Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 LastLast

Thread: Yard & Garden (Indoor/Outdoor)

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I'm just about in tears right now. Pests were eating away at my flowers and veggies so I looked up natural ways to fend them off. The number one suggestion was peppermint oil mixed with water and to spray them. So that is what I did. It seemed to work great for the veggies, but now I'm sitting here watching all of my flowers dying because apparently peppermint oil kills them as well!

I'm watching wilted flower by wilted flower dying away. I soaked them all good with water to try to help, but I think it's too late
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I'm just about in tears right now. Pests were eating away at my flowers and veggies so I looked up natural ways to fend them off. The number one suggestion was peppermint oil mixed with water and to spray them. So that is what I did. It seemed to work great for the veggies, but now I'm sitting here watching all of my flowers dying because apparently peppermint oil kills them as well!

I'm watching wilted flower by wilted flower dying away. I soaked them all good with water to try to help, but I think it's too late
    I'm so sorry!
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    I'm so sorry!
    There's a couple of them rallying and it hopefully won't affect blossoms that haven't happened yet, but yeah. It feels like I killed so many of my babies without realizing I was doing anything wrong. You know what they say about good intentions......

Hard lesson learned. I need to do more research on what actually works best. I don't want to use chemical pesticides because there's so much other wildlife other than aphids etc that travel through here and our own dogs that I don't want to get sick from it. Yet, the plants and flowers were getting decimated overnight by pests.

Back to the books.

It's been an annoying day, but this makes up for it. I'm having, Salmon again and I have even MORE peas from the garden to enjoy. Sweet Peas are BY FAR the best crop we've managed to grow thus far, although there's corn coming.

I'm so suprised and happy that I've been able to cultivate these many peas. I'm a fan.

Keep in mind that our back yard is 90% concrete and we're in the city. So I'm just happy that we're able to make anything happen.

This is the stuff that excites me these days. I'm old and I don't care because this shit is awesome.

Those peas look delicious!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Those peas look delicious!!
    They were! I'm so happy that they grow so well here. They're almost done so I'll be ripping out the old and planting more soon.

The gladiolas are starting to bloom and the purple calla lilies finally bloomed. The tiger lilies are about the bloom, or at least I think that's the type of lilies these are. Most of the lilies still haven't bloomed so I'm not sure which ones are which.

Those are so GORGEOUS! I'm just trying to save my garden from becoming dust in this heat. I hate Summer.

The Husband found a couple of potatoes with sprouts from the store. So he planted them to see what would happen. He was convinced that they couldn't grow in our little ten by one foot of soil. He was wrong.

And now the Summer Squash and Cucumbers are starting to arrive

p?an

And now the Summer Squash and Cucumbers are starting to arrive

You're making me really regret not getting off my butt more and planting my vegetable garden this spring. They look delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    You're making me really regret not getting off my butt more and planting my vegetable garden this spring. They look delicious!
    Welp. The cucumber is VILE. And when I say "vile"? I mean NONE MORE VILE, BITTER AS BILE... VILE VILE VILE.

Apparently cucumbers like to grow in cooler to moderate temps and are very sensitive to heat and like constant to moderate moisture. And it shows. I'm not ready to give up on the rest coming in yet, but if the next one tastes like I'm biting in to aspirin tablets then I'm going to have to scrap the entire crop.

I'm so sad about it. I hope the Squash is okay. I have the sads.

You can add this to the long list of reasons why I HATE the heat, but it's all experimental at the moment trying to be a "Farmer" with a postage stamp of "soil" on the surface of the sun. So far the winners are Potatoes, Sweet Peas and Tomatoes. I'll keep trying.
    Last edited by Boston Babe 73; 07-09-2021 at 03:01 PM.

Welp. The cucumber is VILE. And when I say "vile"? I mean NONE MORE VILE, BITTER AS BILE... VILE VILE VILE.

Apparently cucumbers like to grow in cooler to moderate temps and are very sensitive to heat and like constant to moderate moisture. And it shows. I'm not ready to give up on the rest coming in yet, but if the next one tastes like I'm biting in to aspirin tablets then I'm going to have to scrap the entire crop.

I'm so sad about it. I hope the Squash is okay. I have the sads.

You can add this to the long list of reasons why I HATE the heat, but it's all experimental at the moment trying to be a "Farmer" with a postage stamp of "soil" on the surface of the sun. So far the winners are Potatoes, Sweet Peas and Tomatoes. I'll keep trying.
    Yes. They don't like it too hot...but also, you left it too long. Pick them while they are still dark green, before they get any yellow. The hotter and drier it is, the sooner you need to pick cukes.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Yes. They don't like it too hot...but also, you left it too long. Pick them while they are still dark green, before they get any yellow. The hotter and drier it is, the sooner you need to pick cukes.
    That's the crazy thing. That mutant cucumber showed up overnight. I've watered over there twice per day and never saw it. It's like it appeared overnight and I was FLOORED. Because I had been watching and waiting with nothing but nubs forever but this freak of nature just blew up out of nowhere. The rest are still small and green and about the size of gerkins right now. That's why I'm not giving up on them yet.

Also, when looking and harvesting, gloves are your friend. I don't need stickers everywhere.

That's the crazy thing. That mutant cucumber showed up overnight. I've watered over there twice per day and never saw it. It's like it appeared overnight and I was FLOORED. Because I had been watching and waiting with nothing but nubs forever but this freak of nature just blew up out of nowhere. The rest are still small and green and about the size of gerkins right now. That's why I'm not giving up on them yet.

Also, when looking and harvesting, gloves are your friend. I don't need stickers everywhere.
    kind of like bananas... They're green, They're green, They're yel ,They're brown.

Good luck with the rest of the crop!

RBW, those are GORGEOUS. I'm so jealous of your flowers.

RBW, those are GORGEOUS. I'm so jealous of your flowers.
    And I am jealous of your veggies! Thanks!

So I have been staying out of this thread because I hate gardening and all that, but I have been thinking of putting in some potted flowers in front of my house. Since I suck at keeping things alive, I was hoping someone would be able to suggest some pretty flowers that are easy to maintain? Are all flowers the same and you just have to make sure to water them? I know nothing when it comes to this stuff lol.

And I know succulents are easy but I don't want those. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

So I have been staying out of this thread because I hate gardening and all that, but I have been thinking of putting in some potted flowers in front of my house. Since I suck at keeping things alive, I was hoping someone would be able to suggest some pretty flowers that are easy to maintain? Are all flowers the same and you just have to make sure to water them? I know nothing when it comes to this stuff lol.

And I know succulents are easy but I don't want those. Any ideas?
    All flowers are different with their requirements (partial sun, full sun, shade, fertilizer, amount of water, etc). Do you have a plant nursery nearby? Don't go to Lowes or HD for advice they usually don't know jack. If you have a nursery go in and talk to them and tell them you want SUPER SIMPLE, low care plants and tell them about the area you want to put them. They will be able to recommend something. Also, you probably want perennials as opposed to annuals, since they will come back each year and you won't have to mess with replanting each year...you'll still have to potentially separate plants if they get crowded, but overall less work IMO. Also, do you have a color preference? If so, tell them that too. And post pics when you do it, we wanna see!

All flowers are different with their requirements (partial sun, full sun, shade, fertilizer, amount of water, etc). Do you have a plant nursery nearby? Don't go to Lowes or HD for advice they usually don't know jack. If you have a nursery go in and talk to them and tell them you want SUPER SIMPLE, low care plants and tell them about the area you want to put them. They will be able to recommend something. Also, you probably want perennials as opposed to annuals, since they will come back each year and you won't have to mess with replanting each year...you'll still have to potentially separate plants if they get crowded, but overall less work IMO. Also, do you have a color preference? If so, tell them that too. And post pics when you do it, we wanna see!
    I was just planning on getting some pretty pots and having the flowers in there. The place I was to put them is all rocks, against the front of my house, so I thought I would pretty it up a little. I'm not sure where there is a nursery, I have never bothered to look for one so will have to do that. I was told a Green Acres is being built right by my house, but who knows how long until it is up and running.

This was just a random idea I had, I think I have just been bored and wanting to decorate. I bought some cute things to decorate my new dressers, and I am saving up to remodel my kitchen. I think I am finally turning into an adult and wanting to do stuff I used to never really care.

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

I was just planning on getting some pretty pots and having the flowers in there. The place I was to put them is all rocks, against the front of my house, so I thought I would pretty it up a little. I'm not sure where there is a nursery, I have never bothered to look for one so will have to do that. I was told a Green Acres is being built right by my house, but who knows how long until it is up and running.

This was just a random idea I had, I think I have just been bored and wanting to decorate. I bought some cute things to decorate my new dressers, and I am saving up to remodel my kitchen. I think I am finally turning into an adult and wanting to do stuff I used to never really care.
    You could also just go to HD or Lowes and wander the plant area until you see something you like. Then look and see if it's full sun, shade, etc. Annuals die every year, perennials come back. If you're just wanting a little color that might be the way to go, and just get a few and see how things go.

You could also just go to HD or Lowes and wander the plant area until you see something you like. Then look and see if it's full sun, shade, etc. Annuals die every year, perennials come back. If you're just wanting a little color that might be the way to go, and just get a few and see how things go.
    Yeah I think that is the way to go. I could just browse and when I see something I like, google it. I'm sure google will know more than the employees.

Yeah I think that is the way to go. I could just browse and when I see something I like, google it. I'm sure google will know more than the employees.
    Most of them have little tags on them too that tell you the basic jist of it, you shouldn't even have to google. Good luck!

If you contact your local Ag agent or master gardener they would love to give you suggestions based on your location... you can't shut them up really! https://ahsgardening.org/gardening-r...ter-gardeners/

Thread Information