Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Maureen "Anu" Kelly - went on a spiritual quest into the woods while naked - 10 June 2013

Maureen "Anu" Kelly - went on a spiritual quest into the woods while naked - 10 June 2013

http://www.katu.com/news/local/19-ye...210820601.html

A 19-year-old woman who went on a "spiritual quest" wearing only a fanny pack is now missing and a search and rescue effort is underway to find her.

Maureen Kelly, 19, of Vancouver left Canyon Creek Campground (located east of Amboy, Wash., in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest) just after 5 p.m. Sunday.

According to Undersheriff Dave Cox with the Skamania County Sheriff's Office, the woman walked away from the campground around 5 p.m. Sunday. She was in the nude and had only a fanny pack with her and little, if any, equipment or supplies with her.

"We had a fairly mild evening last night with temperatures in the lower 50s," Cox said. "We have set up a command post in the area and currently are utilizing ground search teams in the immediate area in an attempt to locate her this morning."

The Canyon Creek area is steep and mountainous with heavy timber and brush. Searchers don't know whether she was on a road or trail or if she is moving cross country.

Searchers plan to continue sweeping the area for Kelly until nightfall.

Both Clark County and Hood River County are helping with the search.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Oh, now they're gonna spend $50,000 to find this moron? Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

She did what?? Do you guys have a major lack of burrs & bindi's & things that bite & sting?? What the fuck is she supposed to sit on?? (apart from the obvious I mean). This one is just ridiculously crazy?? Of course I'm seeing this from an Australian bushwalk in the summer point of view, so maybe I've got it completely wrong & it's not really as crazy as it sounds to me. I hope she was at least wearing sunblock & aerogard?

ETA - yep. proof again that I shouldn't post after midnight here because I make incredibly stupid posts. It should've been immediately obvious to me that in HUGE areas of my own country, often in the bitiest areas, clothing has only become popular in the last few hundred years. This edit applies to any other stupid posts I've made on this page.
    Last edited by blighted star; 06-14-2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: really stupid comment

Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs (or go naked into the woods)

Im thinking she was mental perhaps. Or was high on something.

Apparently some do let their friends go naked in the woods? (yes, I was compelled to search "naked hiker" after reading this)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/...51825B20090209

I just don't get it, maybe none of these hiking areas have nasty bugs like bull ants?

Quote Originally Posted by White trash bitchy blonde View Post
    Im thinking she was mental perhaps. Or was high on something.
    This is exactly the case with the college student I just found on youtube. Mushrooms. She copped quite a bit of shit but at least she's ok.
    I hope this girl is too. She won't think so, but she's just a kid. She's going to be pretty messed up when it all wears off - whether it was drugs or just a sudden need to search for enlightenment. Being lost like that would be terrifying fully-clothed & prepared. It's comical in theory, but the reality's pretty fucking awful.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...ouver_tee.html

Two search and rescue teams set off Monday morning in Gifford Pinchot National Forest, hoping to find a young Vancouver woman who was last seen Sunday walking away from a campsite wearing only a fanny pack.

The 19-year-old told a friend that she was going on some sort of spiritual journey when she set off from the Canyon Creek Campground about 5 p.m. Sunday, said Dave Cox, Skamania County undersheriff. "She was stark naked," he said.

The young woman was supposed to come back that night, but didn't. Cox said the friend reported her missing Monday after midnight. Police did not release their identities.

Cox said the fanny pack contained a small knife, a compass and perhaps some other items. Temperatures dipped to the low 50s overnight, he said.

"I don't know if she took off on a trail or what," he said.

The area, about 60 miles from Portland, is heavily wooded. Cox said the two teams, with about four or five people each, will first search the most likely places where she might be.

The sheriff's office has asked neighboring communities for more search and rescue volunteers.

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    I just don't get it, maybe none of these hiking areas have nasty bugs like bull ants?
    Bugs are the least of her problems
    Wildlife species that are hunted include deer, elk, black bear, cougar, mountain goats, and small game species of grouse, bobcat, coyote, fox, raccoon, and rabbits.
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/giffordpinchot/about-forest

I don't think it was mushrooms. "Spiritual quest" in the nude = Wiccan wannabe tree-hugger IMO
    Maybe the friend is not telling the truth.
    Last edited by I doubt it; 06-11-2013 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PCP777 View Post
    Is that a dude?

This happened only a few miles from where we live.

There are not a lot of bugs, snakes, etc. here. It is also fairly temperate, too.

Local coverage:

Search for missing, naked Vancouver woman continues today

By Emily Gillespie
    Columbian staff writer
    Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The search for a Vancouver woman who is reportedly naked and missing in Skamania County is scheduled to continue this morning.

Maureen Kelly, 19, was last seen Sunday afternoon about 5 p.m. in a campground in Canyon Creek, an area in west Skamania County. She left on a "spiritual quest" on foot and did not return that evening like she was supposed to. A friend reported her missing about seven hours later.

She was wearing only a fanny pack that contained a compass and a knife.

Canyon Creek is steep and mountainous with heavy timber and brush, said Dave Cox, Skamania County Undersheriff.

Search crews were suspended at 8 p.m. Monday evening. The search today will be operated out of Amboy and will involve searching in vehicles.

"We are asking anyone from the public that may have been in the area of Canyon Creek and the FS 54 road system within the last 24 hours to contact our office if they may have seen Ms Kelly on her quest," Cox said.
    http://www.columbian.com/news/2013/j...continues-tod/

FS 54 road system is a Forest Service road.

<snip>

"We had a fairly mild evening last night, with temperatures in the lower 50s," Cox said. "We have several search and rescue personnel currently deployed and will continue operations till nightfall."

<snip>
    http://www.columbian.com/news/2013/j...sing-skamania/

This is also near where Marie Hanson died at a Rainbow Family Gathering in July of 2011: http://mydeathspace.com/article/2011...nbow_Gathering

Another woman who went mushroom hunting went missing in this same area in December of last year as well.

It costs hundreds of thousands of dollars for the SAR operations for missing/overdue hikers every year here in Washington.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Some people's children....Just shaking my head...For once there ain't a whole lot that I can say except, I hope this kid is ok.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

Photos of the area in this article from the UK

...'Where she entered the creek is amazingly steep. It?s called Canyon Creek Campground for a reason,' Sharon Ward of Pacific Crest Search Dogs told KPTV. 'It?s very, very steep. So how she got down there barefoot is a wonder. And how she came up out of the bottom is a wonder.'

After the paved road, the Kelly's tracks stopped. On Monday the search team attempted to find where Kelly left the path and entered the woods.

Last edited by nestlequikie; 06-11-2013 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Added the referenced pictures.

My dad has a cabin in Washington, and just being outside in the dark near the cabin, freaked me out (but I'm a scaredy cat LOL). I was so freaked out a bear would come along, and I refuse to take my dog there for that reason. Oh and the bugs are everywhere. But again, I'm a total sissy when it comes to bugs. Hop this girl is found safe but it's not looking good. If she doesn't die from just being out in the woods, or get mauled by a bear, she could've gotten kidnapped (which crossed my mind when they said her tracks left after she hit the pavement). I mean, there probably isn't a lot of people around, but if a perv sees a naked girl walking around?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Classic mushrooms/acid shenanigans.

How I giggle every time I hear the word fanny pack. It's literally the worst.

I never could get the whole 'shroom thing. Why would anyone feel the need to go digging around in cowshit to harvest what grows there and then ingest? Kinda like actively seeking out toads to lick. That's just kinda nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by queenaevadamthng View Post
    I never could get the whole 'shroom thing. Why would anyone feel the need to go digging around in cowshit to harvest what grows there and then ingest? Kinda like actively seeking out toads to lick. That's just kinda nasty.
    Yea, getting high must suck. I mean no one does it.

No Ron, I just choose to find my medicinal hallucinogens in places other than doo doo.

Gimme a batch of magic brownies anyday!

No Ron, I just choose to find my medicinal hallucinogens in places other than doo doo.
    Is that true? I mean, I thought people made them in an airtight fishtank.

Possibly..I dunno I'm an old lady of 45. That's just where mushrooms for teamaking were found back in my day. The kids and their newfangled ways of doin' stuff.

I'm not wearing any pants
    Gimme a batch of magic brownies anyday!

Yeahhh baybeee!

But seriously I really hope they find this girl safe with nothing more that a few mosquito bites and hopefully she found her Zen or Nirvana or whatever it was she was looking for. I have a 21 y/o that worries the shit out of me constantly. Especially now that she is in the USMC. These kids are just trying to find themselves and figure out their "ness".

But seriously I really hope they find this girl safe with nothing more that a few mosquito bites and hopefully she found her Zen or Nirvana or whatever it was she was looking for. I have a 21 y/o that worries the shit out of me constantly. Especially now that she is in the USMC. These kids are just trying to find themselves and figure out their "ness".
    I dunno. When people go on adventures in places where it takes tons of effort to find you, I become less sympathetic.

Thread Information