Page 77 of 82 FirstFirst ... 27 67 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,925 of 2044

Thread: Home Decorating, renovation and DIY

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    So the guy that stood you up (asshole!), how much did he quote? I'm just curious. Tell me again what the actual countertop is made of. Is it slick, textured, etc? I have an idea of something you can use, depending on what you say.

ETA: I think this will work on just about any surface that it might be-wood, formica, fake marble, etc. I have never used this myself, but I have a friend that did and loved it! I think Sister Berm did something like this (not necessarily this brand) back in the day. Basically you want an epoxy type paint that you can either put chips or paint in to replicate granite or stone. I have also seen it done with a solid gloss black and it looks nice, depending on the colors in your house.https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAICH-Sp...S-NW/206349265

My other suggestion would be to peruse granite yards for a a piece of remnant granite. You would be surprised how cheap you can get them, and they will cut them and set them for you. It might be worth looking into. I was able to do a whole kitchen with remnants that matched, so I know you can find enough for your project.
    He stood me up for the quote - never showed up! It's lightly textured formica-/laminate-type stuff. I'll try to get a good close-up. The painted on fake granite might be my best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Dresser scarf?
    I bought a beautiful embroidered 8 ft. dresser scarf in Mexico specifically for the top of that cabinet. It fits beautifully, but it doesn't hide that cheap looking formica. More than anything else, it's the whole colour scheme that I hate. It has all the excitement of a bowl of oatmeal.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    He stood me up for the quote - never showed up! It's lightly textured formica-/laminate-type stuff. I'll try to get a good close-up. The painted on fake granite might be my best bet.

I bought a beautiful embroidered 8 ft. dresser scarf in Mexico specifically for the top of that cabinet. It fits beautifully, but it doesn't hide that cheap looking formica. More than anything else, it's the whole colour scheme that I hate. It has all the excitement of a bowl of oatmeal.
    That should take the fake granite paint without any issue. I do encourage you to look into real granite though, especially if you're going to hire someone to do the fake granite.

I went back and looked to see if Sister Berm's pics were still up from her countertop re-do, but unfortunately they are gone.

She talks about it near pg 161 in Chit Chat though.

That should take the fake granite paint without any issue. I do encourage you to look into real granite though, especially if you're going to hire someone to do the fake granite.
    I could do the fake granite myself. I watched the YT video - I'm a pro now! I don't want to have to replace the countertop if I can just paint it. We spend a very small amount of time here (>100 days in a normal year), I don't want to get all crazy on the remodeling. There's basically nothing wrong with the place that a little paint won't cure.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

I could do the fake granite myself. I watched the YT video - I'm a pro now! I don't want to have to replace the countertop if I can just paint it. We spend a very small amount of time here (>100 days in a normal year), I don't want to get all crazy on the remodeling. There's basically nothing wrong with the place that a little paint won't cure.
    Then I say go for it! Hey, YT has saved my bacon more than once in a remodel! I'm not sure how anyone did anything before YT!

Post pics of your 'during' and 'after'...I'm curious about the process and want to see the results.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 02-03-2021 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    My bathroom isn't done yet, but it's coming along!
    Ang, can you tell me the color you used in this bathroom and in your baby's nursery? I think I am going to steal them for two of my bathrooms.

Ang, can you tell me the color you used in this bathroom and in your baby's nursery? I think I am going to steal them for two of my bathrooms.
    Comfort Gray and Icicle. I know I already texted you that but other people in the thread may be curious.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Comfort Gray and Icicle. I know I already texted you that but other people in the thread may be curious.
    They're such pretty colors-thank you!

KT, have you done anything further with your project?

KT, have you done anything further with your project?
    I've thought about it. A lot. Does that count?

I've thought about it. A lot. Does that count?
    Yes, yes it does. That's half of my projects.

Here's what I've thought about:

- I've picked out my cabinet colours. In my head of course, I haven't actually gone to the store and bought the paint or anything; but when I do, I'll know exactly what I want.

- Still hung up on the cabinet knobs - I don't like anything I've seen and while I don't exactly know what I want, I'll know it when I see it. I don't mind waiting, I'd like to find something in my travels - the old ones can stay until I find something I want.

- Countertop: I've decided to do that fake granite stuff you showed me. Haven't ordered that yet either. I kind of want to do it AFTER I paint the cabinets because maybe I'll change my mind about the colour. I know you haven't done the fake granite thing, but do you feel strongly one way or the other about the best order to do that?

- I've been moving furniture and rugs around. Moved the LR rug into the MBR, and put the DR rug in the LR. Now I'm all over the place on what kind of rug I want in the DR. It will probably influence my choice of cabinet knobs.

- Ditto for the DR light. It's ugly, but I hate everything I've seen even more and I'm considering painting it until I find a suitable replacement. Again, I'll know it when I see it - probably in an antique shop. As far as painting it, I haven't given it much thought yet.

- That Mirror. The bane of my existence. To be honest, it's holding up the whole thing. In my mind, until I get that mirror off the wall, there is no sense refinishing that cabinet and countertop and I just haven't been motivated enough to find someone to do it. But I've been slowly fixing crap that's been bugging me since we moved here, so it's day is definitely coming.

It ain't easy being a Gemini...

Here's what I've thought about:

- I've picked out my cabinet colours. In my head of course, I haven't actually gone to the store and bought the paint or anything; but when I do, I'll know exactly what I want.

- Still hung up on the cabinet knobs - I don't like anything I've seen and while I don't exactly know what I want, I'll know it when I see it. I don't mind waiting, I'd like to find something in my travels - the old ones can stay until I find something I want.

- Countertop: I've decided to do that fake granite stuff you showed me. Haven't ordered that yet either. I kind of want to do it AFTER I paint the cabinets because maybe I'll change my mind about the colour. I know you haven't done the fake granite thing, but do you feel strongly one way or the other about the best order to do that?

- I've been moving furniture and rugs around. Moved the LR rug into the MBR, and put the DR rug in the LR. Now I'm all over the place on what kind of rug I want in the DR. It will probably influence my choice of cabinet knobs.

- Ditto for the DR light. It's ugly, but I hate everything I've seen even more and I'm considering painting it until I find a suitable replacement. Again, I'll know it when I see it - probably in an antique shop. As far as painting it, I haven't given it much thought yet.

- That Mirror. The bane of my existence. To be honest, it's holding up the whole thing. In my mind, until I get that mirror off the wall, there is no sense refinishing that cabinet and countertop and I just haven't been motivated enough to find someone to do it. But I've been slowly fixing crap that's been bugging me since we moved here, so it's day is definitely coming.

It ain't easy being a Gemini...
    Fellow Gemini here, so I understand.

As far as order, I would do the cabinets first and then the countertop. As you said, you might want something totally different after you see the way the cabinets come out. Been there, done that.

I drive my husband nuts with coming up with too many options. As I mentioned earlier, if anyone ever wants to know about paint I looked at and compared like a million options before deciding on the ashen tan. I need choices, and like you, I'll know the right one when I see it!

I keep forgetting to upload these. This is the first bedroom we finished. The floor is lifeproof Tupelo Oak and the paint is Behr Ashen Tan. The dog is for copyright purposes to prove they are my pics, and not because she follows me everywhere I go.

Wow the room looks great!

She's like whatcha doing mommy?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Wow the room looks great!

She's like whatcha doing mommy?
    Thanks!

She's my shadow. I'm not allowed to do anything without her being there.

Here's my latest project I am working on. The grout color we selected was vastly different from the final color we ended up with. We haven't liked it since the beginning but we were trying to live with it and get used to it, thinking we might like it better after awhile. That didn't work, so I am staining the grout a different color. I did this in another house that had white dingy grout that nothing would clean. It worked beautifully and lasted the entire 5 years we lived there and was still going strong when we sold the house.

I started with one of the guest bathrooms. This will take 2 coats. It goes on with a toothbrush or a rag. If you wipe off the excess right away it's easy to clean, but you risk wiping spots off the grout. This is what i did, so you may see some spots that really didn't get much color on them. If you let it dry before wiping you have to scrape the excess off, but it doesn't mess up the grout.

Here's the beginning of the project. I will update when finished.

What the first coat looks like after cleanup.

This is what I am using (color is bone):https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-B...1HPT/203498062

It looks really good RBW's!

I wish I had 1 guest bathroom

I forgot to post this. It only took me a few hours to do, the top is still wet in the pic, but it dried nice and uniformly. I am happy with it. It gives the room a whole different feel. I wish I had taken better 'before' pics for comparison.

ETA: Don't look at the bad small tile cuts in the corner too much, lol. It makes me OCD to look at how they did it. I have tiled a bathroom before and they should never have cut the tile like that.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 03-06-2021 at 11:49 AM.

Okay, peeps! I need some help.

I am trying to find a dresser, any idea where is a good place to look? The issue I am having is all the ones I see are too wide! I can't go over 58" wide and it seems like everything I find is 60" or more. I am looking for something gray/white (NOT brown). So far I have found this that I like:

https://www.ashleyfurniture.com/p/ge.../B1190-31.html

Would hope to get one of the tall ones that match to also replace my hubby's. A night stand would be good but I need one REALLY small in width as I don't have much room. It seems like my options are limited with me needing the width low.

if anyone has an input or some good sites to search that would be helpful! Ashley Furniture is cool because I can search by width. RC Willey doesn't have that option, ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I'm not sure about sites or how to find smaller widths, however you could look in to having them custom made by someone local. They could leave the finish bare so that you could stain or paint them anyway you like. You might be surprised to see that there isn't much difference in price and that way you get exactly what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I'm not sure about sites or how to find smaller widths, however you could look in to having them custom made by someone local. They could leave the finish bare so that you could stain or paint them anyway you like. You might be surprised to see that there isn't much difference in price and that way you get exactly what you want.
    That's a good idea I never though about. Sounds kind of expensive? Although they aren't usually cheap at stores, either. I found some going for over $2,000! I found a few at Ashley I like that are about $500, little less. And a few on Wayfair that are about $800-$900. I have some serious thinking to do! I always go back and forth and am cautious to make a final decision, as I worry I will regret it. Ugh. Aiming to buy some by Memorial Day in the hopes there are some good sales.

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

I bought some decent bedroom furniture (headboard, dresser, chest, 2 nightstands) from Hayneedle after we moved to our new house a couple of years ago. I was dubious about buying furniture online because I once bought a couch that peeled it's fake leather off in 6 months, but I was really happy with everything I bought from them.

Also, here's some other ideas you might not have thought of:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/best-...b0018f9cb9eb67

Or this list (although a couple of these places don't exist anymore): https://www.instya.com/site/wayfair.com

I bought some decent bedroom furniture (headboard, dresser, chest, 2 nightstands) from Hayneedle after we moved to our new house a couple of years ago. I was dubious about buying furniture online because I once bought a couch that peeled it's fake leather off in 6 months, but I was really happy with everything I bought from them.

Also, here's some other ideas you might not have thought of:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/best-...b0018f9cb9eb67

Or this list (although a couple of these places don't exist anymore): https://www.instya.com/site/wayfair.com
    I checked out Hayneedle, they don't have many options for dressers. But OMG they have the cutest nightstands! This one looks like a TV: https://www.hayneedle.com/product/ba...nightstand.cfm

I checked out Hayneedle, they don't have many options for dressers. But OMG they have the cutest nightstands! This one looks like a TV: https://www.hayneedle.com/product/ba...nightstand.cfm
    I bought nightstands first because I found ones I really liked right away...and I wanted to test out the company and their quality before buying bigger items. I was looking through my orders and I forgot I also bought my short barstools from Hayneedle. I love those things!

I bought this dresser: https://www.hayneedle.com/product/co...&tid=COA3623-1 I love it, but it says it is out of stock.

ETA: it says there are 16 pages of dressers and chests...how many do you consider to be a lot?
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 05-26-2021 at 08:35 AM.

Thread Information