Page 27 of 82 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Decorating, renovation and DIY

Re: Home Decorating

[quote author=KimTisha link=topic=18633.msg1227528#msg1227528 date=1238112284]
    Welcome to my world.  Stephen has resisted every. single. decorating. idea. I have ever come up with.  Every one.  I love color but he's a color blind polychromophobe.  When I met him his house was totally decorated (if you could call it that) in white - carpets, walls, furniture, curtains, cabinets - so he didn't have to worry about matching anything.  It looked like a movie set of the afterlife!  So when I start talking about painting one wall yellow and another wall (in the same room) orange he starts to twitch wildly.  We were just laughing about it this evening.   :lol:
    [/quote]

Your husband and I would have been able to be roomies together forever...that is my dream, all white, everything....E V E R Y T H I N G......this is most likely my fantasy cos I have a very messy messy family.

[quote author=KimTisha link=topic=18633.msg1227501#msg1227501 date=1238111454]
    Absolutely!  When I was 9 I carved my (full) name in a wooden desk at school - I remember doing it.  Eight years later my mother went to an auction of old school furniture and saw it.  She came home furious about it because I "vandalized public property!"   :lol:  I was like, "Really?  That's so cool... why didn't you buy it?!?!"  I would love to have that desk today.  I hope the people that bought it didn't sand my name away.
    [/quote]
    My sister used to carve MY name into the window sills at home.  I got in trouble like 10 times before they finally figured out it was her and not me 
    Quote Originally Posted by angelaiscaustic View Post
    I mean I spent most V days drunk, but that's because I'm a lush, not bc I was bitter haha

[quote author=TinkerBelly link=topic=18633.msg1227672#msg1227672 date=1238117114]
    My sister used to carve MY name into the window sills at home.  I got in trouble like 10 times before they finally figured out it was her and not me 
    [/quote]

this has made me rethink my WHOLE disciplinary regime....now how am I EVAR going to know who the real culprit is....and girls are so sneaky...I am seriously doomed

[quote author=ApRyL link=topic=18633.msg1227682#msg1227682 date=1238117403]
    this has made me rethink my WHOLE disciplinary regime....now how am I EVAR going to know who the real culprit is....and girls are so sneaky...I am seriously doomed
    [/quote]My Dad (one of 11) claims his folks punished everyone, then punished the one that showed up with a black eye again....
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

[quote author=puzzld link=topic=18633.msg1227699#msg1227699 date=1238117944]
    My Dad (one of 11) claims his folks punished everyone, then punished the one that showed up with a black eye again....
    [/quote]

that is
    pure genius

I need advice.  My new curtains came.  The brown with blue circle ones.  They really need to be ironed.  Should I hang them and let the fold marks slowly come out?  I do not have the energy to iron.  Should I wait until I feel better to iron before I hang them?
    I mean I spent most V days drunk, but that's because I'm a lush, not bc I was bitter haha

[quote author=TinkerBelly link=topic=18633.msg1228678#msg1228678 date=1238185710]
    I need advice.  My new curyains came.  The brown with blue circle ones.  They really need to be ironed.  Should I hang them and let the fold marks slowly come out?  I do not have the energy to iron.  Should I wait until I feel better to iron before I hang them?
    [/quote]The wrinkles will come out more quickly with steam.  Hang them in the bathroom or the laundry room. Or if the can take the dryer, throw them in the dryer with a damp towel.
    [size=4pt]What is this iron you speak of?[/size]
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

[quote author=puzzld link=topic=18633.msg1228687#msg1228687 date=1238186006]
    The wrinkles will come out more quickly with steam.  Hang them in the bathroom or the laundry room. Or if the can take the dryer, throw them in the dryer with a damp towel.
    [size=4pt]What is this iron you speak of?[/size]
    [/quote]
    hahaha To be honest I only break out the iron for two occasions - weddings and funerals.
    I'll try the dryer damp cloth thing.  These folds are pretty solid creases though  :|

If anyone is interested in the curtains I am replacing they are all yours!
    10 Panels 52 x 84
    1 Valance 52 x 14
    Two of the panels have some slight staining.  I left the window open during a rain storm and the dirt from the screen splashed on them.  It really isn't noticable but I thought I'd mention it.

Picture from store advertisement

The color is Sea Pearl and I consider the color to be a light aqua.  They are blueish green. The material is crinkled and stripe on stripe.  Shimmer and sheer.
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=1005 3&productId=100582327&navFlow=3&keywor d=sea%2Bpearl&langId=-1&searchRedirect=sea+pearl&storeId=10051&a mp;endecaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.catalog.b eans.EndecaDataBean%40671d814d&ddkey=Search

Any questions let me know!

Those are really pretty tink. I have vertical blinds on all my big windows so don't need them, but they look nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

deliberate_misuse

KimTisha, I love all of your furniture!  I hope there's room in your Spanish retirement home for me because I plan to visit you...

Thanks D_M - although most of this furniture won't be going to Spain.  And of course there is definitely room for you.  Will you give me Spanish lessons while you're there?
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

deliberate_misuse

[quote author=KimTisha link=topic=18633.msg1231100#msg1231100 date=1238395677]
    Thanks D_M - although most of this furniture won't be going to Spain.  And of course there is definitely room for you.  Will you give me Spanish lessons while you're there?
    [/quote]

Ooh, yes!  Spanish cooking lessons, too... in exchange for free room and board? 

[quote author=deliberate_misuse link=topic=18633.msg1231352#msg1231352 date=1238433258]Ooh, yes!  Spanish cooking lessons, too... in exchange for free room and board?    [/quote]

Deal!

Went to Amsterdam this weekend to visit our daughter.  She lives in a tiny little Dutch apartment, so we stayed in a great little hotel that was incredibly reasonably priced - right on the tram line, right in the middle of everything.  But this plastic monstrosity was hanging from the middle of the ceiling.  It scared me.  I was afraid it would come down off the ceiling in the middle of the night and devour me in my sleep.  And not in the good way.

You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

[quote author=KimTisha link=topic=18633.msg1231648#msg1231648 date=1238445252]

[/quote]

I put my money on IKEA  I'm glad it didn't eat you!

So are we all stagnant when it comes to our home decor and creativity?

DS I don't want to sound like your husband and nag but did you paint the other walls in the piano room?

[quote author=TinkerBelly link=topic=18633.msg1238054#msg1238054 date=1238873039]

DS I don't want to sound like your husband and nag but did you paint the other walls in the piano room?
    [/quote]

No, I had people coming so I cleaned up all my mess and haven't got it back out again yet.  :oops: I have to get the burned house cleaned out by the end of this month and also my daughter is going to be getting a babysitter so I don't have to plan my days around her and my grandson so I'll have more time to get to it soon, I hope.

[quote author=TinkerBelly link=topic=18633.msg1238054#msg1238054 date=1238873039]

[/quote]

yes, I have yet to put the pictures back onto my walls...I has a bad case of the lazies lately.

It's spring fever ladies.  We're entitled. 

Also... speaking of decorating problems.  I'm hosting a baby shower next Saturday.  Any ideas for understated baby shower decorations?  I honestly can't conceive of pink and blue balloons and crepe paper in this room:

[IMG width=900]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e156/kimtisha/Misc%20Blog/April2009032.jpg[/img]

[quote author=KimTisha link=topic=18633.msg1238727#msg1238727 date=1238919375]
    It's spring fever ladies.  We're entitled. 

Also... speaking of decorating problems.  I'm hosting a baby shower next Saturday.  Any ideas for understated baby shower decorations?  I honestly can't conceive of pink and blue balloons and crepe paper in this room:

[IMG width=900]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e156/kimtisha/Misc%20Blog/April2009032.jpg[/img]
    [/quote]

I had my sister's baby shower at a friend's house and she has a huge Victorian.  Knowing that we were having it there from the start the "theme" was dress forms.  I didn't use any of the typical pink and blue crepe paper at all.  We dressed dress forms in fancy dresses and made them a little pregnant looking.  I will have to dig out some pictures
    I designed the invitations and they were similar to this

All we served at the shower was decadent desserts.  I had a cake made to match the invitations and that was the "centerpeice".  I just made the dessert tables gorgeous by using different heights and fancy serving peices.  Throw in some fresh flowers tossed around and TADA!  I think I used rose petals.
    So many people told me it was the best baby shower they had ever been too.

[quote author=TinkerBelly link=topic=18633.msg1238796#msg1238796 date=1238935265]
    I had my sister's baby shower at a friend's house and she has a huge Victorian.  Knowing that we were having it there from the start the "theme" was dress forms.  I didn't use any of the typical pink and blue crepe paper at all.  We dressed dress forms in fancy dresses and made them a little pregnant looking.  I will have to dig out some pictures
    I designed the invitations and they were similar to this

All we served at the shower was decadent desserts.  I had a cake made to match the invitations and that was the "centerpeice".  I just made the dessert tables gorgeous by using different heights and fancy serving peices.  Throw in some fresh flowers tossed around and TADA!  I think I used rose petals.
    So many people told me it was the best baby shower they had ever been too.[/quote]

That's awesome Tink and I love the idea.  I wish I had thought of asking for help sooner.  The shower is in six days.  No way in hell I'm going to find dress forms in Bumfuck, Belgium - let alone fancy dresses.  It just isn't going to happen.

I'm seriously starting to panic about this.  I don't think I'm going to decorate at all.  Just do the table with pastel shit and a fresh flower center piece.

Oh yeah, and I hope Natasha is around.  The mom-to-be wants a cupcake cake.  WTF?  Any ideas?  I don't have one of those cupcake holders.

For decorative accents that transfers into a gift, you could also use a "silver" rattle or spoon with ribbons 

Do a flower arrangement in an antique watering can...  "Baby in Bloom" 

Have a cherub or 2 nesting in the rose petals Tink suggested.

Or in a "nest" near an antique birdhouse...

Cupcake tower...  easy!  Can you get your hands on different sized boxes (like hatboxes)  See how cute? 

Or use earthquake putty / fun tack to attach plain white dinner plates to candleholders or a fruit compote...  or if you have footed cake stands (ask your antique dealer - who should LOVE you - if you can borrow a few if you don't have them, 

Or use different sized plates covered in doilies and use spray painted flower pots as spacers Like here: 

I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Kim just invite enough people to fill all of those chairs you've bought. The mom-to-be will be so thrilled with all those gifts it won't matter what the room looks like.

[quote author=KimTisha link=topic=18633.msg1238797#msg1238797 date=1238936488]
    That's awesome Tink and I love the idea.  I wish I had thought of asking for help sooner.  The shower is in six days.  No way in hell I'm going to find dress forms in Bumfuck, Belgium - let alone fancy dresses.  It just isn't going to happen.

I'm seriously starting to panic about this.  I don't think I'm going to decorate at all.  Just do the table with pastel shit and a fresh flower center piece.

Oh yeah, and I hope Natasha is around.  The mom-to-be wants a cupcake cake.  WTF?  Any ideas?  I don't have one of those cupcake holders.

[/quote]
    I would think you can get the cupcake teir holder at any craft store.
    I also made 2 diaper cakes and they were predominanly white.  I used white hat pins with the pearl ends to hold it together and lots of fancy white lace. 
    I knew my sister was having twin girls so I made mine very frilly :oops:
    Similar to this:

Thanks NQ, great ideas for the cupcake cake!  I'm not going to worry about decorating the house.  Just the table.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=18633.msg1238804#msg1238804 date=1238937920]Kim just invite enough people to fill all of those chairs you've bought. The mom-to-be will be so thrilled with all those gifts it won't matter what the room looks like.[/quote]

That's the other problem DS.  The shower is the day before Easter.  Most of the invitees are going to be traveling on Spring break.  I've had seven negative responses so far - four people will be in Spain, one in Greece, and two in the UK.  It's not like being home in the States for Easter.  When your family isn't here, you have a tendency to travel on the holidays - especially when a bazillion neat countries are so close.  We'd be traveling ourselves if I hadn't volunteered to throw this shower.  Sigh....

Thread Information