This happened in my town just today. My kid saw it go down, 
Apparently the wings came off in the air, and the plane just plummeted like bullet right onto the Golf Hammock golf course. Debris covered the whole housing community. Witnesses say one guy was thrown out of the plane before it hit the ground.

Here's the Fox News story and a couple pics. I added a couple lines from the local news.

SEBRING -- Two men  were killed in a plane crash Saturday in Sebring, according to the Highland County Sheriff's Office.

A small, single-engine plane crashed into Golf Hammock, a residential golf community.

The view from SkyFox showed the plane broken into three parts, spread out over about 100 yards.

No homes appeared to be damaged.

The pilot and passenger were identified as James Weener, 70; and passenger James Richer, 46.

Weener was a retired missionary and had 50 years' experience as a pilot. He was reportedly giving a plane ride to Richer as thanks for volunteer work he had done.

Witnesses report seeing the plane break up in midair and saw at least three sections of the plane fall from the sky, as well as the pilot and passenger.

The FAA is investigating the cause of the crash.