Thread: Amy Wroe Bechtel - missing since July 1997

Olivia

Amy Wroe Bechtel - missing since July 1997

Amy Wroe Bechtel was last seen Thursday July 24th, 1997 southwest of Lander, Wyoming on the Loop Road between Sinks Canyon and South Pass.

At the time of her disappearance Amy was 24 years old, 5'6", 115 lbs. with shoulder length blond hair, blue eyes and athletic build. She was wearing a yellow tank top, black shorts, Adidas Trail Response running shoes, Timex Ironman Triathalon watch and a small double band wedding ring.

Amy's car was found on the Loop Road near a small road where she had started her run. Her keys were found in her car, and her green Eagle Creek wallet is missing. Anyone having traveled in the Shoshone National Forest between July 24 and August 1 is requested to call the Fremont County Sheriff's department with any information.

http://www.fpcg.net/amy/

I have been reading about Amy.  There was alot of suspicion around her husband at the time she disappeared.  I found his blog - it seems like he is remarried with a baby

http://www.blogger.com/profile/16899065264977555925

Re: Amy Wroe Bechtel - missing since July 1997

1997?!  That chica is long gone.
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    I love everyone except Amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowCake1 View Post
    Amy's taste > Tara's

Bumping to update new lead

http://county10.com/2013/03/05/amy-w...ngs-death-row/

Lander, Wyo.) – A national cable television show that aired in January did not bring in as many tips on the disappearance of then 24-year-old Amy Wroe Bechtel of Lander as was hoped, an investigator said today. “We only received a couple new tips after the Investigation Discovery channel show was broadcast, including one from Georgia,” said Fremont County Sheriff’s Detective John Zerga. But Zerga also said a tip received last summer may be the

Bechtel disappeared the afternoon of July 24, 1997 while checking out the route of a 10K race she was planning along the Loop Road in the Shoshone National Forest above Lander. An exhaustive weeks-long search of the Loop Road and environs failed to find any evidence of the petite runner, who starred as a University of Wyoming track athlete. She was waiting tables at the former Sweetwater Grill in

But Zerga said a man already on death row at the Wyoming State Penitentiary in Rawlins has become a focus of the investigation.

“The brother of Dale Wayne Eaton told us this past summer that he was in the area at the time Amy disappeared,” Zerga said. “He told us that Eaton told family members that he was going fishing at some beaver ponds in the Wind Rivers at a spot where they always set up their elk camp, in Burnt Gulch. He was also specific as to the time when Eaton said he would be there.” Zerga said Eaton’s brother “swears up and down that he was camped up there when she disappeared.”

“If he was up there, I have no doubt he was involved,” Zerga said. But the sheriff’s department detective also said Eaton has been uncooperative. “We’re going back down there (Rawlins) in a few weeks to talk to him again.”

Eaton was given a death sentence on his conviction of the kidnapping, rape and murder of college co-ed Lisa Marie Kimmell of Billings in July of 1989 near Casper. In 2002 after DNA sampling connected Eaton to the crime, Kimmel’s car was found buried on his property at Moneta in Eastern Fremont County still bearing its iconic “Lil Miss” Montana license plates.

In one other lead lead in the local case, Zerga said Sheriff’s investigators and Shoshone National Forest personnel were led to several locations along the Loop Road this past October by a psychic who claimed that she and two other psychics had “felt” were connected to Bechtel’s disappearance. “But the ground was frozen there, and there was a snow cover, so we plan to return this spring with cadaver dogs to check the locations that were pinpointed,” he said. “I don’t believe in psychics but we’re following every lead we get. We do what we can, try what we can to solve this.”
    http://wyomingpublicmedia.org/post/a...y-wroe-bechtel

The Fremont County Sheriff’s Office says it believes Dale Wayne Eaton, Wyoming’s only death row inmate, may have had a role in the 1997 disappearance of Lander woman, Amy Wroe-Bechtel. A former UW track star, Bechtel disappeared near a running trail on the Loop Road outside Lander.

Detective John Zerga says Eaton, who was convicted of the kidnapping, rape and murder of Lisa Marie Kimmell in the Lil’ Miss case, has always been on the list of suspects. Eaton’s execution was stayed last year and he isn’t talking. But Zerga says a tip from Eaton’s brother may help prove he was in the Lander area when Bechtel went missing.

“We’ve talked with his family members, we’ve talked with some FBI profilers,” he says, “some cold case workers in Colorado, the detectives that did the Lil’ Miss case, and we believe through all our interviews there’s a good reason to believe Dale was involved with this.”

Zerga says the profilers believe Eaton could also be a good match for the Great Basin Serial Killer responsible for a slew of murders of women in Nevada, Utah, Wyoming and Colorado in the 80s and 90s.

Zerga added that detectives plan to pursue another lead from a woman claiming to be psychic surrounding two possible areas of in interest near where Bechtel disappeared.

“This summer, we had a tip come in. It was a gal, she said she’s a psychic. And she took us to two areas up there that she felt that we should search,” says Zerga, “And I don’t know how their psychic stuff works or what it does, but granted, we follow up on all information that comes in.”

Zerga says they’ll take cadaver dogs to search the area once the snow melts.

Ah the Little Miss killer. Way to close to home.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Pretty sure both of those cases were profiled on "Unsolved Mysteries." The Lil Miss case is weird- a lot of people saw her car (and possibly her driving it) after the time that Eaton killed her. I tend to discount eyewitness sightings pretty easily, but many of these witnesses remember the "Lil Miss" plate on the car.

Really thorough article about Amy from 2016 - won't post it as it's super long

http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-...long-gone-girl

Thread Information