Thread: Kristen Modafferi missing June 23, 1997

Kristen Modafferi missing June 23, 1997

i've been following Kristen's case since i first got internet...roughly 10-11 years now.

the following is from the FBI's Missing Person's page:

June 23, 1997
    San Francisco, California
    KRISTEN MODAFFERI

DESCRIPTION
    Date of Birth: June 1, 1979
    Place of Birth: Danbury, Connecticut
    Sex: Female
    Hair: Dark Brown - Shoulder Length
    Height:         5'6"
    Eyes:         Brown
    Weight:         140 pounds
    Race:         White

THE DETAILS

Kristen Modafferi was last seen on the afternoon of June 23, 1997, at the coffee shop where she was working in the Crocker Galleria Mall in San Francisco, California. The then eighteen-year-old had completed her freshman year of college in North Carolina and had recently moved to the San Francisco area to attend summer school at the University of California at Berkeley. She was living in Oakland. She has not been seen or heard from since.
    REMARKS

Kristen Modafferi has distinctive dimples on her face. She likes photography, painting, and other creative activities. She was not known to own any vehicles and generally used public transportation. She may have been carrying a green Jansport brand backpack with a black mesh pocket in the front.
    the following are more links with lots more information on Kristen:

Find Kristen Site
    http://www.findkristen.com/

Another Section of FindKristen.com that i couldn't find a link to, from the home page.
    http://www.findkristen.com/AllChapters.html

The Kristen Foundation Site
    http://www.kristenfoundation.org/cgi...=sp&ID=000

Her Wikipedia Entry
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristen_Modafferi

An NCSU Page
    http://clubs.ncsu.edu/ladies_in_red/kristen.html

Her NCMA Page
    http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/co...ile_kmodafferi

Her NCMEC Entry (with age progression)
    http://208.254.21.169/missingkids/se...archLang=en_US

i could go on forever.  there's TONS of sites out there with information....just google her name.

Olivia

Re: Kristen Modafferi missing June 23, 1997

This one and Kristin Smart are two disappearances that I always check back on.  It's just so sad.

i know.  i'm pretty sure i once read some theory posted by dennis mahon about how he went to mexico for awhile following tips that she was spotted there.  i was so caught up in her story for the longest time, hoping she really WAS in mexico, and he'd find her there.

Olivia

[quote author=portia link=topic=20265.msg1299359#msg1299359 date=1244503891]
    i know.  i'm pretty sure i once read some theory posted by dennis mahon about how he went to mexico for awhile following tips that she was spotted there.  i was so caught up in her story for the longest time, hoping she really WAS in mexico, and he'd find her there.
    [/quote]

Do you mean Nicaragua?

This chapter will take you in a totally different direction than you've been before.  It is about a potential sighting of Kristen, in May of 2000, nearly 3 years after she vanished without a trace in San Francisco.  It does not necessarily change the events that lead to Kristen's disappearance, whatever they may be, but this story, if it is true, gives rise to the hope that Kristen is still alive. 

A man named Randal Davis tells the story.  He is a 53-year-old man who traveled to Central America in the spring of 2000, and met a young woman in a small town called Granada, Nicaragua.  He remembers her being called "Kristen" by Lawrence Mojica, whose family lived in Granada.  He remembers her saying that she was from the Carolinas, and then Kentucky, and thinks this might have been a slip, and an attempt to cover up.  The young woman was troubled, having lost contact with her family.  Randal spent several hours talking with her, and suggested to her that she contact her family and find her way home.  She said that she needed to find herself first. 

In the months that followed his trip to Nicaragua, Randal Davis had no knowledge of Kristen Modafferi, until nearly a year had gone by and he was watching a national TV news show in which Bob and Debbie appeared talking about Kristen's disappearance and their efforts with Kristen's Law.  On that day in the Spring of 2001, Randal saw the photos of Kristen on TV and became convinced that this was the same young woman he had befriended in Granada, Nicaragua one year earlier in May, 2000.  To this day, Randal is 100% convinced that the young woman he met was Kristen Modafferi, or "her exact double".  He is tireless in his efforts to find evidence, to prove he is right.  But what would cause a happy, vibrant, intelligent college student to abandon her family?  Kristen had everything going for her.  Could this possibly be Kristen Modafferi, or just another look alike?  Randal's story adds another layer to the mystery.  We just don't know the answer, so read on and see what you think.

http://www.findkristen.com/Nicaragua.html

yes.  Nicaragua.  thank you! =)

Two teenage girls who went missing in California 18 years ago could come back to haunt Robert Durst.

Detectives searching for Karen Mitchell and Kristen Modafferi took a look at the mysterious Manhattan real estate scion back in 2003 when he was on trial in Galveston, Tex., for murdering and dismembering his neighbor.

Now that Durst will soon be heading back to Los Angeles to face a charge of murdering old friend Susan Berman in 2000, the search for 16-year-old Mitchell is back on the front burner, said an author who has covered Durst for years.

“Karen Mitchell's family spoke with the FBI as recently as a few months ago,” said Matt Birkbeck, who wrote "A Deadly Secret: The Strange Disappearance of Kathie Durst." “They brought up Durst.”

Kathie Durst was the cross-dressing multimillionaire’s first wife, who vanished in 1982.

Humboldt County District Attorney Maggie Fleming declined to discuss Durst or the Mitchell case.

“I really can't confirm or deny that Durst is a person of interest because anything said about the investigation could potentially hinder the investigation,” she said.

Modafferi’s dad said he hasn’t heard from the feds recently about his daughter, who was 18 when she vanished while visiting San Francisco. So he is reaching out to them.

“The Durst news has created enough of a question mark in my mind that I'm going to follow up with the FBI,” Bob Modafferi said. “If he was in that area where Kirsten went missing, it raises a bunch of potential red flags and questions.”

Mitchell, who vanished on Nov. 25, 1997, volunteered at a homeless shelter in Eureka, Calif., where Durst had been spotted, Birkbeck said.

Police said that after leaving the shelter, Mitchell walked over to the Bayshore Mall and visited her aunt, Annie Casper, at her shoe store.

Then Mitchell left for her aunt’s home — and has not been seen since.

Durst lived in the nearby town of Trinidad at the time and visited Casper’s store — while dressed in drag — at least four times, Birkbeck said.

Investigators also looked at Durst in connection with Modafferi, a college student from North Carolina who went missing on June 23, 1997, Birkbeck said.

“The investigators told me that one of the suspects they were looking at had dressed in drag, he had some odd habits,” he said, referring to the Mitchell case. “After I finished the interview, I mentioned that I covered Robert Durst, who also dressed in drag. They wrote his name down and then I discovered he was living in San Francisco at the time. The police just jumped on it. They started putting pieces together.”

Bob Modafferi, 66, of Charlotte, N.C. confirmed that cops went “down that road to see if there was anything to it.”

“They did not indicate to us there’s anything there,” he said. “As time goes on, realistically the hope starts to dim, but it never dies out completely. There are cases you hear about that finally have a break. We will never lose faith or give up hope.”

Durst’s lawyers have said they know nothing about Mitchell or Modafferi and deny he had anything to do with Berman’s murder or Kathie Durst’s disappearance.

Durst was acquitted of killing neighbor Morris Black, even though he admitted chopping up his body.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.2152427

well this takes it in a completely opposite direction than mahon's suspicions about toshi onuma. thanks for the update, Olivia!

I can't post the article as I'm phone posting but human remains have been detected in the house she used to live in

http://abc7news.com/805966/

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    I can't post the article as I'm phone posting but human remains have been detected in the house she used to live in

Thursday, June 25, 2015 06:27PM
    OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Investigators arrived at a home in Oakland Thursday looking at a possible new lead in the disappearance of Kristen Modafferi whose face has been on billboards for nearly 20 years.

Modafferi rented an Oakland home in 1997 where a private investigator combed the home with his cadaver dog Thursday and found the scent of human remains.

When Oakland police arrived at the home where she once lived, Modafferi's family insisted there were human remains in the basement.

Modafferi was 18 years old from North Carolina and was attending U.C. Berkeley for the summer at the time of her disappearance.

Paul Dostie and his dog named Buster have done extensive work searching for missing Americans from World War II in Europe and in the Pacific.

Several months ago he was contacted by a former investigator helping the Modafferi family find their missing daughter. "He reached out to me many many months ago, actually last year saying, 'hey can you go to Oakland and check this house,'" Dostie said.

She was last seen leaving her job at San Francisco's Crocker Galleria. The search for the missing 18 year old went on for months, but she was never found.

On Thursday, a former detective brought renewed hope that the mystery of her disappearance may be solved after his dog picked up a sent from a drain near the home and also from vents that lead to the basement. "There's human decomposition present here 100 percent. The question is what is the source of that decomposition and so that's what we hope to get with the soil analysis," Dostie said.

Dostie took several samples from the soil inside a basement, which will eventually tell him if there could be human remains and possibly the time of death. "If we get the chemicals that are showing in that 20 year time range, that would give us a strong indication that it's Kristen," he said.

ABC7 News spoke with Modafferi's father who now lives in Florida. "We're hoping that we'll finally get some closure and be able to finally put this case to rest and know what happened to our daughter," Bob Modafferi said.

Oakland police told ABC7 News they are sending a crime scene technician to go over the area in order to go over the findings.

Police are not declaring this a crime scene yet and said they were at the home before back in 1997 when she disappeared, but didn't find anything.

Is someone living in the home now? I doubt no one lived there at all, all these years since she went missing. How to creepy to find out there had been a dead body in your home the whole time you had been living there

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

The money raised will go to pay the expenses to have the soil sample tests performed.
    We are sending the 3 soil samples' to Dr. Arpad Vass of the University of Knoxville for forensic testing
    to further determine whether the soil contains human decomp......

http://www.gofundme.com/xwm9jg

Many of you may have heard that on Thursday, June 25th, 2015, Buster the Cadaver Dog alerted to human decomposition in the basement of Kristen's Oakland, Ca residence. Further testing needs to be done so we are sending (3) soil samples to the University of Tennessee in Knoxville for the forensics to be done. The cost is about $1,700, so if you want to contribute - please link over to this GoFundMe account. we just set it up this evening.

http://www.findkristen.com/

Articles are both snipped

Can someone copy pasta the article for me??

http://abc7news.com/news/human-remai...-woman/805966/

Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    Can someone copy pasta the article for me??

http://abc7news.com/news/human-remai...-woman/805966/
    Thursday, June 25, 2015
    OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Investigators arrived at a home in Oakland Thursday looking at a possible new lead in the disappearance of Kristen Modafferi whose face has been on billboards for nearly 20 years.

Modafferi rented an Oakland home in 1997 where a private investigator combed the home with his cadaver dog Thursday and found the scent of human remains.

When Oakland police arrived at the home where she once lived, Modafferi's family insisted there were human remains in the basement.

Modafferi was 18 years old from North Carolina and was attending U.C. Berkeley for the summer at the time of her disappearance.

Paul Dostie and his dog named Buster have done extensive work searching for missing Americans from World War II in Europe and in the Pacific.

Several months ago he was contacted by a former investigator helping the Modafferi family find their missing daughter. "He reached out to me many many months ago, actually last year saying, 'hey can you go to Oakland and check this house,'" Dostie said.

She was last seen leaving her job at San Francisco's Crocker Galleria. The search for the missing 18 year old went on for months, but she was never found.

On Thursday, a former detective brought renewed hope that the mystery of her disappearance may be solved after his dog picked up a sent from a drain near the home and also from vents that lead to the basement. "There's human decomposition present here 100 percent. The question is what is the source of that decomposition and so that's what we hope to get with the soil analysis," Dostie said.

Dostie took several samples from the soil inside a basement, which will eventually tell him if there could be human remains and possibly the time of death. "If we get the chemicals that are showing in that 20 year time range, that would give us a strong indication that it's Kristen," he said.

ABC7 News spoke with Modafferi's father who now lives in Florida. "We're hoping that we'll finally get some closure and be able to finally put this case to rest and know what happened to our daughter," Bob Modafferi said.

Oakland police told ABC7 News they are sending a crime scene technician to go over the area in order to go over the findings.

Police are not declaring this a crime scene yet and said they were at the home before back in 1997 when she disappeared, but didn't find anything.

What's taking so long?

Thread Information