Page 601 of 655 FirstFirst ... 101 501 551 591 599 600 601 602 603 611 651 ... LastLast
Results 15,001 to 15,025 of 16368

Thread: MDS pets

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    A lot of dogs are on prednisone and phenobarbital. I know barbiturates aren't widely used in human medicine that often, but they are prescribed for seizures in dogs. The clinic in which I used to work had a laser, but it was used in place of a scalpel in surgery. I'm not sure what that laser does.

The only side effects of prednisone that are common is drinking more and urinating more. I dont think vomiting is a side effect.
    hopefully the prednisone keeps him from vomiting. he's on an antiemetic now, but i crawled into bed and stuck my foot in dog vomit anyway. phenobarbital is well tolerated in dogs?

i would know if my dog was having seizures, right? the etiologies for sialandosis include epilepsy and idiopathic (possibly autoimmune) according to the info my vet gave me.

the information my vet gave z says both terms itis/osis. is there a difference? i thought he used the term sialandenosis, that was before they got the needle aspiration results back. they've been doing laser treatments and amoxicillin, but they want us to come in again tomorrow and start prednisone.

Yes you would know if your dog was having seizures. I'm not sure if your vet told you this or not but once you start phenobarbital, the dog is usually on it for life.

Is he on Cerenia? They make oral tablets but they also make a shot that lasts 24 hours.

I guess you could use the terms interchangeably. I usually relate -itis to swelling or inflammation of.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Ok I talked to my friend and she said Phenobarbital is used to treat sialadenosis/itis but not because the condition causes seizures. She says she doesn't know why it works, but it does. She also said the condition's causes are usually idiopathic.

The condition is pretty rare. I've heard of it, but have never seen it. She has seen 1 dog that had it, and phenobarbital helped.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Yes you would know if your dog was having seizures. I'm not sure if your vet told you this or not but once you start phenobarbital, the dog is usually on it for life.

Is he on Cerenia? They make oral tablets but they also make a shot that lasts 24 hours.

I guess you could use the terms interchangeably. I usually relate -itis to swelling or inflammation of.
    the info he gave me has sialadenosis circled, and the part that talks about the histology not showing an inflammatory or neoplastic cells.

i'm glad they don't want to operate, at first he talked about that. he thought it might be sialocele when he first saw it.

the info my vet gave us says that one study of dogs with the disease showed EEG changes consistent with epilepsy. i'm not sure why he wants to try prednisone first, i guess i'll figure out more when i talk to him in the morning. he did say there was lymph tissue present when they did the aspiration, but i don't know if that is significant. i still don't get the laser thing, really. we don't do that to humans that i know of.

he is taking cerenia. i just googled it and now i know my vet is price gouging me.

my poor pukey dougie. he's so sad. i just want him to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by emmieslost View Post
    the info he gave me has sialadenosis circled, and the part that talks about the histology not showing an inflammatory or neoplastic cells.

i'm glad they don't want to operate, at first he talked about that. he thought it might be sialocele when he first saw it.

the info my vet gave us says that one study of dogs with the disease showed EEG changes consistent with epilepsy. i'm not sure why he wants to try prednisone first, i guess i'll figure out more when i talk to him in the morning. he did say there was lymph tissue present when they did the aspiration, but i don't know if that is significant. i still don't get the laser thing, really. we don't do that to humans that i know of.

he is taking cerenia. i just googled it and now i know my vet is price gouging me.

my poor pukey dougie. he's so sad. i just want him to feel better.
    I think he thinks it's immune related, that's why he wants to start the prednisone first. Is your dog vomiting up the cerenia? Or is he able to keep it down?

From what my friend told me, the phenobarbital works well and improves the symptoms quickly.

Give your pukey dog a hug for me

I think he thinks it's immune related, that's why he wants to start the prednisone first. Is your dog vomiting up the cerenia? Or is he able to keep it down?

From what my friend told me, the phenobarbital works well and improves the symptoms quickly.

Give your pukey dog a hug for me
    i appreciate the insight. i think you're right, he wants to revist after 5-7 days on prednisone. he hasn't puke up the cerenia, but my boyfriend didn't listen to me and give it to him the way he was supposed to. he's been home with him the last three days while i've been at the hospital.

we will be leaving for the vet shortly. i'll give him your hugs, he has been super cuddly through all of this. he looks so sad all the time and i can constantly hear him swallowing/gulping.

today you can differentiate the his lymph node from his salivary gland, both are still swollen but not so much that you can't tell which is which. the aspiration they did last friday showed both, so i guess i hope this is an indication that it is autoimmune and the prednisone will help. they did a UA, looking for antibodies to support this, but it was unremarkable.

we will laser on M, W, F. the vet is very happy with the results.

his apparent fatigue also makes me wonder if it is autoimmune. the vet is kind of geeking out about the diagnosis, which i love of course. he said it's only the third case they have seen in 35 years, the first case he has ever seen. he did say his partners didn't think vomiting was a symptom, but all the articles he has found and i have found list vomiting as a sign. i mentioned that his snorting worried me that he'd get aspiration pneumonia or something so he showed me where to listen to his lungs and his upper respiratory tract and where to look for petechia. it makes me happy he is so willing to teach me.

today you can differentiate the his lymph node from his salivary gland, both are still swollen but not so much that you can't tell which is which. the aspiration they did last friday showed both, so i guess i hope this is an indication that it is autoimmune and the prednisone will help. they did a UA, looking for antibodies to support this, but it was unremarkable.

we will laser on M, W, F. the vet is very happy with the results.

his apparent fatigue also makes me wonder if it is autoimmune. the vet is kind of geeking out about the diagnosis, which i love of course. he said it's only the third case they have seen in 35 years, the first case he has ever seen. he did say his partners didn't think vomiting was a symptom, but all the articles he has found and i have found list vomiting as a sign. i mentioned that his snorting worried me that he'd get aspiration pneumonia or something so he showed me where to listen to his lungs and his upper respiratory tract and where to look for petechia. it makes me happy he is so willing to teach me.
    I do think the diagnosis is very interesting. I hadn't seen a case myself. I could see where there would be a misdiagnosis as a gastrointestinal problem. I was doing some reading last night, and apparently people who are bulimic get it.

Is he doing that reverse-sneezing thing? That shouldn't cause him to aspirate. Did the vet recommend a certain diet for him?

I do think the diagnosis is very interesting. I hadn't seen a case myself. I could see where there would be a misdiagnosis as a gastrointestinal problem. I was doing some reading last night, and apparently people who are bulimic get it.

Is he doing that reverse-sneezing thing? That shouldn't cause him to aspirate. Did the vet recommend a certain diet for him?
    he does this kind of snorting thing, he's done it forever. sometimes he does it before he vomits. the vet said he can hear his congestion in his upper airway and we're pretty sure it's just from all the saliva. he is constantly swallowing the saliva, i can see how it would easily lead to vomiting.

i read that it is seen in bulimics, too. it also happens with sjogrens syndrome, i believe. i spent last night reading about it instead of studying.

we didn't changes his diet at all. he is still doing his dry food (science diet, lamb small bites).

he does this kind of snorting thing, he's done it forever. sometimes he does it before he vomits. the vet said he can hear his congestion in his upper airway and we're pretty sure it's just from all the saliva. he is constantly swallowing the saliva, i can see how it would easily lead to vomiting.

i read that it is seen in bulimics, too. it also happens with sjogrens syndrome, i believe. i spent last night reading about it instead of studying.

we didn't changes his diet at all. he is still doing his dry food (science diet, lamb small bites).
    A lot of Brachycephalic dogs snort a lot. I don't recall your dog being a breed of that category though.

Did you start the prednisone yet? Maybe that will help him feel better.

A lot of Brachycephalic dogs snort a lot. I don't recall your dog being a breed of that category though.

Did you start the prednisone yet? Maybe that will help him feel better.
    yeah, we aren't sure about his breed but we suspect he is a basenji/terrier mix. he doesn't have a head like boston terrier though.

i just gave him his first dose of prednisone a few hours ago. *fingerscrossed* i hope it helps his appetite and he starts drinking more, too, because he's been avoiding food until he is starving and then he just throws it up. poor lil' guy.

you can see the swelling in the picture below a little bit:

Yep he looks like a mixed breed terrier to me. I can definately see the swelling.

The pred should help his appetite. He probably feels crappy because he's not eating and drinking. Chicken (with no added spices) and plain white rice is easy on the stomach.

Yep he looks like a mixed breed terrier to me. I can definately see the swelling.

The pred should help his appetite. He probably feels crappy because he's not eating and drinking. Chicken (with no added spices) and plain white rice is easy on the stomach.
    He can't eat chicken, it gives him awful diarrhea. That's why we feed him lamb. What about rice and eggs? My exs mom used to feed her for that. I've need giving him his meds with peanut butter, he'll never turn that down.

That photo was taken before anyone noticed the swelling. A few nights later he was swollen from the front of his mouth back to his ear and we were icing it.

Sorry, stupid auto correct.

He can't eat chicken, it gives him awful diarrhea. That's why we feed him lamb. What about rice and eggs? My exs mom used to feed her for that. I've need giving him his meds with peanut butter, he'll never turn that down.

That photo was taken before anyone noticed the swelling. A few nights later he was swollen from the front of his mouth back to his ear and we were icing it.
    Ok just kidding about the chicken I'm not sure about the eggs, I would ask your vet.

The meds in pb sounds tricky. Does he swallow the pill right away? I know my moms dog usually gets it stuck on the roof of her mouth, then she spends about 5 minutes trying to get it off with her tongue. My mom gives her a cranberry supplement every day, she rolls it up in a piece of those Kraft singles cheeses (the ones wrapped in plastic)

The pic looks like it's the submandibular lymph node is enlarged.

i originally assumed it was just the lymph node, but i noticed him swallowing a lot and wondered about a salivary gland or bleeding since i noticed it shortly after he had his blood drawn. the lymph node and gland are even smaller today. i'm wondering if the vet will even want to keep doing the laser treatments through friday. you can hardly feel them there.

he is getting the pills down just fine. my boyfriend put one in BUTTER and gave it to him. the dog loves butter. we have to hide the butter dish because he has been known to eat a whole stick and then puke it up. he's a weirdo.

My daughter got a shih tzu puppy. He is 16wks old and weighs 4 pounds. He has fleas

She bathed him and then bought Sentry Pro for puppies on Saturday. She came by yesterday and after she left I found a flea on me. Yikes. . It's not working. She brought him here for me to puppy sit and I found another flea on him. I have advantage for small dogs and puppies over 5 pounds. Would it be a bad idea to use it on him since he is a pound smaller than recommended? Or should I buy something for a bit of a smaller puppy. He was born July 18. No pics because he is in constant chase kitty mode. Should I bathe him to remove the Sentry Pro residue before applying another brand? I don't have flea shampoo for my pets as they don't have fleas. So just no tears doggy shampoo.

I will buy whatever he needs if what I have on hand is not safe.

Quote Originally Posted by marycontrary View Post
    My daughter got a shih tzu puppy. He is 16wks old and weighs 4 pounds. He has fleas

She bathed him and then bought Sentry Pro for puppies on Saturday. She came by yesterday and after she left I found a flea on me. Yikes. . It's not working. She brought him here for me to puppy sit and I found another flea on him. I have advantage for small dogs and puppies over 5 pounds. Would it be a bad idea to use it on him since he is a pound smaller than recommended? Or should I buy something for a bit of a smaller puppy. He was born July 18. No pics because he is in constant chase kitty mode. Should I bathe him to remove the Sentry Pro residue before applying another brand? I don't have flea shampoo for my pets as they don't have fleas. So just no tears doggy shampoo.

I will buy whatever he needs if what I have on hand is not safe.
    So she already applied the Sentry Pro to him? You are going to have to wait awhile before giving him anything else. At least until the Sentry leaves his system.

It could be that she gave him a bath before she applied it, or it could be the product didn't work for him. I don't have a lot of faith in those flea-dip products.

Capstar is really affective in killing fleas, and I like Trifexis because it works for fleas, ticks and Heartworm. I think it also works for ear mites too.

Does that mean waiting a month before trying something else? It obviously doesn't work.

Many years ago we had a kitten that the vet gave us an oral med, I think it was called program. It worked well. We have also had the vet give revolution for treatment of ear mites, but he said it was mainly a flea med. I see Capstar is available OTC. Can I give the dog Capstar even though he has had Sentry? From what I'm reading you can do both.

I'm leaning to using Capstar on the little boy now and then switching to frontline in a month. I have not treated my pets since August. My yard is treated and we no longer have cats going outside, so the dogs only get frontline and once it freezes I stop until the following June. However, since we now have an animal with fleas in the house all the pets (cats too) will get frontline now and again next month to be on the safe side.

There are 6 pills in the Capstar package and I read that it can be given daily. Would I give one now and then hold on to the rest and give it only if I see another flea?

This flea shit is expensive lol. I have frontline and advantage on hand for my toy breed dogs (up to 15 pounds), but we have the large dog, about 45 pounds who comes here for day care. Can I just give him a triple dose of tiny dog treatment? I just hate having to buy a whole box for him and I doubt his owner will be eager to spend $60 to treat him.

I really appreciate your help with this. I felt something crawling along my hairline last night, so I got out of bed and checked in the mirror and horrors...a flea on MY face. Not acceptable..lol. I'm a bit leery of the care this puppy received. She didn't buy it from a breeder, but a person who bought the puppy then changed their mind about it. They didn't include shot records and said he had been wormed. It doesn't make a lot of sense to worm a dog, but not get rid of fleas. I'm guessing this dog needs to see the vet and who knows what they will do about shots. This was an impulsive craigslist buy.

I posted a pic of her cat in the sink a couple months ago..a pretty calico who was pushing 15yrs. The cat was insanely healthy until my daughter went on her deck to bring in folding chairs for a camping trip. She was cornered on her deck by angry yellow jackets and had to be rescued by the maintenance man. Some yellow jackets got in the house too. Later that day she noticed a swelling on the cats face, between the eyes. She thought that the cat got stung. The cat seemed fine and she went away camping. I went to her house to feed the animals and saw this swelling and called her, suggesting the cat go to the vet. She had been sneezing all summer and it was thought she had allergies to the new apartment. She told me she would take the cat in when she returned from camping. The cat ended up having a tumor. It grew very quickly and due to her age the vet recommended comfort measures and gave her 3 injections, one of which was a steroid. It helped for one day. Within a week, it pushed her eyes apart and was huge. The cat then began to hold her head back at an odd angle and breathing became difficult. She quit eating and we had her put to sleep. It hurt so bad, I couldn't begin to share on the forum. My daughter had a tough time with it and I was really concerned about depression. It didn't help that her other cat cried and kept her up all night looking for his buddy. Over time, she got over it, although her remaining cat continues to cry and look for the missing cat.

She was looking on craigslist for a kitten last week when she found the ad for the dog. She didn't ask questions and didn't ask for advice. She drove 2 hours to meet these people...they live 4 hours away. He seems in good health and he is very active and playful. A real sweetheart. I don't think he will be very big when full grown. He's a brindle, so looking for fleas is kind of hard. They gave her registration papers for something other that AKC, so who knows what kind of breeding he comes from. It doesn't matter as he will be neutered and he is a companion dog only. I just wished she would have looked into it a bit and consider a dog from the shelter vs buying a shady craigslist puppy without shot records. We do love him already tho. He is a sweetheart. My cats enjoy him and my dogs ignore him. He loves those cats.

Someday, my daughter and I will have a word or two about breeders who don't breed for good genetics.

One last question. I've never had a male dog. He has no balls. Is this normal? At what age should he be neutered and if he has undescended testicles, will they still neuter?

A vet will have to definitively answer this for you. They can determine whether he has undescended testicles rather easily, and if that's the case, you should definitely get them removed as soon as you can because it does create a greater risk of cancer for the dog...my old roommate's dog had the same issue.

Mary. Check with a vet. Flea meds are tricky for puppies and kittens, they can also tell you what seems to work with fleas in your area as it seems to vary from place to place.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Does anyone use blue dawn for fleas and have it work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Because they are probably not ghetto and hood like me.

A vet will have to definitively answer this for you. They can determine whether he has undescended testicles rather easily, and if that's the case, you should definitely get them removed as soon as you can because it does create a greater risk of cancer for the dog...my old roommate's dog had the same issue.
    I've only seen Cryptorchid animals have one testicle retained. It can happen to both testicles though. What Bowie says it right, it's important to get that taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Mary. Check with a vet. Flea meds are tricky for puppies and kittens, they can also tell you what seems to work with fleas in your area as it seems to vary from place to place.
    Yes Mary I second this. We would give one dose of Capstar to an animal along with Frontline, but, I would be extra careful with a small dog breed puppy.

So depending on the clinic, a puppy should get 3-4 "puppy shots". This consists of the Distemper/Parvovirus vaccination, a Rabies vaccination, and Strongid (de wormer). The place I used to work recommended starting at 8 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Words Words View Post
    Does anyone use blue dawn for fleas and have it work?
    Blue Dawn is used to remove grease-like substances from the fur. I don't know that it works for fleas.

The shitty thing about fleas is that they are hard to get rid of. You have to vacuum thoroughly, and make sure you remove as many of them as possible. They can go "dormant" and chill in carpeting for months.

Sorry mary I just reread your post, and I missed some questions.

Most places will neuter a puppy as young as 4 months. Is he really small? Most places like them to weigh 5+ lbs (preferably 8).

One time this couple brought in this tiny black kitten they names Heidi for a spay. She was super cute and small. Turns out she was a he I called the owners and they didnt believe me. Sometimes when they are really small and young you can't tell the difference.

I would ask your vet about the 3x dose of the flea treatment formulated for a 15 lb dog. I worked with about 8 vets, and they got this question often. About half of the vets said it was okay, the other 4 said no.

I'm very sorry about your daughters cat she had to put down my step mom's cat had a tumor on his head, and he looked liked a scary monster as well. It was so heartbreaking to see. I'm so sorry you and your daughter went through that.

Thread Information