to me over the past few months that might help the inquiry as they approached the first anniversary of Claudia's disappearance,' he said.
    'One way or another, I just want a resolution to it, just like her family. Either she is out there missing or, the worst case scenario, she's not. I just want closure. We all do.'
    The last sighting of Claudia Lawrence, a vivacious, brown-eyed blonde, was on the afternoon of Wednesday, March 18, last year when CCTV cameras recorded her strolling breezily past shops at Melrosegate in York after leaving work.
    She is seen pausing to post a letter before heading towards her cottage, no more than three miles away.
    That evening she telephoned her parents - who are divorced - chatting idly about her life and arranging to meet her father for a drink later in the week. But that brief footage is the last time anyone saw Claudia Lawrence.
    The following morning - Thursday, March 19 - she failed to turn up at York University for her 6am shift.
    But it was not until that evening, when she was due to meet her best friend Suzy Cooper in the Nag's Heads, that concerns were raised about her whereabouts.
    Suzy rang Claudia's father, Peter. Mr Lawrence then went round to his daughter's home and let himself in with his spare keys.
    'Her slippers were inside the front room, her jewellery was in her bedroom and her bank card and passport were there,' he said. 'There was nothing out of place.'
    But there was no sign of Claudia nor her chef's whites, her phone or her bag.
    Hours later, her phone disconnected from the mobile network. Her bank accounts have remained untouched.
    Police still cannot be sure if she went missing on that Wednesday evening, soon after she was captured on CCTV, or sometime on Thursday morning. We just don't know.
    'It has been very difficult for us to find out about Claudia's private life,' admitted Det Supt Galloway.
    'She "compartmentalised'' sections of her life very effectively, such as work and friends. Very few people knew everything about her. Very few people knew exactly what she did when she went home and closed the doors behind her.
    'The curtains were often drawn, which is almost a metaphor for her life.'
    'It is really very scary that it is now a year on but we are no closer to finding out what has happened to Claudia,' says her friend Suzy Cooper. 'But the one thing I am sure of is that she would never simply disappear of her own free will.'
    The effect this has had on her mother Joan, 66, who is deputy Mayor of Malton, near York, and her father Peter, a prominent Yorkshire solicitor, is impossible to put into words.
    But in an interview with her local paper last week, Mrs Lawrence said: 'The pain never goes away, the emptiness inside me. There are reminders all over my flat, presents, notes, cards and photographs.
    'Many is the time I come across something by accident and stop and shed a tear.' Mrs Lawrence, of course, has stayed very much in the background. Mr Lawrence, on the other hand, has campaigned tirelessly to keep the case in the public eye.
    He has spent most of this very painful week in front of TV cameras both in Leeds and London, but admits he no longer knows what to believe. However, he expressed anger at the apparent lack of cooperation - for whatever reason - by some of those who knew his beautiful daughter.
    Asked about the most recent 'lead', he replied: 'It is unbelievable that someone who has been interviewed by police has suddenly remembered a conversation he had with Claudia shortly before she disappeared. I am shocked that it has taken so long for someone to come forward with this information.'
    Whether this latest development will lead to the solving of this peculiarly affecting case still remains to be seen.
    But one thing is for certain: someone, somewhere, knows exactly where Claudia Lawrence is.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1259665/The-5am-mystery-date-Claudias-friend-kept-secret---One-year-tantalising-new-clue-missing-chefs-hours.html#ixzz0it6Fur0v

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/8585832.stm

York district searched in Claudia Lawrence inquiry 

Claudia Lawrence has not been seen since March 2009
    Police investigating the disappearance of York chef Claudia Lawrence are carrying out new searches in an area of the city.

Officers said the operation, which started on Tuesday in an area known as The Outgang in Heslington, would take up to three days.

North Yorkshire Police said the search was the result of information received "in the last few days".

Miss Lawrence was last seen leaving her workplace on 18 March 2009.

A police spokesman said the searches, which stopped for the night at about 1700 GMT, were not connected to an appeal earlier this month in which detectives said they wanted to speak to a "mystery boyfriend" she spent the night with two nights before she vanished.

Her disappearance is being treated as suspected murder.

Police dogs

The area being searched by police is land close to the University of York, where Ms Lawrence worked. North Yorkshire Police said ten officers and three dogs were involved in the operation.

Numerous appeals for information have been made by her father and the hunt for her has taken detectives to Cyprus and the Republic of Ireland.

Miss Lawrence was first reported missing after failing to turn up for her early-morning shift at the University of York's Goodricke College on 19 March, 2009.

The Claudia Lawrence investigation is one of the largest ever carried out by North Yorkshire Police and has so far cost more than £600,000.

During the inquiry, hundreds of properties have been searched, including at Miss Lawrence's local pub, the Nag's Head, just a few doors from her home in Heworth Road.

Rivers in the York area have also been scoured. The searches will resume on Thursday.

There is a photo of the area at the link, its really not that far away at all. Sounds like they expect to find her body here.

[quote author=Lozz*in*Wonderland link=topic=19214.msg1573851#msg1573851 date=1269459715]
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/8585832.stm

There is a photo of the area at the link, its really not that far away at all. Sounds like they expect to find her body here.
    [/quote]

I know they've been treating Claudia's disappearance as a murder inquiry for a while but I was really hoping she'd just turn up one day.  I really feel for her family.  I've seen her dad interviewed several times and it's always heartbreaking.  I hope she's alive but at least if they find her body her family might be able to get some sort of closure.  It must be a nightmare living with not knowing what happened or where she is :(

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Claudia-Lawrence-Police-Hunting-For-Missing-York-Chef-Search-House-In-Recent-Development/Article/201005415638311?lpos=UK_News_Carousel_Region_4&amp ;lid=ARTICLE_15638311_Claudia_Lawrence%3A_Police_H unting_For_Missing_York_Chef_Search_House_In_Recen t_Development

Police investigating the disappearance of university chef Claudia Lawrence have spent two days searching a house about ten miles from her home.

North Yorkshire Police said this was the result of a "recent development".

A team of about 20 officers, including divers, have been searching the property and the land around it in the village of Ellerton, East Yorkshire.

Miss Lawrence was 35 when she vanished on March 18 last year.

She was last seen near her home and failed to arrive for her job as a chef at the University of York the following morning.

The search is thought to be over but police are giving no further details.

The house is the latest in a series that officers have searched in connection with Miss Lawrence's disappearance, which detectives are treating as a murder inquiry.

No arrests have been made in the case.

Olivia

POLICE searching for missing chef Claudia Lawrence are investigating to see if there are any links with the killings of three prostitutes in Bradford.

Claudia, from York went missing in March last year, and despite a huge operation to find her no trace has been found.

Now officers from North Yorkshire are speaking to colleagues in West Yorkshire after "Crossbow Cannibal" Stephen Griffiths was accused of the alleged murder of the three women.

A North Yorkshire spokesman said: "Consultations will take place with our colleagues to ensure that any factors that are common to both cases are identified and investigated promptly."

Claudia, 36, was reported missing after she failed to turn up for work at York University at 6am on March 19 last year.

Miss Lawrence left her cards, cash and passport behind but her mobile phone – a silver Samsung D900 – and blue Karrimor rucksack, in which she carried her chef’s whites, have still not been found.

Last week police spent two days at a property in Ellerton, a village in East Yorkshire. A team of officers scoured the nearby areas and removed a number of undisclosed items in bags.

According to reports police were following a lead about a man living in the village who knew Claudia.

Meanwhile, Griffiths is accused of kidnapping and murdering three prostitutes, Suzanne Blamires between May 20 and the 25, Shelley Armitage, 31, between April 23 and May 25 and mother-of-three Susan Rushmore, 43, between June 22 last year and May 25.

When asked his name in court he replied: "The Crossbow Cannibal".

His arrest was sparked when parts of the dismembered body of mother-of-three Suzanne Blamires was found in a river. According to police she was shot with a crossbow.

Griffiths was arrested last Monday by armed police at his Bradford block of flats.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/news/nort...9310-26550271/

:-o I can't imagine how Claudia's family are feeling after hearing this news.
    I just checked to see how far it is from Stephen Griffiths address to York University- it says it's nearly 45 miles, so more than possible he could have taken her :-(

As anyone else been thinking for a while that she might of been involved in the sex business? I have been wondering for a while and assumed she would of been a escort or higher class call girl.

Hmm i dunno if she will be linked to this guy tho, i think he would of boasted about it.

Thread Information