Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So what's in it for you?

So what's in it for you?

I know we have a thread about how you found MDS, but riddle me this -- Why do you stay?

Lay it out for me.  What keeps you coming back?  So few people actively contribute to the death threads (self included).
    I'm just wonder what MDS does for you that keeps you here.

Of course, the deaths brought me here.  I was fascinated from the LiveJournal days.  For me, though, I've stayed because I've met some extremely interesting people.  I've had an outlet to discuss contemporary affairs, social issues, politics, and pop culture with people of very divergent opinions.  I genuinely grew to care about specific people and their lives.

Share with me....

Re: So what's in it for you?

I came for the deaths, and I stay because I've met some pretty facinating people. in real life and on the boards. It's also interesting to read some of the opinions here.
    I didn't plan to become as involved as I have here, but I'm glad I did. it's a pretty cool place. I knew I was hooked on this place when Brad Renfro died, and I came running here to read the death thread about him. Heath Ledger too.

It's crazy how much this place can suck you in.

The death threads were certainly what brought me here.
    I think for the most part, this forum has a lot of intelligent people. I still check the new articles every day, but I feel like no one really discusses them these days.

I wish more people did discuss the articles, because I love to read what everyone else thinks.
    Maybe it's because there are so many deaths that seem like repeats.

I stay because once in a while, we get something different in the articles. I also stay because of the updates to older threads, like when a friend or family member finds the site.

The Damm thread is still my favorite, but I don't ever see an update happening on that one.

I wonder what it was about the fact that the deaths drew us in, but something else kept us here.  I mean, some of the members have very little interest in the macabre, yet they found the site.  I guess what is intriguing me the most is how a 50 something year old, married mom, and a 16 year old emo kid get brought to the same place, and stay.

I just got to thinking how we're a group of really, really different people.  And that fascinates me.  :oops:

Well i got a bulletin on myspace about what a horrible site this was - this was waaaaaaaaaay back during the old format days.  I would browse the articles and visit the myspaces - then i found the forum and lurked there.  There was probably about 20-30 regulars and they were hysterical.  Then the site shut down to switch to the new format and i literally missed lurking.

I stay because this is the only place that has so many people that talk about SO many things and for the most part everyone has a healthy sense of humor without being racist fucks like on other sites.

I agree with you peavey. I can talk about all types of peen on one thread, a tv show on another and have a intelligent conversation about politics on another.
    Today I only did two out of those three heheheheh.

For the most part I you guys.

ETA: plus I have to see Sam and Millie - they brighten my days with their smiles!  MDS members sure know how to make some beautiful offspring.  I should include Cash in this too! He's the newest cutie!

The bewbs  :oops: short thought

I'm on other forums, I like this one the best though.
    The drama that occasionally gets stirred in here can be very entertaining.
    I kinda get a sense of what everyone's personality is like. I like everyone.
    It's also nice to talk to people from all over the world.

I like it here because total jackasses are not tolerated.  We can all be a bit of a jackass at times, and that's fine, but I would not care to be a member of a board that tolerated abject hatred.  Nor would I want to be somewhere with a nanny patrol.  This place is the perfect middle ground, IMO.

[quote author=ZoMyGoddess! link=topic=18209.msg1155329#msg1155329 date=1232303704]
    Well i got a bulletin on myspace about what a horrible site this was - this was waaaaaaaaaay back during the old format days.  I would browse the articles and visit the myspaces - then i found the forum and lurked there.  There was probably about 20-30 regulars and they were hysterical.  Then the site shut down to switch to the new format and i literally missed lurking.

I stay because this is the only place that has so many people that talk about SO many things and for the most part everyone has a healthy sense of humor without being racist fucks like on other sites.

I agree with you peavey. I can talk about all types of peen on one thread, a tv show on another and have a intelligent conversation about politics on another.
    Today I only did two out of those three heheheheh.

For the most part I you guys.

ETA: plus I have to see Sam and Millie - they brighten my days with their smiles!  MDS members sure know how to make some beautiful offspring.  I should include Cash in this too! He's the newest cutie!
    [/quote]

I got that same bulletin Zomy! Only made it more interesting.  I'm like offensive, sweet, I'm SO there!

Now I stay cos like Gotha says, there are some intelligent people here that have somehow wormed their way into my cold cold heart.

I came for the deaths and stayed for Boss.  :lol:  ( <3 U RON )
    Its the people.  :2wave:
    And the newds.  :lol:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

[quote author=ZoMyGoddess! link=topic=18209.msg1155329#msg1155329 date=1232303704]

[/quote]

I stay because I learn something new every day. And probably because it's feeding some need to belong that I don't have in real life. And because I love you knot heads.

[quote author=Hellbettie link=topic=18209.msg1155351#msg1155351 date=1232305744]
    I got that same bulletin Zomy! Only made it more interesting.  I'm like offensive, sweet, I'm SO there!

Now I stay cos like Gotha says, there are some intelligent people here that have somehow wormed their way into my cold cold heart.
    [/quote]

my fat ass is sitting on top of your cold cold heart keeping it warm. I'm just looking out for you like that. bitch. 

but no really.

i lurked the death threads when i lived in a hotel and had free wi-fi. w00t.
    i think it was just one of those "well i'm up at 3am, what do I google?" things. 
    now i guess you guise are stuck with me or something.
    til i die.

[quote author=wheresthebeef link=topic=18209.msg1155357#msg1155357 date=1232306170]

[/quote]

haha. poor kid.

ashton is awesome. if i had to smoke weed with one of the MDS babies, it'd totally be him.

of course sammy has my ears.

I dont even remember where I heard of MDS, I know that when I originally heard the name I thought it was like myspace for goths lol

I stayed for a while and enjoyed a lot of people, then there was some drama and nitpicking that made it annoying to come to, so I would come back and check every so often to see if anything interesting was going on... then I hadnt been back for a while and figured I'd start posting again...

What keeps me here now? Theres so many different aspect to MDS, I dont like getting involved in the drama so if thats annoying I can either read it, or I can get into the crazy deaths...

I dont usually post on the death threads but I often read them.
    I don't sell crack, I'm a prostitute.

[quote author=wheresthebeef link=topic=18209.msg1155357#msg1155357 date=1232306170]

[/quote]

i love ur babies too - i just dont remember their names, theres like 6 or 7 of them right  :angel3: :kiss3:

[quote author=ZoMyGoddess! link=topic=18209.msg1155366#msg1155366 date=1232306835]
    i love ur babies too - i just dont remember their names, theres like 6 or 7 of them right  :angel3: :kiss3:
    [/quote] :x

6 or 7. :lol: Not yet.

[quote author=Peavey link=topic=18209.msg1155238#msg1155238 date=1232299559]
    I know we have a thread about how you found MDS, but riddle me this -- Why do you stay?

Lay it out for me.  What keeps you coming back?  So few people actively contribute to the death threads (self included).
    I'm just wonder what MDS does for you that keeps you here.

Of course, the deaths brought me here.  I was fascinated from the LiveJournal days.  For me, though, I've stayed because I've met some extremely interesting people.  I've had an outlet to discuss contemporary affairs, social issues, politics, and pop culture with people of very divergent opinions.  I genuinely grew to care about specific people and their lives.

Share with me....
    [/quote]

I stay because I enjoy our bi-monthly cat fights...

Okay really...Um, I have never really been on a message board full time other than one that was dedicated to horse racing, back in the days where the sport was an important aspect of my life.  That board might have had 100 people total on it.

I found this one after that one became more stale than bread sitting out for a month.  As you said, lot of interesting folks and differing opinions on lots of things.  It gives one a chance to broaden their horizons.  I get to converse with people from different backgrounds and lifestyles, people that live in places I an only imagine, who have gone through things I have not and probably never will.    And that is just talking about backgrounds, and not everyone's personal quirks that make them unique.

It is educational in that way, from a sociological perspective.  If the board was only about the deaths, which I admittedly have very little interest in now- though I was captivated when I first found the site- I would not be here.  It is like a big party, with so many other topics to discuss.  If you get sick of talking about x, y is right there, or even z.  Other than my tight group of friends, and the people I am meeting in my pool league, I don't have much interest in socializing in public, so this is a way to do that, but on a somewhat impersonal level (that being said, I act no differently and am not afraid to say to someone's face, that which I would say to them here).

I guess that is the gist of it...nice topic Peavey...

[quote author=Chompin link=topic=18209.msg1155371#msg1155371 date=1232307038]
    I stay because I enjoy our bi-monthly cat fights...

Okay really...Um, I have never really been on a message board full time other than one that was dedicated to horse racing, back in the days where the sport was an important aspect of my life.  That board might have had 100 people total on it.

I found this one after that one became more stale than bread sitting out for a month.  As you said, lot of interesting folks and differing opinions on lots of things.  It gives one a chance to broaden their horizons.  I get to converse with people from different backgrounds and lifestyles, people that live in places I an only imagine, who have gone through things I have not and probably never will.    And that is just talking about backgrounds, and not everyone's personal quirks that make them unique.

It is educational in that way, from a sociological perspective.   If the board was only about the deaths, which I admittedly have very little interest in now- though I was captivated when I first found the site- I would not be here.  It is like a big party, with so many other topics to discuss.  If you get sick of talking about x, y is right there, or even z.  Other than my tight group of friends, and the people I am meeting in my pool league, I don't have much interest in socializing in public, so this is a way to do that, but on a somewhat impersonal level (that being said, I act no differently and am not afraid to say to someone's face, that which I would say to them here).

I guess that is the gist of it...nice topic Peavey...
    [/quote]
    is that squirrell fapping?

I had a friend tell me about this site because I was talking about my fascination with all of the MySpace suicides. He was like, "Oh. Well you must love MyDeathSpace then, eh?" I was like...WHA? So I went home and immediately visited, read a shit ton of the articles, then found the forum and joined.
    I've stayed because there are new, interesting articles every day and a diverse group of people to discuss with (pardon my grammar). Also, this is literally the FIRST forum I've EVER been on where I haven't said something so asshole-ish (I don't see those things on purpose, BTW) that everyone hates me and wants me to leave. I'm just an awkward person and everyone here is so forgiving.  :lol: I've made a lot of pals, though. I hope to meet a few MDSers in Chicago this Spring.

[quote author=ichy_underpants link=topic=18209.msg1155379#msg1155379 date=1232307572]
    is that squirrell fapping?
    [/quote]

Thats all you have to say?!?!?!  :lol:

No, its not.  When they bury a nut they tap the ground back over it.  It is very cute to see in person.  Generally though, the ones I fed just chowed down right at the feeder and did not do a lot of burying.

I'm surprised at how few people I've talked to off the boards.
    I've been here for so long that I would think that I would have made more IRL connections.  I know many other people did. 

The only meetup I'd ever considered was the one in NYC, but Sam was so small and it was logistically impossible.  I really do stay for the socializing.  I've never had an experience like this, where there were so many people who were so different.  I've not belonged to other online communities, but like Chompin noted, his last one bored him to almost death.

Are there other vibrant online communities that people belong to?  I've not seen any. 

Although I don't often comment on them, I still like reading the articles including ones that do not have threads created. I like trying to find out more info by researching myspaces, blogs, etc. for current articles and for threads in Additional Info Needed. But I do also enjoy reading people's perspectives on all sorts of issues from pets to politics to children. Where else can you find opinions from people that are from different backgrounds, live in different places all over the world and that have had such different life experiences?

[quote author=Chompin link=topic=18209.msg1155394#msg1155394 date=1232308248]
    Thats all you have to say?!?!?!   :lol:

No, its not.  When they bury a nut they tap the ground back over it.  It is very cute to see in person.  Generally though, the ones I fed just chowed down right at the feeder and did not do a lot of burying.
    [/quote]

OH. Okay. i can buy it.
    Haha it was just one of those things that captured my attention.

it was kinda random. and I wasn't trying to change the subject. i promise peavs!!!

I still read the articles on the main page so that is what brought me here. However, you grow tired of it because it's really the same old same old most of the time.

Human behavior is really strange. People never cease to amaze me on here so that's a draw.

Also, I've boned 3 members, so it's good to establish out of state contacts.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

[quote author=moosella link=topic=18209.msg1155406#msg1155406 date=1232308851]
    Although I don't often comment on them, I still like reading the articles including ones that do not have threads created. I like trying to find out more info by researching myspaces, blogs, etc. for current articles and for threads in Additional Info Needed. But I do also enjoy reading people's perspectives on all sorts of issues from pets to politics to children. Where else can you find opinions from people that are from different backgrounds, live in different places all over the world and that have had such different life experiences?
    [/quote]

That's what I'm trying to get at.  I don't think such a place really exists.  I think that the greatest draw for all of us is the type of people we become exposed to.  I'd honestly not know any other mothers with children in the military, or exhibitionist biker wives, or someone with a special needs child, or someone whose child experienced SBS, etc, etc.  I think we all naturally want to know about other people, and this site initially fulfilled one aspect of our curiosity -- i.e. the death of young people, but the randomness of members is more compelling.  

[quote author=Chauncy link=topic=18209.msg1155414#msg1155414 date=1232309155]
    I still read the articles on the main page so that is what brought me here. However, you grow tired of it because it's really the same old same old most of the time.

Human behavior is really strange. People never cease to amaze me on here so that's a draw.

Also, I've boned 3 members, so it's good to establish out of state contacts.
    [/quote]

I totally need to step up my game.

[quote author=Peavey link=topic=18209.msg1155404#msg1155404 date=1232308763]
    Are there other vibrant online communities that people belong to?  I've not seen any. 
    [/quote]SOme of the mothering boards I've belonged to have been AMAZING. They've done charity auctions on ebay to benefit a mother who has a sick baby, they do an "angel tree" every year for Christmas, and every month there's a "from the heart" thread where you can post what you're "in need" of (like kid's clothes, diapering items, etc) and if anyone has the items and is planning on getting rid of them, they'll ship them to you free or for the cost of shipping.
    They're also some of the catty-est, holier than thou people ever.  :lol:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

Thread Information