Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Yard & Garden (Indoor/Outdoor)

Totally awesome TH!!!! The jar is booooootiful. I got my jqrs at Walmart too. But I put timed led votives in and hung them with some twine.

I wish I could take a good pic of our garden all lit up.

Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
    Thanks for the inspiration! I started working on some jar lights right after you posted the pic :)

First of all, if you like your flesh and fingernails in one piece, don't even try cutting jar lids. OMG. I had several spaghetti sauce jars, and my husband and I struggled through cutting lids (with various tools actually meant for cutting metal). It was so frustrating. When they were done, they were jagged nightmares. And they were bloody.

So ... I bought some mason jars. (The Walmart by me had green jars, but no blue ... but I wanted clear anyway.) I wrapped the solar light with two-sided foam tape and jammed it in the ring part of the jar lid.

I got the solar lights for a buck each. I used some kids' suncatcher paint that I already had to paint some jars. I used silver spray paint on the lids, simply because I already had it from making Christmas ornaments. I'm done with this one ... I will probably keep it on my front porch, because I doubt the suncatcher paint will survive the elements for very long (and because I don't really have anywhere great to hang them). I need to get some different paint when I get a chance.

I have a few others I'm not done with yet.

And I'll tell ya ... this thing doesn't provide much light. It glows, and it's pretty, but those little solar lights provide a lot more light when they're in the multi-facted plastic things they come in. Fyi.
    I actually just did mine today also. I got the blue jars off of Amazon. They were like 10 bucks for 6. I bought the dollar lights at Dollar Tree. I ended up just taking my solar lights apart and putting the solar panel and bulb into the jar. They are lit up, but like you said they are not that bright.

The paint is cool! I saw some frosted jars (frosted paint on the outside) that might be cool, but I bet they are very dim. I have six in the yard right now but I think I am going to add another 6 for effect.

Mason jar s all around!!

They're grainy because I had to mess with the exposure on my phone to get them to come out at night. Also, cuz they be phone pix. Eventually I'll get daytime photos up here. Mebe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    They're grainy because I had to mess with the exposure on my phone to get them to come out at night. Also, cuz they be phone pix. Eventually I'll get daytime photos up here. Mebe.
    AWESOME
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I have tons of tiny maters on my tomato plants! Yay! I can't wait to make some homemade salsa.

Here's our new garden area on May 14 after I finished planting everything.

Center back are the sunflowers, and there are tomatoes on both sides of those (you can see the cages). In front of the sunflowers are my puny bell peppers (they're still puny even now ... idk wtf). And the other side areas are tiny seedlings you can't see ... a variety of flowers. Everything in the garden was grown from seed other than the geraniums and lantana. And UGH! My formerly-glorious red geraniums have a bacterial blight. I'm doctoring them but not sure they'll recover. It gives me the sads.

(My strawberry patch is at the far end behind the garden.)

And here is the garden (in parts) yesterday. My marigolds (to the left) are huge but not yet blooming. Petunias are starting to bloom nicely (and are quite tall compared to store-bought petunias, don't know why) ... still waiting on the snapdragon and verbena, but they're gettin there. The tomato plants seem quite happy.

Got a bit of a surprise from my sunflowers this year ... this is the third year I bought those mini greenhouses for little kids for our sunflowers (and maters). The first two years, the sunflowers were the super-tall ones with one flower head. This year, they're the short ones with multiple flowers. I like em! Although, if I'd known they would be so bushy, I woulda given them a lil more space. Also, the four volunteers that I pulled out of the yard (from the bird seed) are the tall variety, so I have a few super-tall sunflowers popping up out of the bunch, haha.

This one has four more blooms on it already!

Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Looks nice TH.

My tomatoes are also growing like crazy. We are actually surprised at how fast they have been growing.

I finished my pallet project. Last week, I finally set the pallet upright. All my herbs are growing very nice. The pallet project was a PITA. I def. don't think I will mess with it again. With all the dirt in that thing- it's almost impossible to move. BUT the plants do seem to love it. Especially the strawberries.

My husband is still working on that damn shed.

Walmart caught on to how popular those mason solar lights were. They now make/sell them.

This is the dresser remodel that I just finished for my daughter.

Notice the dark color. That was the color of the whole thing until I sanded.

It really was an ugly, big old dresser.

We decided to make it smaller, and attach the rails to make a baby changing table. So we lost an extra drawer

After sanding and washing the wood down..... I noticed it really was OAK wood. Oak is not my favorite wood at all. I don't know why I didn't realize that at first. At this point, I was thinking of scrapping the whole project. My husband convinced me to finish it b/c he actually thought it was looking nice.

After painting it a nice natural color then POLY'ing it, I was starting to feel a little better about it

Finally!

Uh oh. After all that work......I realized that I didn't even check and make sure a baby pad would even fit on it. I had to run and go get one. Presto. Prefect!

And just as a little joke between me and my daughter (mostly about her having a boy)- I had to line the drawers in pink stripe.

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    Looks nice TH.

My tomatoes are also growing like crazy. We are actually surprised at how fast they have been growing.

I finished my pallet project. Last week, I finally set the pallet upright. All my herbs are growing very nice. The pallet project was a PITA. I def. don't think I will mess with it again. With all the dirt in that thing- it's almost impossible to move. BUT the plants do seem to love it. Especially the strawberries.

My husband is still working on that damn shed.

Walmart caught on to how popular those mason solar lights were. They now make/sell them.

Isn't it funny how something that seems so wonderfully simple (the pallet) can turn out to be so damn aggravating? I'm sure it is heavy ... I'm pretty strong for a midget, but I get so frustrated trying to move around big bags of garden soil. A few weeks ago, I thought that maybe letting out a primal scream and yanking the bag as hard as I could might do the trick, but all I did was rip open the bag and spill dirt all over the patio. Then I cussed a lot.

Lol at your husband still working on the shed. Men ... what would we do without them? hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post

Finally!
    Wow, Berm, that's awesome! I'm sure it was a lot of work. Great job, Mema. (Tee hee I couldn't resist!) Congrats on the grandbaby. When will we be welcoming him to Earth?
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Peaches!

Only had about a dozen peaches on the tree since we had a frost after it began blooming. Not very many peaches but they are huge and perfect.

Last edited by marycontrary; 07-14-2014 at 03:15 PM.

I"m so annoyed! We planted a bunch of lovely flowers and my husband never worked on our irrigation system so they all dried up and died. Also, regardless of me saying "we need to water the lawn to keep it green for the parties I'm hosting out here" husband never set that up and/or kept the poop cleaned up SO the lawn is all brown now and I'm having a garden party in a week. He has to do these things because I physically am unable so it REALLY pisses me off when he says "ok" and then doesn't do it. Our backyard looks like shit now and I'm embarrassed to have a damn party out there!

I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Smartass! Though I wouldn't be surprised if some of our neighbors used it.

Not that I'm not considering that shit!

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Smartass! Though I wouldn't be surprised if some of our neighbors used it.

Not that I'm not considering that shit!
    I would TOTALLY do it lol. But then again, brown grass is nothing new in my drought town. Using that here would not only be acceptable, you'd be considered a conservation hero and Daryl Hannah would show up to your garden party demanding tofu.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I"m so annoyed! We planted a bunch of lovely flowers and my husband never worked on our irrigation system so they all dried up and died. Also, regardless of me saying "we need to water the lawn to keep it green for the parties I'm hosting out here" husband never set that up and/or kept the poop cleaned up SO the lawn is all brown now and I'm having a garden party in a week. He has to do these things because I physically am unable so it REALLY pisses me off when he says "ok" and then doesn't do it. Our backyard looks like shit now and I'm embarrassed to have a damn party out there!
    My backyard is mostly zoysia thanks to my neighbor planting it under a swing set 20 some yrs ago. It spread and took over pretty quickly and at first we were kind of annoyed with it, but grew to love it. It never needs water and weeds can't seem to be able to grow through the thick turf. We don't feed it and we don't use any weed killers. We do treat it for bugs including fleas because of the pets and it helps keep the peaches from being buggy. It's hard to mow because it is so thick and early spring you have to cut it super low to get rid of the dead stuff from the previous summer. My front yard is 60% dead. Last winter was rough on it and it gets little sunshine due to a huge oak tree. I bit the bullet and moved some sod from the backyard to the front and within 3yrs the front will be zoysia. My neighbor might be unhappy about it, but he started it.

Several years ago I planted a bunch of flowers near the house and used bags of garden soil. Unfortunately, the garden soil broke down over the years and the bed sort of sunk. Since it was the whole rear of the house, we began having wet basement walls in the spring, so this whole summer has been spent enlarging that garden (those tiny plants were perfectly spaced when I planted, I had no clue they would get huge and become a crowded mess. We removed each plant, brought in 3cubic yards of topsoil and replanted. I was glad to get rid of some mutant hostas from that bed. They were causing my air conditioner to trip the circuit because it couldn't get air flow surrounded by them. I'm lazy and don't do annuals.

I can't get flowers to bloom in the front yard. Even shade loving plants won't bloom. I planted vinca vine in the front and put some fake flowers in it. LOL, I get compliments on my pretty flowers and not one of them is real.

nothing wrong with fake flowers. My daughter is working on welding me some fake flowers for my front yard.

I would love some cool yard art. Some iron stuff that would rust and turn bright orange. A few years back I saw some metal cranes about 5 feet tall and they would pivot at the legs in the wind, sort of like those perpetual motion toy birds that dip their beaks in a glass of water. Too bad they were out of my price range.

So I had the wonderful idea planting my garden in late January while I was on soma and viccodan now I have no idea what is growing where! I have figure a few out, carrots, corn, etc but there's is really huge one right in middle but I'm not sure what it is I will go take some photos.

Mommy to: Misty-Allison-Elliot-Sebastian-Quinn
    And our newest rugrat MISS MARLEE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinatedkat View Post
    So I had the wonderful idea planting my garden in late January while I was on soma and viccodan now I have no idea what is growing where! I have figure a few out, carrots, corn, etc but there's is really huge one right in middle but I'm not sure what it is I will go take some photos.
    time will tell... do you actually have to know which is what to keep them alive? anyone can see i'm not much of a gardener at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

I have a black thumb. My husband loves to garden though. He wants a farm someday. :)

Okay so this is my work in progress as you can see the right-hand side of my garden is not growing because the sun is not hitting it so I'm going to plant some vegetables that already have started to sprout there and hopefully they'll keep growing. Also I really hate my new neighbors they sit out there all day and talk and drink so I planted 7 foot sunflowers against the fence two days ago we should see in the next week or so if they're going to sprout and if they do I should not have to see my neighbors by early June LOL

Oh and I really want to make these for my patio. I do not have a whole lot of room to work with but I really want to highlight my garden area and kind of do a country/ shabby chic look. The entire other side of my yard is dedicated to the kids LOL

Thread Information