Thread: Breiton S Ackerman, missing since 2005 at age 4

Breiton S Ackerman, missing since 2005 at age 4

I've always thought this was such a weird story.

Name: Breiton S Ackerman
    Age At Report: 4
    Age Now: 8
    Weight: 40 lbs.
    Height: 3'00"
    Race: White 
    Hair: Sandy 
    Eyes: Hazel 
    Sex: Male 
    Incident Type: Child lost/wandered away 

Breiton Ackerman was reported missing to Sioux County Sheriff's Office, Orange City on May 22, 2005

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/ackerman_breiton.html

http://www.nampn.org/cases/ackerman_breiton.html

Breiton disappeared while on a fishing trip with his family near Alton. It is believed that he may have fallen into Willow Creek, where he was last seen. Searchers, divers, dogs, helicopters and heavy equipment were used in a search of the area, but to no avail. Believing that the child's body may have been carried downstream, a subsequent search was done where Willow Creek meets the Floyd River, near Le Mars, but no sign of Breiton was ever found.

I think I remember reading that they dammed this creek and drained it and never did find the body. It makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Re: Breiton S Ackerman, missing since 2005 at age 4

I'm his mother.  If you'd like any information, please ask.  It is a strange case.  Even more so when you know all the details.

Beth

[quote author=backer1968 link=topic=18590.msg1254834#msg1254834 date=1240338802]
    I'm his mother.  If you'd like any information, please ask.  It is a strange case.  Even more so when you know all the details.

Beth
    [/quote]

Please feel free to post any information you wish to or can share right here.  This is a pretty widely read website and you never know where your answers may come from.

I am so sorry for what you are going through.

I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

[quote author=backer1968 link=topic=18590.msg1254834#msg1254834 date=1240338802]

Beth
    [/quote]

Hi Beth. I'm so sorry for your loss. I've wondered about this case for a long time. I'm curious about the creek. How wide is it? How deep? I'm from SE Iowa but not familiar with your area. Just thinking of the creeks around here it seems to odd that he would have never been found. What do you think happened?
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

Bumping to add a bit of detail & just say what a gorgeous kid. He was born around the same time as my son. I really don't know how parents function after something like this

http://iowacoldcases.org/case-summar...iton-ackerman/

About Breiton Ackerman From Breiton?s obituary published in the Sioux City Journal:* ALTON, Iowa ? Breiton Scott Ackerman, 4-year old son of Brad and Beth Ackerman of rural Alton, is presumed to have passed away Sunday, May 22, 2005, in a drowning accident. Breiton Ackerman (Courtesy IA Dept. of Public Safety) Memorial services were held Friday, May 27, at 2 p.m. at Calvary Christian Reformed Church in Orange City, with the Rev. David Heilman officiating. Arrangements were under the direction of Oolman Funeral Home in Orange City.

Breiton was born July 10, 2000, in Orange City, the son of Brad and Beth (De Jong) Ackerman. He was raised in rural Alton and attended Orange City Headstart and Covenant Kids Preschool. He was a baptized member of the Immanuel Christian Reformed Church in Orange City. He loved being outdoors with his dad and playing with his classmates and cousins. His favorite outdoors activities were riding a four-wheeler, fishing and camping. He enjoyed playing farm, especially with his toy horses. He was often referred to as ?B? or ?Daddy?s Melon Head.? His favorite shirt was his ?monkey muscle shirt?, which was a sleeveless t-shirt that matched one of his dad?s shirts. He and his cousin, Zachary, shared a favorite saying, ?He did it.?

Survivors included his parents; three sisters, Roslyn, Cassandra ?Cassie? and Sara, all at home; grandparents, Dennis and Gloria Vander Plaats of Sioux Center, Iowa, and Glenn and Jacqueline De Jong of Alton; several great-grandparents; a great-great-grandmother; and uncles, aunts and cousins, Tim and Pam Ackerman and their children, Katelyn, Samuel and Maggie, Dan and Denise Vander Plaats and their children, Ben and Emma, Nathan and Shawna Vander Plaats, Josh and Amanda Vander Plaats, David and Michelle Kremers and their children, Justin, Ashley and Connor, and Scott and Erica De Jong and their children, Zachary and Brooke. He was preceded in death by his grandfather, Bud Ackerman Jr.; and a cousin, Allie Rae De Jong. Memorials may be directed to the Immanuel Christian Reformed Church special fund at any of the Orange City banks

Breiton Scott Ackerman, 4 years old, disappeared on Sunday, May 22, 2005, while on a fishing trip with his family near Alton, Iowa. He was reported missing to the Sioux County Sheriff?s Office in Orange City, Iowa, that same day. The Ackerman family were on a small concrete bridge over Willow Creek and said they lost sight of him for less than a minute some time between 3:00 and 4:00 p.m. At the time of his disappearance, Breiton was wearing a green tank top and denim shorts. It was believed Breiton fell into the creek and drowned, but extensive searches by divers, dogs, helicopters and heavy equipment in both the water and surrounding area turned up nothing.

Courtesy photo Tim Hynds/Sioux City Journal* September 2005: Volunteers, from left, Cory Riemersma of Orange City, Carl Mulder of Orange City, Dave Goslings of Sioux Center, and Curtis Winterfeld of Hawarden search the banks of Willow Creek northeast of Le Mars for the body of four-year-old Breiton Ackerman of rural Alton.

Police*have never found any trace of what happened to the boy, who went missing May 22, 2005, and is presumed to have drowned. Thinking his body may have been carried downstream, a subsequent search was done where Willow Creek meets the Floyd River near Le Mars, Iowa, but no sign of Breiton was ever found. Seven Years Later Every May 22, Brad Ackerman visits the spot where his son disappeared. ?I don?t think you ever quit wondering, quit worrying,? Ackerman, of Alton, told the*Sioux City Journal in a story published May 21, 2012. Searchers had gone so far as to tear up the concrete bridge where Breiton was last seen, even though Sioux County Sheriff Dan Altena told the Journal a child Breiton?s size would have only floated 100 yards down the creek.

?We found nothing. Not one iota,? Altena said. ?Not a piece of ripped shirt or anything.? The*Journal also reported in the May 21, 2012 article: Sioux County deputies reexamined the case a few years ago. They gave a polygraph examination to a relative at creek that day. Although they didn?t suspect the man, who went for help, of harming Breiton, Altena said they wanted to know if Breiton could have sneaked inside the vehicle without anyone knowing it. Altena said the man passed the polygraph, and that no one at the creek is suspected of harming Breiton. Read the Sioux City Journal?s full article here. In addition to the interview, the Journal also posted a Crime Watch Video where Brad Ackerman shared memories about his son and talked about what it?s like not knowing what happened to his son after all these years. (See below.)
    Last edited by blighted star; 10-06-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Except for the fact it involves a creek, this is an awful lot like the little guy missing down here right now.

http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.c...race/?id=71842

A Northwest Iowa missing person's case continues to haunt family members and rescuers three years after it happened.

In May 2005, four-year-old Breiton Ackerman disappeared while he was with*eight family members fishing along Willow creek near Alton.

While Breiton is presumed drowned, nothing was ever found: not his body, not even a trace of clothing or his scent by search dogs.

The case remained in the headlines for months. But after Breiton's disappearance stopped getting so much attention, his friends, family and community were left to pick up the pieces.*

A small creek is now the site of a mystery; one that 500 searchers couldn't unravel.*

What happened to Breiton Ackerman seems like there's no way it should ever have happened at all. His oldest sister was put in charge of him.*

Beth Ackerman says, "She put him up on the bridge to play in the mud. My nephew caught a fish, so my brother went up and he was sitting there playing, full of mud. 45 seconds later one of my younger daughters caught a fish and he was gone and he kind of turned around and said where did Breiton go? "*

Roslyn Ackerman says, "I struggled with guilt for a couple months afterwards. I was supposed to be watching him and I was the one that turned around and let him be. "*

Angela asks, "You've got to be thinking, how could he just disappear? It's just a little creek. There are all these people around, just such a freak thing like that?*

Beth Ackerman says, "But they didn't look in the water right away. They didn't instantly think he fell in. They thought oh, if he got tired he would go find a place to lay down take a nap, so they walked up to the pickup."*

His mother believes the strong current in the creek quickly carried Breiton away while they were looking in the pickup for him.*

But after an intensive search there wasn't a single lead; a fact that still disturbs Sioux County Sheriff Dan Altena today.*

Dan Altena says, "And the fact we didn't find one little piece of clothing or anything has really bothered us for quite some time.”*

Altena and his deputy make a yearly visit back to the scene on the anniversary date of Breiton's disappearance, even today still with more questions than answers.*

Dan Altena says, "You almost want to start digging here or looking there, even if it's one, two, three years afterwards. It's haunting because we did so much work out there as far as digging and manpower and further searches down to LeMars and even Sioux City with boats and came up with nothing,"*

Surprisingly enough Breiton's mother says she's not disturbed by the fact that her son's body was never found.
    Beth Ackerman says, "I have never felt like I needed a body for closure. I can't say it doesn't bother my not knowing, but I think it would probably bother me to know more now. "*

The loss took its toll on the Ackerman family. His parents have divorced.

"I think my husband thought I blamed him. I can honestly say, I've never said this is all your fault, I've never consciously thought it."*

And oldest daughter Roslyn struggled with her guilt.

Roslyn Ackerman says, "I felt like crap, because it was my responsibility to be watching him."

Beth Ackerman says, "She's come a long way. We had some scary moments after that. I told her right away, you know it's not anyone's fault, that's why it's called an accident. There's no reason for me to blame you. It could have happened if I was there."

Beitons' family says they wouldn't be as at peace with his disappearance today, if it weren't for all the people in Sioux County who rallied behind them.

Roslyn says, "Basically the community helped me through it all."*

Beth says, "I do believe it's faith. My family's helped a lot, my friends."

Today the Ackermans try to focus on the good memories they have of Breiton*

Roslyn Ackerman says, "We were "bestest" buddies He was always kind of like me. There was always this bond. I had always wanted a brother and I finally got my brother.*

Beth Ackerman says, "I think most people would look at him and he brought a smile to people. He just had that kind of personality that made people smile."*

Roslyn Ackerman says, "I do miss him, I still do."*

Breiton Ackerman would have turned*eight last week. One positive thing to come out of his disappearance was the revival of the Sioux County dive team. Breiton's dad, Brad Ackerman, has also joined the team.

Filling in a double post

Apparently Breiton is/was one of the few designations of "Lost/Wandered" in the Iowa MP database

http://archive.desmoinesregister.com...g-person-cases

Links to articles written during the original search

http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.c...nues/?id=39943

http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.c...n/?id=25,42200
    Last edited by blighted star; 10-06-2014 at 11:04 PM. Reason: screwed up U.S state names again., lol. don't ask.

Sorry guys. Backpage seems to = post it again! & again! & again!! today

The dogs never even found his scent? I guess drowning would be most likely, but the whole no scent thing makes me think someone could've taken him. If a stranger snatched him, picked him up and carried him then a dog probably wouldn't find his scent. If he fell into the water, I would think the dogs would've followed his scent to the water and then lost it there.

How sad for them family. Almost been 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Thread Information