Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74
Results 1,826 to 1,831 of 1831

Thread: Home Decorating

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Wow, you did all of this yourselves??? It looks beautiful, kudos to you! I have tremendous respect for people skilled in home repair/renovation/improvement. We have ZERO skills in this area and have the electrician, plumber, and handyman on speed dial. We just spent a small fortune having the new kitchen appliances installed - $150 for the microwave, $275 for the dishwasher, $200 for the range.... see all the money you save by being smart and handy?
    Awww, thank you! I will post more pics as we get it completed in a month or so.

When we first got married, as teenagers, we bought our first house and didn't have money to do anything, so we had to learn to do it. Over time we started learning new things like tiling, just to see if we could do it.

We do most of the work ourselves, but occasionally hire people to do things if we run into issues or decide we don't want to do it. Like on this house, I painted all of it inside and out, but on the outside at the tallest peak my vertigo was bothering me, so I hired a guy to paint just a small part so I wouldn't have to climb on the ladder over 12 ft...I was ok with the ladders up till that point, but then I reached my limit.

I enjoy the creative outlet of it, and getting to play and pick different colors and styles, without constantly changing my own house, lol. I enjoy painting and tiling and doing odd jobs. Hubby is the one with the real skill though, I am mainly the assistant and grunt work person. He does the plumbing and electrical stuff if any of that needs to be done. All of this is very different from our day jobs, so I think it's nice to be able to work with our hands some and just see what we can do, with the caveat that we can hire someone if we decide we have reached our limit.

On the down side, hubby cut off his thumb while putting in wood flooring on stairs a few years ago and we were very worried at first that it would affect his other job...so there are some positives to hiring someone!

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Before-there was serious water damage and it had to be repiped because it had poly pipes

during

Still not done, but wanted to share the progress. Grouted the tile today. Still have to finish that, and do a few more things in the kitchen. We have gutted the entire house, and painted inside and out, so it's taking awhile

image storage online

ETA: oh yeah, and you can see the new fence we put up in the window. The old wooden one is in the first pictures.
    Thats very nice, good work!

Four years ago we bought and renovated a mid-1700s cottage that was totally derelict. And when I say "we," I mean contractors - my only contribution was financial. The house was owned by an "artist" (I use the term loosely) who considered the house her canvas. She was into all methods and mediums - murals, decopage, bejewelling, painting, glue, stickers... you name it, she did it to that house. One of the bedrooms was painted red and black. Most of the renovations have been completed, but we're still working on it.

Here's an example of some of the art in the entry vestibule:

ETA: I scraped HUNDREDS of those marbles off the walls, trim, and electrical outlets.

Last edited by KimTisha; 03-05-2020 at 07:29 AM.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

OK, apparently I have forgotten how to attach/embed a photograph. Anyone?
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    OK, apparently I have forgotten how to attach/embed a photograph. Anyone?
    The easiest way is to go to https://imgbb.com/ and upload a pic. Then after the pic uploads, on the 2nd page under Embeded Codes, choose BBCode full linked. Then you just copy the code it gives you and past it here.

Also, I cannot imagine having to scrape all that stuff off the walls. OMG! Why do people do stuff like that? I hope you got a good deal on it because of her 'artistry'!

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    The easiest way is to go to https://imgbb.com/ and upload a pic. Then after the pic uploads, on the 2nd page under Embeded Codes, choose BBCode full linked. Then you just copy the code it gives you and past it here.

Also, I cannot imagine having to scrape all that stuff off the walls. OMG! Why do people do stuff like that? I hope you got a good deal on it because of her 'artistry'!
    Thanks for the tip!

To be fair, her artistry wasn't the only issue with the house, although I'm sure it was a huge part of the reason it wouldn't sell. The kitchen and bath had to be gutted to the studs; and the garden was completely overgrown and had accessibility challenges of it's own. We didn't even deal with the jungle behind the house for two years. Between the artwork, the backyard jungle, the kitchen, and the bathroom, we were able to pay cash for the house.

Thread Information