Page 75 of 82 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 2044

Thread: Home Decorating, renovation and DIY

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Another DTTAM I have to pick out a paint color for my living room and I can't decide on a color!
    I feel like you can never go wrong with a light gray. Before my mother-in-law moved she remodeled her home. She had tan/light brown walls (like I do) and she painted them all a light gray. It looked SO much better. If I had the time and motivation I would paint my walls that in a sec.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I can recommend some from my extensive paint search from last year.

What shade are you looking for?
    I don't know! I don't know where to start. I didn't want to have my house all beige-y so I picked a pinkish color years ago and I hate it. I feel I cannot be trusted with this task

I want an interesting color in a warm tone, but I want it to match my current shit.

We are pulling up the carpet and putting down vinyl wood flooring. The carpet is a fucking mess. I still have a spot where my elderly cat urinated 500 times.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Im using the HGTV home by Sherwin Williams-the color gallery. Im looking for a warm grey.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    I feel like you can never go wrong with a light gray. Before my mother-in-law moved she remodeled her home. She had tan/light brown walls (like I do) and she painted them all a light gray. It looked SO much better. If I had the time and motivation I would paint my walls that in a sec.
    This is what I was wanting to do (and did do) in my new rent house last year and you said gray was the color of prison walls!

I am currently in the process of painting my own house the same greige color because I loved it so much.

Im using the HGTV home by Sherwin Williams-the color gallery. Im looking for a warm grey.
    It's not SW, it's Behr, but I used Ashen Tan. It's a gray with a tan undertone. I think I deleted all the pics I posted in the remodeling thread, but if you want I can post some more. We got a ton of compliments on it.

It's not SW, it's Behr, but I used Ashen Tan. It's a gray with a tan undertone. I think I deleted all the pics I posted in the remodeling thread, but if you want I can post some more. We got a ton of compliments on it.
    Oo me likey. What kind of finish did you use? Pics please!

Oo me likey. What kind of finish did you use? Pics please!
    I used a satin finish because I always do with my rent houses. It's not super glossy, but it's easy to wipe and clean up. I'm doing the same thing in my house because...well, dogs.

Here's some pics from different rooms of the rent house, because it tends to look a little different from room to room, and this way you could see it against some other colors. The pic with the red chair shows the old yellow and partially painted new color on walls. All the other wall pics are Ashen tan entirely, with white trim.

And because like I told you I am literally painting my house right now, here's a wall that is partially painted. The old color is builder basic off white, so you can see the contrast.

It can have more beige undertones in certain light, but it throws gray overall, but very light.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-27-2020 at 03:07 PM. Reason: remove some pics

I it!

Thanks for all of the pics!

Ang-it looks good with our dark brown furniture and beige carpet (the new vinyl flooring is coming after I finish painting, it's waiting in the garage from the kick ass deal I got this summer while working on the other house). If you can overlook the fact that I don't have light switch covers right now, lol, I will take some pics tomorrow and send them to you. The lighting in my house at night isn't the best for taking pics.

This is what I was wanting to do (and did do) in my new rent house last year and you said gray was the color of prison walls!

I am currently in the process of painting my own house the same greige color because I loved it so much.
    I guess I changed my mind when I saw my mother-in-law's house....my bad

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    I guess I changed my mind when I saw my mother-in-law's house....my bad
    Ok, I will forgive you this once. To be fair, I was scared to paint the house gray. I wanted to try a more modern look, but I was scared it would be too much. It turned out perfect though. I probably looked at 100 paint samples and went back and forth on beige vs gray.

Ang, what I ended up doing that really helped was getting posterboard from the dollar store, tearing it in half and getting samples of 6 different paints that I liked the most. Then you hold the samples up to the wall in different rooms (or part of the room) and see how it looks in different light. My husband and I were leaning towards another color and and soon as we saw Ashen tan this we, we both loved it!
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-24-2020 at 08:46 AM.

Ok, I will forgive you this once. To be fair, I was scared to paint the house gray. I wanted to try a more modern look, but I was scared it would be too much. It turned out perfect though. I probably looked at 100 paint samples and went back and forth on beige vs gray.

Ang, what I ended up doing that really helped was getting posterboard from the dollar store, tearing it in half and getting samples of 6 different paints that I liked the most. Then you hold the samples up to the wall in different rooms (or part of the room) and see how it looks in different light. My husband and I were leaning towards another color and and soon as we saw Ashen tan this we, we both loved it!
    Its a pretty color-its looks clean and modern (if that makes sense). Im not really a loud color person (so its annoying that our living room is pink-but not for long!) My carpet is all stained and ratty-i cant wait to get rid of it! we are going to have an area rug in thr pattern quatrafoil (sp?) my fave pattern. im obsessed with it.

Its a pretty color-its looks clean and modern (if that makes sense). Im not really a loud color person (so its annoying that our living room is pink-but not for long!) My carpet is all stained and ratty-i cant wait to get rid of it! we are going to have an area rug in thr pattern quatrafoil (sp?) my fave pattern. im obsessed with it.
    Do you have your floor color picked out yet for the vinyl planks? This is what we are going with:https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lifeproo...111L/306059541

I'm with you, I don't like loud colors. The pink I ended up with on my wall was supposed to be Navajo White. Nope, it's Navajo pink.

Do you have your floor color picked out yet for the vinyl planks? This is what we are going with:https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lifeproo...111L/306059541

I'm with you, I don't like loud colors. The pink I ended up with on my wall was supposed to be Navajo White. Nope, it's Navajo pink.
    My parents dining room is lime green. It punches you in the face as soon as you walk in. It's not a very nice room. My bedroom at their house is a nice lavender. I picked it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Ang-are you and your husband doing the painting or are you hiring someone? I want to see pics when it's done!

(I am moving our paint discussion to this thread since we actually do have a thread for decorating, and I want to make it a thing, lol)

Ang-are you and your husband doing the painting or are you hiring someone? I want to see pics when it's done!

(I am moving our paint discussion to this thread since we actually do have a thread for decorating, and I want to make it a thing, lol)
    My husband is doing the painting. Im not good at it. I will post pics when its done!

My husband is doing the painting. Im not good at it. I will post pics when its done!
    I can't wait to see the pics! I've spent the last 2 hours up on the ladder, so I feel his pain.

I can't wait to see the pics! I've spent the last 2 hours up on the ladder, so I feel his pain.
    He wont need a ladder, our walls arent that tall. Im so excited to get rid of this pink shit! Ive been looking at it and hating it for years.

He wont need a ladder, our walls arent that tall. Im so excited to get rid of this pink shit! Ive been looking at it and hating it for years.
    I was only looking at my pink for 11 months, but I totally know how you feel. As of last night all the pink is gone!

I need a decorating solution.

When we bought this house, the dining room had a mural on one wall, and an 8 ft. wide x 3-1/2 ft. tall mirror on another. Under the mirror are built-in MDF cabinets in a lovely shade of blah that screams 1980s from the rooftops. They are ugly but in really good shape and they provide tons of storage. I succeeded in removing the mural and repainted the walls in a neutral shade, but that mirror and the cabinets are starting to make me twitch. We're normally only here 3-4 months a year and I thought I could live with it for such a short time. But we've been stuck here for over a year because of COVID and I have to do something about it. I looked into having it all ripped out and I'm just too cheap to do it (unlike RBW, I'm a total loser in the home renovation dept). Like, I'm not $1,000 worth of sick of it.

I know I can paint the cabinets and find new knobs to replace the boring brass knobs (I'll need colour ideas), but what can I do about that mirror? I have this crazy idea in my head that I can wall paper the mirror (the actual mirror itself, I'm not talking about papering the whole wall over it) in a small, neutral print, and use the new panel to hang pictures, etc. light enough to be supported by command strips. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but I think it would work. The mirror takes up 75% of the wall above the cabinet, it would basically look like a wall-papered panel with pictures hanging on it.

Thoughts anyone? Be honest, I can take it. Is hubby right? Ammicrazee?
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post

When we bought this house, the dining room had a mural on one wall, and an 8 ft. wide x 3-1/2 ft. tall mirror on another. Under the mirror are built-in MDF cabinets in a lovely shade of blah that screams 1980s from the rooftops. They are ugly but in really good shape and they provide tons of storage. I succeeded in removing the mural and repainted the walls in a neutral shade, but that mirror and the cabinets are starting to make me twitch. We're normally only here 3-4 months a year and I thought I could live with it for such a short time. But we've been stuck here for over a year because of COVID and I have to do something about it. I looked into having it all ripped out and I'm just too cheap to do it (unlike RBW, I'm a total loser in the home renovation dept). Like, I'm not $1,000 worth of sick of it.

I know I can paint the cabinets and find new knobs to replace the boring brass knobs (I'll need colour ideas), but what can I do about that mirror? I have this crazy idea in my head that I can wall paper the mirror (the actual mirror itself, I'm not talking about papering the whole wall over it) in a small, neutral print, and use the new panel to hang pictures, etc. light enough to be supported by command strips. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but I think it would work. The mirror takes up 75% of the wall above the cabinet, it would basically look like a wall-papered panel with pictures hanging on it.

Can you post pics?

I'll be honest, when someone says the word wallpaper I start twitching, but that's just me, and the fact that I've had to take it down before, lol.

Without seeing the cabinet I would totally say you could paint it and change out the handles, depending on how it's finished. If it's really shiny you might have to do some extreme sanding to get it to take the paint/stain. You would be surprised how different a little paint and handles can make things look!

I am wondering if you could frame out the mirror with some type of modern tile or like the reclaimed wood that you see a lot nowadays, but again, I don't know your style and what it looks like, so that might be totally a no-go.

Wallpaper makes me twitch too. But I'm not talking about a floral or wallpaper-y wallpaper. Something neutral, tiny print, maybe even a texture. Also, it will be pasted to a mirror, so removal will be a breeze!

The cabinets don't have a "shiny" texture, but they are that vinyl covered MDF (in surprisingly good shape, they have to be 30-40 years old) so it will have to be a special paint I'm sure. I hope I don't have to do much sanding because I have no sander and no patience.

The mirror is one of those typical Florida retirement village mirror-the-whole-feckin'-dining-room-wall deals. Presumably it's to make the room look larger, but I think it makes the room look cluttered because it just reflects back into the living room.

Let me try to get a picture....
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

The mirror is HUGE and has a [very] slightly beveled edge. I hate the countertop too, it's.... well.... like a kitchen countertop! I imagine my only choice is to have that replaced, right?

The mirror is HUGE and has a [very] slightly beveled edge. I hate the countertop too, it's.... well.... like a kitchen countertop! I imagine my only choice is to have that replaced, right?

That mirror looks easy enough to remove to me...is it not? Tape it up and break it, and then paint where it was at.

What kind of countertop do you want? I have a suggestion, but my taste might be kind of different. I would go to a granite shop and ask them to cut a granite piece, it shouldn't be too pricey. A hammer will take that counter top off, just open the top drawers and hammer upwards on the edge of the counter.

https://society6.com/product/mountai...462p68a215v761
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Thread Information