Page 76 of 82 FirstFirst ... 26 66 74 75 76 77 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 2044

Thread: Home Decorating, renovation and DIY

This is the reclaimed wood stuff that I was thinking about. Break the mirror, remove it, and then use this as a focal point.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    That mirror looks easy enough to remove to me...is it not? Tape it up and break it, and then paint where it was at.
    It's like you're speaking a different language. Tape it up with what? Masking tape? What will that accomplish? Break it up how? With a hammer? Yeah, I have no idea where or how it's attached to the wall. It doesn't give at all if you push or pull on it. I wouldn't risk trying to take it down myself, especially in sharp pieces. I like the granite idea, but I'll have whoever installs the granite remove the old one.

Puzz, that mural looks a lot like the one that was there. Before we tore it down, we posed for prom pictures in front of it, and then we partied like it was 1975.
    Last edited by KimTisha; 12-13-2020 at 06:12 AM.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    It's like you're speaking a different language. Tape it up with what? Masking tape? What will that accomplish? Break it up how? With a hammer? Yeah, I have no idea where or how it's attached to the wall. It doesn't give at all if you push or pull on it. I wouldn't risk trying to take it down myself, especially in sharp pieces. I like the granite idea, but I'll have whoever installs the granite remove the old one.

So if you took the mural down, were you the one who put the mirror up then? If so, do you know what the wall looks like under it? Sometimes, if the mirror is original, they don't finish the wall underneath, so that is something to think about. If it's not original though, you probably don't have to worry about that.

Yes, like masking tape. It keeps it from falling and cutting you. You want to put quite a bit of tape on it, like in a star formation from end to end, up and down and diagonal, and then try to break it with like a mallet type hammer, so it will break in bigger pieces instead of just shattering.

So if you took the mural down, were you the one who put the mirror up then? If so, do you know what the wall looks like under it? Sometimes, if the mirror is original, they don't finish the wall underneath, so that is something to think about. If it's not original though, you probably don't have to worry about that.

Yes, like masking tape. It keeps it from falling and cutting you. You want to put quite a bit of tape on it, like in a star formation from end to end, up and down and diagonal, and then try to break it with like a mallet type hammer, so it will break in bigger pieces instead of just shattering.
    He's done a different type of tape and pattern, and he's not just breaking it, but this explains how the tape works. If it will come off by prying like he does, great, but I find that usually they have to be broken.

The mural was on a different wall. The mural, the mirror, and the built-in all came with the house. I have no idea what's behind that mirror, or what's holding it to the wall. And as for taking a hammer to it.... have you forgotten who you're talking to?!?! I'm a big sissy and I'm superstitious on top of it. And clumsy. What happens when I smash the mirror up and find out it's been glued to the wall and now I just have big patches of broken mirror stuck to the wall and my husband (who is possibly the least mechanical man in the world) gets annoyed and says he told me we should have just left the mirror alone to begin with and he tries to use a screwdriver to pry one of the big shards off the wall and a piece breaks off and flies across the room and severs my artery and I become a thread in "Weird and Bizarre Deaths?" Huh? What happens then?!

Yeah, this is not something I'm willing to attempt. I think I just have to suck it up and pay a grand to have professionals rip it out or learn to live with it.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

The mural was on a different wall. The mural, the mirror, and the built-in all came with the house. I have no idea what's behind that mirror, or what's holding it to the wall. And as for taking a hammer to it.... have you forgotten who you're talking to?!?! I'm a big sissy and I'm superstitious on top of it. And clumsy. What happens when I smash the mirror up and find out it's been glued to the wall and now I just have big patches of broken mirror stuck to the wall and my husband (who is possibly the least mechanical man in the world) gets annoyed and says he told me we should have just left the mirror alone to begin with and he tries to use a screwdriver to pry one of the big shards off the wall and a piece breaks off and flies across the room and severs my artery and I become a thread in "Weird and Bizarre Deaths?" Huh? What happens then?!

Yeah, this is not something I'm willing to attempt. I think I just have to suck it up and pay a grand to have professionals rip it out or learn to live with it.
    If I were closer I would do it for you, but yeah, maybe not something you want to do. I don't want to be partially responsible for your weird and bizarre death!

Where are you getting the $1000 price tag? Ripping that out is something a handyman should be able to do in an hour. I'm thinking less than $200, then you can paint or whatever you want to do. If it's messed up underneath and you just want to paint it, a handyman should be able to put some texture on the wall to fix it too.

If you do granite on the countertop, they usually include removing the old countertops in the price.

He's done a different type of tape and pattern, and he's not just breaking it, but this explains how the tape works. If it will come off by prying like he does, great, but I find that usually they have to be broken.

Aha! It's glued to the wall, it is in a track like that video but the mirror is about 5 times bigger, no way it's going to "rock off the wall" like this one. So instead of an ugly mirror I have big ugly glue patches that I'm not going to know how to fix and a broken mirror I don't know to get rid of. Installing a plant hook in the ceiling is a major job for me. Seriously, this project is getting bigger and bigger and stretching my "renovation" skills into areas I'm not comfortable with; and if I'm honest, have no interest in doing. All the same, I'm saving this video just in case.....

Aha! It's glued to the wall, it is in a track like that video but the mirror is about 5 times bigger, no way it's going to "rock off the wall" like this one. So instead of an ugly mirror I have big ugly glue patches that I'm not going to know how to fix and a broken mirror I don't know to get rid of. Installing a plant hook in the ceiling is a major job for me. Seriously, this project is getting bigger and bigger and stretching my "renovation" skills into areas I'm not comfortable with; and if I'm honest, have no interest in doing. All the same, I'm saving this video just in case.....
    My experience with taking the big mirrors down is that they break when coming out. We took one down that was larger than yours, and it cracked down the middle. There was suprisingly little glue behind it, and I watched them put mirrors up in our new house during the build, and they just used a few dots of glue.

Like I mentioned in my post above, call a handyman and get a quote, I think it will be cheaper than you think.

If I were closer I would do it for you, but yeah, maybe not something you want to do. I don't want to be partially responsible for your weird and bizarre death!

Where are you getting the $1000 price tag? Ripping that out is something a handyman should be able to do in an hour. I'm thinking less than $200, then you can paint or whatever you want to do. If it's messed up underneath and you just want to paint it, a handyman should be able to put some texture on the wall to fix it too.

If you do granite on the countertop, they usually include removing the old countertops in the price.
    Awww... you're the sweetest.

The $1k was the price quoted by the local handyman who works on all the houses here; and that's what he just charged my neighbor. In fairness, it wasn't just ripping the stuff out, but fixing/painting the wall too. I thought it sounded expensive, but being a total renovation numpty, I'm used to being ripped off by contractors.

Awww... you're the sweetest.

The $1k was the price quoted by the local handyman who works on all the houses here; and that's what he just charged my neighbor. In fairness, it wasn't just ripping the stuff out, but fixing/painting the wall too. I thought it sounded expensive, but being a total renovation numpty, I'm used to being ripped off by contractors.
    Seriously, call around. It still sounds waaaaayyyy too expensive to me, unless you guys have some kind of handyman mafia there, I bet you can find someone a lot cheaper. This guy sounds like he has a racket going. Hell, for $1000 I might make the trip!

Thanks for confirming it. I thought it was expensive too, but other neighbors said it isn't unreasonable. Of course, they all use this same guy so they have no one to compare it to. He's fast and he does good work, but I think he's a little expensive.

I have no problem paying someone to do work I'm unable to do myself (which would be.... everything!), but if it's not an emergency, I have to want it done badly enough to pay a grand or more. Example: He'll remove this horrendous "popcorn" effect from the ceilings of these units for $1,200.* I hate popcorn ceilings, but not enough to pay $1,200 to have it removed. I don't spend much time looking up at my ceilings, so the cost-benefit analysis doesn't work out in his favor.

*I watched him do my neighbor's ceiling, I don't think this price is unreasonable for 1400 sq ft, working overhead. It would kill my back, well worth the price if the popcorn bothered me enough.
    Last edited by KimTisha; 12-14-2020 at 07:20 AM.

Thanks for confirming it. I thought it was expensive too, but other neighbors said it isn't unreasonable. Of course, they all use this same guy so they have no one to compare it to. He's fast and he does good work, but I think he's a little expensive.

I have no problem paying someone to do work I'm unable to do myself (which would be.... everything!), but if it's not an emergency, I have to want it done badly enough to pay a grand or more. Example: He'll remove this horrendous "popcorn" effect from the ceilings of these units for $1,200.* I hate popcorn ceilings, but not enough to pay $1,200 to have it removed. I don't spend much time looking up at my ceilings, so the cost-benefit analysis doesn't work out in his favor.

*I watched him do my neighbor's ceiling, I don't think this price is unreasonable for 1400 sq ft, working overhead. It would kill my back, well worth the price if the popcorn bothered me enough.
    I don't think that's a bad price for removing the popcorn ceiling from that square footage (less than a buck a square foot). It's not hard to remove it, but it is back and neck breaking work and I too would pay someone to remove it as opposed to doing it myself.

But the price for the mirror is definitely a ripoff IMO! I would get several quotes from different handymen.

Puzz, that mural looks a lot like the one that was there. Before we tore it down, we posed for prom pictures in front of it, and then we partied like it was 1975.
    But KT! The room you describe cries out for a mural! Seriously. Give it 5 years and people will be standing in line begging for one and demanding the avocado green shag carpet back.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    But KT! The room you describe cries out for a mural! Seriously. Give it 5 years and people will be standing in line begging for one and demanding the avocado green shag carpet back.
    We actually discussed that before we removed it, "In five years it will be a selling point in this house." And I think you might be right, Puzz. Check this out, the internet is full of mural shops! I had no idea I was removing a $300 piece of "art" from my wall.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...sclient=psy-ab

Also, I described the cabinet as MDF in "surprisingly good shape." I took a close look at it. It's in good shape because it's solid wood, it's so ugly I just assumed it was MDF. Now that I know I can just strip it and stain it and change the knobs I'm happy with that. I'll have to get rid of the tacky laminate kitchen countertop and get a nice wood one though. The mirror is just going to have to go. Ugh, this has turned into a whole "project."

We actually discussed that before we removed it, "In five years it will be a selling point in this house." And I think you might be right, Puzz. Check this out, the internet is full of mural shops! I had no idea I was removing a $300 piece of "art" from my wall.

Also, I described the cabinet as MDF in "surprisingly good shape." I took a close look at it. It's in good shape because it's solid wood, it's so ugly I just assumed it was MDF. Now that I know I can just strip it and stain it and change the knobs I'm happy with that. I'll have to get rid of the tacky laminate kitchen countertop and get a nice wood one though. The mirror is just going to have to go. Ugh, this has turned into a whole "project."
    Things always do. Get new drapes and the paint looks bad, repaint and omg, that carpet needs replaced, put new floor down and the baseboards, trim etc., looks like heck...
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Things always do. Get new drapes and the paint looks bad, repaint and omg, that carpet needs replaced, put new floor down and the baseboards, trim etc., looks like heck...
    Puzz is correct, it always works like this. It's a conspiracy.

[QUOTE=raisedbywolves;3803873]Do you have your floor color picked out yet for the vinyl planks? This is what we are going with:https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lifeproo...111L/306059541

Are you still thinking about these vinyl planks? I love my Lifeproof floors so much! We installed it last year and it?s so nice after having carpet most of my life. Game changer when it comes to pets and general cleaning upkeep.

[QUOTE=Lilbirdie;3806559]
    Do you have your floor color picked out yet for the vinyl planks? This is what we are going with:https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lifeproo...111L/306059541

Are you still thinking about these vinyl planks? I love my Lifeproof floors so much! We installed it last year and it?s so nice after having carpet most of my life. Game changer when it comes to pets and general cleaning upkeep.

That's good to know! I actually bought them, they are sitting in my garage until I finish painting the inside of my house. We bought and completely renovated a rent house last year, so I'm still a little burnt out. I'll paint one day, and then not paint again for a week. I'm a slacker! I need to put two coats on 2500 sq ft, so it's going to take me awhile. After that, the vinyl planks are going in. I am super excited about them. When I see them it spurs me to get back to painting.

I have 3 dogs, so I'm really hoping for easy cleanup! We've only been in our house two years, and the carpet is already worn and stained in the high traffic areas. I hate it!

Also, thanks for posting in this thread. I really want to make this a thing, but the posting in it is very sporadic! I could talk decorating and home renovation all day!

[QUOTE=raisedbywolves;3806564]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilbirdie View Post

That's good to know! I actually bought them, they are sitting in my garage until I finish painting the inside of my house. We bought and completely renovated a rent house last year, so I'm still a little burnt out. I'll paint one day, and then not paint again for a week. I'm a slacker! I need to put two coats on 2500 sq ft, so it's going to take me awhile. After that, the vinyl planks are going in. I am super excited about them. When I see them it spurs me to get back to painting.

I have 3 dogs, so I'm really hoping for easy cleanup! We've only been in our house two years, and the carpet is already worn and stained in the high traffic areas. I hate it!

Also, thanks for posting in this thread. I really want to make this a thing, but the posting in it is very sporadic! I could talk decorating and home renovation all day!
    Mannn, I’m just finishing up a whole re-do on my house so you don’t have to tell me lol. We built twenty years ago so we were on our second set of carpet before I jump-started the process by ripping the carpet out and ended up walking on plywood for almost a year before we got our new floor down. While we saved up money to get the two story great room painted I put two coats of Kilz on the plywood so we wouldn’t get splinters bc our aging dogs had started having accidents. I just finished painting the two kitchen walls two weeks ago and the trim paint is still on the table bc I needed a break

I will share some war stories later haha and figure out how to post pics. Does Imgur work on this forum?

[QUOTE=Lilbirdie;3806647]

Mannn, I’m just finishing up a whole re-do on my house so you don’t have to tell me lol. We built twenty years ago so we were on our second set of carpet before I jump-started the process by ripping the carpet out and ended up walking on plywood for almost a year before we got our new floor down. While we saved up money to get the two story great room painted I put two coats of Kilz on the plywood so we wouldn’t get splinters bc our aging dogs had started having accidents. I just finished painting the two kitchen walls two weeks ago and the trim paint is still on the table bc I needed a break

I will share some war stories later haha and figure out how to post pics. Does Imgur work on this forum?
    Don't feel bad, it's ok to take your time-I've figured that out over several rent house and personal home renovations. Plus, it's keeps it 'new' longer, or at least that's what I tell myself!

I would love to see pics! Yes, Imgur is what I use, just get the code in the bulletin board format and copy/paste.

Seeing if I’m able to embed a picture. If you can see it, it’s my new picture and I finally was able to hang it. It’s 22 lbs of tempered glass so we had to make sure to hang it securely.

Whoops. I’ll figure it eventually. Here the code if anyone wants to peep.

https://imgur.com/gallery/nDNwB9F?s=sms
    Last edited by Lilbirdie; 01-05-2021 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Tried to add link

Seeing if I’m able to embed a picture. If you can see it, it’s my new picture and I finally was able to hang it. It’s 22 lbs of tempered glass so we had to make sure to hang it securely.

Whoops. I’ll figure it eventually. Here the code if anyone wants to peep.

That's cool!

When I do imgur I upload the pic, then select the then click the three little dots in the top right corner and select "get share links" and copy the BBCode link and just paste it into the message.

Seeing if I?m able to embed a picture. If you can see it, it?s my new picture and I finally was able to hang it. It?s 22 lbs of tempered glass so we had to make sure to hang it securely.

Whoops. I?ll figure it eventually. Here the code if anyone wants to peep.

Beautiful! Twenty-two pounds is pretty significant, hope it's anchored well.

RBW, I contacted someone else about removing the mirror and fixing the wall. They stood me up. I'll keep trying.

Also....

Is there a paint that I can use on that ugly countertop? I just priced replacing it with wood - not gonna happen. Remember, I have to hate it enough to spend over a grand on it.

ETA: The picture so you don't have to scroll back looking for it again.

Beautiful! Twenty-two pounds is pretty significant, hope it's anchored well.

RBW, I contacted someone else about removing the mirror and fixing the wall. They stood me up. I'll keep trying.

Also....

Is there a paint that I can use on that ugly countertop? I just priced replacing it with wood - not gonna happen. Remember, I have to hate it enough to spend over a grand on it.

ETA: The picture so you don't have to scroll back looking for it again.
    So the guy that stood you up (asshole!), how much did he quote? I'm just curious. Tell me again what the actual countertop is made of. Is it slick, textured, etc? I have an idea of something you can use, depending on what you say.

ETA: I think this will work on just about any surface that it might be-wood, formica, fake marble, etc. I have never used this myself, but I have a friend that did and loved it! I think Sister Berm did something like this (not necessarily this brand) back in the day. Basically you want an epoxy type paint that you can either put chips or paint in to replicate granite or stone. I have also seen it done with a solid gloss black and it looks nice, depending on the colors in your house.https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAICH-Sp...S-NW/206349265

My other suggestion would be to peruse granite yards for a a piece of remnant granite. You would be surprised how cheap you can get them, and they will cut them and set them for you. It might be worth looking into. I was able to do a whole kitchen with remnants that matched, so I know you can find enough for your project.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 01-06-2021 at 11:50 AM.

Dresser scarf?

Thread Information