Thread: Family lets 11-year old girl suffer with horrible burns

Senior Member A Midnight Dreary's Avatar

Family lets 11-year old girl suffer with horrible burns

INDIANAPOLIS -- At least six people saw an 11-year-old girl on her family's couch, unable to walk and crying in pain after suffering second- and third-degree burns that went untreated for nearly two weeks, police said.

The girl's parents -- Fredrick and Sharon Wessel -- were charged on Friday with felony child neglect resulting in serious bodily injury. They were arrested on Wednesday after someone in the neighborhood called 911 to report that their daughter, Heather Wessel, had been badly burned, 6News' Jack Rinehart reported.

Police said the girl was standing near a propane heater inside the family's southeast-side home at 343 Villa Ave. on Dec. 24 when her pajama bottoms caught fire. Her parents told police that she had been unable to walk, but that they had been treating her burns with moisturizer.

The girl was transported to Wishard Memorial Hospital and then Riley Hospital For Children on Tuesday and underwent surgery on Wednesday.

According to the probable cause affidavit, Sharon Wessel told police that the home had not had heat since they moved in and that she owed more than $1,000 on her gas bill. Investigators said the home did have water, phone service and cable TV.

Six people quoted in the affidavit, including several family members, told police that they had seen the girl lying on the couch in pain, and had known that she was not able to walk because of the burns. They told police Fredrick and Sharon Wessel said they were afraid they would go to jail if they took their daughter to a hospital.

Ambulance records obtained by 6News on Thursday showed that Fredrick Wessel -- who recently underwent a tracheotomy -- called medics to the family's home at least once for himself after his daughter had been burned.

"There's no question about it that they knew that this was a severe burn and that she needed medical treatment, they just chose not to seek that," said Marion County Chief Trial Deputy David Wyser.

Heather Wessel was last listed in critical condition. Her 14-year-old brother was taken into custody by Child Protective Services.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/18449274/detail.html

Re: Family lets 11-year old girl suffer with horrible burns

The father called an ambulance for himself during the time his daughter was burned? I am glad the other child was taken from the family also.

Ok. Obviously the parents are beyond understanding. But I would think that one out of the six witnesses (presumably family, friends or neighbors) would have called someone the minute they saw this. It went on for days. But just one out of six called someone eventually? Wow.

What asses these parents are.  Poor child.  Hopefully she does not have to suffer to much more to correct these burns.
    I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours.

There's too much blood in my caffeine system.

[quote author=A Midnight Dreary link=topic=18121.msg1148887#msg1148887 date=1231804068]
    According to the probable cause affidavit, Sharon Wessel told police that the home had not had heat since they moved in and that she owed more than $1,000 on her gas bill. Investigators said the home did have water, phone service and cable TV.
    [/quote]Good thing they have their priorities in order  :roll:
    I hope this poor girl doesn't have to suffer more than she already has because of these morons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    SMH. White people! Always trying to help and shit.

[quote author=A Midnight Dreary link=topic=18121.msg1148887#msg1148887 date=1231804068]
    INDIANAPOLIS -- At least six people saw an 11-year-old girl on her family's couch, unable to walk and crying in pain after suffering second- and third-degree burns that went untreated for nearly two weeks, police said.

The girl's parents -- Fredrick and Sharon Wessel -- were charged on Friday with felony child neglect resulting in serious bodily injury. They were arrested on Wednesday after someone in the neighborhood called 911 to report that their daughter, Heather Wessel, had been badly burned, 6News' Jack Rinehart reported.

Police said the girl was standing near a propane heater inside the family's southeast-side home at 343 Villa Ave. on Dec. 24 when her pajama bottoms caught fire. Her parents told police that she had been unable to walk, but that they had been treating her burns with moisturizer.

The girl was transported to Wishard Memorial Hospital and then Riley Hospital For Children on Tuesday and underwent surgery on Wednesday.

Six people quoted in the affidavit, including several family members, told police that they had seen the girl lying on the couch in pain, and had known that she was not able to walk because of the burns. They told police Fredrick and Sharon Wessel said they were afraid they would go to jail if they took their daughter to a hospital.

Ambulance records obtained by 6News on Thursday showed that Fredrick Wessel -- who recently underwent a tracheotomy -- called medics to the family's home at least once for himself after his daughter had been burned.

"There's no question about it that they knew that this was a severe burn and that she needed medical treatment, they just chose not to seek that," said Marion County Chief Trial Deputy David Wyser.

Heather Wessel was last listed in critical condition. Her 14-year-old brother was taken into custody by Child Protective Services.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/18449274/detail.html
    [/quote]

Yeah, cuz nothing heals 2nd degree burns like Jergens!  :-o
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve. - Jello Biafra

[quote author=Evolved1 link=topic=18121.msg1149720#msg1149720 date=1231881591]
    Yeah, cuz nothing heals 2nd degree burns like Jergens!  :-o
    [/quote]

No no no..with all of the money they were saving by not having heat, it was probably Aveeno, the good stuff.

You're like a hurricane to me: your violence is beautiful, your centre, so sweet.

Well clearly cable TV doesn't require a deposit.
    I'll bet the parents owed money to some sort of satellite service.
    You can do that with services that don't hold a monopoly.  Get shut off from one for non-payment, turn on another.
    Unfortunately, you can't do that with electric or gas (in my area, anyway).

At any rate, I'm sorry her parents were ass-clowns.  I mean, moisturizer?  Really?  Even going to Walmart and talking to the pharmacist would have revealed more effective treatments.  Aloe, anyone?

[quote author=kittee link=topic=18121.msg1149840#msg1149840 date=1231886690]
    No no no..with all of the money they were saving by not having heat, it was probably Aveeno, the good stuff.
    [/quote]

Maybe!  My g/f calls it Jerkins, because that's what I use it for.  :lol:
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve. - Jello Biafra

[quote author=Peavey link=topic=18121.msg1149923#msg1149923 date=1231889599]
    Well clearly cable TV doesn't require a deposit.
    I'll bet the parents owed money to some sort of satellite service.
    You can do that with services that don't hold a monopoly.  Get shut off from one for non-payment, turn on another.
    Unfortunately, you can't do that with electric or gas (in my area, anyway).

At any rate, I'm sorry her parents were ass-clowns.  I mean, moisturizer?  Really?  Even going to Walmart and talking to the pharmacist would have revealed more effective treatments.  Aloe, anyone?
    [/quote]

Seriously. Antibiotic cream and some bandages, anything but just a li'l squirt of moisturizer. People should know this before having children.

However, there is an elephant in the room: health insurance. I'm guessing these guys did not have a plan for Heather and panicked knowing that it was one more bill they couldn't afford, and figured this could just be swept under the carpet with a little cream. It's not an excusable offence, but an excuse that I think a lot of people partake in. I, for example, never go to a doctor until I'm lying on the bed, in tears and agony, and someone drags my ass...or if there's lots of blood everywhere. That's a good time to see the doctor, and say "fuck it, I'll deal with the bill later". When your daughter is on fire is also a good time. 
    <br /><br />Funk all night.

[quote author=DaGr link=topic=18121.msg1149948#msg1149948 date=1231890331]
    Seriously. Antibiotic cream and some bandages, anything but just a li'l squirt of moisturizer. People should know this before having children.

However, there is an elephant in the room: health insurance. I'm guessing these guys did not have a plan for Heather and panicked knowing that it was one more bill they couldn't afford, and figured this could just be swept under the carpet with a little cream. It's not an excusable offence, but an excuse that I think a lot of people partake in. I, for example, never go to a doctor until I'm lying on the bed, in tears and agony, and someone drags my ass...or if there's lots of blood everywhere. That's a good time to see the doctor, and say &quot;fuck it, I'll deal with the bill later&quot;. When your daughter is on fire is also a good time.&nbsp;
    [/quote]

Yeah, but he had a tracheotomy done.

WTF!!! So sick and tired of seeing/reading about parents doing this type of shit to their children. Makes me so mad.&nbsp;
    <br /><br />&quot;I have a dream&quot; and Obama made it come true!

Thread Information