Page 642 of 655 FirstFirst ... 142 542 592 632 640 641 642 643 644 652 ... LastLast
Results 16,026 to 16,050 of 16368

Thread: MDS pets

Happy Holidays from Spud.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

Happy Holidays from Spud.

Excuse my dog he had to post twice because of his ego.

Quote Originally Posted by puke View Post
    He's a cutie, it's no wonder he's a serial selfie poster!
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puke View Post
    Hes adorable!

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

A Friend whose husband died recently, asked me to help her look for a dog. She had one as a child, but has never had one as an adult. She is 70yo. I happily agreed to help and when I asked her what kind of dog she was looking for, she gave me this list:

female
    pointy nose, but not too pointy
    various shades of beige/brown, some white patches are acceptable
    triangle shaped ears, but not too big and no erect ears
    no black on the face, small black spots on other parts of the body are acceptable
    no little dogs (chihuahuas, toy poodles, etc)
    not too close to the ground
    no long-torso dogs
    no snub-nose

How would you respond?
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    A Friend whose husband died recently, asked me to help her look for a dog. She had one as a child, but has never had one as an adult. She is 70yo. I happily agreed to help and when I asked her what kind of dog she was looking for, she gave me this list:

female
    no black on the face, small black spots on other parts of the body are acceptable
    no long-torso dogs
    no snub-nose

How would you respond?
    Australian Shepherd? But idk if the coloring would match.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

female
    no long-torso dogs
    no snub-nose

How would you respond?
    Ok, I'm not trying to be an ass, but that is super specific for someone who doesn't just say they want a (fill in the blank) type of dog.

I had a lady give me a numbered list last week, stating how she expected her dog to act (like step by step) in certain situations, and that any deviation was unacceptable. Needless to say we didn't adopt to her.

I think some people forget (or don't realize in the first place) that dogs aren't made to order for people.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Ok, I'm not trying to be an ass, but that is super specific for someone who doesn't just say they want a (fill in the blank) type of dog.

I had a lady give me a numbered list last week, stating how she expected her dog to act (like step by step) in certain situations, and that any deviation was unacceptable. Needless to say we didn't adopt to her.

I think some people forget (or don't realize in the first place) that dogs aren't made to order for people.
    If I'm being honest, I would tell her to look in the local shelters. In person. That way she will see and interact with all of the different dogs and she will fall in love with one and have to have it.

I don't recommend Aussie Shepherd unless she's in to long and speedy walks 20 times per day.

I just feel like people will always find their perfect match at a shelter, but that they're hesitant to go to one. But once they do, they're happy that they did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

female
    no long-torso dogs
    no snub-nose

How would you respond?
    I'd buy her a stuffed one.

Quote Originally Posted by jennafyre View Post
    LOL, I was thinking that too after I posted. There is a meme about people calling a rescue and giving a list of specifics they want in a dog and asking which type of dog would fit them best, and they suggest a stuffed dog from Walmart.

KT, if your friend doesn't want to go to the shelter, and isn't sure about the breed she wants, she might be able to go to like a Petsmart adoption day or something like that and see multiple dogs in a non-shelter environment. Has this lady thought about a cat?

LOL, I was thinking that too after I posted. There is a meme about people calling a rescue and giving a list of specifics they want in a dog and asking which type of dog would fit them best, and they suggest a stuffed dog from Walmart.

KT, if your friend doesn't want to go to the shelter, and isn't sure about the breed she wants, she might be able to go to like a Petsmart adoption day or something like that and see multiple dogs in a non-shelter environment. Has this lady thought about a cat?
    I just saw that I quoted you instead of KT by mistake. Oops!

KT, the adoption day thing that RBW mentioned is perfect. They are actually from shelters, but in a non shelter environment. Some shelters also have adoption events at local parks on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I just saw that I quoted you instead of KT by mistake. Oops!

KT, the adoption day thing that RBW mentioned is perfect. They are actually from shelters, but in a non shelter environment. Some shelters also have adoption events at local parks on the weekends.
    Even the best shelter isn't a great environment for the dogs or potential adopters, and some of them are downright devastating to visit. I have spent quite a bit of time in them pulling dogs and I still always leave a little shell-shocked. I can't imagine how the dogs in them feel.

I would try to find a local adoption event KT, and just let her window shop at first to try to narrow down what she is looking for. She might surprise herself and fall in love with a dog that defies every single one of her requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by jennafyre View Post
    Thank you. I really just posted this for validation. I thought I was being too hard on my Friend.

I personally don't think she should own a dog. She knows nothing about them, she certainly doesn't understand them, and I'll go so far as to say she doesn't really LIKE them. I showed her several dogs that I thought would be suitable and she dismissed them as "ugly." Seriously you guise, who could call a dog (SEVERAL dogs) ugly?!?!

Also, she has considerable health issues and is unable to exercise the dog, yet she's looking at big dogs. Like I said, she's totally clueless about the needs of a dog.

I'm glad to see that a rescue (RBW) wouldn't adopt to someone like her. I told her she needs a stuffed animal, not a dog, and that I would not help her find an unsuitable dog that will have to be rehomed in less than a year. She doesn't like my attitude.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

LOL, I was thinking that too after I posted. There is a meme about people calling a rescue and giving a list of specifics they want in a dog and asking which type of dog would fit them best, and they suggest a stuffed dog from Walmart. <snip> Has this lady thought about a cat?
    I need to find this meme and send it to her.

I suggested a cat and she says she's allergic to them. She doesn't like them anyway, they are "sneaky."

Like I said, she really doesn't understand animals at all and has no appreciation for what sharing your life with one entails. I pity the poor dog she adopts.

Thank you. I really just posted this for validation. I thought I was being too hard on my Friend.

I personally don't think she should own a dog. She knows nothing about them, she certainly doesn't understand them, and I'll go so far as to say she doesn't really LIKE them. I showed her several dogs that I thought would be suitable and she dismissed them as "ugly." Seriously you guise, who could call a dog (SEVERAL dogs) ugly?!?!

Also, she has considerable health issues and is unable to exercise the dog, yet she's looking at big dogs. Like I said, she's totally clueless about the needs of a dog.

I'm glad to see that a rescue (RBW) wouldn't adopt to someone like her. I told her she needs a stuffed animal, not a dog, and that I would not help her find an unsuitable dog that will have to be rehomed in less than a year. She doesn't like my attitude.
    Yeah, the way she listed out how she wants the dog to LOOK was a red flag to me. A dog is not some pretty statue to put in the corner of your living room.

Maybe a cat would be better for her.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Yeah, the way she listed out how she wants the dog to LOOK was a red flag to me. A dog is not some pretty statue to put in the corner of your living room.

Maybe a cat would be better for her.
    It was a HUGE red flag for me and she thinks I'm being ridiculous about that - which is ANOTHER red flag. I've known her for 31 years, and I've never seen her admire a dog, pet a dog, or even comment on one, so I was surprised when she said she wanted a dog. Don't get me wrong, she is a wonderful person in a million other ways, but I don't think she's the right person for any dog. Maybe a cat or a guinea pig or a bird, but not a dog.

She says she's allergic to cats. Didn't know about that, either.

It was a HUGE red flag for me and she thinks I'm being ridiculous about that - which is ANOTHER red flag. I've known her for 31 years, and I've never seen her admire a dog, pet a dog, or even comment on one, so I was surprised when she said she wanted a dog. Don't get me wrong, she is a wonderful person in a million other ways, but I don't think she's the right person for any dog. Maybe a cat or a guinea pig or a bird, but not a dog.

She says she's allergic to cats. Didn't know about that, either.
    A fish, maybe?

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

I wonder if shes lonely. It doesnt sound like a dog or cat would be right for her, so Im thinking a bird maybe? Just not an exotic type (most places wont let you get an exotic bird without experience so thats good.)

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I wonder if shes lonely. It doesnt sound like a dog or cat would be right for her, so Im thinking a bird maybe? Just not an exotic type (most places wont let you get an exotic bird without experience so thats good.)
    I was thinking this too!

A fish, maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    She is very lonely. She lost the love of her life, they had an amazing relationship. He fell and suffered a brain bleed and overnight, their lives changed forever. She cared for him at home for 5 years (neglecting her own health in the process). My heart breaks for her.

I wish her mind was opened to trying out a less demanding pet first. She really needs to work up to the responsibility of a dog. But when I mention birds or guinea pigs or fish, she thinks they're gross. This tells me she's not cut out to share her living space with anything other than homosapiens.

We stopped discussing this. I told her I will not help her find a dog that I know she is going to end up rehoming. She is not pleased with my attitude and thinks I'm being ridiculous and a bit of a bitch. Maybe so, but I feel like the night watch on the Titanic, "Iceberg straight ahead!" Lately she has started sending me pictures of dogs again, asking what I think of them. That's what prompted the post last night. I thought perhaps I was being too hard on her, but I don't think I am.

Thanks all!

She is very lonely. She lost the love of her life, they had an amazing relationship. He fell and suffered a brain bleed and overnight, their lives changed forever. She cared for him at home for 5 years (neglecting her own health in the process). My heart breaks for her.

I wish her mind was opened to trying out a less demanding pet first. She really needs to work up to the responsibility of a dog. But when I mention birds or guinea pigs or fish, she thinks they're gross. This tells me she's not cut out to share her living space with anything other than homosapiens.

We stopped discussing this. I told her I will not help her find a dog that I know she is going to end up rehoming. She is not pleased with my attitude and thinks I'm being ridiculous and a bit of a bitch. Maybe so, but I feel like the night watch on the Titanic, "Iceberg straight ahead!" Lately she has started sending me pictures of dogs again, asking what I think of them. That's what prompted the post last night. I thought perhaps I was being too hard on her, but I don't think I am.

Thanks all!
    Maybe fostering a dog (a sort of test run) would work best. Then she can see if she is even up for it.

Thanks all!
    Even though it's awkward, you did the right thing. Dogs need exercise and lots of care and attention. It sounds like she's just lonely and wants another living thing around her, but that's not the sole purpose of dogs or cats or any animal. Sure, they're companions, but they require attention and care and can be a lot of work. It wouldn't be fair to any animal to be expected to just sit there and look pretty.

I feel bad that she's lonely though.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Even though it's awkward, you did the right thing. Dogs need exercise and lots of care and attention. It sounds like she's just lonely and wants another living thing around her, but that's not the sole purpose of dogs or cats or any animal. Sure, they're companions, but they require attention and care and can be a lot of work. It wouldn't be fair to any animal to be expected to just sit there and look pretty.

I feel bad that she's lonely though.
    Thank you so much for this. You put it beautifully, much better than I did to be honest. I may quote you the next time I get a Petfinder photo!

KT, by "Getting the dogs situated", that means getting them their "passport". Since Ireland doesn't have Rabies, we're going to have to show proof of vaccination within 2 months of travel, paperwork and other vaccinations etc to ensure that they don't need to be in quarantine.

They actually have Vets on duty in the airport to examine the dogs and paperwork before clearing them. Fun stuff lol.

Thread Information