Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: US woman gives birth to octuplets all are doing very well'

the color nine

US woman gives birth to octuplets all are doing very well'

All eight babies born in what is believed to be only the second case of octuplets surviving more than a few hours are stable and continue to do well, doctors have said.

The six boys and two girls were delivered on Monday at the Kaiser Permanente Bellflower Medical Centre in Los Angeles.

Initially two of the newborns were put on ventilators. But one of the doctors involved confirmed that they were now all breathing on their own.

Dr Mandhir Gupta said the eight babies "are doing actually very, very well". He added: "Only three babies need some sort of oxygen through the nose right now but they are breathing on their own."

The octuplets were born nine weeks premature to a mother who has not been named. They weighed between 1lb 8oz and 3lb 4oz and were delivered by Caesarean section within five minutes.

Doctors and the babies' parents had been expecting seven babies, with the eighth coming as a surprise. All of the babies - dubbed with the letters A to H - are expected to remain in hospital for at least two months.

The babies' mother checked into the hospital during her 23rd week of pregnancy, giving birth seven weeks later. Hospital officials have not said if she was on fertility drugs.

Records show that the world's first live octuplets were born in March 1967 in Mexico City, but all died within 14 hours of the birth. In 1998, octuplets were born to a mother in Houston, Texas. The smallest died a week after the birth. But the seven other siblings survived and turned age 10 in December.

Their Nigerian-born parents, Nkem Chukwu and Iyke Louis Udobi, gave their best wishes to the parents involved in the latest multiple birth.

"It's a blessing, truly a blessing. We'll keep praying for them," said Nkem Chukwu.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5hI5JeLaKf9jc4jmTISHDp1mpTcPw

Re: US woman gives birth to octuplets all are doing very well'

Is this the same Kaiser as the guy who killed himself, wife and kids?

I feel so bad for people and the babies when they have the nicu kind of births. It must be torture for the mom to not be able to hold her babies all day long.

I really hope they all survive and thrive.

[quote author=aprilcarter29 link=topic=18370.msg1166482#msg1166482 date=1233116927]
    Is this the same Kaiser as the guy who killed himself, wife and kids?

I feel so bad for people and the babies when they have the nicu kind of births. It must be torture for the mom to not be able to hold her babies all day long.

I really hope they all survive and thrive.
    [/quote]

That is the hospital I think...yes...

god bless em.
    but thats like having a litter. ew.

[quote author=ZoMyGoddess! link=topic=18370.msg1166509#msg1166509 date=1233118784]
    god bless em.
    [/quote]

two litters

[quote author=ZoMyGoddess! link=topic=18370.msg1166509#msg1166509 date=1233118784]
    [/quote]

word.  i find it disgusting myself. 

Congrats to the parents, its a lot of work... man, I couldn't even imagine having twins and she was expecting 7? Man, so I guess after 7 one more isn't that much of a big deal. I wonder what the parents look like... I hope they are ready, but I guess it doesn't matter a bunch of companies are gonna be sponsoring the kids .

I thought it said "Octopus" ... :oops:
    I don't sell crack, I'm a prostitute.

the color nine

[quote author=Playmate_dvl link=topic=18370.msg1167399#msg1167399 date=1233181877]
    Congrats to the parents, its a lot of work... man, I couldn't even imagine having twins and she was expecting 7? Man, so I guess after 7 one more isn't that much of a big deal. I wonder what the parents look like... I hope they are ready, but I guess it doesn't matter a bunch of companies are gonna be sponsoring the kids .
    [/quote]

I thought that as well but so far they don't want their names out there.  I wonder if that will change with the rising costs.

potential sponsors

http://www.super8.com/Super8/control/home

http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/liveaction/eightbelow/

http://www.octagon.com/about-octagon/about-us

http://www.octopusmagazine.com/
    I don't sell crack, I'm a prostitute.

the color nine

[quote author=okac link=topic=18370.msg1167477#msg1167477 date=1233185143]
    potential sponsors

http://www.super8.com/Super8/control/home

http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/liveaction/eightbelow/

http://www.octagon.com/about-octagon/about-us

http://www.octopusmagazine.com/
    [/quote]

:lol:

She must have been on some kind of fertility drugs, right? I know they don't want to comment on it but wow, thinking about getting pregnant with eight naturally kinda puts me of sexin'  :lol:

Great, another annoying fucking clan for The Discovery Channel.

[quote author=HyperU2 link=topic=18370.msg1168091#msg1168091 date=1233214161]
    Great, another annoying fucking clan for The Discovery Channel.
    [/quote]

i think you mean The Learning Channel
    thats where the Duggars are, Jon and Kate plus 8 and twin twin and multiples or whatever.

the only thing that i am learning is "use a condom"

Ah well, when I googled Jon and Kate I saw the discovery.    Yeah, I don't watch much TV.

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/jon-and-kate/gosselins.html

the color nine

I just heard on the news that she has six children at home, lives in a two bedroom house.  Fourteen kids....two bedroom house.

[quote author=the color nine link=topic=18370.msg1168339#msg1168339 date=1233242746]
    I just heard on the news that she has six children at home, lives in a two bedroom house.  Fourteen kids....two bedroom house.
    [/quote]

WTF people?   

this seriously makes me ill.

[quote author=the color nine link=topic=18370.msg1168339#msg1168339 date=1233242746]
    [/quote]

oh great, I see an extreme home makeover in their very near future. 
    fucking stupid people.  :x

Most awesome Member emmy_dreamy's Avatar

My 11 year old asked me last night why we do not hear stories of large multiple births from other countries.  I explained that most countries do not offer fertility drugs as cheap as we do. I just can't believe that there isn't a way to prevent 8 eggs from being fertilized to begin with.  While I hope that these babies live, I just question the quality of life for them.  There are sooo many issues that come along with multiple births.

http://mydeathspace.com/vb/signaturepics/sigpic8247_1.gif

the color nine

It still hasn't come out whether or not she took fertility drugs.  They do say that it is damn near impossible to have eight children at a time without them.  So, wouldn't a doctor, a good doctor refuse this procedure knowing the situation or would it be non of their business.  Would you want some sort of guidelines for such things or is that too intrusive?

[quote author=the color nine link=topic=18370.msg1168353#msg1168353 date=1233244081]
    It still hasn't come out whether or not she took fertility drugs.  They do say that it is damn near impossible to have eight children at a time without them.  So, wouldn't a doctor, a good doctor refuse this procedure knowing the situation or would it be non of their business.  Would you want some sort of guidelines for such things or is that too intrusive?
    [/quote]

Generally, the way people end up with this many fetus's is in the process.  They are given drugs that stimulate a follicle to produce a shit ton of eggs.  Then the retrieve the eggs and fertilize.  It's at this step that there is a choice.  How many embryo's do we implant?  I would think it would be common sense to not implant 8 in hopes that one would survive.  There is too much risks that all 8 will.  How bout we just implant 3 and if it doesn't take, we have more we can use at a later date. 

the color nine

I guess what I was trying to ask was do you think it was responsible for a doctor to do this procedure on a woman with 6 children living in a two bedroom house?  Or should it be non of their business?

[quote author=the color nine link=topic=18370.msg1168365#msg1168365 date=1233244983]
    I guess what I was trying to ask was do you think it was responsible for a doctor to do this procedure on a woman with 6 children living in a two bedroom house?  Or should it be non of their business?
    [/quote]

I don't think they see it as any of their business.  If the couple can pay for the service, they pretty much cannot turn them down for anything other than medical reasons.  They can certainly council them against it but in the end, unless there is a legal reason not to, they do it.  (I think this is how it works.)

the color nine

[quote author=emmy_dreamy link=topic=18370.msg1168368#msg1168368 date=1233245126]
    I don't think they see it as any of their business.  If the couple can pay for the service, they pretty much cannot turn them down for anything other than medical reasons.  They can certainly council them against it but in the end, unless there is a legal reason not to, they do it.  (I think this is how it works.)
    [/quote]

Oh I'm sure they don't care as long as they get paid.  :lol:  What do you think?  Should there be stricter guidelines as to protect the children?  I mean that has to be unaffordable to these people.  Fourteen children in a two bedroom house?  Unless of course they have the monies of Brad and Angelina and just choose to live in a two bedroom house.

[quote author=the color nine link=topic=18370.msg1168371#msg1168371 date=1233245444]

Oh I'm sure they don't care as long as they get paid.  :lol:  What do you think?  Should there be stricter guidelines as to protect the children?  I mean that has to be unaffordable to these people.  Fourteen children in a two bedroom house?  Unless of course they have the monies of Brad and Angelina and just choose to live in a two bedroom house.
    [/quote]

I don't think anyone has to right to restrict how many children you can have.  I do however, believe that CFS is there for a reason.  If they have 16 people living in a two bedroom house and that house is found to be unsafe or unsanitary, I don't think the children will remain with them.

Thread Information