Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dating Guide: 40 Things You Can Learn About a Guy in 10 Minutes

Dating Guide: 40 Things You Can Learn About a Guy in 10 Minutes

This is pretty good for a laugh. Look at all the things you can learn in 10 minutes ladies!!!!!! :lol:

You don't have to date a guy for six months to get the lowdown on who he really is. With the right clues, you can size him up in 10 minutes. "A man's actions -- especially the ones you see in unguarded moments when he's not going out of his way to try to impress you (or doesn't realize you're watching) -- can speak volumes about his character and personality traits," says Rita Benasutti, PhD, a psychotherapist who specializes in couples' issues. To help you decode a guy you've just started seeing, Cosmo called on a team of experts to tell you how to assess his actions and tap into his boyfriend potential, pronto.

His Favorite Sport
    "Solo sportsmen, like runners and swimmers, 1 savor their independence and relish spending a lot of time alone," says relationship-skills coach Steve Nakamoto, author of "Men Are Like Fish: What Every Woman Needs to Know About Catching a Man." Men who are fans of mainstream team sports, like football, basketball, and baseball, 2 tend to be competitive -- on the field and in all aspects of their life -- and they like to hang with their entourage. As for the guy who's just not into sports at all, 3 "he's an independent thinker, usually on the sensitive side."

How Long He's Been Hanging With His Friends
    A guy who has been friends with the same posse since he was 10 years old can certainly claim 4 loyalty as one of his strong suits. But "you better like what you see, because he's probably not great with change," says dating coach Liz H. Kelly, author of "Smart Man Hunting." "And be patient, because it will take a while for you to win his trust." If your date has buddies from all areas of his life -- i.e., college, the gym, work -- don't be afraid to drag him to your cousin's wedding. 5 "He has no problem schmoozing strangers and adapts to new situations easily."

Credit vs. Cash
    A guy who likes to flash his plastic 6 craves status. "He may be ambitious and confident. He'll reach his financial goals," says Rob Ronin, PsyD, a licensed clinical psychologist and registered financial consultant. "If he always pays in cash, 7 he's self-sufficient and independent," which might make him a difficult dude to corner. And if his wallet is dry? 8 Here's a guy who's dependent on others to take care of him.

His Bad Habits
    Gambling men 9 are risk-takers, which can make them a lot of fun. "But their over-the-top optimism that they'll come out ahead makes it difficult for them to face reality," says Mitchell Parks, MD, assistant professor of psychiatry at Vanderbilt University, in Nashville. "Hard-core smokers 10 tend to be anxious," says Dr. Parks, so it can be hard to pin them down for couple-time. And if he's a boozer, 11 he could be hiding his insecurity behind his buzz.

His Communication Style
    When your date opts to email you -- rather than call -- 12 he could be a hard nut to crack. "The fact that he chooses a communication method that allows him to edit what he says signals that he might not want to show his true self," says Jeff Bryson, PhD, professor of psychology at San Diego State University. An IM addict 13 craves your nonstop attention and needs that instant assurance that you're there for him. And the phone fan? 14 He might be a little old-fashioned and likes to do things by the book. But, according to Bryson, "he's not afraid of intimacy."

The Clothes You Wear That He Prefers
    If your fave T-shirt and jeans or a cute little sundress do more for him than your slinky black number, 15 you're dating an earthy, laid-back guy who likes equally laid-back, low-maintenance chicks. A man who's wowed by a woman who likes to get dolled up in high-end designer duds 16 places a high priority on prestige. "He'll probably make a lot of money, but it also might play too important a role in his life," says Los Angeles clinical psychologist Nancy Irwin, PsyD. And a guy who wants a Carmen Electra-sensual girl on his arm 17 is looking for an ego boost. "He places a lot of value on being admired and envied."

How He Deals With Traffic
    If he constantly weaves in and out of cars, tailgates slowpokes, and glares at other drivers, 18 "it's pretty clear that he has a problem with aggression," says Leon James, PhD, professor of psychology at the University of Hawaii and author of "Road Rage and Aggressive Driving." While a forceful personality might take him far in the workplace, it could be difficult to deal with this argumentative guy in a relationship. If he's able to exude Zen-like calm when stuck in gridlock, 19 "he's likely to have more self-control."

What He Orders in a Restaurant
    A meat-and-potatoes-type guy 20 is usually steady and dependable, says image coach Dianne Daniels, author of "Polish and Presence: 31 Days to a New Image." "But he's also a little unadventurous." If your date goes for exotic dishes, 21 "you're with someone who makes spontaneity a priority and could easily get bored with the status quo."

Neat Freak or Messy Man
    A guy who puts his dirty socks in the hamper is one thing; a guy who color-codes them in his drawer is something else. 22 "This man is way too fastidious to have fun," explains Daniels, "and he'll expect you to be just as neat." A mildly messy man 23 is looser and more open-minded. But if the inside of his shower has never seen a scrub brush, 24 he may be immature or just plain lazy.

Favorite TV Shows
    Take note if he parks himself in front of one sitcom after another. 25 "Here's a guy who uses humor to defuse stress," says TV producer Hedda Muskat, author of "Dating Confidential: A Single's Guide to a Fun, Flirtatious and Possibly Meaningful Social Life." This can be a good thing, because he won't hold a grudge against you or lose his cool. But it also might be hard to get into a serious conversation with him, which can be frustrating. "The more you try to discuss something important, the more evasive he will become," says Muskat. A couch sleuth who's fascinated by CSI-type shows, on the other hand, 26 is analytical and thoughtful. "He prides himself on his problem-solving abilities and will be there for you when you need support," says Muskat.

His Birth Order
    "The oldest child 27 is usually a responsible, take-charge kind of guy," says Nancy Fagan, author of "Desirable Men." If your babe is the baby of his brood, 28 "he's likely to be creative and a little rebellious." As for a middle man: 29 "He's a sensitive soul who needs loads of attention."

How He Approaches PDAs
    When you're out in public and he's all over you like a rash, 30 "he's either trying to show you off or marking his territory, both of which are signs of insecurity," says Nakamoto. A guy who's allergic to body contact in public is 31 unsure about his feelings for you or your feelings for him. "PDAs are statements of togetherness," says Nakamoto. "If he has doubts, he'll keep his distance physically."

Whether He Always Drives or Wants You To
    "A guy who doesn't automatically assume driving rights 32 is likely to let you steer the relationship at least some of the time," says Kelly. A man who hogs the wheel -- even in your car -- 33 is sweetly old-fashioned at best and, at worst, could be a control freak.

The Guy's Grooming MO
    A guy who checks out his reflection in every store window you pass is obviously vain. But, interestingly, 34 it's also a sign of a dude who's intent on succeeding. "Presentation is everything to this kind of man," says Sheenah Hankin, PhD, author of "Complete Confidence." "He sees it as a measure of his self-respect and success." 35 The low-key, less conceited guy might be less ambitious, "but he's easier to connect with emotionally because he's not as superficial," says Hankin. "What counts on the inside matters more to him."

If He Looks You in the Eye
    "A man who doesn't make eye contact during conversation 36 may not be trustworthy," says speech coach Diane DiResta, author of "Knockout Presentations." "Meanwhile, if his eyes bore into yours as he's talking, 37 he might be trying to intimidate you." But a smoldering gaze -- you know what that looks like -- 38 means he's immensely fond of you.

His Speaking Style
    If your man moves his mouth a mile a minute, 39 you're with a spontaneous, high-energy guy who may be a little too self-absorbed. "Fast talkers get so wrapped up in making a good impression that they don't pay attention to their audience," says DiResta. Slow talkers 40 typically play it safe. "The way they deliberate every word before it comes out of their mouth is indicative of how they approach life: They look before they leap." So although you shouldn't expect a lot of surprises, at least you'll know he means what he says.

Things You'll Only Learn With Time
    Your speedy profiling skills won't reveal these tidbits from psychotherapist Katherine Woodward Thomas, author of "Calling in 'The One'."
    How loyal he'll be: Wait and see if you're shown the same allegiance as his buds are.
    If he's a man of his word: Will he really keep those promises he made to you early on?
    His little quirks: Time reveals the small details that really make a person tick.
    If his parents' split haunts him: His broken home may have issued him some big-time emotional baggage.

http://dating.personals.yahoo.com/singles/datingtips/87513/dating-guide-40-things-you-can-learn-about-a-guy-in-10-minutes
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

Re: Dating Guide: 40 Things You Can Learn About a Guy in 10 Minutes

OMG I just read this on yahoo!! :lol:
    Quote Originally Posted by marakisses
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

[quote author=brie star link=topic=18374.msg1166384#msg1166384 date=1233112265]
    OMG I just read this on yahoo!! :lol:
    [/quote]

Yeah it popped up for me on the main page. Things like this always make me laugh.  :lol:
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

Damn dude, your subscription to Redbook just knocked you down a few pegs.

[quote author=Chompin link=topic=18374.msg1166391#msg1166391 date=1233112506]
    Damn dude, your subscription to Redbook just knocked you down a few pegs.
    [/quote]

Chompin, if you ever had a girl, or lived with one, then you would know that you read these types of things frequently. You have to. Especially when you're taking a shit.

[quote author=Chauncy link=topic=18374.msg1166397#msg1166397 date=1233112640]

Chompin, if you ever had a girl, or lived with one, then you would know that you read these types of things frequently. You have to. Especially when you're taking a shit.
    [/quote]

That is the best time to read.  Personally, as of late, I play a card game on my cell phone. 

The problem is I have yet to date a girl that is the type of woman who would read and live by what is in Redbook.  I may be lucky, I may be deprived...

According this this, I am a catch.

But I have to drive...

wow I thought this was gonna be an interesting read. ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZ

1.Why do I like to read dating stragities even though I'm not dating?
    That makes me a 13 A woman who's in a relationship wondering if these dating
    techniques can somehow be useful in relationship. Or maybe a 15 plain nosey.

[quote author=Olivia link=topic=7606.msg1221694#msg1221694 date=1237710360]<br /> She is in the death queue.<br />[/quote]<br />You got me all wrong.

[quote author=Chauncy link=topic=18374.msg1166397#msg1166397 date=1233112640]

[/quote]

This makes you a 12 the kinda of man that likes to find out what girls are being told about men so he can then do the opposite of what he is to make woman keep thinking they know him, only to find out she was lied to by the internet.
    [quote author=Olivia link=topic=7606.msg1221694#msg1221694 date=1237710360]<br /> She is in the death queue.<br />[/quote]<br />You got me all wrong.

The only reason I hate these lists is because some women will take it to heart.&nbsp; So if a guy does this, that must mean this.&nbsp;

I once dated a girl that read Cosmo waaaay to much.&nbsp; She'd use it often in our relationship.

&quot;How He Approaches PDAs
    When you're out in public and he's all over you like a rash, 30 &quot;he's either trying to show you off or marking his territory, both of which are signs of insecurity,&quot; says Nakamoto. A guy who's allergic to body contact in public is 31 unsure about his feelings for you or your feelings for him. &quot;PDAs are statements of togetherness,&quot; says Nakamoto. &quot;If he has doubts, he'll keep his distance physically.&quot;

sigh I want more pda&nbsp; :lol: this is silly, cos I remember when we FIRST start going out he couldn't keep his hands off of me, I dont think it was cos he was insecure I think it was cos he finally got his hands on me.&nbsp; :lol:

[quote author=Cap-n Meow link=topic=18374.msg1167179#msg1167179 date=1233172346]
    The only reason I hate these lists is because some women will take it to heart.&nbsp; So if a guy does this, that must mean this.&nbsp;

I once dated a girl that read Cosmo waaaay to much.&nbsp; She'd use it often in our relationship.
    [/quote]

In my experience, most women take shit like this to heart. &nbsp;A lot of guys do, too. &nbsp;All of it is bullshit meant to sell magazines and it's ruining dating for everyone! &nbsp;:lol:
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

[quote author=Nomad link=topic=18374.msg1167187#msg1167187 date=1233172554]
    In my experience, most women take shit like this to heart. &nbsp;A lot of guys do, too. &nbsp;All of it is bullshit meant to sell magazines and it's ruining dating for everyone! &nbsp;:lol:
    [/quote]

clearly you guys are doing it wrong.

[quote author=vaga link=topic=18374.msg1167188#msg1167188 date=1233172593]
    clearly you guys are doing it wrong.
    [/quote]I'm pretty sure Rob is single so yep, we are.

[quote author=Cap-n Meow link=topic=18374.msg1167191#msg1167191 date=1233172695]
    I'm pretty sure Rob is single so yep, we are.
    [/quote]

you should ask an expert.
    gawd I hate lists like these

YOU DONT' KNOW ME!! oh wait this is about men.. not woman.

[quote author=Cap-n Meow link=topic=18374.msg1167191#msg1167191 date=1233172695]
    I'm pretty sure Rob is single so yep, we are.
    [/quote]

Yep, single.&nbsp; Mostly by choice.&nbsp; But I have to say that so I don't sound like a loser.&nbsp; :lol:

Oh, and - this one cracks me up:

His Communication Style
    When your date opts to email you -- rather than call -- 12 he could be a hard nut to crack. &quot;The fact that he chooses a communication method that allows him to edit what he says signals that he might not want to show his true self,&quot; says Jeff Bryson, PhD, professor of psychology at San Diego State University. An IM addict 13 craves your nonstop attention and needs that instant assurance that you're there for him. And the phone fan? 14 He might be a little old-fashioned and likes to do things by the book. But, according to Bryson, &quot;he's not afraid of intimacy.&quot;

What if I just get bad cell reception in my apartment, and AIM works?&nbsp; What if I'm at work a lot and e-mail is the most convenient way of getting in touch with you?&nbsp; Just because I like to e-mail doesn't mean I'm a &quot;tough nut to crack.&quot;&nbsp; Where do they come up with this shit?&nbsp; Why not try dating the guy and actually getting to know him and not analyze him based on lists provided by Cosmopolitan.&nbsp; Jesus.

[quote author=Nomad link=topic=18374.msg1167204#msg1167204 date=1233173285]
    Yep, single.&nbsp; Mostly by choice.&nbsp; But I have to say that so I don't sound like a loser.&nbsp; :lol:

His Communication Style
    When your date opts to email you -- rather than call -- 12 he could be a hard nut to crack. &quot;The fact that he chooses a communication method that allows him to edit what he says signals that he might not want to show his true self,&quot; says Jeff Bryson, PhD, professor of psychology at San Diego State University. An IM addict 13 craves your nonstop attention and needs that instant assurance that you're there for him. And the phone fan? 14 He might be a little old-fashioned and likes to do things by the book. But, according to Bryson, &quot;he's not afraid of intimacy.&quot;

What if I just get bad cell reception in my apartment, and AIM works?&nbsp; What if I'm at work a lot and e-mail is the most convenient way of getting in touch with you?&nbsp; Just because I like to e-mail doesn't mean I'm a &quot;tough nut to crack.&quot;&nbsp; Where do they come up with this shit?&nbsp; Why not try dating the guy and actually getting to know him and not analyze him based on lists provided by Cosmopolitan.&nbsp; Jesus.
    [/quote]

Same here on being single by choice.&nbsp; More like lack of interest in the women that show interest.

[quote author=Nomad link=topic=18374.msg1167204#msg1167204 date=1233173285]

His Communication Style

[/quote]

:lol: she only has 10 mins?

[quote author=Cap-n Meow link=topic=18374.msg1167179#msg1167179 date=1233172346]

[/quote]

Only time cosmo is really good in a relationship when it's an article on sex positions or something.&nbsp;

[quote author=Nomad link=topic=18374.msg1167187#msg1167187 date=1233172554]
    [/quote]

I don't know anyone that reads this crap, not even me.
    Are you hanging out with 16 year olds?

oh and the texting and messages on myspace are just the new trend and it kinda sucks.
    It's easier to do, hell I have done it... I guess in case you get rejected, it is just over a computer and on the phone or in person is a little harder to stomach.
    I would think it would be kinda rad if a guy asked me out on a date over the phone. :lol: damn this new technology bullshit!
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

[quote author=brie star link=topic=18374.msg1167394#msg1167394 date=1233181574]

oh and the texting and messages on myspace are just the new trend and it kinda sucks.
    It's easier to do, hell I have done it... I guess in case you get rejected, it is just over a computer and on the phone or in person is a little harder to stomach.
    I would think it would be kinda rad if a guy asked me out on a date over the phone. :lol: damn this new technology bullshit!

[/quote]

Nah, I usually date women in their late-20's, early 30's who have the mentality of 16 year olds.&nbsp;

[quote author=Nomad link=topic=18374.msg1167398#msg1167398 date=1233181790]
    Nah, I usually date women in their late-20's, early 30's who have the mentality of 16 year olds.&nbsp;
    [/quote]

that's me! :lol:

[quote author=brie star link=topic=18374.msg1167394#msg1167394 date=1233181574]

[/quote]

omg I totally do that with my husband STILL (use aim, email instead of the phone) Sometimes tones of voices ruin everything. I used to get upset cos his voice was dick style , but really it was cos he was at work and busy.

we TOTALLY started going out cos of aim. It was the only time he would &quot;talk&quot; to me. In person he'd be like &quot;um.... ummmmmm&quot;
    I thought he totally hated me! but it was just he was shy. lol.

so maybe it does mean they're a hard nut to crack......&nbsp; :lol:

Can this thread be about those ridiculous dating tips? :lol:

No wonder I'm single! :lol:
    Turnoff #1: The Lowdown on Celeb Dirt
    &quot;Whenever my girlfriend gets control of the remote, she switches to a gossip channel and goes on about how lucky Cameron Diaz is or how Drew Barrymore lost 10 pounds. Geez, get a freaking life!&quot; -- Paul, 27
    &quot;My ex-girlfriend was obsessed with Brad Pitt. She knew more about his life than Angelina Jolie does. Whenever he had a movie coming out, I never heard the end of it. I felt like I was dating a stalker, not to mention the fact that it didn't do wonders for my ego. Brad isn't exactly the worst-looking guy in the world.&quot; -- Donald, 26
    &quot;I met this really gorgeous British woman at a bookstore, so I invited her to have coffee with me. When I got back to the table with our drinks, she was sitting there with a pile of foreign gossip rags in front of her. Before I knew what hit me, she was talking my ear off about Prince Charles and a bunch of other royals I didn't know and couldn't care less about. I was absolutely bored out of my mind. Well, so much for the theory that smart women hang out in bookstores.&quot; -- Andrew, 25

Turnoff #2: Your Ex Files
    &quot;I took my old girlfriend to a cute bed-and-breakfast for the weekend, and all she could talk about was how her previous boyfriend had taken her to Paris for a long weekend. Whatever happened to thank you? No wonder we both dumped her.&quot; -- Ben, 28
    &quot;My girlfriend and I were having brunch one Sunday when we ran into her ex-boyfriend. After he left, she started telling me all about some cross-country trip they took when they were in college. I know there's nothing going on between them, but that doesn't mean I want to hear about the good old days. She should save the reminiscing for her girlfriends.&quot; -- Lewis, 27
    &quot;My girl asked me to help her put together some do-it-yourself furniture that she'd bought, and I was a total disaster. That's when she went on and on about how good her ex was with tools. The story I enjoyed most was about how he built her a special magazine rack...which, of course, she still has. Now every time I see that thing, I want to break it. I admitted I am no good at this kind of fix-it stuff, so I don't know why she felt the need to rub it in by telling me her ex was the second coming of Bob Vila.&quot; -- Ray, 30
    Turnoff #3: Your Bad Body Image and Food Issues
    &quot;First it was the grapefruit diet. Then it was Jenny Craig. Now it's the Fatkins thing. My girlfriend tries a new diet about once a month, and she explains how she's convinced that this is the one that's going to help her lose weight. I always remind her that the reason I asked her out in the first place is because I think she's beautiful. I wouldn't be attracted to her if she looked like a string bean.&quot; -- Derek, 29
    &quot;I can never do anything spontaneous with my girl because she won't leave the house unless she looks perfect. It takes longer for her to get ready for dinner than it does for us to actually go out and eat it. First she asks if I like her outfit. Next she asks how her makeup looks. Then she drops the fun-crusher on me: 'Do I look fat?' I get so aggravated. Don't ask for my opinion if you don't want it. By the time she's ready to leave, the evening is already ruined because I'm in such a pissed-off mood.&quot; -- Andy, 33

Turnoff #4: Other People's Relationships
    &quot;My old girlfriend would gush about how romantic it was that her roommate's boyfriend got down on one knee when he proposed to her. Then she'd tell me every freakin' detail about the wedding plans, from the dress to the cake to the invitations. I didn't really know these people, and I hate hearing about mushy stuff anyway, especially if it has nothing to do with me. I just tuned it all out.&quot; -- Steve, 36
    &quot;My girlfriend never stops talking about how great her sister's life is. I'm so tired of hearing about her perfect brother-in-law and her two adorable nephews. It's so obvious that she's using the conversation as a steppingstone to talk about when we're going to get married.&quot; -- Rob, 36
    &quot;My girlfriend loves telling me about how her best friend treats her boyfriend like a pile of garbage, flirting with other guys when he isn't around and spending hours on her laptop to email her exes. I don't want to know the nitty-gritty, because then I feel awkward when I'm around him. Besides, it makes me wonder if my girl is bad-mouthing me behind my back.&quot; -- Will, 25

I'm glad I'm married.

Thread Information