Thread: Tara Leigh Calico missing 20th September 1988

Tara Leigh Calico missing 20th September 1988

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/257dfnm.html

Tara Leigh Calico
    Missing since September 20, 1988 from Belen, Valencia County, New Mexico.

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: February 28, 1969
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 19 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'7; 120 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; green eyes.
    Marks, Scars: Calico has a large scar on the back of her right shoulder. She also has a dime-sized brown-colored birthmark on the back of her leg.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance

Tara Leigh Calico was abducted just before noon on September 20, 1988 while on her daily 36 mile bike ride just south of Belen, New Mexico.
    Around 11:45 am, witnesses observed a 1953 Ford pick-up truck, dirty white or light gray -in color, with a white homemade shell, following Tara, who was wearing headphones, down the unpopulated stretch of highway where she was riding, but no one saw the abduction. The bike, a pink Huffy, has never been found. She was 2 miles from home at the time of the sighting. The small, cracked plastic window of the Sony walkman was recovered 19 miles east of N.M. 47 near the remote John F. Kennedy campground. Calico's mother believes that her daughter deliberately discarded the items as a way to mark her trail. Detectives also identified bike tracks on the north side of the shoulder of N.M. 47, near the place the cassette tape was found, where a scuffle might have taken place.

There were numerous unconfirmed sightings of Tara in 1988 and 1989 - mostly in the southern half of the United States.

On June 15, 1989, nine months after her disappearance, a Polaroid photograph of an unidentified female, bound and gagged, was located in a convenience store parking lot in St. Joe, FL. Though authorities have not positively identified the female as Tara, the photograph shows a book placed by the female and has been identified as "My Sweet Audrina" by V.C. Andrews, Tara's favorite Author.

Link to the photo of the bound and gagged girl and other details behind it-
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/66uffl.html

This has full photo of her and the boy as well as other info-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tara_Calico

Some people think its not her but another missing girl called Karen Mitchell.

Re: Tara Leigh Calico missing 20th September 1988

DAILY 36 mile bike ride??? is that even possible? That polaroid is creepy.. wonder if her mom thinks it's her or the other missing girl.

[quote author=lalizaa link=topic=18533.msg1177755#msg1177755 date=1234041785]
    DAILY 36 mile bike ride??? is that even possible? That polaroid is creepy.. wonder if her mom thinks it's her or the other missing girl.
    [/quote]

I saw the small black and white one some time ago, but didn't see the coloured full photo with the boy until today. I haven't yet found any record of her parents comments on the photo, they are both dead now.

36 miles is madness, maybe it means 36 there and back? Still tho, I thought the 5 mile bike ride too school then 5 back again was bad enough!

I think its so sad that the parents are dead now.  That photo mustve driven them insane.  This made me sad.

Does look like her.. isn't there ways they can id faces in photos now or have i been watching to many murder dramas? I know its never 100% but surely some one gave these a look over?

I looked at Karen Mitchell and didn't see much of a resemblence.

Quote Originally Posted by angelicajustice View Post
    I wouldn't fuck her with Ron's dick.

[quote author=Lozz*in*Wonderland link=topic=18533.msg1177781#msg1177781 date=1234042978]

Does look like her.. isn't there ways they can id faces in photos now or have i been watching to many murder dramas? I know its never 100% but surely some one gave these a look over?
    [/quote]

Wow I definitely think that looks like her. God how horrible for her poor parents to have had to live with that photo..
    I'm sure there's a way to ID that? no? Maybe it is all the murder dramas, lol, but it would make sense they could do that. I mean, focus in on specific facial features and compare... like they do with identifying missing people? Or like, reconstructions..
    I don't know I really have no background to what I'm saying. Just thinking out loud.

and yeah... 36 miles a DAY-- she must have been in amazing shape! Hopefully she put up a hell of a fight.

[quote author=lalizaa link=topic=18533.msg1177869#msg1177869 date=1234048694]

Wow I definitely think that looks like her. God how horrible for her poor parents to have had to live with that photo..
    I'm sure there's a way to ID that? no? Maybe it is all the murder dramas, lol, but it would make sense they could do that. I mean, focus in on specific facial features and compare... like they do with identifying missing people? Or like, reconstructions..
    I don't know I really have no background to what I'm saying. Just thinking out loud.

and yeah... 36 miles a DAY-- she must have been in amazing shape! Hopefully she put up a hell of a fight.
    [/quote]

I thought the photo comparing was correct by a high percent but i watched a documentry on Amelia Earhart, they thought they had found her living somewhere, the photo compare guy was so sure it was her, then they done dna testing and it wasn't...

I wonder if anyone knows who the boy gagged in the photo is/was or if he's just another missing kiddy logged somewhere?

Oops! I'm sorry I got a lil' confused with the pics. of Tara Calico and
    Karen Mitchell  
    I think it looks extremely like Tara Calico!
    The pic with the tape is haunting!

I remember when this was on the news here. So sad that the parents never learned what happened to their daughter. There has been a lot of speculation on who the little boy in the picture is also.

I am afraid that this one will probably never be figured out. :(

Yeah, 21 yrs. later doesn't seem very promising. Her poor family never got closer. So sad...

wikipedia says:

Twenty years after her disappearance, Rene Rivera, sheriff of Valencia County announced that he knew what happened to Tara Calico. According to Rivera, boys who knew her from school drove up behind her in a truck and some form of accident followed. Tara later died and those responsible covered up the crime. Rivera states he knows the names of those involved, but that, without a body, he cannot make a case. He has not released whatever evidence has led him to this conclusion. No arrests have been made, and the case remains open.[1]
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    I love everyone except Amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowCake1 View Post
    Amy's taste > Tara's

has supermodel tits neenerneener's Avatar

is this the case where the polaroid pic also had a little boy in it, laying next to her? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC
    I want to kiss your lips. Both sets.
    * wow you truly are the sterial cunt here are yo not.I fuckin hate you cunt* - Loonywop
    ★ take the sig down ★ - Loonywop

[quote author=neenerneener link=topic=18533.msg1180308#msg1180308 date=1234273516]
    is this the case where the polaroid pic also had a little boy in it, laying next to her? 
    [/quote]

Yeah the info and link too full photo is in top post.

I'm no expert, though I do have an associates degree in Criminal Justice and currently working on my bachelors degree.  After studying the pics I think it is a strong possibility it is her.  The eyes, eyebrows, nose and jaw and cheek lines look identical to me.  The hair in the creepy pic looks like what her hair would look like if pulled back, based on the photo of her; it's all whispy in the front like when you have bangs that are too short to pull back, which she did.

Like I said, not an expert, just based on a little of what I know and basic comparison skills.

It's so sad her parents died without ever knowing what happened to her.

I live in NM. My dad was in the Air Force Reserve at the time and the Sheriff's department recruited a lot of military people and former cops to help in organized searches. My dad went one day to search. It is sad that her parents never got closure. One theory that emerged in recent years that Tara could have been the victim of David Parker Ray who kidnapped and sexually tortued women before killing them
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Parker_Ray

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.

[quote author=cryslynne link=topic=18533.msg1284667#msg1284667 date=1243133863]
    I'm no expert, though I do have an associates degree in Criminal Justice and currently working on my bachelors degree.  After studying the pics I think it is a strong possibility it is her.  The eyes, eyebrows, nose and jaw and cheek lines look identical to me.  The hair in the creepy pic looks like what her hair would look like if pulled back, based on the photo of her; it's all whispy in the front like when you have bangs that are too short to pull back, which she did.

Like I said, not an expert, just based on a little of what I know and basic comparison skills.

It's so sad her parents died without ever knowing what happened to her.
    [/quote]

Agreed.  It's sick to think of parents dying not knowing what happened to their children.  The same thing happened to Richard Keith Call's parents when he and Cassandra Hailey disappeared in 1988 in Virginia.  I don't know how they go on day after day..it breaks your heart.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Thread Information