Thread: Kevin Wonser (15) accidentally slit his throat by driving ATV through a chain

Fan of the Underdog kateisgr3at's Avatar

Kevin Wonser (15) accidentally slit his throat by driving ATV through a chain

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2008...a_private_road

A 15-year-old suffered a fatal throat injury in an all-terrain vehicle accident and died on his family's property in Estacada Saturday, authorities said.

The Clackamas County Sheriff's Office identified the teen as Kevin Vincent Wonser.

According to the sheriff's office, the teen was riding the ATV about 7:15 p.m. on the property on South Raney Road when he drove through a chain that had been secured across a gate on a private road, causing the throat injury.

Sheriff's Lt. Kevin Layng said the body was discovered by the boy's father, who had gone looking for his son when he failed to return home. The teen died at the scene of the accident
    This freaked me out when I read it...could you IMAGINE?! Lord..talk about "when its your time, it's your time.."
    Balls.

Re: Kevin Wonser (15) accidentally slit his throat by driving ATV through a chain

When I read articles on ATV accidents I shutter. My husband is an avid ATV rider & often goes to a place in West Virginia that lets people camp & ride the trails...Wagon Wheel, I believe. But what scares the shit out of me is that I went one time & it was hundreds of ATV'S out there. Most people were helmet less & drunk as shit. You can also ride up to 10 miles on paved roads...highways included....with no helmet. It is so far up in the mountains if your hurt(if someone is lucky enough to find you in time) you have to get air lifted out. I know there, if you have your land posted and have wire your suppose to tie those florescent strips every so feet. Wonder if the guy with the wire will face any fines?

This is a horrible accident & I feel for the boys family. My hubs keeps wanting to get our 5 year old a little 4 wheeler, they race them up here ....I say hell to the fuck no on that idea.

RIP Kevin Wonser

Re: Kevin Wonser (15) accidentally slit his throat by driving ATV through a chain

My friend's friend's bf was killed almost this same way...rode his motorcycle into a chain because he didn't realize it was there...chain snapped and hit his neck. :(

I think i might have butchered that story. If my friend reads this, maybe she'll fix it :)
    "Since change is constant, you wonder if people crave death because it's the only way they can get anything really finished." -Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    I love everyone except Amy.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowCake1 View Post
    Amy's taste > Tara's

I think i submitted this one... I think.  :lol:

When i first read it in the local paper, It kind of hit home, Because i used to ride my dads atv's on private property like this all the time.

We have a pretty popular rec area here (Sand Lake), and  they get a lot of injuries each year (this year 2 people died when a drunk guy crashed into their dune buggy with his dune buggy, I think a 19 year old female killed in that wreck was added on here a while back).

When they had the  park ranger, or whatever it is that enforces rules there, talk about her experiences working there.. She told the story of a guy on an ATV that was riding around with his kid in one of those baby backpacks, on his back. :-o

RIP Kevin... You seemed like a pretty cool/level headed kid.

Re: Kevin Wonser (15) accidentally slit his throat by driving ATV through a chai

It's actually not all that uncommon.  People get to buzzing around way fast on an atv or snowmobile.  Offroad.  Find a chain or barbed wire fence and, um, zing.

My brother had a friend who was towing something with his tractor with a chain.  Chain snapped.  Flew back, whacked him on the back of the head. Dead.

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Re: Kevin Wonser (15) accidentally slit his throat by driving ATV through a chai

Obit

http://www.estacadanews.com/news/story.php?story_id=122953897818614000

Kevin Vincent Wonser
    Nov. 18, 1993 -- Dec. 6, 2008

The Estacada News, Dec 17, 2008
    (news photo)

Submitted photo / Estacada News

Kevin Wonser

ADVERTISEMENTS

Estacada resident Kevin Vincent Wonser died Saturday, Dec. 6, 2008, as a result of an ATV accident on his family’s farm. He was 15 years old.

A celebration of his life was held on Thursday, Dec. 11, 2008, at Estacada Junior High School. Those who knew and loved him filled the auditorium for this heartfelt tribute to his life. Kevin’s favorite desserts, ice cream sundaes and chocolate chip cookies, were offered at a reception that followed.

Kevin Wonser was born on Nov. 18, 1993, in Oregon City, Ore., to Mark and Jean Wonser. Three older siblings welcomed him into the family. He was raised in Estacada on the Wonser Woods Farm. Kevin attended Hood View Junior Academy in Boring, Ore.; St. John the Apostle School in Oregon City, Ore.; Estacada Junior High School, and was a freshman at Estacada High School.

Kevin lived a life that was truly inspiring. He enjoyed all sports and was a big fan of the Portland Trail Blazers and the Oregon Ducks. Kevin especially enjoyed riding his ATV on the family farm. He was a gifted athlete and student, and a friend to all. He loved and was loved in return by many who will miss him.

Survivors include his parents, Mark and Jean Wonser, sister Stephanie, and brothers David and Steven, all of Estacada; grandparents, Vince and Linda Fitzgerald of Portland; and dozens of aunts, uncles and cousins.

A memorial scholarship has been established in tribute to his love of the athletic program at Estacada High School. Contributions may be made to Estacada High School (memo: “Kevin Wonser Memorial Scholarship Fund”). The address is: Estacada High School, 355 NE 6th Ave. Estacada, OR 97023, Attention: Dee Conrad.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

This reminds of incident that happened at a ski area near where I grew up. A guy rode a snowmobile through a chain and his neck was cut up. The guy was in his late 50s. Kevin was way too young to die. RIP Kevin.

This reminds me of a story a deputy told us in the academy.  Apparently some of the deputies and officers in one county were jumping the gun with calling the medical examiner (for a death) and he instructed the departments to wait until they know the person is actually dead before calling him.  The next day they had a case where a guy died in a moterbike accident...the ME wanted to make sure he was dead...he was, he went airborne and hit a wire, decapitating him. 

Fan of the Underdog kateisgr3at's Avatar

that is nutso. I've always been afraid of motorcycles and stuff like that, but never for this reason - I've just driven up on a few accidents before and every one of them have been fatalities...so they scare me.

I've never been afraid of 4-wheelers, though. In fact, back home when it would snow, we used to get on 4 wheelers and drive them out in the country and do all kinds of crazy shit on them. I don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon, now. Great, another freakin' thing for me to be afraid of!  haha
    Balls.

Kevin sounds like a good kid and the info we have isn't really clear, but it does say the chain was across a private road. Generally that's when these kinds of accidents happen, when people venture out of the area they are supposed to be in and onto private property.

It makes me wonder though if it hadn't been restricted in the past so he was unaware of the chain.
    Quote Originally Posted by beli View Post
    kim kardashian - made famous for having a sex tape, should die in a fire
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    Have you ever walked into a mall, sat on God's lap, and had your picture taken?

[quote author=Karalicious link=topic=17761.msg1122110#msg1122110 date=1229696478]
    My friend's friend's [s]bf[/s] fiancee was killed almost this same way...rode his motorcycle into a chain because he didn't realize it was there...chain snapped and hit his neck. :(

I think i might have butchered that story. If my friend reads this, maybe she'll fix it :)
    [/quote]

Correct. 
    Hotsauce McGilacuty - You can't kill ghosts. They're already dead.

Thread Information