Page 1 of 82 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Decorating, renovation and DIY

Home Decorating, renovation and DIY

So I bought this chaise lounger thing shortly after the fire that I saw and loved and now I've having to decorate around it. :lol: It's mostly black with some red and creams/off whites. It's in the fireplace room. So far it and the piano are the only pieces of furniture in there. The dining room is also a part of this room.

This room has a hardwood floor. I ordered a rug that matches the chaise lounge perfectly and I'm planning on a red leather couch. I also have a cherry coffee table and end tables on hold. I'm not sure if I'm going to need or want another chair or not yet.

Anyway, the walls in this room are green, so yeah, that's going to have to go. I think I'll wallpaper probably.

I'm going to have to get on my laptop to post pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Re: Home Decorating

I can't find the cable to connect my camera to my computer at the moment. I keep putting things away then can't remember where I put them.

The chaise looks like this but it's black and the pillow is black/red/cream colored/light brown.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=18633.msg1186754#msg1186754 date=1234759054]
    So I bought this chaise lounger thing shortly after the fire that I saw and loved and now I've having to decorate around it. :lol: It's mostly black with some red and creams/off whites. It's in the fireplace room. So far it and the piano are the only pieces of furniture in there. The dining room is also a part of this room.

This room has a hardwood floor. I ordered a rug that matches the chaise lounge perfectly and I'm planning on a red leather couch. I also have a cherry coffee table and end tables on hold. I'm not sure if I'm going to need or want another chair or not yet.

Anyway, the walls in this room are green, so yeah, that's going to have to go. I think I'll wallpaper probably.

I'm going to have to get on my laptop to post pictures.
    [/quote]

our house flooded in march of last year, so we moved.. i loved redecorating, but it was such a pain in the ass, and i'm so glad it's almost over. we live in a [s]trailer[/s] mobile home, and all of the walls are the same color.. it's a beige/gray/white stone looking wallpaper. my room is done in pink and brown.. which matches the walls, and my sister did her room in red and blue, and it's not "complete" because she doesn't live at home anymore and decked out her apartment. Her colors totally clash with the walls. Our living room is done in brown, and the kitchen counters are olive green and gray, the dishes are red and black, the barstools are brown and beige, and the kitchen table is cherry. It sounds like it would look funky, but i think it looks nice.
    my bathroom is teal and lime green.. and I have pics of my bathroom, but nothing else. my moms bathroom is just stock. she didn't do much to it because as she says, "it's just a bathroom. all i do is shit, shower and shave", and we've been working on her bedroom. Right now she as an oak bedset, and a rocking chair. i think since I'm such an awesome kid I'll probably decorate her bedroom for her birthday.

we moved in July, and we're still working on it.

I'm off tomorrow, so i'll put those barstools together and make it look like we actually use the kitchen, set the table and put stuff on the fridge, and post pictures here.
    maybe.

Sorry D_S, I demand pictures.  Imagination.  I no has it.  I want to see the colors in that pillow.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

[quote author=KimTisha link=topic=18633.msg1186775#msg1186775 date=1234761099]
    Sorry D_S, I demand pictures.  Imagination.  I no has it.  I want to see the colors in that pillow.
    [/quote]

I have looked in every logical place for my camera cable, so clearly it is in an illogical place. *sigh* I'll find it tomorrow. I'm too lazy tonight.

I'm moving this to the Home Decorating thread.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=14731.msg1186781#msg1186781 date=1234761309]Will they keep it in Paris Tennessee not France for you until you move back? [/quote]

Yes, they will.  They kindly offered to hold it there for us but I have the perfect spot for it right here in this house. 

We're also looking at an absolutely awesome 4-panel Victorian scrap screen that has been featured in Architectural Digest.  It's really one of the best examples of the art I've seen.  Hubby wants it in the worst way and is willing to pay whatever they want - I'm cheap and want to talk them down.  It was (slightly) damaged in the move from Dallas to Paris Tennessee not France and I think it's going to cost a small fortune to get it repaired.  Also, on one panel the scraps are lifting a bit.  I suspect it was placed near a heater or an open window at some point in it's life.  The piece is beautiful but it will require some expert restoration.  Here's a (not so great) pic of the damage:

You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

How do you buy curtains? Someone help me. You just measure the width and length and find the closest thing? Same thing with the curtain rod?

I have lacy ikea things stapled to the top of my windows right now.  :oops:

I am sick of the cooks next door looking in my bedroom though.  :lol:

[quote author=KimTisha link=topic=18633.msg1186813#msg1186813 date=1234762992]
    I'm moving this to the Home Decorating thread.

Yes, they will.  They kindly offered to hold it there for us but I have the perfect spot for it right here in this house. 

We're also looking at an absolutely awesome 4-panel Victorian scrap screen that has been featured in Architectural Digest.  It's really one of the best examples of the art I've seen.  Hubby wants it in the worst way and is willing to pay whatever they want - I'm cheap and want to talk them down.  It was (slightly) damaged in the move from Dallas to Paris Tennessee not France and I think it's going to cost a small fortune to get it repaired.  Also, on one panel the scraps are lifting a bit.  I suspect it was placed near a heater or an open window at some point in it's life.  The piece is beautiful but it will require some expert restoration.  Here's a (not so great) pic of the damage:

[/quote]

How much will it cost to ship it there from Paris Tennessee not France? And what's a scrap screen? It looks kinda awesome.

[quote author=aprilcarter29 link=topic=18633.msg1186818#msg1186818 date=1234763325]
    How do you buy curtains? Someone help me. You just measure the width and length and find the closest thing? Same thing with the curtain rod?

[/quote]

For the width I think you double it, depending on how fluffy you want them.

Here April, check this out.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8550_measure-window-curtains.html

[quote author=aprilcarter29 link=topic=18633.msg1186818#msg1186818 date=1234763325]

[/quote]

i didn't think size mattered.
    i have "panels" though. So if you had an extra wide window, you could buy more than one panel.

I like this thread! I need some suggestions on what to put in front of this window. It looks too empty. Dismiss the boxes, my new roomate just moved in. What do you guys think?

I added the extra pics so you guys could get an idea on colors.

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=18633.msg1186821#msg1186821 date=1234763531]How much will it cost to ship it there from Paris Tennessee not France? And what's a scrap screen? It looks kinda awesome. [/quote]

Regarding shipping costs, I'm not exactly sure, but based on items we've shipped in the past I'm guessing it would cost a couple of hundred dollars - and then we'd have to pay import tax on top of it.  Between shipping and taxes it would probably drive the total cost of the chair up to about $850 and my thrifty heart can't justify that.  I think it's going to have to stay in Paris Tennessee not France until we return to the States to live.  :2sad:

Now about that scrap screen...  it's the old victorian art of decoupage.  Stolen straight from the internet:

From the beginning of the 19th century, in Europe and America, heavily lacquered reliefs had been used to decorate furniture, fire-screens, clocks and even musical instruments.  In the Victorian home an elegant scrap screen was an almost indispensible piece of furniture.

Families rejoiced in the pleasant and profitable hours to be found in this fascinating recreation and saw the scrap screen as the practical and artistic outcome of many hours of enjoyable home-work. The beautiful screens that have survived were no doubt designed and compiled by adults, its compilation demanding both skill and patience.
    The one we're looking at is really beautiful, honestly one of the prettiest we've seen.  It's a four panel screen with a literary theme on one side (Shakespeare, Burns, Browning, and Keats) and a royalty theme on the other (damaged) side.  But I must be an idiot because looking at my pictures I realize I only photographed the damage and not the entire screen. 

Anyway.... here's an example of a six-panel screen on display in a museum estate in England.  It's bigger than the one I want (6 panels vs 4 panels - and the panels are wider too) but it's of similar style and quality.

Close up of detail:

[quote author=wheresthebeef link=topic=18633.msg1186836#msg1186836 date=1234764326]
    I like this thread! I need some suggestions on what to put in front of this window. It looks too empty. Dismiss the boxes, my new roomate just moved in. What do you guys think?

I added the extra pics so you guys could get an idea on colors.[/quote]

First off, I love the picture on the wall.  And are you looking to put a piece of furniture or something in front of the window or are you talking about window treatments?  I'd start by adding color to the curtains.  Pick up the rich reds in the woman's dress.  Maybe deep red curtains with a bit of texture and some sheen to them.  On the cheap you can pick up something like this at Target for $29.99:

[quote author=KimTisha link=topic=18633.msg1187012#msg1187012 date=1234794062]
    First off, I love the picture on the wall.  And are you looking to put a piece of furniture or something in front of the window or are you talking about window treatments?  I'd start by adding color to the curtains.  Pick up the rich reds in the woman's dress.  Maybe deep red curtains with a bit of texture and some sheen to them.  On the cheap you can pick up something like this at Target for $29.99:

[/quote]

That is an excellent idea, but I just picked up the curtains that are there now, haha. You are right about adding color though.

Furniture wise. Maybe a sette?

[quote author=deeply shaded link=topic=18633.msg1186761#msg1186761 date=1234760158]
    I can't find the cable to connect my camera to my computer at the moment. I keep putting things away then can't remember where I put them.

The chaise looks like this but it's black and the pillow is black/red/cream colored/light brown.

[/quote]

I have always always wanted one of these!! And I want to see pics of the actual colors, so find that cord! lol

[quote author=neenerneener link=topic=16633.msg1186289#msg1186289 date=1234718054]
    thanks, kim 

as far as keeping the tables pushed together, i dont know how much longer jarrod can handle that.  he's dying to get a regular cofffee table.  hmmmmm.  this pashmina you speak of...do you have a pic?  maybe he's like something like that!  [/quote]

Neener, I'm moving this to the Home Decorating thread, hope you see it.  I am an avid collector of pashminas (you can buy them on just about every street corner of every major city in Europe).  I throw them all over the house - tables, sideboards, chairs - in addition to wearing them myself.  But if the pushed together end tables are driving Jarrod crazy, I doubt he'll be able to handle the pashmina thing.  It would probably be a little too bohemian for him.  They used to drive Steve crazy - I'd scrunch one up on the fireplace mantel or drape one across the back of a chair and he'd come up behind me, fold it neatly and put it away.  :lol:  :lol:  He's retired military (USAF) and likes everything to "match."  I, on the other hand, am a bit of a free spirit (understatement).  He's finally come around though.  When we were in Paris over Christmas we passed a pashmina kiosk and he turned to me and said "Look!  They're only five euros each!  Do you think our furniture needs a new wardrobe?"  :lol:

Here's what I do with them:

Note the pashminas wrapped around the dining room chair backs and draped on the sideboard.

And keeping the wine cabinet comfortable (this is the scrunched up look that used to make Steve twitch)...

Here's three I think would look great on your "coffee table."  And one of the best things about them is they are double sided, so you can just reverse them and get a little different look depending on what color(s) you want to emphasize.  I've reversed them and placed the photos side by side so you can see the difference.

[quote author=wheresthebeef link=topic=18633.msg1187374#msg1187374 date=1234820039]
    That is an excellent idea, but I just picked up the curtains that are there now, haha. You are right about adding color though.

Furniture wise. Maybe a sette?[/quote]

A settee or bench, a plant stand, a short bookcase or apothecary chest, a (hope) chest... If storage is a problem in your house a chest would be a good solution.  But it looks like you might have a vent/register on the floor under that window.  Is it something you can cover up without messing up your heat/air?

eta:  How much space do you have between the floor and the bottom of that window?  Inches I mean.

KimTisha, you have the best taste ever.

Please come to Cairo and go to town on my apartment. Please. 
    <br /><br />Funk all night.

[quote author=DaGr link=topic=18633.msg1187473#msg1187473 date=1234824103]KimTisha, you have the best taste ever.

Please come to Cairo and go to town on my apartment. Please.&nbsp; [/quote]

Why thank yew DaGr...&nbsp; :oops:&nbsp;

Is this Cairo in Egypt?

All other Cairos are fake wannabes.&nbsp; :2shocked:

...so that's a yes.&nbsp;
    <br /><br />Funk all night.

[quote author=DaGr link=topic=18633.msg1187543#msg1187543 date=1234826487]
    All other Cairos are fake wannabes.&nbsp; &nbsp;:2shocked:

...so that's a yes.&nbsp; &nbsp;[/quote]

OMG, I'm on my way!&nbsp; All the great fabrics, the pottery, the brass, the carpets... I would have a flippin' field day!&nbsp; &nbsp;

[quote author=KimTisha link=topic=18633.msg1187558#msg1187558 date=1234826817]
    OMG, I'm on my way!&#160; All the great fabrics, the pottery, the brass, the carpets... I would have a flippin' field day!&#160; &#160;
    [/quote]

How did I know the world traveling goddess would jump on that oppurtunity!

DS - I love the chaise.&#160; We bought new living room furniture not long ago and I really wanted a chaise but I fell in love with a chocolate brown suede sofa.&#160; So I bought two sofas (4 recliners -which I never use) and a 4 foot wedge.&#160; I need big furniture in the room because it is 30 by 25.
    So my living room colors are chocolate and aqua and I love it.&#160; I want these curtains but I need 16 panels.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelaiscaustic View Post
    I mean I spent most V days drunk, but that's because I'm a lush, not bc I was bitter haha

[quote author=KimTisha link=topic=18633.msg1187401#msg1187401 date=1234821244]
    Neener, I'm moving this to the Home Decorating thread, hope you see it.&nbsp; I am an avid collector of pashminas (you can buy them on just about every street corner of every major city in Europe).&nbsp; I throw them all over the house - tables, sideboards, chairs - in addition to wearing them myself.&nbsp; But if the pushed together end tables are driving Jarrod crazy, I doubt he'll be able to handle the pashmina thing.&nbsp; It would probably be a little too bohemian for him.&nbsp; They used to drive Steve crazy - I'd scrunch one up on the fireplace mantel or drape one across the back of a chair and he'd come up behind me, fold it neatly and put it away.&nbsp; :lol:&nbsp; :lol:&nbsp; He's retired military (USAF) and likes everything to &quot;match.&quot;&nbsp; I, on the other hand, am a bit of a free spirit (understatement).&nbsp; He's finally come around though.&nbsp; When we were in Paris over Christmas we passed a pashmina kiosk and he turned to me and said &quot;Look!&nbsp; They're only five euros each!&nbsp; Do you think our furniture needs a new wardrobe?&quot;&nbsp; :lol:

Note the pashminas wrapped around the dining room chair backs and draped on the sideboard.

And keeping the wine cabinet comfortable (this is the scrunched up look that used to make Steve twitch)...

Here's three I think would look great on your &quot;coffee table.&quot;&nbsp; And one of the best things about them is they are double sided, so you can just reverse them and get a little different look depending on what color(s) you want to emphasize.&nbsp; I've reversed them and placed the photos side by side so you can see the difference.

[/quote]

Just so I'm clear on this, you're talking Paris, Tennessee, right?

In other news, I think I'm in love with pashminas. And you. Would you come decorate my house?

And today I bought this family room thing that is 5 pieces that all fit together or can be pulled apart and has about a zillion pillows on it, a sofa table, a thing to sit by the door and hang coats on but also has a seat because I am old and need to sit to tie my shoes and a mirror because I care so deeply what I look like as I go out the door, a red leather couch and a little suit of armor guy to stand by the fireplace. He's so adorable.

I was gone all day and did not find my camera cord yet. Soon I am going to play SimAnimals on the Wii with my grandson then I am going to clean and look for the cord. And the charger. Because the camera died earlier.

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar

[quote author=KimTisha link=topic=18633.msg1187401#msg1187401 date=1234821244]
    Neener, I'm moving this to the Home Decorating thread, hope you see it.&nbsp; I am an avid collector of pashminas (you can buy them on just about every street corner of every major city in Europe).&nbsp; I throw them all over the house - tables, sideboards, chairs - in addition to wearing them myself.&nbsp; But if the pushed together end tables are driving Jarrod crazy, I doubt he'll be able to handle the pashmina thing.&nbsp; It would probably be a little too bohemian for him.&nbsp; They used to drive Steve crazy - I'd scrunch one up on the fireplace mantel or drape one across the back of a chair and he'd come up behind me, fold it neatly and put it away.&nbsp; :lol:&nbsp; :lol:&nbsp; He's retired military (USAF) and likes everything to &quot;match.&quot;&nbsp; I, on the other hand, am a bit of a free spirit (understatement).&nbsp; He's finally come around though.&nbsp; When we were in Paris over Christmas we passed a pashmina kiosk and he turned to me and said &quot;Look!&nbsp; They're only five euros each!&nbsp; Do you think our furniture needs a new wardrobe?&quot;&nbsp; :lol:

Here's three I think would look great on your &quot;coffee table.&quot;&nbsp; And one of the best things about them is they are double sided, so you can just reverse them and get a little different look depending on what color(s) you want to emphasize.&nbsp; I've reversed them and placed the photos side by side so you can see the difference.

[/quote]

this thread...

kim i think pashminas are an awesome idea!&nbsp; jarrod loves it when things match, and i hate it.&nbsp; :lol:&nbsp; i think a few pashminas would let a little bit of my style show through.&nbsp; &nbsp; at his parents house, there were always blankets and things draped on the furniture, so i dont think he'll be that opposed to it.&nbsp; :-P

um.&nbsp; i'm going to come to your house and steal all of your stuff.&nbsp; :oops:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

Thread Information