Page 74 of 82 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 2044

Thread: Home Decorating, renovation and DIY

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Ohhhh, I like it! Do you know what the color name is?

Nic, show me a picture of your brown. I need a good gray and I also need a good brown.
    I FB messaged you a screenshot. It is from before we bought the house (from Zillow) so if you want I can take an actual picture with my phone when I get home tonight, but it should give you an idea.....it is pretty light.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

I want to revive this thread. I will have some before and after pics soon to show of the house we are working on. I want to see some of the projects you guys have done.

Before-there was serious water damage and it had to be repiped because it had poly pipes

during

Still not done, but wanted to share the progress. Grouted the tile today. Still have to finish that, and do a few more things in the kitchen. We have gutted the entire house, and painted inside and out, so it's taking awhile

ETA: oh yeah, and you can see the new fence we put up in the window. The old wooden one is in the first pictures.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 10-23-2020 at 08:53 AM.

Wow, it looks great RBW!

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Wow it looks really nice. Good job on the fence too!

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    Wow, it looks great RBW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Wow it looks really nice. Good job on the fence too!
    Thanks guys! Got to finish the last little bits on the kitchen, then finish the small bathroom (almost done), and the final thing is the master bathroom. That is gonna be big because we're completely gutting the room there too and then re-doing everything.

Wow, you did all of this yourselves??? It looks beautiful, kudos to you! I have tremendous respect for people skilled in home repair/renovation/improvement. We have ZERO skills in this area and have the electrician, plumber, and handyman on speed dial. We just spent a small fortune having the new kitchen appliances installed - $150 for the microwave, $275 for the dishwasher, $200 for the range.... see all the money you save by being smart and handy?
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Wow, you did all of this yourselves??? It looks beautiful, kudos to you! I have tremendous respect for people skilled in home repair/renovation/improvement. We have ZERO skills in this area and have the electrician, plumber, and handyman on speed dial. We just spent a small fortune having the new kitchen appliances installed - $150 for the microwave, $275 for the dishwasher, $200 for the range.... see all the money you save by being smart and handy?
    Awww, thank you! I will post more pics as we get it completed in a month or so.

When we first got married, as teenagers, we bought our first house and didn't have money to do anything, so we had to learn to do it. Over time we started learning new things like tiling, just to see if we could do it.

We do most of the work ourselves, but occasionally hire people to do things if we run into issues or decide we don't want to do it. Like on this house, I painted all of it inside and out, but on the outside at the tallest peak my vertigo was bothering me, so I hired a guy to paint just a small part so I wouldn't have to climb on the ladder over 12 ft...I was ok with the ladders up till that point, but then I reached my limit.

I enjoy the creative outlet of it, and getting to play and pick different colors and styles, without constantly changing my own house, lol. I enjoy painting and tiling and doing odd jobs. Hubby is the one with the real skill though, I am mainly the assistant and grunt work person. He does the plumbing and electrical stuff if any of that needs to be done. All of this is very different from our day jobs, so I think it's nice to be able to work with our hands some and just see what we can do, with the caveat that we can hire someone if we decide we have reached our limit.

On the down side, hubby cut off his thumb while putting in wood flooring on stairs a few years ago and we were very worried at first that it would affect his other job...so there are some positives to hiring someone!

Before-there was serious water damage and it had to be repiped because it had poly pipes

during

Still not done, but wanted to share the progress. Grouted the tile today. Still have to finish that, and do a few more things in the kitchen. We have gutted the entire house, and painted inside and out, so it's taking awhile

ETA: oh yeah, and you can see the new fence we put up in the window. The old wooden one is in the first pictures.
    Thats very nice, good work!
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 06-14-2020 at 02:59 PM.

Four years ago we bought and renovated a mid-1700s cottage that was totally derelict. And when I say "we," I mean contractors - my only contribution was financial. The house was owned by an "artist" (I use the term loosely) who considered the house her canvas. She was into all methods and mediums - murals, decopage, bejewelling, painting, glue, stickers... you name it, she did it to that house. One of the bedrooms was painted red and black. Most of the renovations have been completed, but we're still working on it.

Here's an example of some of the art in the entry vestibule:

ETA: I scraped HUNDREDS of those marbles off the walls, trim, and electrical outlets.

Last edited by KimTisha; 03-05-2020 at 07:29 AM.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

OK, apparently I have forgotten how to attach/embed a photograph. Anyone?

OK, apparently I have forgotten how to attach/embed a photograph. Anyone?
    The easiest way is to go to https://imgbb.com/ and upload a pic. Then after the pic uploads, on the 2nd page under Embeded Codes, choose BBCode full linked. Then you just copy the code it gives you and past it here.

Also, I cannot imagine having to scrape all that stuff off the walls. OMG! Why do people do stuff like that? I hope you got a good deal on it because of her 'artistry'!

The easiest way is to go to https://imgbb.com/ and upload a pic. Then after the pic uploads, on the 2nd page under Embeded Codes, choose BBCode full linked. Then you just copy the code it gives you and past it here.

Also, I cannot imagine having to scrape all that stuff off the walls. OMG! Why do people do stuff like that? I hope you got a good deal on it because of her 'artistry'!
    Thanks for the tip!

To be fair, her artistry wasn't the only issue with the house, although I'm sure it was a huge part of the reason it wouldn't sell. The kitchen and bath had to be gutted to the studs; and the garden was completely overgrown and had accessibility challenges of it's own. We didn't even deal with the jungle behind the house for two years. Between the artwork, the backyard jungle, the kitchen, and the bathroom, we were able to pay cash for the house.

Calling RBW and any other handy person who can help solve my decorating issue.

Long story short: I need to install brackets for a curtain rod on a "false wall" made of painted 1/4" plywood (there is a 2" gap and unfinished construction brick behind it). I don't want to anchor the brackets directly to the wall, so my solution (if this sounds doable and I get good advice here), is to screw the brackets onto blocks of wood and permanently GLUE the blocks to the 1/4" plywood using some kind of heavy duty construction adhesive if such a monster exists. Ideas, anyone.....???

ETA: Only 3 sheer 75" panels will be on each rod, so weight shouldn't be an issue; however, the curtains WILL be opened and closed at least twice a day, so some minor tugging on the rod could occur.
    Last edited by KimTisha; 06-11-2020 at 11:04 AM.

Calling RBW and any other handy person who can help solve my decorating issue.

Long story short: I need to install brackets for a curtain rod on a "false wall" made of painted 1/4" plywood (there is a 2" gap and unfinished construction brick behind it). I don't want to anchor the brackets directly to the wall, so my solution (if this sounds doable and I get good advice here), is to screw the brackets onto blocks of wood and permanently GLUE the blocks to the 1/4" plywood using some kind of heavy duty construction adhesive if such a monster exists. Ideas, anyone.....???

ETA: Only 3 sheer 75" panels will be on each rod, so weight shouldn't be an issue; however, the curtains WILL be opened and closed at least twice a day, so some minor tugging on the rod could occur.
    How about a tension rod?
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RoomDivi...150N/305172395
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    The wall is 10 ft long and the window is 8 ft. and can't have a center support, so a tension rod is out of the question. I've been working this puzzle for weeks now. I'm not even using a curtain rod because it will sag without a center support. I'm using an 8 ft steel closet rod.

ETA: I just realized, that rod you posted extends 12.5 ft!

ETA2: Ugh, I just realized, the adjoining wall needs a 10 ft. rod too (picture L-shaped), so a tension rod would interfere. I dunno, maybe one set of curtains will just have to be longer than the other? I think I'm back to gluing blocks of wood to the wall.
    Last edited by KimTisha; 06-11-2020 at 01:27 PM.

Last edited by puzzld; 06-11-2020 at 01:45 PM.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Ceiling is too high for these specific brackets, but I'm seriously reconsidering the tension rods. Hubby suggested we could put a block of wood in the corner where the two of them meet and I kind of like that idea. Now that you've found long tension rods, I really prefer them. I have been looking for a solution for a couple of weeks now and tension rods were my first consideration, but I couldn't find any long enough.

I would try the tension rod. There is construction adhesive (JB Weld would probably be the best) but I doubt it would stand up to being opened and closed a lot, even with just the weight of sheers.

Latest project in one of our rent houses. The before and during pics. I will post after when it's all done in a few weeks (doing the shower and replacing toilet and vanity also). This is my first time tiling a tub or shower, so it's been interesting, but I've learned a lot. The grout isn't dry in these pics, so it will be a lot lighter when it is dry, kind of a light silvery grey.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 10-23-2020 at 08:52 AM.

You did that tiling yourself? Damn you did an awesome job!

Very nice! Mom and I re-tiled her bathroom years ago. I loved how it turned out. Wished we could take it with us when she sold the house... but I've never had the gumption to do it again. The tiling wasn't bad to do, except cutting the tiles for edge places that needed 1/2 or 1/4 tile.

You did that tiling yourself? Damn you did an awesome job!
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Very nice! Mom and I re-tiled her bathroom years ago. I loved how it turned out. Wished we could take it with us when she sold the house... but I've never had the gumption to do it again. The tiling wasn't bad to do, except cutting the tiles for edge places that needed 1/2 or 1/4 tile.
    Thanks guys! I did the wall tile and the deck tile was done by both of us. While the original tile isn't my style, I would have left it if there hadn't been a cracked tile that had allowed a small leak to get down into the hardiboard, so there really wasn't any choice. The shower also had several cracked tiled, so it had to go too.

That's awesome that you did your Mom's bathroom, Puzz! To be honest, I have done a lot of tiling but been a bit nervous about doing a bathroom before. I hired someone for my other rent house last year and was less than pleased with the outcome and the price. That was the main motivating factor in me deciding that we could do this. We watched a lot of YouTube videos and went from there. It really isn't that different from any of the other tiling we have done, the waterproofing is the only real difference. We are using a lightweight Kerdi board type backer board, as opposed to the usual cement board. It's a little more expensive, but soooo much lighter and easier to work with.

Latest project in one of our rent houses. The before and during pics. I will post after when it's all done in a few weeks (doing the shower and replacing toilet and vanity also). This is my first time tiling a tub or shower, so it's been interesting, but I've learned a lot. The grout isn't dry in these pics, so it will be a lot lighter when it is dry, kind of a light silvery grey.
    Wow, I'm seriously impressed. My husband and I are totally clueless when it comes to home repair, so I really admire people who can do things on their own and don't have to depend on professionals for everything. Great job, it looks beautiful.

Another DTTAM I have to pick out a paint color for my living room and I can't decide on a color!
    I can recommend some from my extensive paint search from last year.

What shade are you looking for?

Thread Information